Rams 2023 coaching changes

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Like Reich as well - but wonder why Olsen isn't in the running, unless he doesn't want it.
He did it with the Raiders.
Olson as a play caller has not been stellar. Very good assistant coach, but his play calling is checkered at best. I like if McVay stays to bring in Frank Reich and empower Reich to call the plays freeing up Coach McVay and taking some stress off his plate.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Same could have been said for O'Connell and look at him now
We have already seen what he has done as a head coach, O’Connell was an unknown before taking over the Vikings.

And, you didn’t answer my question so I can only presume you have nothing to base it on.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Olson as a play caller has not been stellar. Very good assistant coach, but his play calling is checkered at best. I like if McVay stays to bring in Frank Reich and empower Reich to call the plays freeing up Coach McVay and taking some stress off his plate.
Yes Reich and Gruden are both former OCs with good tape fielding an offense at this level. Reich in particular being from another WCO tree is not a bad thing for McVay.

I think Reich is simply a great person too. The kind of assistant on offense that McVay sorely needs. He really would be able to hand it all over to him and be the head coach, only problem is Frank is well liked around the league so he'll be hard to get and also owners will want to hire him away.

Gruden offers advantages there I think. Not quite as attractive to owners which is a good thing for Sean.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Gruden offers advantages there I think. Not quite as attractive to owners which is a good thing for Sean.
FWIW, I'm not a Jay Gruden fan, but that was because of a personal encounter. Met Jay years ago up in Saratoga when he was Head Coach of Washington and did not come away impressed at all. In fact, I was shocked how he handled himself.

Again that was years ago, but I call them as I see them.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We have already seen what he has done as a head coach, O’Connell was an unknown before taking over the Vikings.

And, you didn’t answer my question so I can only presume you have nothing to base it on.
Some bad coaches make good coordinators. So why is Kliff a lousy coach a death sentence at coordinator? Was Wade Phillps bad as DC? Raheem? Staley is a better coordinator than a coach. And I'm basing my wanting Kliff on Mvcay wanting him in 2018 and speaking highly of him. Is that okay or do you have a dickish response to that?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some bad coaches make good coordinators. So why is Kliff a lousy coach a death sentence at coordinator? Was Wade Phillps bad as DC? Raheem? Staley is a better coordinator than a coach. And I'm basing my wanting Kliff on Mvcay wanting him in 2018 and speaking highly of him. Is that okay or do you have a dickish response to that?
No dickish response from me but it’s fair to question is coaching choices isn’t it? Not all have worked out. he let Wade go and didn’t retain him so it’s fair to say he wanted an upgrade there but he also wanted Wade when he first showed up.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
No dickish response from me but it’s fair to question is coaching choices isn’t it? Not all have worked out. he let Wade go and didn’t retain him so it’s fair to say he wanted an upgrade there but he also wanted Wade when he first showed up.
Wade was also at the end of his contract. DL Coach Bill Johnson is a better example, he let him go and Johnson was one of Wade's good ole boys and then hired Eric Henderson from the Chargers an instant upgrade and moved on from Phillips after his 3 year deal was up.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wade was also at the end of his contract. DL Coach Bill Johnson is a better example, he let him go and Johnson was one of Wade's good ole boys and then hired Eric Henderson from the Chargers an instant upgrade and moved on from Phillips after his 3 year deal was up.
Yes that’s my point with Wade, he could have resigned him but wanted to move on from him. Wade was a good hire and wanted as DC when McVay first got here. But that opinion changed at the end of his contract. If he still wanted Wade he would still be our DC but that opinion changed.

I‘m not judging Wade, just pointing out McVay can and has changed his mind on coaches.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I said was that I hope Kliff was an option lol. I like his experience and he has run a successful offense.

And Wade is still a good example to me. Was he perfect? No. Could he run a functioning defense? Yes. I think Kliff could do the same with Mcvay.

Ellard80

Legend
FWIW, I'm not a Jay Gruden fan, but that was because of a personal encounter. Met Jay years ago up in Saratoga when he was Head Coach of Washington and did not come away impressed at all. In fact, I was shocked how he handled himself.

not the first time we have heard this on this board...

i dont want him either.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Yes I recall your story and know you are not impressed by him. I've always kept that in mind, that perhaps him allowing McVay to call plays early was so that he could put his feet up.

But maybe he's back in "prove himself" mode. Some guys are way better when they're hungry.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I said was that I hope Kliff was an option lol. I like his experience and he has run a successful offense.

And Wade is still a good example to me. Was he perfect? No. Could he run a functioning defense? Yes. I think Kliff could do the same with Mcvay.
And I hope he isn't, just my preference. Where has he ever been successful? For more than a handful of games. Even Patrick Peterson was shitting on his offense being exactly what they ran when he was there.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
And I hope he isn't, just my preference. Where has he ever been successful? For more than a handful of games. Even Patrick Peterson was shitting on his offense being exactly what they ran when he was there.
Kliff got the gig over in Arizona bc he is buddies with mcvay and a younger coach. There's no other way to explain it bc his record at Texas tech was nothing to praise.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kliff got the gig over in Arizona bc he is buddies with mcvay and a younger coach. There's no other way to explain it bc his record at Texas tech was nothing to praise.
Oh absolutely, hell their second tweet as a team after announcing him was something to the affect "hey he knows Sean McVay".

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
well I know he had one of the most explosive offenses last season. PP shitting on his offense could have been personal, don't you think/. But I can see why Kliff is questionable. But who are we expecting to grab under Mcvay who isn't either a complete unknown or questionable? Even Reich has questions.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
well I know he had one of the most explosive offenses last season. PP shitting on his offense could have been personal, don't you think/. But I can see why Kliff is questionable. But who are we expecting to grab under Mcvay who isn't either a complete unknown or questionable? Even Reich has questions.
The two that have been mentioned here have had successes that Kingsbury never has inReich and Jay Gruden.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The two that have been mentioned here have had successes that Kingsbury never has inReich and Jay Gruden.
I used to live in Maryland. When we hired Mcvay, Washington fans were disappointed that Gruden was kept instead of Mcvay. So I have to be careful with something so subjective. You call Gruden a success but Washington fans loathed him. I do think Reich got a bad end of a deal though.

Last edited: