Ot Greg Robinson Wows At Weigh-in

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
His arms are borderline OT length.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if he falls to the 3rd tackle taken.

Joe Thomas - 32.5"
Jake Long - 32.9"
Jake Matthews - 33.4"

32.5" is the borderline. 32" is pushing it big time. Anything under 32" is generally unacceptable. Matthews arm length is fine. It is what most expected it to be. I'd call it average as I have in the past. But he did check in taller than expected at 6'5.5"(6'6").

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matthews is WY better than Lewan. To me there is a huge separation.

Gigantic. Lewan is a meaner but he also has a troubled history off the field with his anger issues. But on the field, Matthews has natural bend, foot speed, balance and coordination that Lewan simply does not have. And that's not even getting to technique. Lewan seems like more of a NFL RT to me.

I think Lewan is a lot like Gosder Cherilus whereas Jake Matthews is more like Jordan Gross or even his father(if he's used inside) if we're making comparisons.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Good info jrry...thanks.

Though, I still have my doubts.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Gigantic. Lewan is a meaner but he also has a troubled history off the field with his anger issues. But on the field, Matthews has natural bend, foot speed, balance and coordination that Lewan simply does not have. And that's not even getting to technique. Lewan seems like more of a NFL RT to me.

I think Lewan is a lot like Gosder Cherilus whereas Jake Matthews is more like Jordan Gross or even his father(if he's used inside) if we're making comparisons.
Agree with Lewan and RT.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
A “Great” Arm Length (35+ inches)
D’Brickashaw Ferguson: Jets, 2006 (35 ½ inches)
Ryan Clady: Broncos, 2008 (36 inches)

A “Good” Arm Length (34 inches-34 7/8 inches)
Jammal Brown: Redskins, 2005 (34 ¼ inches)
Jeff Otah: Panthers, 2008 (34 5/8 inches)

An “O.K.” Arm Length (33 inches - 33 7/8 inches)
Michael Roos: Titans, 2005 (33 5/8 inches)
Levi Brown: Cardinals, 2007 (33 1/8 inches)

A “Below Average” Arm Length (32 inches - 32 7/8 inches)
Robert Gallery: Raiders, 2004 (32 ¼ inches)
Chris Williams: Bears, 2008 (32 ¾ inches)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A “Great” Arm Length (35+ inches)
D’Brickashaw Ferguson: Jets, 2006 (35 ½ inches)
Ryan Clady: Broncos, 2008 (36 inches)

A “Good” Arm Length (34 inches-34 7/8 inches)
Jammal Brown: Redskins, 2005 (34 ¼ inches)
Jeff Otah: Panthers, 2008 (34 5/8 inches)

An “O.K.” Arm Length (33 inches - 33 7/8 inches)
Michael Roos: Titans, 2005 (33 5/8 inches)
Levi Brown: Cardinals, 2007 (33 1/8 inches)

A “Below Average” Arm Length (32 inches - 32 7/8 inches)
Robert Gallery: Raiders, 2004 (32 ¼ inches)
Chris Williams: Bears, 2008 (32 ¾ inches)

Totally agreed. I think Matthews is about average in terms of length(height and arm length) but that was what I expected. Had that in my report before the combine. It's not ideal but with his technique, it won't keep him from being successful. Plus, he carries his weight extremely well and definitely has growth potential. Turning up at 6'6" 308 is good because I think he can add another 10 or so pounds in a NFL Strength & Conditioning system.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Totally agreed. I think Matthews is about average in terms of length(height and arm length) but that was what I expected. Had that in my report before the combine. It's not ideal but with his technique, it won't keep him from being successful. Plus, he carries his weight extremely well and definitely has growth potential. Turning up at 6'6" 308 is good because I think he can add another 10 or so pounds in a NFL Strength & Conditioning system.
I don't disagree.

My pessimism (for lack of a better term) is simply because having seen enough drafts to see how the combine changes things, I wouldn't be shocked if this is one of those instances.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't disagree.

My pessimism (for lack of a better term) is simply because having seen enough drafts to see how the combine changes things, I wouldn't be shocked if this is one of those instances.

In that case, I hope we pick the #2 OT off the board. ;)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Matthews is a skilled technician, and is extremely smooth out there. He is pro ready, more than any other tackle out there. Great kick slide, good enough for him to be able to wait and protect the inside.

It's too hard to find any tape watching Robinson even in a traditional pass pro situation. He still did a lot of blocking down, when they passed, but his run blocking is as good as anyone that I've seen. I will be watching his feet, and quickness, and technique at the combine. He does have good feet, and you need that for run blocking too.

Lewan is often unbalanced, saw him quit on plays that he could have gotten into. He gets rocked a lot at initial contact. Not a good punch on first contact, he's off balance way too often, most of the time, because he drops his head a lot, and bends at the waist. He's not my #3 OT. He has quick feet though, so, most of his issues are technical, but there are too many for him to be in a program like that to be ignored. I wouldn't pick him until late in the first round, and he doesn't compare to last years guys, probably doesn't make my top 5 OT's.

That's all for now.

Last edited:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Matthews is a skilled technician, and is extremely smooth out there. He is pro ready, more than any other tackle out there. Great kick slide, good enough for him to be able to wait and protect the inside.

It's too hard to find any tape watching Robinson even in a traditional pass pro situation. He still did a lot of blocking down, when they passed, but his run blocking is as good as anyone that I've seen. I will be watching his feet, and quickness, and technique at the combine. He does have good feet, and you need that for run blocking too.

Lewan is often unbalanced, saw him quit on plays that he could have gotten into. He gets rocked a lot at initial contact. Not a good punch on first contact, he's off balance way too often, most of the time, because he drops his head a lot, and bends at the waist. He's not my #3 OT. He has quick feet though, so, most of his issues are technical, but there are too many for him to be in a program like that to be ignored. I wouldn't pick him until late in the first round, and he doesn't compare to last years guys, probably doesn't make my top 5 OT's.

That's all for now.

Yep. Pretty much what I have seen. When you add in the rumors about that rape and him being questioned for assault as well as examples of dirty play on the field...it will make some question how he handles his anger which won't be helped by the recent Richie Incognito fiasco.

Most of all, as you mentioned, he's stiff and not a natural bender. That's very problematic.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Yeah, I don't really know where all this Lewan is a top 15 pick talk came from. He's a 2nd round talent if you ask me. He plays with an edge I'll give him that, but the praises pretty much stop there.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Dude couldn't pass block a stink'in stationary rock with that kind of weight. Heck no...

I'm not not using a top ten pick on a glorified Fluker...

What a Fluker...
Only in size can you compare him to Fluker. He is stronger, quicker, and a much better athlete. Fluker is not in the same class as him, if you ask me. I still need to see him in drills, as pass pro film is rare on him. If I passed 40 times a game, Matthews would be my guy, but....that is not the Rams identity. Jury is still out on him, but he has a way higher ceiling than Fluker.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I hope Mathews falls to wherever we land trading down from #2!

smram

Rookie
Name
Steve
Yeah, I don't really know where all this Lewan is a top 15 pick talk came from. He's a 2nd round talent if you ask me. He plays with an edge I'll give him that, but the praises pretty much stop there.

Because his projection is based on ability plus pro coaching. He has the tools to be a monster if he can keep from being a turd. Lots of upside. Not Robinson upside by any means but could be very good

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
If they do grab an OT early, no doubt in my mind I want Matthews. I don't care how good someones measurables are if they suck at pass protection. We might not be the most pass heavy offense, but with Bradford we will still pass 20-30 times a game, which is 20-30 times a game more than I want Robinson out there. Matthews arms don't concern me one bit.

If we pass on Matthews which i can easily see Fisher doing since I still don't view left as a 1st round need right now, I'd love to grab Morgan Moses in the 2nd. 6'6 314 lbs(lost about 10 lbs before combine, played in mid 320's during season) and 35 3/8ths arms. Still has room to add muscle. But a very very good 2nd day choice and my preference right now. Even if his arms were shorter I'd still like him.

Billy Turner is another one I like who could become a 2nd rounder by combines end. 6'5 315 lbs, 34 inch arms.

And of course my dark horse late round OT....Seantral Henderson. 6'7 331 lbs, 34 5/8th arms.

And jesus, Luke Lucas coming in at 6'8.3 316 lbs, 36 3/4 arms, guy is to big lol

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
One last thing, Cyril Richardson.....

Senior bowl - 6'4.4 348 lbs, 33 7/8
Combine - 6'5 329 lbs, 34 5/8

Looks like Richardson lost a ton of weight, which caused him to grow in height and arm length.....

Glad he lost some weight, maybe after getting destroyed by Donald constantly he knew he needed to get faster so lost 20 lbs.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
If they do grab an OT early, no doubt in my mind I want Matthews. I don't care how good someones measurables are if they suck at pass protection. We might not be the most pass heavy offense, but with Bradford we will still pass 20-30 times a game, which is 20-30 times a game more than I want Robinson out there. Matthews arms don't concern me one bit.

If we pass on Matthews which i can easily see Fisher doing since I still don't view left as a 1st round need right now, I'd love to grab Morgan Moses in the 2nd. 6'6 314 lbs(lost about 10 lbs before combine, played in mid 320's during season) and 35 3/8ths arms. Still has room to add muscle. But a very very good 2nd day choice and my preference right now. Even if his arms were shorter I'd still like him.

Billy Turner is another one I like who could become a 2nd rounder by combines end. 6'5 315 lbs, 34 inch arms.

And of course my dark horse late round OT....Seantral Henderson. 6'7 331 lbs, 34 5/8th arms.

And jesus, Luke Lucas coming in at 6'8.3 316 lbs, 36 3/4 arms, guy is to big lol
You named one of the guys that I like, and I also think that he will be a second rounder when all is said and done. Hendo, not so much, but not just because of his film. C. Richardson's film really disappointed me, and I think he's rated way too high. He's a plodder. I am still watching tape, and taking notes, and I've already pegged a few guys in the 2nd to 4th range. I think this is a much deeper OT class than last year, overall. I like Moses too, but more as a RT only type guy. I'm really trying to find guys that fit our system, and guys that are position versatile. I think I've found a few.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
You named one of the guys that I like, and I also think that he will be a second rounder when all is said and done. Hendo, not so much, but not just because of his film. C. Richardson's film really disappointed me, and I think he's rated way too high. He's a plodder. I am still watching tape, and taking notes, and I've already pegged a few guys in the 2nd to 4th range. I think this is a much deeper OT class than last year, overall. I like Moses too, but more as a RT only type guy. I'm really trying to find guys that fit our system, and guys that are position versatile. I think I've found a few.

The only worry I have for Turner is his transition to the NFL and to where exactly he'd play on our line. I know he played both RG and RT at the shrine game, do you think he could play LT as well?

Hendo is more of just a guy I see who has all the tools, just needs some molding and to not fuck up off the field. He is a physical beast though given his huge size.

I agree Richardson is rated to high, but I think in losing the 20 lbs, it could change things, might make him less of a plodder. In any case, wouldn't grab him unless he was there in the 3rd.

Have to disagree with you on Moses though, I think he could be a LT.

Which guys have you found that might fit our system?