Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
If they end up needing a head coach, I don't pretend to know what they're going to do. Morris? Brown? Harbaugh? Payton? How about Quinn? Or Reich? Defense or offense?
Some great points there and I guess I just have a feeling about Morris, so I won't hide from that. I would always hire an offensive coach and the Rams for the most part have had a better history of hiring Offensive Coaches especially recently.

Granted Morris was very young when hired and he's talked about how better prepared he is, but I just get this feeling if he's a Head Coach, we will great at 10-7 and one post season win and that will be the high point.

But you're right about Quarterback, Zac Taylor would have been fired by now, if not for Joseph Lee Burrow. However, I would rather go with Sean Patrick Payton because not only does he have a winning percentage of .631 during the regular season, but he's brining in Vic Fangio as DC. Is Peyton John Fox, Jim Mora or Dennis Green? I don't think so, but I guess again we will have to take a wait and see approach.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
They said, "we have a plan" (if McVay steps away). That doesn't mean it's Morris or Brown, though that's what the media people close to the Rams speculate. So maybe we'll see what that plan is and maybe we won't. Or maybe it will be different than what has been speculated. I do know this, since Kroenke took over, Demoff and Snead seem to have a pretty good handle on things. McVay is McVay....he pushed us over the top....but it's not like if we lose him, we'll never be relevant again (or soon). We all would prefer not to, but......

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Some guys are better HCs than coordinators and I think Morris could be that guy.

I really prefer a more aggressive style of defense (and I certainly was very down on him prior to his shift post November of last season to a more clamped down D), but you can't argue with some elements of his game plans as we tend to be very stout where it matters

That said, I love his energy and hope he gets a HC job

Tano

Legend
Some guys are better HCs than coordinators and I think Morris could be that guy.

I really prefer a more aggressive style of defense (and I certainly was very down on him prior to his shift post November of last season to a more clamped down D), but you can't argue with some elements of his game plans as we tend to be very stout where it matters

That said, I love his energy and hope he gets a HC job
If he had done a more aggressive defense I would say let's keep him as DC because he does know how to do an aggressive defense.

But it astounded me that he did not believe enough in his players to play an aggressive defense.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It has nothing to do with the players liking the coach. Stability in an offensive system is more important than stability on the defensive side. They would not run Morris' offense, they'd have to bring in an offensive coordinator. Even if they keep McVay's offense around with a current coach, eventually that coach will have to be replaced.
Reid & Shanahan?

I’ll go with Belacheat,harbaugh & Tomlin. Spags or McDonald aren’t good coaches.That would be a tough call.
Raheem Morris is an affable fellow and is beloved by coaches & players alike. However, I don't want him as my Head Coach because he reminds me of past assistants that had no success as Head Coaches. The list is plentiful of Assistants who took over for winners and were good coordinators or Assistants and it was an epic fail.

Teams are better off going outside the organization with another high profile assistant or hiring a proven winner, if one is available.

1. Marion Campbell (Eagles)...He was a brilliant DC, even worked for the Rams under George Allen 66-70, however, had a record of 6-19 when he was HC of the Falcons, he was Vermeil choice to take over the Eagles and the Eagles followed that recommendation, it was a disaster.
  2. Harland Svare (Chargers)...He took over for Sid Gillman who was a winner in San Diego, Svare had a record of 14-31-3 with the Los Angeles Rams the Chargers were doomed from the outset.
  3. Dennis Allen (Saints)...Allen had an 8-28 record with the Raiders and now as HC of the Saints finished the year at 7-10.
  4. Todd Bowles (Jets)...22-40 as HC of the New York Jets, first year in Tampa 8-9.
I'm truly hoping the Rams don't follow this Trend.
those coaches are from when ? I’m sure I could find some coaches that would favor the opposite? Not sure though,or willing to look.

—My point being Raheem Morris was always going to be that guy. He has been talking the talk & is ready for this opportunity.

Sounds like you might want to start a go fund me page with hope. IMO he will be the choice if push comes to shove.(we can put some Rod-coin on that) .Still think Mcvay is not a quitter & he would lose rest for himself if he is looking in the mirror for years to come.MONEY will play a key?

Raheem Morris before he became The Rams DC he had players rally behind him & was winning with a poor team.The Rams would also get some needed comp picks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They said, "we have a plan" (if McVay steps away). That doesn't mean it's Morris or Brown, though that's what the media people close to the Rams speculate. So maybe we'll see what that plan is and maybe we won't. Or maybe it will be different than what has been speculated. I do know this, since Kroenke took over, Demoff and Snead seem to have a pretty good handle on things. McVay is McVay....he pushed us over the top....but it's not like if we lose him, we'll never be relevant again (or soon). We all would prefer not to, but......

So What’s your call ? I don’t see The Rams not bringing most of the coaching staff back & Raheem Morris as some kind of a HC(assistant). depending on if Mcvay is back or not.

my call is stays quo with weeding out some old ?

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well I guess my point on Morris is he must feel comfortable with The Rams. He has not interviewed. He is tight with Sean Mcvay so I’m sure he had a good sense of what the decision was going to be either way.
Glad Mcvay is coming back.

Mcvay knows he needs to put his staff together early,before all the assistants go else where. He said not getting the time off would hurt his chances to get an early start & stay ahead of the game.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Respect to a friend for making the decision early & making sure he has the best opportunity to be successful. Raheem deserves this.

Now I maybe totally wrong about Morris coming back at all.
As the wheel turns,down a hidden path.

I will say he makes a better coach than Jeff Saturday,plus The NFL might put pressure on the owner ?? Just random thoughts.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IF Morris sticks around we're gonna need to load guys who fit what he wants to call. Safety needs an overhaul regardless as well. You can get good return from the way he calls it if you have enough quality back there that fits.

But I suspect he'll move on or McVay will move on. Reason being I think the defense McVay wants to play is the Fangio tree so he'll look for someone who is steeped in that style. It was great while it lasted and they'll always have that Super Bowl victory together.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
those coaches are from when ? I’m sure I could find some coaches that would favor the opposite? Not sure though,or willing to look.

—My point being Raheem Morris was always going to be that guy. He has been talking the talk & is ready for this opportunity.

Sounds like you might want to start a go fund me page with hope. IMO he will be the choice if push comes to shove.(we can put some Rod-coin on that) .Still think Mcvay is not a quitter & he would lose rest for himself if he is looking in the mirror for years to come.MONEY will play a key?

Raheem Morris before he became The Rams DC he had players rally behind him & was winning with a poor team.The Rams would also get some needed comp picks.
Well as to your first question, Allen & Bowles were this year, see what I did was sprinkle in some history with modern day, people do that from time to time.

As to Coaches who had a losing record and then won, yes there are a few and I will do the work for you. Mike Shanahan started out with the Raiders and was 8-12 after 20 games. Marv Levy was 30-42 in 4/12 years with the Chiefs before winning big in Buffalo.

Morris could be the next Marv Levy, but my other angle was he really reminded more like Dennis Allen & Todd Bowles and I think Raheem Morris is a tremendous individual and the players love playing for him, but I feel he's more like Allen & Bowles than Mike Shanahan & Marv Levy and I hope I'm wrong, but I would rather be wrong with Morris coaching the Indianapolis Colts or the Carolina Panthers than the Los Angeles Rams.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Well as to your first question, Allen & Bowles were this year, see what I did was sprinkle in some history with modern day, people do that from time to time.

As to Coaches who had a losing record and then won, yes there are a few and I will do the work for you. Mike Shanahan started out with the Raiders and was 8-12 after 20 games. Marv Levy was 30-42 in 4/12 years with the Chiefs before winning big in Buffalo.

Morris could be the next Marv Levy, but my other angle was he really reminded more like Dennis Allen & Todd Bowles and I think Raheem Morris is a tremendous individual and the players love playing for him, but I feel he's more like Allen & Bowles than Mike Shanahan & Marv Levy and I hope I'm wrong, but I would rather be wrong with Morris coaching the Indianapolis Colts or the Carolina Panthers than the Los Angeles Rams.
The good thing is you don’t have to worry anymore about him being the HC right now of The Rams.
IMO he moves on & might even be the DC of the Vikings(rumors) ? He still is just 46 & keeps learning more.I’m sure he gathered a binder from his Mcvay experience. I wanted him back,but the writing looks like it’s on the wall for him to move on.
Raheem once again imo is more like a mentor that helped Mcvay his first season,but sort of restrained him from being more himself & free.
I know a lot of folks around here have been haters & blamed him for no real reason(there was at times),calling for his firing.
—Point being Mcvay needs a young innovated coach to keep him fired & emery on warp speed.He is an adrenaline junky,who likes the raw raw types around him.

As for Raheem Morris,I’ll just say I think he will be positive to any team he coaches. Even if he is back with The Rams.Mcvay will still need that pump you up guy.
The Special teams coach D’ needs to go though.Youth is needed there,or a different energy.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
As for Raheem Morris,I’ll just say I think he will be positive to any team he coaches. Even if he is back with The Rams.Mcvay will still need that pump you up guy.
The Special teams coach D’ needs to go though.Youth is needed there,or a different energy.
I concur on a new Special Teams Coach, we will have to see how it shakes out, but Chris Tabor (Panthers) and with the Bears previously would be an excellent hire IMHO, if Carolina lets him go because the new HC there could definitely keep him.