Mistake to Make Shula DC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We're going to have to be patient with this whole defense. Shula is learning on the fly but also our entire defensive line is being led mostly by second year players or less. Every phase of this defense needs to get it's feet wet.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Man. We don't win that game without Reeder. He made a MASSIVE stop that ended the 49er drive that resulted in a FG.

One play rarely wins a game, or loses a game.

If Bell doesn't drop a pass that hits him between the "1" and the "0", the Rams also ... 'don't win that game'

That was Reeder's best play of the day; and he had a few others ... Overall? ... he and Rozeboom were just OK.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I missed that play then. But how was he in the first half and before that tackle when they were running pretty good against us? One key tackle is nice but again was he part of the bad D that put us in a hole?

That's the point. Reeder's third down stop was outstanding, and a big play.

His overall play (and that of Christian Rozeboom), was average-to-below-average, in my opinion.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the point. Reeder's third down stop was outstanding, and a big play.

His overall play (and that of Christian Rozeboom), was average-to-below-average, in my opinion.
Pretty much what I saw, I know I'm anti Reeder but I didn't think I was being overly harsh on him for yesterday.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
We're going to have to be patient with this whole defense.

Absolutely!
That applies to Shula and a bunch of new defensive coaches. It applies to the D-Line and Edge players, and much of the D-backfield. It applies to all the young players ... rookies and 2nd/3rd-yr guys, with larger roles.

But does it apply to Reeder and Rozeboom? Reeder is 30 and in his 6th season. Rozeboom is 27 and in his 5th.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Pretty much what I saw, I know I'm anti Reeder but I didn't think I was being overly harsh on him for yesterday.
I re-watch games; and this one will definitely be re-played on the NFL Network this week.

I like to focus on unit-play and/or individual-play. Can't do that with DBs and Receivers because they are not always in the picture frame but can do it with Line-play. Can also fast-forward and focus on specific players or units; and see all the snaps in about 20 minutes.

I will do that with Bruss and Limmer since they should have important roles in the coming weeks.

Will also do that with Reeder and Rozeboom. Maybe, I am being too harsh.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While there are clear errors in execution, I dont see why some would be upset with Shula's scheme? As for Verse and Fiske, I am thrilled with what we've seen so far. Fiske is already drawing doubles and Verse is creating pressure. Sure they both are making some mistakes but that can be worked on with experience, while the fact that they are getting in position to make mistakes is incredibly encouraging.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
So Reeder and Roseboom were tied with lake for the lead in team tackles with 10 but how many of them were within five yards of the line of scrimmage.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Absolutely!
That applies to Shula and a bunch of new defensive coaches. It applies to the D-Line and Edge players, and much of the D-backfield. It applies to all the young players ... rookies and 2nd/3rd-yr guys, with larger roles.

But does it apply to Reeder and Rozeboom? Reeder is 30 and in his 6th season. Rozeboom is 27 and in his 5th.
Nope. Those two guys are just not good enough, unfortunately. But I think we can get by with better defensive line play. Really need Williams back too.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
While there are clear errors in execution, I dont see why some would be upset with Shula's scheme? As for Verse and Fiske, I am thrilled with what we've seen so far. Fiske is already drawing doubles and Verse is creating pressure. Sure they both are making some mistakes but that can be worked on with experience, while the fact that they are getting in position to make mistakes is incredibly encouraging.
They make me scream every time they miss a sack but I love that they're getting back there as often as they do.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
While there are clear errors in execution, I don't see why some would be upset with Shula's scheme? As for Verse and Fiske, I am thrilled with what we've seen so far. Fiske is already drawing doubles and Verse is creating pressure. Sure they both are making some mistakes but that can be worked on with experience, while the fact that they are getting in position to make mistakes is incredibly encouraging.

Also think THIS is a key point. Verse and Fiske have shown the talent to get in position to make plays.

Right now, they are missing a lot of plays, with over-pursuit and poor angles ... BUT ... they ARE right there to make a play; and THAT is what can NOT be easily taught.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
It took Staley about 4 weeks for the defense to start clicking. He also had AD and Ramsey, and overall a more experienced defense.

RamWoodie

Legend
It's kinda early too be doing this with all the injuries. Donald and Jones gone who where anchors of the defense. Think about it... yesterday, in the 4th qtr those guys took it to the 9er's!!! It's was like THE LIGHT CAME ON!!!

They need more time folks!!! At the Bears next!!!

Ellard80

Legend
So Reeder and Roseboom were tied with lake for the lead in team tackles with 10 but how many of them were within five yards of the line of scrimmage.
Would have to actually watch the film - plus backers making tackles down field is also a result of the d-line getting pushed.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Not sure if Shula is a bad coach or if we and the Rams management underestimated how big of a loss AD's retirement was. Verse, Fisk and a few others seem to be good players, but we have no veteran leadership with a vocal leader like we had with AD. These players can develop and become better, but we are lacking right now. But thankfully, they did enough for the Rams to beat the whiners and possibly save our season by stealing this game.

As an aside, Is Jake Moody a choker? Now 55 yards is no gimme, but he does seem to miss big kicks, save for the last super bowl.
This! But I’ll add in: Let’s not discount how good of a coach Raheem was. Proof is right in front of us.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I saw Reeder make at least one behind LOS.. and several close to it.. they even highlighted how he avoided the center to stop one run,

I’m not arguing he’s “good”… I’m just saying he hasn’t been a liability or the problem. He’s also not coming off soon, now that I see it.. because the team is too green or new to have someone else with the green dot.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I missed that play then. But how was he in the first half and before that tackle when they were running pretty good against us? One key tackle is nice but again was he part of the bad D that put us in a hole?
I think this conversation with Reeder on the heels of him putting up what was probably his best game for us demonstrates the problem. One of the posts referred to him as serviceable, which is quite accurate. But serviceable is not the goal for this defense. I guarantee it is not McVay's goal for his defense.

So it's coming. We just have to wait for Shula to get there. I suspect this is about the green dot to some extent as well. But either way we should see Rozeboom replaced first and that's a great way to get Speights on the field for now.

To this I use an old southern expression; "Even a blind squirrel finds an acorn once in awhile". I to want to see Speights in the middle!
:bullseye: