Raheem Morris discussion thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dieterbrock: Staley was here one year
You said that when he was a rookie, that Morris didnt see his talent. Well, Morris wasnt the coach when he was a rookie, Staley was. So the answer is that Staley didnt see it, but Morris did as he is the DC that gave Hoecht his chance to play.
Your own words, not mine.
Morris developed him, Staley didnt

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Last season, we would not have won the championship without the stellar play of the defense. Morris deserves some credit for that. This year is a different story.

Sure, the offense is doing his defense no favors. But they've been playing poorly for much of the season. Guys like Andy Dalton and Colt McCoy have lit them up. The final 44 seconds in Tampa was a disaster. The final drive against Seattle was bad.

I think we just have to chalk this up to one of those years and move on. McVay has struggled too. Just shows that no matter how good you are with X's and O's you gotta have those Jim's and Joe's if you want to win.

The defense we had with the Greatest Show On Turf would have been crap if we punted 7 times per game and scored only 16 points per game. With a great offense, that defense was top 10.

To be honest, Jeff Fisher's defenses would probably have been top 5 - 10 if he was able to put together a potent offense.

Tano

Legend
The defense we had with the Greatest Show On Turf would have been crap if we punted 7 times per game and scored only 16 points per game. With a great offense, that defense was top 10.

To be honest, Jeff Fisher's defenses would probably have been top 5 - 10 if he was able to put together a potent offense.
I think Jeff Fisher's defenses were top 10 those years even with their crap offenses

I keep remembering either winning games 9-3 or losing 17-14

And our defense kept us somewhat close in 1998 when we had a crap offense

And 2000 we had a crap defense even though we had a number 1 offense for the majority of the year

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Morris changed up how he played his defense in the playoffs, but during the regular season just like this year, he plays exceedingly soft. Morris knows better, he can play aggressively when he wants and this defense can get off the field on most 3rd downs. But when he plays his DBs behind the sticks hoping they can then run up and make the tackle after conceding the reception, is downright stupid. One missed tackle and the receiver makes the line to gain. I've never seen a DC play his DBs behind the sticks on a 3rd and long. I've rarely seen CBs lined up 10 - 15 yds off the LOS just on first downs!! But Morris does it frequently as part of his base prevent scheme.

Morris is squandering the talent on this roster. He has Durant and Rochell who are both better than Kendrick but he refuses to play them. Instead, he's playing Yeast and Kendrick. WTF? This defense has the personnel to be truly fearsome, but not when it's played by a pussy like Morris. Why do you think sacks are down? Even the fucking announcers can see it when they talk about Morris' soft scheme. Morris doesn't give AD enough time to get there and he's fucking fast. This is what I'm talking about. I want a DC that will play to the personnel's strengths not turn them into a bunch of pussies.

If Morris would simply can his stupid base prevent defense then I wouldn't have an issue with him. But his fear of giving up the big play is beyond reason. Look at how many big plays his stupid prevent scheme allows!! If you guys are ok with mediocrity then obviously Morris is your man.

I get that Morris isn't exactly the best DC, but you cannot insult people who work for our team in that way. Can you express joy if/when they're gone? Sure, but only when they're gone. You've been here long enough to know how the rules of this forum work.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I think Jeff Fisher's defenses were top 10 those years even with their crap offenses

The Rams' Defense was not Top-10 (in points allowed) a single time in Fisher's five seasons (2012-2016).
In fact, the highest it was in that category was 13th.

Fisher, and especially Greg Williams talked-a-good-game but much of it was total bull-shit.

Williams is one of my least favorite coaches in 50 years of being an NFL fan. An arrogant bully (in my opinion) who flat-out lied about his success as a Defensive Coordinator ... and that part is NOT an opinion ... you can look up the stats and rankings.

When Greg Williams came to the Jets as their DC, he repeated a frequent lie that he had a top-10-defense in most every year he was a defensive coordinator. Living in NYC, I have family and friends that are die-hard Jets' fans; and they were excited to have Williams coaching the Defense. I tried to temper that confidence by explaining that Williams' Bravado was not supported by the facts, numbers and truth.

I looked-up the defensive rankings of the teams/years that Greg Williams was the DC ... very few top-10 results in either points allowed or total yards allowed.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
The Rams' Defense was not Top-10 (in points allowed) a single time in Fisher's five seasons (2012-2016).
In fact, the highest it was in that category was 13th.
That's not entirely true. It's the way the NFL ranks it though, which is lame if you want to talk about the 11 on defense and in turn the DC. The NFL ranks "team defense/points allowed" as every score allowed by the team. Including pick 6's, fumble returns, punt and kickoff returns, blocked punts and field goals returned for TDs and safeties. Mainly because they're "defending the offense, the opponents punt return team/kick return team" etc.

In 2014 the Rams DEFENSE allowed 30 offensive TDs and 25 FGs (285 points/17.8 ppg). That was good enough for #5 in that department if you are only ranking the 11 on defense. And that is the true measure of "scoring defense" IMHO. The Rams allowed 10 non-offensive TDs....1 KR, 3 Fum Ret, 5 pick 6's and 1 blocked kick/punt ret. So the only defenses who allowed less than the Rams D in 2014 were Seattle, Kansas City, Detroit (who says Stafford never had a defense with the Lions?) and Buffalo.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
In 2014 the Rams allowed 30 offensive TDs and 25 FGs (285 points/17.8 ppg). That was good enough for #5 in that department if you are only ranking the 11 on defense. And that is the true measure of "scoring defense" IMHO. The Rams allowed 10 non-offensive TDs....1 KR, 3 Fum Ret, 5 pick 6's and 1 blocked kick/punt ret. So the only defenses who allowed less than the Rams D in 2014 were Seattle, Kansas City, Detroit (who says Stafford never had a defense with the Lions?) and Buffalo.

Did you also look into "non-offensive TDs" allowed by the other 31 teams?

If you did, then Kudos to you for that level of research. I don't get to use Kudos very often ... thanks!

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Did you also look into "non-offensive TDs" allowed by the other 31 teams?

If you did, then Kudos to you for that level of research. I don't get to use Kudos very often ... thanks!
Yes I did.

That'll show the rushing and passing TD's on the left, the non offensive TDs and over to the right, the FGs made.

For instance, if you look at the Ravens (#5 in scoring defense on that 'inaccurate' list), they allowed 30 TDs just like the Rams but 30 FGs (5 more than the Rams) for 300 offensive points allowed. The Rams D allowed 285 and are listed #16, which is totally ridiculous if you're evaluating the DL-LBs-DBs and not the punt coverage, kick coverage, etc.

Which goes to show, at 6-10 with the #5 scoring DEFENSE, Fisher had bad special teams and offense. It takes all 3 phases, which is why Morris (and undoubtedly McVay) have chosen to play that shell defense. McVay is a coach who knows every phase of the game, including defense, so therefore it's just a little off to totally blame Morris for what we watch.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Yes I did.

That'll show the rushing and passing TD's on the left, the non offensive TDs and over to the right, the FGs made.

For instance, if you look at the Ravens (#5 in scoring defense on that 'inaccurate' list), they allowed 30 TDs just like the Rams but 30 FGs (5 more than the Rams) for 300 offensive points allowed. The Rams D allowed 285 and are listed #16, which is totally ridiculous if you're evaluating the DL-LBs-DBs and not the punt coverage, kick coverage, etc.

Which goes to show, at 6-10 with the #5 scoring DEFENSE, Fisher had bad special teams and offense. It takes all 3 phases, which is why Morris (and undoubtedly McVay) have chosen to play that shell defense. McVay is a coach who knows every phase of the game, including defense, so therefore it's just a little off to totally blame Morris for what we watch.
I trust you. Always trust a Crazy Legs Hirsch man. Again, Kudos!

oldnotdead

Legend
One parting shot: Raheem's prevent style base has been a complete and utter failure. Morris wanted to prevent or limit big plays. But now with only one game left a huge stat stands out. The Ram D is ranked 4th in downfield passes allowed which is atrocious. It shows when the D plays soft they fail as does his bend not break philosophy.

If Morris plays his defense soft against the Seahawks the Rams have zero chance in this game. Smith is ranked among the best this season in his downfield passing. When Morris plays tight the Rams D plays well. The problem is Morris plays the majority of the snaps ultra-soft and allows the offense which does not prevent the offense from making big plays. That's why IMO he needs to go.

IMO it's a reason Donald is thinking about not playing again this season. He doesn't want to waste another year. His absence along the sidelines is notable as it shows he's already moving on from the NFL. He's already retired this current season so I think it would be no surprise if he announces his retirement in a few weeks.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
D played inspired tonight just couldn’t overcome the refs.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Hopefully these aren't just Rooney rule interviews. Hate to think that, but seems to happen a lot. aka Flores

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully these aren't just Rooney rule interviews. Hate to think that, but seems to happen a lot. aka Flores
Flores? Rooney rule had nothing to do with his interview, he just lost out to the better guy in Daboll.
Just like I lost to the better guy when I insisted to @den-the-coach that the Giants made a mistake and he said they picked the right guy

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Flores? Rooney rule had nothing to do with his interview, he just lost out to the better guy in Daboll.
Just like I lost to the better guy when I insisted to @den-the-coach that the Giants made a mistake and he said they picked the right guy

Wasn't his lawsuit about the fact they told him in the interview it was only a Rooney rule interview?

Flores claims he was put through sham interviews for the sake of appearance, and that the Rooney Rule "has failed to yield any meaningful change to an institution so fully steeped in discriminatory practices."

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wasn't his lawsuit about the fact they told him in the interview it was only a Rooney rule interview?
No it was about him trying to attach the Giants to his suit against Miami. He's all butt-hurt they hired Daboll over him
He's got legit beef with Miami, but he sets the Rooney rule back by crying about the Giants gig IMO

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
No it was about him trying to attach the Giants to his suit against Miami. He's all butt-hurt they hired Daboll over him
He's got legit beef with Miami, but he sets the Rooney rule back by crying about the Giants gig IMO
Regardless, I'd bet a ton of money there are lot of coaching interview that are only made to satisfy the Rooney rule.
If I were a GM and had to follow that rule, then I'd try to legit bring in people I'd be willing to hire and not just an interview to satisfy that rule. But I'm guessing that most of the time they know who they really want and bring in some interviews just to satisfy the rule.

So that's why I said I hope they are legit. He's a great players coach, and probably makes a better head coach than a DC in my honest opinion.