Mistake to Make Shula DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I haven’t looked it up but how many minutes has the D played with a lead thru three games? Maybe 5 min?

They’re getting rolled early but more importantly so is the offense, which will always be the catalyst of a McVay team.

I don’t think we know yet what kind of attacking defense Shula wants to call.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
For those calling for Speights...not sure I would hold my breath as he has not gotten a SINGLE SNAP yet on defense. Kidna crazy actually.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
As much as I hate to say it are we going to have to see Reeder or Roseboom get knocked out of a game for Speights to actually get some playing time.

Ellard80

Legend
I watched a lot of the game yesterday- focusing on the linebackers and defense.

Reeder played well outside a couple plays.

The secondary combined with the inability to get the quarterback on the ground was the biggest issue.

Take away the circus scrambling yards and the 49ners had 98 yards rushing.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Looking at the schedule the majority of our remaining opponents are have QB's who can scramble. They're gonna need to figure out how to contain them. Not take the bad angles. Limit the damage they do on the outside of the pocket. Do that and a lot of these quarterbacks wills struggle. Maybe send faster DB's after the QB more often?

ramfan46

Pro Bowler
Outside of the 1st quarter the D was alright. QBs are completing at a scary clip though. Hoping they gel as we go and they can jump up to mid pack and take some pressure off of Stafford. Being down 10 points each game makes McVay pass happy.
Also, get 56 off the field!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Regarding the defensive backfield:Keep in mind who is in the secondary. An aging vet (JJ), a top vet coming off a major injury (Tre White), a player who has always had tackling issues (Durant) and two late round picks (Lake,Curl) and a rookie (Kinchens).

Give it time. White should improve. DWill will return. JJ will return, Kinchens will learn and Lake and Curl are mostly in there for tackling.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
For those calling for Speights...not sure I would hold my breath as he has not gotten a SINGLE SNAP yet on defense. Kidna crazy actually.
That doesn't mean anything. Truth is the coaches always have to deal with things we don't have to deal with (like who has the green dot for example) in order to make moves that need to be made for the team on the field to be better. Look at Demby being trotted out there over and over and fucking over. Or Evans. Fans knew those two sucked ass long before the coaches pulled the plug.

Coaches build rapport with these guys. They see what they might be able to be. We see what they are on game day. They have to look dudes in the eye and tell them they're being benched. We make a post about it and go about our day. It is easier for us. We don't have all the inside knowledge, but we also aren't plagued by interpersonal relationships skewing our perception. So sometimes we are right.

Once again and mark my words... Once Speights gets that job and is in it for a few weeks to get into the flow of it he will upgrade us at backer. And our defense will start to take the form they will have in the playoffs, with better range and tackling from that position. I have zero doubt he will provide those things. Problem is that fucking green dot. He probably wasn't anywhere close to getting everyone lined up and knowing the calls and their nuances.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That's one of the positions I've been wondering about.. if there's a low-cost move out there to be made. Just one big-body vet who can help on first and second downs, both with his actual ability and his experience to settle everyone down.
They signed Gallimore. That makes me think that signing that you speak of just isn’t available. They’d likely have to trade to find that guy. Plus a few teams have injuries to top DTs right now. Everybody would be scouting the waiver wire.
Rex Ryan was talking after this game about the new DC who lacks experience as a caller needing to coach out of a book. And he's right. Both the shitters and Rams have young DCs learning on the job.

The shitter DC is about to get fired. Seriously. Their defense has not been the typical unit they are used to having. Talent is there. But they are not dominant up front, they are not as physical as usual, and their rush is not as potent. If that doesn't change they're done. And their secondary is not great either. Look for a change at DC for them by midseason if it takes that long.

Rams on the other hand started the game slow and got better as the game went on. They got stronger. They played harder. They limited the grounds yards. They got after Purdy and he felt that rush even if they didn't get home enough on him. Rams have a strong pressure front which is a very good sign for the rest of this schedule. They just have to tune up that run defense and keep growing that front together. Secondary is not gonna be great but there is talent back there that has yet to show as a unit being on one page. Have to think that improves as well, particularly when we get Williams back.

Shula might be up for this. Still pulling for him but a long way to go.
I thought he was mostly speaking about Sorensen.

I think right now, Shula is being held back by his players not having the scheme down. This is surprising because in the first preseason game, the second and third stringers seemed to have it memorized. I was excited to see it this season with the first string.
I haven’t looked it up but how many minutes has the D played with a lead thru three games? Maybe 5 min?

They’re getting rolled early but more importantly so is the offense, which will always be the catalyst of a McVay team.

I don’t think we know yet what kind of attacking defense Shula wants to call.
Good point. But the shocking part was how easily the Cards played Shula’s scheme. Right now there is no disguise to it at all.
Looking at the schedule the majority of our remaining opponents are have QB's who can scramble. They're gonna need to figure out how to contain them. Not take the bad angles. Limit the damage they do on the outside of the pocket. Do that and a lot of these quarterbacks wills struggle. Maybe send faster DB's after the QB more often?
Yeah, the blitzing corner would be a good option. Also, school the DLine in how to contain. We’ve seen so much overpursuit so far. Get your hands up against squirts like Murray and Purdy.

I’d also like to see Verse and Fiske start eorking on their grip strength. When AD got ahold of a shirt the Qb or RB was going down.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I thought he was mostly speaking about Sorensen.

I think right now, Shula is being held back by his players not having the scheme down. This is surprising because in the first preseason game, the second and third stringers seemed to have it memorized. I was excited to see it this season with the first string.
Yes he was speaking about Sorensen. But the truth of what he said applies to Shula as well. Shula is coaching out of a book, i.e. the gameplan they set. But during a game adjustments must be made, shit gets messy, and instinct of the play call factors in largely. Some young DCs never develop that ability to call it in live action. No way to know which one Shula will be until he runs the course doing the job.

So far he's done some good things, and there's also some shit I'm annoyed by. But it's not like I've seen enough to think he's in over his head. IMO the guy in SF is in over his head. The dropoff from previous DCs to him is quite large I think. Shula we'll see but I suspect the best is ahead for him.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
I agree I'd give the D time. I'd love to start seeing pressures causing some INTs next game. Another running QB coming up hope he doesn't tire the Rams D too much. "Just stay in yo' lane!!"

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I've been down on the defense. Still concerned. They make too many mistakes. Miss to many tackles. Youngster still have a lot to learn. But I'm not on the Shula criticism camp. The youth will need time. I don't know if Shula will be a good DC or not. But I do know its not fair to put the shortcomings on him. They're doing as well as can be expected at this point. They could turn into a good unit by season's end. They did force kicks on the last two drives. One FG attempt and one punt.

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
By all measures of talent, the Rams invested the least amount into their defense of any team in the NFL. The spend less on defensive line, edge rushers, and linebackers than any other team in the league. They are also in the bottom five for money spent on the secondary.

source: https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2024/9/23 ... hris-shula
How many 1st, 2nd and/or 3rds have they spent on D in the last two years?

Feels odd to say that. FA, yes but they've 'invested' on the D in recent years.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Shula is coaching a defense that has the least amount of cap space allocated to in the entire NFL and it’s not even close. Couple that with the retirement of the Best Defensive Player in football and you can see the challenges he’s facing. They have struggled but it’s not all on Shula. Rams offense has struggled to score in the first half. Offense has only put up a total of 13 first half points this season. If the offense could get out to a better start it would definitely help the defense. Rams offense needs to carry this young defense until they can figure things out. Control the clock, score points and put the pressure on the other teams defense.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Im in the give Shula time camp. Its refreshing not to see all the complaints about 10 yard cushions.
Agree. But I don't want to see only 3 people rushing the passer any more. Purdy had all day (literally) to find receivers when Shula made those calls. The secondary needs a pass rush to hurry the QB.