Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if the run defense has more to do with Bobby Wagner than Raheem Morris .

oldnotdead

Legend
Hey I give credit to Morris for sinking this #1 defense into a mediocre unit (14-18). I give him credit for not knowing his roster, i.e. playing a slow 6th round CB and benching his 4th round CBs Durant and Rochell. I give him credit for being the only DC that plays a prevent scheme as his base defense.

I will give him credit for being an arrogant coach who won't listen to his players.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Stats can still look good for him...
For instance still ranked #10 in Rush yards against, 3rd in RZ TD%

But can look awful too
3rd down % 26th
4th down % 27th
Pass yards allowed 22nd
Pass Completion 21st
Points Against 21st
Sacks 21st

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I believe Morris would be a better Head Coach than D.C., so I sincerely hope there is an opportunity for him soon, ... and that 3'rd round Compensation pick would sure be a nice addition.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Arguably far more than half of the credit/blame for "Morris' Defense" belongs to McVay and Snead owns some shares as well.

I have plenty of my own complaints about our defense and I have been concerened since Staley's departure that the Rams lack any genuinely gifted minds for defensive scheme and strategy. Its too reliant on analytics, like it runs itself on probabilities and lacks the ability to surprise the opposing team. They know what we are doing and when we will do it.

All that said, I think it's fair to consider everything and try to understand why- The Rams D stats are what they are because the Rams O-line (and O in general) was what it was.

Replacing Morris isn't high on my offseason priority list, especially not if he'll be replaced by another stand-in to run it the same exact way... some new blood in that war room is definitely needed, but that's true for every part of our team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Wasn't even his defense. Bellicheat ran it designed it and called plays. Saying it was Flores' defense is like calling our offense Coens.
You have looked around the league haven’t you.

I guess Staley gets all the credit & Joe Barry none on that 2020 Rams defense.There were some nice assistants.
He HC’s that we’re Rams OC’s I believe are all going to The Playoffs. Just saying poor example & I’m glad Mcvay is taking responsibility for getting all those lineman hurt & calling such bad games.
Your right though there was a play call that almost cost The Rams to lose to the Raiders he said was a Horrible Play Call by him.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

But can look awful too
3rd down % 26th
4th down % 27th
Pass yards allowed 22nd
Pass Completion 21st
Points Against 21st
Sacks 21st
Many times run D is affected by how passing D is performing and visa versa. The yards per attempt helps clearify.

Being able to complete uncontested 5 and 10 yard passes will help the run D look better.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
McVay is not going to fire Morris. Morris will take a HC job before any of that even crosses McVay's thoughts.
Well easy to say & I agree.
The thing is Morris might become assistant HC & allow another coach to become DC

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Last season, we would not have won the championship without the stellar play of the defense. Morris deserves some credit for that. This year is a different story.

Sure, the offense is doing his defense no favors. But they've been playing poorly for much of the season. Guys like Andy Dalton and Colt McCoy have lit them up. The final 44 seconds in Tampa was a disaster. The final drive against Seattle was bad.

I think we just have to chalk this up to one of those years and move on. McVay has struggled too. Just shows that no matter how good you are with X's and O's you gotta have those Jim's and Joe's if you want to win.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
So Morris will accept a demotion?
I could see it,if that is what is best for both parties.

Will it happen? I’d say there is a good chance Raheem Morris will not not be The Rams DC next season. What or how that will happen depends on his opportunities. I could see him getting a HC job at a college level.

oldnotdead

Legend
Morris changed up how he played his defense in the playoffs, but during the regular season just like this year, he plays exceedingly soft. Morris knows better, he can play aggressively when he wants and this defense can get off the field on most 3rd downs. But when he plays his DBs behind the sticks hoping they can then run up and make the tackle after conceding the reception, is downright stupid. One missed tackle and the receiver makes the line to gain. I've never seen a DC play his DBs behind the sticks on a 3rd and long. I've rarely seen CBs lined up 10 - 15 yds off the LOS just on first downs!! But Morris does it frequently as part of his base prevent scheme.

Morris is squandering the talent on this roster. He has Durant and Rochell who are both better than Kendrick but he refuses to play them. Instead, he's playing Yeast and Kendrick. WTF? This defense has the personnel to be truly fearsome, but not when it's played by a pussy like Morris. Why do you think sacks are down? Even the fucking announcers can see it when they talk about Morris' soft scheme. Morris doesn't give AD enough time to get there and he's fucking fast. This is what I'm talking about. I want a DC that will play to the personnel's strengths not turn them into a bunch of pussies.

If Morris would simply can his stupid base prevent defense then I wouldn't have an issue with him. But his fear of giving up the big play is beyond reason. Look at how many big plays his stupid prevent scheme allows!! If you guys are ok with mediocrity then obviously Morris is your man.

oldnotdead

Legend
Regarding Hoecht, hell I saw his potential last year when he was a rookie and said as much. I compared his speed and quickness to AD. So why didn't Morris see it? What took him so long to see the potential in a guy? Hoecht isn't an example of Morris's keen eye. It's the opposite. What took him so long and why did he move him away from his best position? So after two years, he's decided to make him an edge where he has never played? That will take at least a year or more. Why didn't Morris do it when Michael was a rookie? Because Morris doesn't know his roster beyond his buddies.

PARAM

Hall of Fame

But can look awful too
3rd down % 26th
4th down % 27th
Pass yards allowed 22nd
Pass Completion 21st
Points Against 21st
Sacks 21st
Two points.

Take away special team scores and defensive scores against our offense, Morris' D is tied for 15th in offensive points allowed.
And that's with an offense ranked #31 in yards and #26 in scoring as well as tied for 7th in interceptions thrown. We've scored 30 offensive TDs or less than 2 per game and opponents start their drive on the 30 yard line which is second best in the NFL.

Passing yards.....we're #22 but we're #16 in passing TDs allowed and there's only 9 defenses in the NFL who've allowed less TD's than the Rams D. Yards don't win games, points win games. And our offense doesn't score points!

Perhaps the good run D and RZ percentages force more FGs? The major problem with the D is pressuring the passer. Give Morris' good Edge play/QB pressure paired with an offense that can score points and this defense is fine.

We've score 1 or less offensive TDs 7 times. Unsurprisingly we're 0-7 in those games. We've scored 2 TDs in 6 others and we're 2-4. Go figure! We've scored 3 or more TDs 3 times this year and we're 3-0. But people want to fire Morris?

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Regarding Hoecht, hell I saw his potential last year when he was a rookie and said as much. I compared his speed and quickness to AD. So why didn't Morris see it? What took him so long to see the potential in a guy?
He was a rookie back in 2020, so you may as well question why Staley didnt see the ability either

oldnotdead

Legend
Dieterbrock: Staley was here one year

Morris has been here since January or 2021. His job is to know his roster. He's seen Hoecht for two TCs and preseasons. So now he moves Hoecht from 3T to DE and Jonah Williams from DE to 3T, both guys now playing in season at positions neither has played. Why not allow both players to play at the positions they have been at all along instead of during the season?

I'm not saying Hoecht can't play DE because clearly he can. But transitioning to a new position during a season is asking a lot of both. You aren't going to see either playing to their full potential as both will make a lot of mistakes as Hoecht has at DE. I'm not the only one saying this. Hell even the announcers were pointing out how clearly Hoecht wasn't ready to play outside after being a DT all along.

I hope Morris gets hired elsewhere but I doubt it. He will be a Rooney Rule interview that's all. I said it when Staley got hired by the Chargers that McVay should have promoted Ejiro Evero. With the coaching change in Denver maybe they still can. Just like McVay should have promoted Brown to OC instead of Coen. Now McVay has Greg Olson to replace Coen, but will he do it?

IMO Olson will get a HC offer before Raheem, but I hope he stays and becomes the OC in LA.