Ot Greg Robinson Wows At Weigh-in

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memphis Ram

Legend
2014 NFL combine: Auburn OT Greg Robinson wows at weigh-in
By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

February 20, 2014 10:08 am ET

The 2014 NFL combine has barely begun and already the news is flowing.

While player work outs won't begin until Saturday for several of the underclassmen who scouts haven't yet officially measured, just weighing can create a positive buzz -- as was the case Thursday morning with the news that Auburn redshirt sophomore left tackle Greg Robinson came in at an impressive 6-foot05, 332 pounds, according to Daniel Jeremiah of NFL.com. Robinson's long frame is even more considering he has 35-inch arms, longer than any player measured at the 2014 Senior Bowl.

The measurements are similar to those posted by former Alabama offensive tackle D.J. Fluker, who weighed in a year ago in Indianapolis at 6-5, 339 pounds and with even longer arms (36 3/4 inches). Fluker, who starred at right tackle for the Crimson Tide wound up being selected No. 11 overall by the San Diego Chargers. His length and power made Fluker effective for the Chargers with the rookie starting 15 of 16 regular season games and earning a spot on the PFWA All-Rookie Team.

Like Fluker, Robinson is a work in progress as a pass blocker but his massive size, strength and aggression make him a dominant run blocker. Robinson's boasts more upside than any other offensive lineman in the 2014 draft, which is why he has recently jumped ahead of the more polished Jake Matthews, who starred at left and right tackle over four starting seasons at Texas A&M.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...bine-auburn-ot-greg-robinson-wows-at-weigh-in

jjab360

Legend
He's got all the strength and power of D.J. Fluker as well as the feet and quickness that Fluker could only dream of having. Pretty much a dream prospect at any position on the O-line. Considering the Rams were rumored to be interested in Fluker if they didn't get TA, you've gotta think Robinson is square on their radar right now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He's got all the strength and power of D.J. Fluker as well as the feet and quickness that Fluker could only dream of having. Pretty much a dream prospect at any position on the O-line. Considering the Rams were rumored to be interested in Fluker if they didn't get TA, you've gotta think Robinson is square on their radar right now.

I was not aware that he was regarded as having great feet. I thought his pass blocking was what was under scrutiny. Pass blocking is where great footwork really comes into play.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Jake Matthews at 6'5/308 lbs with 33 3/8" arms.

Not the long arms you really want at LOT.

jjab360

Legend
I was not aware that he was regarded as having great feet. I thought his pass blocking was what was under scrutiny. Pass blocking is where great footwork really comes into play.
I wouldn't say great feet, I'd say he has quick feet, but inconsistent footwork. Still worlds ahead of Fluker, though, D.J. got outmaneuvered so many times it was ridiculous.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Mathews stock is going to take a hit after his measurements.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Dude couldn't pass block a stink'in stationary rock with that kind of weight. Heck no...

I'm not not using a top ten pick on a glorified Fluker...

What a Fluker...

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Can't tell if serious..

Lol only half. I'd prefer Matthews of the two if it were up to me. Ever since Jason Smith I worry about any kind of "work in progress" drafted in the top ten. Mathews is a sure bet.

In the end we know who I really want.

jjab360

Legend
His arms are borderline OT length.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he falls to the 3rd tackle taken.
If the implication is that Lewan has a chance of passing him, his arms are only 1/2" longer and the game tape isn't even close..

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
JT said a couple of weeks ago that he preferred Lewan to Matthews. Softli said Matthews doesn't show the mean streak that he likes to see.

I doubt it the measurements hurt him all that much, but he probably lost the #1 OT spot.

F. Mulder

Starter
JT said a couple of weeks ago that he preferred Lewan to Matthews. Softli said Matthews doesn't show the mean streak that he likes to see.

I doubt it the measurements hurt him all that much, but he probably lost the #1 OT spot.

I hope not. You don't have to have a "mean streak" to be good and having a "mean streak" doesn't make you good IMO. I just want the guy in front of him blocked and for me I have much higher faith in Mathews being able to do that, and do it well.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If the implication is that Lewan has a chance of passing him, his arms are only 1/2" longer and the game tape isn't even close..
It isn't necessarily "player x's arm length" vs "Player y's". But it could be that a negative mark for player x is enough to drop him down on teams boards...

I'd expect Matthews to be a top 10 pic...but wouldn't be shocked if he fell. There has been some rumors lately that teams see him as a Guard (which I find ridiculous...but...).

jjab360

Legend

JT is just a sports journalist who has no history in talent evaluation, I hate to say it but he probably just said "Oh, this guy's 6'7, this guy's 6'5, gimme the big guy".

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Matthews is WAY better than Lewan. To me there is a huge separation.

Last edited: