Ot Greg Robinson Wows At Weigh-in

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I wish the combine did BMI ( body mass index) I swear Matthews looks leaner than Robinson,I'd also like to see them do O2 tests on them after exertion or some other way of testing recovery, a guy who can run a 4.1 and can't run again for five minutes does you only marginal good. Maybe have them run 1/2 mile or something ,I see nothing the combine does to test endurance.

jjab360

Legend
He may have wow'd them at the weigh in but here is what SCARES me:

"They may have been opponents in the biggest game of the 2013 season but Auburn's Greg Robinson and Alabama's Cyrus Kouandjio both looked like big winners on the first day of the combine.
Robinson, NFLDraftScout.com's No. 4 overall prospect, measured in at a massive 6-foot-5, 332 pounds with 35 inch arms. Kouandjio, was even longer, coming in at 6-foot-6, 322 pounds with 35 and 5/8 inch arms.

Each lack the elite agility to necessarily remain at left tackle early in their respective NFL careers but their length, physicality and aggression in the running game project well as potential right tackle converts. Also working in their favor is the success that the similarly built D.J. Fluker (6-foot-5, 339 pounds, 36 3/8 inch arms) enjoyed as a rookie, after earning the No. 11 overall selection of a year ago."

Please dear God don't draft a RT "convert" with 1A! DRAFT A SURE FIRE STAR WR!!!!!!

Incidentally, this is the exact knock I've heard against Robinson all a long.
The lack of understanding of the importance of all 5 O-linemen and not just the LT is getting annoying, tbh. This guy has legendary strength and power, I really don't care where he starts, he's going to be knocking the snot out of whoever he lines up across from all game long. I like Watkins, too, but the WR or die crowd is starting to get a little bit out of hand..

I wish the combine did BMI ( body mass index) I swear Matthews looks leaner than Robinson,I'd also like to see them do O2 tests on them after exertion or some other way of testing recovery, a guy who can run a 4.1 and can't run again for five minutes does you only marginal good. Maybe have them run 1/2 mile or something ,I see nothing the combine does to test endurance.

Well BMI is a simple ratio of height and weight, as they measure both they also measure BMI.

The things you see in the combine are a joke, it's the private interviews/workouts where most information is gleaned, that and game film, unless you're Al Davis then it's the only thing you pay attention to.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Well BMI is a simple ratio of height and weight, as they measure both they also measure BMI.

The things you see in the combine are a joke, it's the private interviews/workouts where most information is gleaned, that and game film, unless you're Al Davis then it's the only thing you pay attention to.
Nah BMI is % of body fat, we do it on wrestlers who aren't allowed to be below 7%

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
This guy has legendary strength and power
Hard to imagine how legendary it is without playing a snap against NFL DE's. Lots of players have entered the NFL being stronger than most, and still failed.

I really don't care where he starts
We should draft him and plug him in at tackle on running downs, then move him outside to WR on passing downs. This is a win win for the O-line vs. WR peeps :whistle:

Nah BMI is % of body fat, we do it on wrestlers who aren't allowed to be below 7%

The body mass index (BMI), or Quetelet index, is a measure for human body shape based on an individual's mass and height.

Devised between 1830 and 1850 by the Belgian polymath Adolphe Quetelet during the course of developing "social physics",[2] it is defined as the individual's body mass divided by the square of their height – with the value universally being given in units of kg/m2.

ca1d28d7c2c5e28a92aa2e34e9568d44.png
605695213ef434b312e9bc88d94ad2ee.png

a4d6e14c569ce639911fbdcb2ea3c936.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index

Unless it's another case of wikipedia (and every other website I can find) being wrong.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
For the average Joe you can measure height and weight and arrive at a ball park figure , but caliper tests or even body immersion is the most accurate way to determine it.
We've come a long way since 1830

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
When we determine it for wrestlers they even have to prove they are fully hydrated by giving urine specimens that are checked for specific gravity.

For the average Joe you can measure height and weight and arrive at a ball park figure , but caliper tests or even body immersion is the most accurate way to determine it.
We've come a long way since 1830

BMI is a clearly defined index, there are more accurate measures, but none of them are BMI.

jjab360

Legend
Hard to imagine how legendary it is without playing a snap against NFL DE's. Lots of players have entered the NFL being stronger than most, and still failed.
That's like saying it's hard to imagine how fast Watkins is without playing a snap against NFL CB's. Power is power, speed is speed. Either you got it or you don't, and it doesn't necessarily equate to being an NFL success. For the people who only understand WR terms, Robinson's strength is about as rare as 4.2 speed is for a receiver. Like I said, that alone won't make him an NFL stud, but when you combine it with his base, anchor, and quick feet, I have a hard time seeing this kid not being an all-pro player someday, whatever position he ends up at.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
That's like saying it's hard to imagine how fast Watkins is without playing a snap against NFL CB's. Power is power, speed is speed. Either you got it or you don't, and it doesn't necessarily equate to being an NFL success. For the people who only understand WR terms, Robinson's strength is about as rare as 4.2 speed is for a receiver. Like I said, that alone won't make him an NFL stud, but when you combine it with his base, anchor, and quick feet, I have a hard time seeing this kid not being an all-pro player someday, whatever position he ends up at.

I agree that his strength is great, can't deny that. But technique for a tackle is like route running for a WR. Watkins and Robinson both have good measurables, strength, speed, etc. But neither is near a complete product right now, and we can both agree on that. Both could become all-pros, both could be busts. I just like Watkins as a prospect better than Robinson at there respected positions. I am not even sure I want to draft Watkins. Still on the fence about wanting him or not. Not because of him, but because of of the WR's we have now. I don't see Robinson being an all-pro someday, I could be completely wrong, have been many times before, and I am no scout, but it's just how I feel right now at this point in time. That could change after the combine and pro-days and everything else though. We shall see.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree in this area for now.

jjab360

Legend
I agree that his strength is great, can't deny that. But technique for a tackle is like route running for a WR. Watkins and Robinson both have good measurables, strength, speed, etc. But neither is near a complete product right now, and we can both agree on that. Both could become all-pros, both could be busts. I just like Watkins as a prospect better than Robinson at there respected positions. I am not even sure I want to draft Watkins. Still on the fence about wanting him or not. Not because of him, but because of of the WR's we have now. I don't see Robinson being an all-pro someday, I could be completely wrong, have been many times before, and I am no scout, but it's just how I feel right now at this point in time. That could change after the combine and pro-days and everything else though. We shall see.

We are just going to have to agree to disagree in this area for now.
Looks like it, for what it's worth, I'm kind of on the fence as well. I want that explosive playmaker we've been lacking, but I also recognize that we already have some playmakers with a ton of potential that we could win with, and that an equally talented lineman would probably have the bigger impact in comparison.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Looks like it, for what it's worth, I'm kind of on the fence as well. I want that explosive playmaker we've been lacking, but I also recognize that we already have some playmakers with a ton of potential that we could win with, and that an equally talented lineman would probably have the bigger impact in comparison.

Can't argue that. Upgrading the line wold definitely have a big impact for our offense. We could grab a tackle early(robinson) and a wr at #13 or in the 2nd, or do it the opposite way and get a wr(watkins) and draft a tackle at #13 or in the 2nd. Right now I am in the latter and you are in the former. Nothing wrong with that. Heck, they might draft neither lol. Only time will tell how if they were worth drafting or not.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
BMI is a clearly defined index, there are more accurate measures, but none of them are BMI.
It's an index of body fat, methods of arriving at it are different ,height and weight are deceiving and less accurate than caliper tests I've seen guys 5ft 9 280 pounds who had bottom certifiable wrestling weight (7% body fat) at 220 and others who had bcw's 180. Now if you wish we can keep arguing nomenclature but the point was determining the players body fat and the method you propose is as you have said less accurate,so is it POSSIBLE to AGREE that since 1830 new methods have been devised to determine the same thing? ( body fat)and further that a player whose body fat is lower may have as much muscle as a bigger man ?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Matthews is much leaner than Robinson. He looks like a TE in terms of build but is 6'6" 308. He definitely has growth potential. Could add 5-10 pounds of good weight. Could add more if it's not all good weight. He's in amazing shape for an OL.

But I think I'll be quite content with him at 6'6" 313 or so. He has such great balance and nimble feet that I wouldn't want to mess with it.

I think a lot of people will be pleasantly surprised with him at the combine. Some have been making some outlandish claims about his athleticism, I think he's going to turn in a strong workout in both the measurables and the drills.

If we pass on Jake, I can't say for sure we'll regret it. Robinson has sky high potential but I do feel very comfortable saying that Jake is going to be a Pro Bowl caliber OL in the NFL. When you ask people who the best LT in the NFL is right now...it's not a guy with legendary power or athleticism or size(not that there's anything wrong with those 3 things). It's a guy by the name of Joe Thomas. Who has good size, great(but not elite) athleticism and stellar technique. On top of that, he's extremely bright and prepares with the best of them for games. And that's why he wins. He takes very good/great physical talent(but not elite) and makes himself an elite player with sound technique and incredibly smart play.

I think that's what Matthews offers you. Now, I can't make any promises on him being Joe Thomas but I think, at worst, he'll be a Jordan Gross type talent at OT. And Gross is a multiple time Pro Bowler. That's high praise. Some will call me crazy for making these sort of promises but when you see it, you see it. Kid has it all. There's no projection necessary. But even with that, he still has potential to get better and he has the right type of attitude. I want him on this team. Seems like the type that will be great for the locker-room, his versatility allows him to play ANYWHERE on our OL and he's a top tier talent.

And for those worried about Matthews's ability to run block...

Fires off the ball low, lands the initial punch which jolts Ealy, maintains leverage by bending at the knees, realizes his hands are spread too wide and he could get flagged so he repositions after the punch, locks on Ealy's chest-plate, stays balanced and drives him 8 yards off the ball into the end-zone.

That's picture perfect. Even shows the IQ to recognize his placement is off initially and repositions to avoid getting called for holding.

TAMU didn't have him do a ton of straight power drive blocking but I thought he looked quite good when he did. May not be the nastiest kid but he has good power and is a very sound/smart technician.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I always refer back to the great o-line of the Broncos they were a smallish line but were lean and fit and wore bigger fatter people out, When they played the Packers with their huge d-line they had those boys sucking wind.
Thanks jrry, I obviously don't get into the scouting reports and such but you pretty well nailed my sense of why Matthews might be and IMO is the better pick

It's an index of body fat, methods of arriving at it are different ,height and weight are deceiving and less accurate than caliper tests I've seen guys 5ft 9 280 pounds who had bottom certifiable wrestling weight (7% body fat) at 220 and others who had bcw's 180. Now if you wish we can keep arguing nomenclature but the point was determining the players body fat and the method you propose is as you have said less accurate,so is it POSSIBLE to AGREE that since 1830 new methods have been devised to determine the same thing? ( body fat)and further that a player whose body fat is lower may have as much muscle as a bigger man ?

Yes I agree with everything you said.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Word is Robinson is gonna blow up this Combine. Expect him to wow in the 40. That will stop any baby fat talk.

The big question for me, is Robinson the next Walter Jones and how do you pass on him if he is.

jap

Legend
I want to believe Coach Bou will have plenty of input on early draft decisions with a few impressive tackles at the blue chip level.