Mistake to Make Shula DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think this defensive front is going to keep improving as we go. But once they install Speights in there for Reeder this defense will begin to take its shape for the playoffs, assuming we get there. Because he will improve the range from that position, and if Hummel is promoted as well as a pairing we will have a very athletic duo and become a difficult defense to beat in space. At least in the box.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I haven’t spent much time looking at Brown from down to down but it’s not hard to notice he’s not paying as well as when AD was along side him. There has to be a savvy vet who can hold his ground more effectively. As for rushing the passer Brown looks as bad as ever! I feel let down after he drew positive comments in training camp

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I haven’t spent much time looking at Brown from down to down but it’s not hard to notice he’s not paying as well as when AD was along side him. There has to be a savvy vet who can hold his ground more effectively. As for rushing the passer Brown looks as bad as ever! I feel let down after he drew positive comments in training camp
That's one of the positions I've been wondering about.. if there's a low-cost move out there to be made. Just one big-body vet who can help on first and second downs, both with his actual ability and his experience to settle everyone down.

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao
One play rarely wins a game, or loses a game.

If Bell doesn't drop a pass that hits him between the "1" and the "0", the Rams also ... 'don't win that game'

That was Reeder's best play of the day; and he had a few others ... Overall? ... he and Rozeboom were just OK.
Reeder was ok , rozeboom a disaster. This dude is plain HORRIBLE.

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao
This! But I’ll add in: Let’s not discount how good of a coach Raheem was. Proof is right in front of us.
Sorry but Rahem had AD and EJ . Shula has BB3 and Rozeboom. I still think shula is not that good ( scheme too vanilla, don't blitz etc ) BUT he has been dealt a shitty hand. Of course it is a small sample size for shula's work . But so far , I am kinda disappointed . He could at least blitz more.

Last edited:

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao
While there are clear errors in execution, I dont see why some would be upset with Shula's scheme? As for Verse and Fiske, I am thrilled with what we've seen so far. Fiske is already drawing doubles and Verse is creating pressure. Sure they both are making some mistakes but that can be worked on with experience, while the fact that they are getting in position to make mistakes is incredibly encouraging.
Morris didn't blitz enough with a 26% blitz rate, but Shula is even worse at just 15%. He basically doesn’t blitz at all. His scheme is way too vanilla, and I'm not seeing many stunts or disguises. I never liked the hire to begin with, but I'll admit he's been dealt a pretty shitty hand. He's got a bunch of promising rookies, but they keep making rookie mistakes, and the rest are just a bunch of JAGS. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit with this defense. So , it is not just scheme but also a talent issue.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Morris didn't blitz enough with a 26% blitz rate, but Shula is even worse at just 15%. He basically doesn’t blitz at all. His scheme is way too vanilla, and I'm not seeing many stunts or disguises. I never liked the hire to begin with, but I'll admit he's been dealt a pretty shitty hand. He's got a bunch of promising rookies, but they keep making rookie mistakes, and the rest are just a bunch of JAGS. You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit with this defense. So , it is not just scheme but also a talent issue.
I think a lot of the lack of blitzing is just all the new and young personnel. I think they'll pick that up eventually.

That being said.. their 4 person rush is getting pressure pretty consistently, I think? Purdy pulled some miracles, imo.

With more discipline and experience.. and maybe a healthy Darious Williams... I think they'll blitz more.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Sorry but Rahem had AD and EJ . Shula has BB3 and Rozeboom. I still think shula is not that good ( scheme too vanilla, don't blitz etc ) BUT he has been dealt a shitty hand.

Raheem also had nobody at corner, nobody at safety, a rookie Young, and a Rookie Turner. Youre telling me that Jordan Fuller, Darion Kendrick, Yeast, and Akello (who I’m a fan of) is better than Kameron Curl, JJ43, Tradavious White? Or that Michael Hoetch is better than Jared Verse?

There’s a reason that only those two are the only two that would still be starting today. If coach Rah was still here, the defense would be better than what we’ve seen.

You cant mention the departures without mentioning the additions. Verses over pursuit and the lack of pressure up the middle falls on coaching (or lack there of). Do I think it was a mistake to promote Shula? No, not yet. It’s too early to tell. But to think it wasn’t an blow to lose coach Rah is iniquitous.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rex Ryan was talking after this game about the new DC who lacks experience as a caller needing to coach out of a book. And he's right. Both the shitters and Rams have young DCs learning on the job.

The shitter DC is about to get fired. Seriously. Their defense has not been the typical unit they are used to having. Talent is there. But they are not dominant up front, they are not as physical as usual, and their rush is not as potent. If that doesn't change they're done. And their secondary is not great either. Look for a change at DC for them by midseason if it takes that long.

Rams on the other hand started the game slow and got better as the game went on. They got stronger. They played harder. They limited the grounds yards. They got after Purdy and he felt that rush even if they didn't get home enough on him. Rams have a strong pressure front which is a very good sign for the rest of this schedule. They just have to tune up that run defense and keep growing that front together. Secondary is not gonna be great but there is talent back there that has yet to show as a unit being on one page. Have to think that improves as well, particularly when we get Williams back.

Shula might be up for this. Still pulling for him but a long way to go.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
Possibly better not sure about the faster.
I can 40 time him but I definitely think he is faster that's been more his game than anything. That said old school how much worse could we do lol speights should get his shot maybe rotating rozereeder might be ok ugh lol

Brasilrams

UDFA
Name
Victor Galvao
Raheem also had nobody at corner, nobody at safety, a rookie Young, and a Rookie Turner. Youre telling me that Jordan Fuller, Darion Kendrick, Yeast, and Akello (who I’m a fan of) is better than Kameron Curl, JJ43, Tradavious White? Or that Michael Hoetch is better than Jared Verse?

There’s a reason that only those two are the only two that would still be starting today. If coach Rah was still here, the defense would be better than what we’ve seen.

You cant mention the departures without mentioning the additions. Verses over pursuit and the lack of pressure up the middle falls on coaching (or lack there of). Do I think it was a mistake to promote Shula? No, not yet. It’s too early to tell. But to think it wasn’t an blow to lose coach Rah is iniquitous.

AD is the best defender of all time, hands down. He more than makes up for everyone else. By simply not having him, Shula’s defense—talent-wise—is 300 times worse than Morris' defense.

Tre White has been a complete disaster so far. Morris had Akhello and Kendricks (who were as bad as Tre White), but Akhello, despite being inconsistent, has actually been better than White (so far). Kamren Curl came in with a lot of hype, but he's been no help in the run game and gets torched every time they target him. Huge letdown. Yeast and Fuller are just as bad as Lake.

In my opinion, it's impossible to compare the talent Morris had to what Shula has to work with. I’m not saying Shula would do better than Morris if he had AD and EJ—maybe not. But for sure, we wouldn’t be getting gashed on the ground like we are now without those two.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I here Jeffrey Simmons might be available? Hmmmm

DzRams

Rookie
Name
Desmal M
I think this conversation with Reeder on the heels of him putting up what was probably his best game for us demonstrates the problem. One of the posts referred to him as serviceable, which is quite accurate. But serviceable is not the goal for this defense. I guarantee it is not McVay's goal for his defense.

So it's coming. We just have to wait for Shula to get there. I suspect this is about the green dot to some extent as well. But either way we should see Rozeboom replaced first and that's a great way to get Speights on the field for now.

:bullseye:
You're right that the goal for the defense is to be more than serviceable. That's not to say, though, that every position will be more than serviceable. I suspect they don't require the ILB position to be above average since they've never prioritized that position.

The defense can be more than serviceable with mere average at the ILB position.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can 40 time him but I definitely think he is faster that's been more his game than anything. That said old school how much worse could we do lol speights should get his shot maybe rotating rozereeder might be ok ugh lol
His 40 time was quite a few years and injuries ago. He's not the player he was

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Reeder/Speights?
Seems like an obvious change that needs to be made. And if they prefer Speights in Reeder's spot but want to wait for him to know the scheme better or whatever then Hummel for Rozeboom also has the potential to upgrade this defense. Either way I think Rozeboom just lost his job with that performance.

dang

Legend
Reeder was ok , rozeboom a disaster. This dude is plain HORRIBLE.
Let’s start with replacing Rozeboom then. That soft, slow middle is going to kill this defense. And yes Reeder made a real nice play but his slow to react and feet in concrete play is painful to watch.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I was never impressed by Bobby Brown. Everybody's talking all these things about him, but never seems to make a play. Tell me why?? Addition by subtraction is my first reaction, get someone else McVay.