(Poll) Goff or Wentz Part Deux. Who do YOU want?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Who do YOU want to draft as the Rams next franchise QB?

• Jared Goff

• Carson Wentz

• These pretzels are making me thirsty

Results are only viewable after voting.

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
The reason for re-polling us because many Rams fans hadn't done much homework/evaluation on either of these QB's because picking at #15 meant both were well out of reach. No point really.

Since the trade up everyone has dissected these guys and can form a more informed opinion. Another reason for the new poll is because i set the first poll so that no one can change their vote.
I was into Cook and Lynch before the trade for obvious reasons.

Since the trade I like both Goff and Wentz but the more I study Goff the more I like.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jesus, jrry. Tavon, Aaron Donald, and now Goff. All your guys very early in the draft process, guys you pounded the table for, and all guys that it didn't seem likely that we would be interested in or in a position to draft.

Either you are in the Rams war room, you are clairvoyant, or your temper tantrums are actually magical.

Maybe I should throw a tantrum demanding a Super Bowl win? ;)

Name
Chris
I work in clinical research. As such, I have a statistical medical background. I see no validity in another poll asking the same question because the Eagles traded up. That is not a confounding variable. Why not just continue the poll? I suspect you have reached critical mass on the board, and a certain % of the membership didn't like the outcome.

When the Rams formally make their pick, there will be no "do overs".

No disrespect, just my opinion. With that said...

There are question marks for both these very talented young men, and neither will win a SB next year. I sincerely hope they both end up in systems that allow them to be their best. They are both good human beings.

I am in my 50's and my time on this earth says Wentz will ultimately be the better QB for reasons I've already stated.

Manning won't be remembered for his rookie season, and I suspect none here intend on being fans for one season either.

IMHO, Manning was respected for his intelligence, commitment to excellence, work ethic, decision making pre snap, passing skills and the very fact that he was/is a winner. I like what Wentz possesses today, and believe his shortcomings arent as great as many think and he will adapt quickly.

Good news is time will tell.

Fisher requested the new poll, I specifically heard him tell the OP that the rams were leaning towards drafting the pretzel but could only do so if the pretzel won the poll. Needless to say we are all relieved the pretzel is getting so few votes. :)

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
If you were to pin me down to pick the most important trait for a successful QB; it would be processing speed.

I believe this is a strength for Goff. It is the single biggest reason I lean his way.

I love Wentz size and arm, physical traits, etc... but can he process fast enough when the bullets are flying? Coming from lesser competition, that is an unknown element for me.

Having had these days to evaluate; I feel Goff is a considerably safer pick. While I like them both, Goff is my pick and it's no longer a debate for me.

RamsSince1969

Ram It, Do You Know How To Ram It, Ram It
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From day 1, just looking at the stats, Goff really stands out and broke Aaron Rodgers Cal records. Wentz already had the injury bug bite him, and him running the ball like a runningback in the NFL makes me nervous. Wentz is something special and I can live with the pick if it goes that route.
I ultimately went team Goff due to him being part of a horrible 1-11 team and somehow turning them around. Also, him being one of the leading college TD passers in 2014 & 2015, that's impressive.
On a side note, Case Keenum had remarkable TD stats in college! Wow! Did not know that. No wonder we almost ran with him as our starter.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Where you been? Good to see you back. You also picked the right QB :whistle:

Not nearly as avid a NFL fan as I had been in the past. And even then, I might have been a bit more of an NFL draft fan anyway. But, I'll probably stop by from time to time.

Quick Tidbits.

What's done is done, but I wouldn't have made that trade up.
And I stand by my January comments:

I know I'm in the minority, but Wentz is the only QB I like in the first round.

AND my next favorite QB is actually Stanford's Kevin Hogan.

Plus, I would love to see Cardale Jones brought in as a developmental project.
http://www.ramsondemand.com/threads...ll-of-promise-and-projects.42261/#post-691097

Last edited:

FloridaBison

Dreamin of the back 9
Name
floridabison
Not sure if anyone listened to the interview with Kurt Warner on NFL Radio "End Zone" about 10:00 AM Pacific today.

I was very surprised to hear him say he changed his mind on who the Rams should draft.

Wentz is his choice. FWIW. I highly doubt it will change anything.

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I want Wentz, but I wouldn't be opposed to Goff.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Not sure if anyone listened to the interview with Kurt Warner on NFL Radio "End Zone" about 10:00 AM Pacific today.

I was very surprised to hear him say he changed his mind on who the Rams should draft.

Why did he change his mind?

FloridaBison

Dreamin of the back 9
Name
floridabison
Why did he change his mind?

Ken. I wasn't listening very closely. I assumed he would make his pitch for Goff as he has in the past. Surprised the heck out of me. Tried to find a quote online when I got home and couldn't.

He did more research on Wentz. He learned Wentz worked under center in a pro-set (WCO) similar to the Rams and that he has ++ intelligence. He felt Wentz would have an easier transition.

---Kind of sad that he was stating an opinion with incomplete intel. Makes you wonder though.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Great, now Warner is encouraging Mojo...

I swear it's like herding cats...

cat_herders-630x335.png

Shawnbb158

Starter
Signs point strongly to Jared Goff as the first pick
Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2016, 10:00 PM EDT
zz04nzdiodaymja2nda1mdjkyzy0odu5mtmwmdhmoweyoa-e1461549540700.jpeg
AP
Immediately after the Rams traded up from No. 15 to No. 1 in the draft, it seemed that the Rams would select quarterbackCarson Wentz. Ultimately, conflicting reports emerged regarding whether the Rams would take Wentz or quarterback Jared Goff — and that’s perhaps exactly what the Rams wanted.

As time has passed, a very strong sense has emerged that Goff will indeed be the selection. The decision of the Eagles, who reportedly covet Wentz not Goff, to move to No. 2 suggests strongly that the Eagles know that Goff will be the pick in Los Angeles. Perhaps the only thing that would keep that from happening at this point would be Goff figuratively (or literally) being hit by a bus between now and Thursday night.

The clearest sign that Goff will be the guy comes from Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, who reported after the trade that the Rams were “targeting” Wentz. Farmer has since done a 180.

“Although I first thought the Rams’ pick was Carson Wentz, I believe I misread the signs,” Farmer said Sunday on Twitter. “Mark me down for Jared Goff.”

Mark me down for Goff, too. If Farmer now believes it, that’s good enough for me.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Why u post this in two different threads?

Isn't Florio's stink bad enough in one???

Name
Chris
Signs point strongly to Jared Goff as the first pick
Posted by Mike Florio on April 24, 2016, 10:00 PM EDT
zz04nzdiodaymja2nda1mdjkyzy0odu5mtmwmdhmoweyoa-e1461549540700.jpeg
AP
Immediately after the Rams traded up from No. 15 to No. 1 in the draft, it seemed that the Rams would select quarterbackCarson Wentz. Ultimately, conflicting reports emerged regarding whether the Rams would take Wentz or quarterback Jared Goff — and that’s perhaps exactly what the Rams wanted.

As time has passed, a very strong sense has emerged that Goff will indeed be the selection. The decision of the Eagles, who reportedly covet Wentz not Goff, to move to No. 2 suggests strongly that the Eagles know that Goff will be the pick in Los Angeles. Perhaps the only thing that would keep that from happening at this point would be Goff figuratively (or literally) being hit by a bus between now and Thursday night.

The clearest sign that Goff will be the guy comes from Sam Farmer of the Los Angeles Times, who reported after the trade that the Rams were “targeting” Wentz. Farmer has since done a 180.

“Although I first thought the Rams’ pick was Carson Wentz, I believe I misread the signs,” Farmer said Sunday on Twitter. “Mark me down for Jared Goff.”

Mark me down for Goff, too. If Farmer now believes it, that’s good enough for me.
Another talking head who formed an opinion without watching film now changing his opinion. I get they are paid for an opinion but come on man, pretty much every analyst out there was on the Wentz train until it switched to Goff. Now they are all switching because they are hearing something different. I'm OK with reporting on rumors but most of the guys throw up some highlights and throw some he does this or that well as justification. If you're reporting off rumors or what someone else said just say it, dont act like you know talent when your reporting rumors.

So tired of these so called analyst. They report rumors in the first place and then double down when what they reported might be wrong to CYA, the sad thing is the CYA is based on more rumors.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Florio: cyst on one's butt

As in, "sorry, Sally, the Santorum got on your Florio. You're definitely gonna have to shower now."

Name
Chris

Be curious to hear more about this also especially why he changed his mind. I did some searching and couldn't find anything other than Warner prefers Goff because he is more polished and is tired of hearing about guys with potential. Really hoping you can provide more validation on this.

Last edited:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
i would be happy with Either QB but I do a liking for Wentz don't know what it is but there is something about the kid I like

all I really know is there is probably 3 maybe 4 people who know who is the pick is with 100% certainty that's Fisher Snead Stan and maybe the kid themselves

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Just had some chocolate covered pretzels...man were they good!

http://draftbreakdown.com/2016-nfl-draft-prospect-interview-carson-wentz-qb-north-dakota-state/

2016 NFL Draft Prospect Interview: Carson Wentz, QB North Dakota State
Written by Pete Smith on April 25, 2016

2016-01-09T211514Z_742877537_NOCID_RTRMADP_3_NCAA-FOOTBALL-FCS-CHAMPIONSHIP-JACKSONVILLE-STATE-VS-NORTH-DAKOTA-STATE.JPG

Carson Wentz led the North Dakota State Bison to back to back FCS National Championships and was part of the team that has won 5 straight. It wasn’t really until his 2nd FCS Title game that most fans were exposed to Wentz and even then, for most people it was the Senior Bowl.

From the Senior Bowl to the NFL Scouting Combine to his Pro Day, Wentz has continued to check boxes for a number of NFL teams while being a divisive topic between fans and media. Now, it appears as though Wentz is going to be one of the top 2 picks in the 2016 NFL Draft with a team willing to use a ton of resources to make sure they could land the Bison Signal Caller.

I was fortunate to be able to ask 11 questions of North Dakota State’s No. 11.

Pete Smith: What’s the feeling knowing a team wanted you badly enough that they basically willing to do anything to make sure they got you?

Carson Wentz: Well, we’ll have to see if that’s for sure the case, but if it is, it means a lot. Obviously, throughout this whole process, all I’ve wanted is to go to a team that believes in me and wants me. I think we’ll find out soon enough who that is, but it’s exciting to know that there are teams out there and I’m just excited to find out who that is.

PS: As people tend to do, they have framed this draft as you v. Jared Goff, but obviously you know each other, have worked together and see a lot of each other. How is the dynamic between you two?

CW: Yea, it’s been good, you know, out there training together. We were kinda training out there at the same time, but we also had our own time in the film room and on the field, we had our own individual time as well, but we were around each other quite a bit. We hung out together a couple times. It’s a good dynamic.

Obviously, both of us are competitors and we want to get drafted and all those things, but we’re both going to be rooting for each other throughout our careers and hopefully playing each other for a long time.

PS: What did you want to accomplish at the Senior Bowl?

CW: I think I just wanted to put to rest any of the question marks that I can’t play at that speed. You know, going from there, I think people knew what I was capable of and I know I wasn’t quite on the map to a lot of people, you know, and I think I went in there and showed that I wasn’t just able to play at that speed. I was able to excel, not be fazed at all by it. I thought I went in there and I did that.

PS: From watching your tape at North Dakota State to seeing you at the Senior Bowl, it seems like you’ve put a lot of emphasis on improving your footwork. What are you doing to address it and how good do you feel about where you are with that now?

CW: Yea, you know, that’s an ongoing thing is always trying to refine your footwork; always trying to be more efficient. You always want to be as clean as you can be, so it’s like second nature.

I think at North Dakota State from my junior year to my senior year it got a heckuva lot better, but it’s always one of those things that you can continue to refine because your footwork, it leads to accuracy. Being consistent with that will lead to being consistently accurate. It’s a thing that I’m really focused on with all sorts of drills and, you know, continuing just repeat, repeat, repeat until it becomes second nature.

PS: You ran quarterback the ball with power at North Dakota State, even running quarterback power. Do you envision yourself running the same way in the NFL or do you see yourself trying to protect yourself more?

CW: Yea, for one, I don’t envision those plays being called as much at the next level either, but I’m definitely going to learn to protect myself. In college when your number gets called, as a competitor, I just turned into a running back, but I understand at the next level, that’s not how it’s gonna be. I’ll definitely find ways to protect myself and hopefully stay on the field.

PS: More satisfying for you: Making a big play with your arm or making a big play with your legs?

CW: Definitely with my arm. I think it’s exciting, showing a bit of athleticism when you do it with your feet, but there’s nothing more enjoyable than dropping back and picking teams apart.

PS: Because some people maybe don’t appreciate FCS football as much as maybe they should, do they underrate the challenge involved with taking over a team that won 3 national championships in a row, extending the streak to 5?

CW: Yea, I think first of all, I think when teams ask about the level of competition, my first thought is, you know, it actually is a pretty good level of competition. I think especially in the conference we played in was very competitive, you know, a lot of talented players and I think that sort of speaks for itself.

Obviously, I inherited a lot of pressure. People kind of put that to the side, but I inherited a lot of pressure trying to replace a 3-time National Champion, but I took it with a grain of salt and ran with it. I wanted to be my own player and made the most of my 2 years and my opportunities there.

PS: Is it a frustrating or maybe insulting notion that people say things like, “Well, Brock Jenson didn’t become a great NFL quarterback.” and “Easton Stick played just as well when you were out with your injured wrist.”? This idea that you’re just another guy or maybe they’re trying to devalue some of the other quarterbacks from that program.

CW: It’s just one of those things that are out of my control. I don’t get caught up or hung up with it. And my biggest thing throughout all of this is I’ve got kind of a chip on my shoulder my whole life. I’ve always had that and if people want to doubt that or use that as a knock, it’s like okay, that’s totally fine. I can’t control your opinion. I can make you rethink that opinion, hopefully, in a couple years.

PS: Isn’t it sort of frustrating that you guys were so good and the teams before you scared off FBS opponents from scheduling you? That you didn’t get to go out there and make a big statement against those teams?

CW: Um, you know, it kind of just was what it was. I think the success we had at North Dakota State, I wouldn’t change that for the world. I wouldn’t say frustrating, but obviously we embrace those opportunities to go up and play the FBS.

I think we’re 5-0 in our last 5 games, so obviously we’ve shown we can compete and excel, but we embrace those opportunities. All the guys have a chip on their shoulder. A lot of these schools passed up on them. We just want to show what we can do and I think we’ve done that and I think next year the team is scheduled to play the University of Iowa and I think that’s exciting for them. There’s always going to be a couple of those games, but fact that there are teams that want to avoid those ones is kinda just is what it is. I wouldn’t blame them to be honest with you.

PS: So many people, including myself have sort of prescribed how they think you should be developed in the NFL as far as sitting early vs. playing right away. What do you feel is the best path for you?

CW: You know, I’m not sure. You know, as a competitor, I know I’m gonna go in there and work my tail off and whatever the time table may end up being, that’s what it’s gonna be. I’m not in control of the coach’s choice and all those things.

I just know I’m more advanced coming out of college than most and I know I’m gonna be the hardest working guy in there and obviously I’m going in competing and I’ll work my tail off and, you know, when the time comes, hopefully sooner than later, but again, kind of outside of my control. I’ll just make the most of it and it’ll play out how it’s supposed to.

PS: I’m a big fan of your left tackle, Joe Haeg, but every time I see Joe Haeg speak, he inevitably answers questions about you, so I wanted to give you an opportunity to talk about him. What do you think a team is getting in Haeg?

CW: You know, with Joe, they’re getting a competitor and a really smart guy. I think Joe, over his years here – I mean senior year, he could’ve played any position on the OLine, which some might think is pretty simple, but in the system we ran with all the different things we did, that’s a lot more complicated than people think.

He was always one of the smartest guys, if not the smartest guy on the OLine. And he’s just a hard worker. It’s kind of the North Dakota State mindset. He came in as a skinny 250lb kid and now he’s developed into a 305lb NFL tackle, you know, and it’s been amazing to go through this journey with him and to see him progress as well. He’s also got some awesome leadership qualities and some “no nonsense” about him. Pretty simple guy but one of the hardest workers I’ve been around.

I'm having a hard time finding any media who still thinks Wentz goes #1 to the Rams.
First I hear Charles Davis, then Kurt Warner....it's a few out there..Cossell......all the ex-football guys really....

Not surprised at all...No one really knows...not even Snisher....and if it's that close, I hope they grab Wentz.

Last edited:

tahoe

Pro Bowler
You all are being sheeple, the media is being fed all this Goff stuff to create drama for the draft. Its going to be Wentz just wait and see.

Last edited: