Ot Greg Robinson Wows At Weigh-in

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Thats nasty. I like it!
So who is our #1 reserve? Because between Saffold and Long chances are this lineup wouldn't last a full season. Do we hope that Barrett Jones is ready to play and back up the interior? Would G.Robinson be the first guy to move to LT/RT in the event of an injury?
I'd draft a guard/tackle also. I don't know if Saffold will be back (I think he will), and we know that both he and Long have injury history. Don't know what we have in B. Jones. I don't like Williams, or Smith, and H. Dahl will probably be cut.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's been said before but seeing as the two top OTs are so close, it really isn't about who's slightly better, but who's the better scheme fit. That being said I'll let you guys figure out who fits in better with our starting lineup from last year:

Jake Long: 6-7, 322 lbs
Chris Williams: 6-6, 326 lbs
Tim Barnes: 6-4, 306 lbs (Cs are always considerably smaller than the rest of the O-line)
Rodger Saffold: 6-5, 332 lbs
Joseph Barksdale: 6-5, 326 lbs

And the two possible new additions:
Greg Robinson: 6-5, 332 lbs
Jake Matthews: 6-5, 308 lbs

One of these things is not like the other...

I know...you got Jake Matthews's height wrong. He's 6'6". ;)

I figure I should point this out, though:
Harvey Dahl: 6'5" 306
Shelley Smith: 6'3" 300
Barrett Jones: 6'5" 306

Smith and Dahl both started last year.

Plus, you had 6'4" 308 Robert Turner on the 2012 Rams as a starter.

I think you're mistaken if you believe Matthews isn't a scheme fit. Hell, go take a look at Fisher's OLs in Tennessee. It's a completely different story.

Boudreau's last OL in Atlanta?
Sam Baker: 6'5" 301/Will Svitek: 6'6" 310
Justin Blalock: 6'4" 325
Todd McClure: 6'1" 295
Joe Hawley: 6'3" 300/Garrett Reynolds: 6'7" 310
Tyson Clabo: 6'6" 315

The idea that Matthews doesn't fit as well on this OL because he's not 320+ is preposterous.

jjab360

Legend
I know...you got Jake Matthews's height wrong. He's 6'6". ;)

I figure I should point this out, though:
Shelley Smith: 6'3" 300
Barrett Jones: 6'5" 306

Smith and Dahl both started last year.

Plus, you had 6'4" 308 Robert Turner on the 2012 Rams as a starter.

I think you're mistaken if you believe Matthews isn't a scheme fit. Hell, go take a look at Fisher's OLs in Tennessee. It's a completely different story.

Boudreau's last OL in Atlanta?
Sam Baker: 6'5" 301/Will Svitek: 6'6" 310
Justin Blalock: 6'4" 325
Todd McClure: 6'1" 295
Joe Hawley: 6'3" 300/Garrett Reynolds: 6'7" 310
Tyson Clabo: 6'6" 315

The idea that Matthews doesn't fit as well on this OL because he's not 320+ is preposterous.
Didn't say he wasn't a fit, just that he doesn't fit as well as Greg Robinson. Are you going to argue that?

Even if we have had smaller guys on the roster, I think most of the personnel moves we've made indicate that we prefer larger O-linemen all things being equal. Examples of this would be signing big Jake Long, starting Saffold over Dahl late in the season, having Saffold and Barksdale put on weight in the offseason, and the only linemen we've drafted so far are 6-4, 338 lbs Rok Watkins and 6-4, 308 lbs Barrett Jones which is pretty large by C standards. Boudreau might've had a smaller O-line in Atlanta, but that was under a different HC and GM, Paul's not the one that makes personnel decisions though he does have input of course. Everywhere I've looked has Shelley Smith listed at 6'4, 312 lbs, btw.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Didn't say he wasn't a fit, just that he doesn't fit as well as Greg Robinson. Are you going to argue that?

Yes. I will. Both players are more than capable of playing at a high level in power-man schemes, stretch-zone schemes and inside-zone schemes or any of the other hybrid schemes used today.

The better OL is the better fit for us. I think that's Matthews. You think it's Robinson.

Even if we have had smaller guys on the roster, I think most of the personnel moves we've made indicate that we prefer larger O-linemen all things being equal. Examples of this would be signing big Jake Long, starting Saffold over Dahl late in the season, having Saffold and Barksdale put on weight in the offseason, and the only linemen we've drafted so far are 6-4, 338 lbs Rok Watkins and 6-4, 308 lbs Barrett Jones which is pretty large by C standards. Boudreau might've had a smaller O-line in Atlanta, but that was under a different HC and GM, Paul's not the one that makes personnel decisions though he does have input of course. Everywhere I've looked has Shelley Smith listed at 6'4, 312 lbs, btw.

Shelley Smith was 6'3" 300 when he came out in the draft. So I have my doubts about that listing. When we picked him up on waivers, he was listed at 6'4" 293.

We signed Jake Long because he was the best OT on the market and had proven himself at a high level in a PBS like ours. Do you think if 6'6" 312 Joe Thomas was a FA instead of Jake Long that we wouldn't have pursued him at the same price? Furthermore, Jake Long measured in at 6'7" 312 coming out of college. Jake Matthews is far from maxed out in terms of weight.

Barrett Jones is tall for Center standards but 6'5" 306 isn't heavy.

And then there's Joe Barksdale. Barksdale might be big at 6'5" 325 but he's not a mauling run blocker. He's more of a finesse guy and a pass protector. Chris Williams? Not a mauler either. Lets not act like our OL is comprised of all Greg Robinson type players. It just so happens that we had a large starting OL after Saffold moved into the RG spot.

Go back to 2012 and it's another story:
Rodger Saffold: 6'5" 332
Robert Turner: 6'4" 308
Scott Wells: 6'2" 300
Barry Richardson: 6'6" 319

I think you might be guilty of confirmation bias here, jjab. I respect your opinion but I think you're seeing what you want to see. I don't see a preference in Fisher's or Boudreau's history for huge OLs. They run a PBS and if you can block effectively in a PBS, they'll sign/draft you. Doesn't matter if you're 300 or 350.

jjab360

Legend
No confirmation bias, jrry, I thought we were an offense that prefers larger linemen long before I heard of Greg Robinson.

There's just too many coincidences for me not to. You say look at the 2012 lineup, I say that's more evidence. As Fisher gets more time and more of a chance to mold his roster into what he thinks is the ideal team, our linemen just somehow keep getting larger.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No confirmation bias, jrry, I thought we were an offense that prefers larger linemen long before I heard of Greg Robinson.

There's just too many coincidences for me not to. You say look at the 2012 lineup, I say that's more evidence. As Fisher gets more time and more of a chance to mold his roster into what he thinks is the ideal team, our linemen just somehow keep getting larger.

That's the definition of confirmation bias. Tennessee tells a different story. You're taking a stretch of games(with Saffold at RG and Long at LT) and acting as if it's reflective of the whole.

It was purely coincidental. The Rams didn't even plan to play Saffold at RG. And Wells was supposed to be the Center. Which would have left us with a 6'2" 300 pound Center and a 6'5" 306 pound RG. Williams? He wasn't signed because of his weight either. He was just the best of a lot of bad options when we needed an OL in 2012.

I have no issues with the Rams going with a heavy OL. I think it possibly will happen because the draft and FA this year have a lot of guys that fit us well that are heavy. But it's not a concerted effort to have all 320+ OLs except for the Center.

jjab360

Legend
That's the definition of confirmation bias. Tennessee tells a different story. You're taking a stretch of games(with Saffold at RG and Long at LT) and acting as if it's reflective of the whole.

It was purely coincidental. The Rams didn't even plan to play Saffold at RG. And Wells was supposed to be the Center. Which would have left us with a 6'2" 300 pound Center and a 6'5" 306 pound RG. Williams? He wasn't signed because of his weight either. He was just the best of a lot of bad options when we needed an OL in 2012.

I have no issues with the Rams going with a heavy OL. I think it possibly will happen because the draft and FA this year have a lot of guys that fit us well that are heavy. But it's not a concerted effort to have all 320+ OLs except for the Center.
It's not like I'm saying if you aren't 320+ you can't start for us, that just sort of happened. I'm just saying that our personnel department seems to prefer bigger, stronger linemen. If there's a smaller guy that's clearly the more talented option then we won't draft or sign the inferior talent, but all things being equal we are generally going to go with the guy that has a little more length and girth to his natural skillset, imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's not like I'm saying if you aren't 320+ you can't start for us, that just sort of happened. I'm just saying that our personnel department seems to prefer bigger, stronger linemen. If there's a smaller guy that's clearly the more talented option then we won't draft or sign the inferior talent, but all things being equal we are generally going to go with the guy that has a little more length and girth to his natural skillset, imo.

All things are not equal though. They go with the better OL as long as he fits the PBS. As I just said. And to me, that's Matthews.

It's pretty typical that a personnel department of a team running a PBS is going to favor the bigger OL if all things are equal.

jjab360

Legend
All things are not equal though. They go with the better OL as long as he fits the PBS. As I just said. And to me, that's Matthews.

It's pretty typical that a personnel department of a team running a PBS is going to favor the bigger OL if all things are equal.
I guess we'll just have to see, jrry. The one thing I do know is that Snisher loves to draft upside, or do you not believe that either?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess we'll just have to see, jrry. The one thing I do know is that Snisher loves to draft upside, or do you not believe that either?

Nope. I definitely believe that. They tend to draft rawer players that possess top athletic skill-sets early on. And if you were to ask me today, I'd say the Rams are more likely to draft Robinson for that reason. But I prefer Matthews.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Jake Long: 6-7, 322 lbs
Greg Robinson: 6-5, 332 lbs
Tim Barnes: 6-4, 306 lbs (Cs are always considerably smaller than the rest of the O-line)
Rodger Saffold: 6-5, 332 lbs
Joseph Barksdale: 6-5, 326 lbs

Devastating running team, and gets rid of our weakest link.
As much as this line excites me can you imagine how much Sam and Z. Stacy would like it?!

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
As much as this line excites me can you imagine how much Sam and Z. Stacy would like it?!

Funny thing, if you put Barrett Jones at center, they would have the first line in history with all five guys capable of playing tackle. Now, if only the majority of them had a good health history...

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Funny thing, if you put Barrett Jones at center, they would have the first line in history with all five guys capable of playing tackle. Now, if only the majority of them had a good health history...
That seems to be a major problemo.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Beat me to it. Think about it. Notify that he is an eligible receiver, put him in at LT and then let him gallop down the seam. Un-freakin-stoppable! :cool:

Line him up at TE on some plays. Saffold, Barksdale, Robinson, with Harkey at FB-- we can run the ball right every play!

fearsomefour

Legend
Yep. Pretty much what I have seen. When you add in the rumors about that rape and him being questioned for assault as well as examples of dirty play on the field...it will make some question how he handles his anger which won't be helped by the recent Richie Incognito fiasco.

Most of all, as you mentioned, he's stiff and not a natural bender. That's very problematic.
When I read about a T with good size and acceptable feet who isent a natural bender and plays stiff one name comes to mind: Grant Williams.
I think his issue was a back issue. Whatever the cause he played upright. All the bench press and vertical jump in the world is not going to help you if you totally give up leverage.

fearsomefour

Legend
One more benefit of what T we hopefully draft is they are going to spend camp going up against Quinn and or Long....Sunday may end up being the easy day of the week.