Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
He is one of the best coaches in the league, and has the personality to be a head coach. That doesn’t mean he is in the same company as McVey and other elite head coaches, but he is a better candidate that at least half the head coaches that team owners have favoured -despite them not having his coaching experience and track record - or the overwhelming endorsement by the people who matter most, the players, where ever he has coached. I struggle to understand the hate and hope he succeeds.

We clearly need some draft picks and have a DC in waiting (who is a quite brilliant coach, and probably even better DC in waiting) - Henderson

This could and should be a win for Raheem, the team that potentially hires him, and the Rams. Personally I will never forget what his unit achieved in last years playoff run and SB win. They were outstanding. Defense wins championships and that was most definitely true for the 2021-2022 Rams

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regardless, I'd bet a ton of money there are lot of coaching interview that are only made to satisfy the Rooney rule.
Because the Rooney rule at it's core is exactly that. Teams are required to interview folks who have little chance of getting the job, unless they're Mike Tomlin who was so impressive he got the gig.
When a guy lands a GM job, and has to hire a HC, knowing his ass is on the line if it doesnt work out, likely will go with someone he's familiar with. But like in the case with Flores, he had an opportunity to flip the script and didnt.
Rooney rule is about giving access, not guaranteeing jobs

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Because the Rooney rule at it's core is exactly that. Teams are required to interview folks who have little chance of getting the job, unless they're Mike Tomlin who was so impressive he got the gig.
When a guy lands a GM job, and has to hire a HC, knowing his ass is on the line if it doesnt work out, likely will go with someone he's familiar with. But like in the case with Flores, he had an opportunity to flip the script and didnt.
Rooney rule is about giving access, not guaranteeing jobs
I would like to hear some context for the line I bolded.
I'd ask.. why do those folks have little chance of getting the job?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would like to hear some context for the line I bolded.
I'd ask.. why do those folks have little chance of getting the job?
Line 3
"When a guy lands a GM job, and has to hire a HC, knowing his ass is on the line if it doesnt work out, likely will go with someone he's familiar with"
We see the lists of names of coaches who interview, and know immediately that some of them really dont have a chance of getting the gig, regardless of their race/color/creed.
Mind you, a 5% chance is still a chance, seemingly as was the case with Tomlin
If a team has a pre-determined choice for HC, they still have to go thru the motions of interviewing and at that point all of the candidates are token interviews

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Line 3
"When a guy lands a GM job, and has to hire a HC, knowing his ass is on the line if it doesnt work out, likely will go with someone he's familiar with"
We see the lists of names of coaches who interview, and know immediately that some of them really dont have a chance of getting the gig, regardless of their race/color/creed.
Mind you, a 5% chance is still a chance, seemingly as was the case with Tomlin
If a team has a pre-determined choice for HC, they still have to go thru the motions of interviewing and at that point all of the candidates are token interviews
So, that would apply to pretty much everyone being interviewed, not just the guys brought in under the Rooney rule, right? The "5%" thing.

Fair assessment of the system.. and that's why the programs to hire/promote minority candidates are so key. They put more minority candidates in front of GMs and other front office types to gain familiarity.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, that would apply to pretty much everyone being interviewed, not just the guys brought in under the Rooney rule, right? The "5%" thing.

Fair assessment of the system.. and that's why the programs to hire/promote minority candidates are so key. They put more minority candidates in front of GMs and other front office types to gain familiarity.
Correct, the 5% are all the candidates that one can pretty much write off. McVay was a bit of a longshot himself when his name first bantered about, but his presentation made the Rams stop the presses.
As for the minority candidates? You cant get base hits without at bats. Increase the at bats, hits should increase as well. Interviewing is a skill in itself, so having more interviews helps build the skill set as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think the comp for Morris as a head coach is Vrabel. By that I mean Vrabel was never a DC who dominated offenses and was coming in as that expert on defense. It was more about his overall ability to lead the room both players and coaches. That is where Morris has his most value.

If he could attract a good OC he'd probably do pretty well. Problem for me is I don't want some dude who is unproven as our head coach. I'm over that shit. I want a guy who has shown he can do the job. Rams are an elite franchise now. Standards are higher. Let Morris go cut his teeth somewhere else far as I'm concerned and that goes for all the rest of McVay's staff.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I actually think Morris would be a better head coach than a DC. He's a motivator, and a good leader. But he'd have to get someone else to run the defense. And have a really good OC to run the offense, and have nothing to do with that himself.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hope not. Having an offensive head coach is an advantage in the NFL.

He is an offensive coach a long with a DC. He also was a young HC who could handle the job well.The players love Raheem.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
He is an offensive coach a long with a DC. He also was a young HC who could handle the job well.The players love Raheem
It has nothing to do with the players liking the coach. Stability in an offensive system is more important than stability on the defensive side. They would not run Morris' offense, they'd have to bring in an offensive coordinator. Even if they keep McVay's offense around with a current coach, eventually that coach will have to be replaced.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It has nothing to do with the players liking the coach. Stability in an offensive system is more important than stability on the defensive side. They would not run Morris' offense, they'd have to bring in an offensive coordinator. Even if they keep McVay's offense around with a current coach, eventually that coach will have to be replaced.

I don’t get it,because no matter what Mcvay’s offense is gone!! Once Mcvay’s gone he is gone.

In fact Raheem could hold the fort down for Mcvay if he was going to take time if,which I doubt because he is a workaholic.Just saying relationship wise IMO he trust Raheem like a big Bro.

Raheem Morris was on the offensive side of the ball in Atlanta,maybe even with Shanahan ? He has the ability to be a HC & run both a offense & defense.

I get what you’re saying & Kevin O’Connell got the Vikings job over Morris maybe because that was the thinking. To say he isn’t offensive mind is not a true statement.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Raheem Morris is an affable fellow and is beloved by coaches & players alike. However, I don't want him as my Head Coach because he reminds me of past assistants that had no success as Head Coaches. The list is plentiful of Assistants who took over for winners and were good coordinators or Assistants and it was an epic fail.

Teams are better off going outside the organization with another high profile assistant or hiring a proven winner, if one is available.

1. Marion Campbell (Eagles)...He was a brilliant DC, even worked for the Rams under George Allen 66-70, however, had a record of 6-19 when he was HC of the Falcons, he was Vermeil choice to take over the Eagles and the Eagles followed that recommendation, it was a disaster.
  2. Harland Svare (Chargers)...He took over for Sid Gillman who was a winner in San Diego, Svare had a record of 14-31-3 with the Los Angeles Rams the Chargers were doomed from the outset.
  3. Dennis Allen (Saints)...Allen had an 8-28 record with the Raiders and now as HC of the Saints finished the year at 7-10.
  4. Todd Bowles (Jets)...22-40 as HC of the New York Jets, first year in Tampa 8-9.
I'm truly hoping the Rams don't follow this Trend.

madrid311

RomandeacondickersonolsenwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Madrid311
i think it will be Morris. you know speaking of trends... it's the rams. only the rams could go from a Superbowl to the worst post season record in NFL history. 1 step forward one giant leap backwards. go rams

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
I don’t get it,because no matter what Mcvay’s offense is gone!! Once Mcvay’s gone he is gone.

In fact Raheem could hold the fort down for Mcvay if he was going to take time if,which I doubt because he is a workaholic.Just saying relationship wise IMO he trust Raheem like a big Bro.

Raheem Morris was on the offensive side of the ball in Atlanta,maybe even with Shanahan ? He has the ability to be a HC & run both a offense & defense.

I get what you’re saying & Kevin O’Connell got the Vikings job over Morris maybe because that was the thinking. To say he isn’t offensive mind is not a true statement.
I'm not saying he can't coach offensive positions, but he wouldn't run the offense. I like Morris. I wish he was an offensive coordinator, but the need for offensive stability is just too big in today's NFL. I'd choose Morris over a bad offensive coordinator, but I'd much prefer a good OC over any DC.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I'd choose Morris over a bad offensive coordinator, but I'd much prefer a good OC over any DC.
This is the only Morris I want to see roaming the Ram sidelines in 2023.
1673625621433.png

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Raheem Morris is an affable fellow and is beloved by coaches & players alike. However, I don't want him as my Head Coach because he reminds me of past assistants that had no success as Head Coaches. The list is plentiful of Assistants who took over for winners and were good coordinators or Assistants and it was an epic fail.

Teams are better off going outside the organization with another high profile assistant or hiring a proven winner, if one is available.

1. Marion Campbell (Eagles)...He was a brilliant DC, even worked for the Rams under George Allen 66-70, however, had a record of 6-19 when he was HC of the Falcons, he was Vermeil choice to take over the Eagles and the Eagles followed that recommendation, it was a disaster.
  2. Harland Svare (Chargers)...He took over for Sid Gillman who was a winner in San Diego, Svare had a record of 14-31-3 with the Los Angeles Rams the Chargers were doomed from the outset.
  3. Dennis Allen (Saints)...Allen had an 8-28 record with the Raiders and now as HC of the Saints finished the year at 7-10.
  4. Todd Bowles (Jets)...22-40 as HC of the New York Jets, first year in Tampa 8-9.
I'm truly hoping the Rams don't follow this Trend.
There is a lot of truth in what you say, Den. Hiring a head coach with a losing record isn't a good proposition. But it's not written in stone they will lose. There's a theory that when you draft a young stud QB, his success depends on what head coach he gets. Chances are good he's going to a shitty franchise picking high in the draft.

There's another theory a head coach needs a good QB to be successful. That also holds true. The problem for first time head coaches in the NFL is they usually don't get more than 3 years to turn things around. Exponentially, more times than not, they're taking over a franchise that hasn't been very successful or there wouldn't be a head coaching position open. They inherit players who the previous head coach couldn't win with and are expected to be successful by year 3 or they're gone.

Hell Morris was successful in his 2nd year. And he was handed a team without a QB so they drafted Josh Freeman. Morris went 10-6 in Tampa with Josh Freeman under center in year 2. Don't the Rams have a legit, talented, successful QB in Stafford? He'd be inheriting a team with a load of talent who had an off year because of an overwhelming number of injuries. This actually sounds like the perfect situation for a guy with experience, who's had limited success with much less to work with. On the other hand, it's also a great situation for a first time head coach.

And conversely, hiring a head coach with a winning record doesn't guarantee success either. Jimmy Johnson was a winner, got hired by the Dolphins and missed the playoffs all 4 years. Dick Vermeil was a winner in Philly, making the PS 3 times in 7 years there. In 8 years in St. Louis and KC he made the postseason twice. Sure he won the SB but was that Vermeil or hiring Martz and stumbling onto Warner? Jeff Fisher was a winner in Tennessee. John Fox was 119-89 in Carolina and Denver. In Chicago? 14-34. Dennis Green. Jim Mora. There's a long list of coaches who won, sometimes a lot and didn't do squat with another team.

If they end up needing a head coach, I don't pretend to know what they're going to do. Morris? Brown? Harbaugh? Payton? How about Quinn? Or Reich? Defense or offense?