McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Except at least two, maybe three of those loses were due to the Rams playing their scrubs in meaningless, end of year games where we had no reason to win.
You always play to win, there is nothing worst then going into the playoffs on a losing note.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
You always play to win, there is nothing worst then going into the playoffs on a losing note.
McVay doesn't! There were several times where we had to play a meaningless game on the last day of the regular season against the 9ers and McVay rested all of the starters. Got us to the Super bowl once but usually leave us flat going into the playoffs as well as convincing the 9ers that they are better than us.

NEOM

UDFA
Name
MbS

What's up with all the Mcvay hate I've been reading in here the last day?

He's the best thing that has ever happened to the Rams. So what if they have a few clunkers a year.

Man how quickly people forget.

Dont think it's about hate. It's about expectations. This team is build for a SB win, people expect it. Unfortunately, everthing needs to come together in order to have the ultimate success. McVay saw what the Bucs with Brady did, in some ways he is aiming for the same thing, trying to cement his legacy in this game.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
You're splitting hairs.

I don't see a blue font, and I'm bad with whether it's sarcasm.

The current Browns could have no regrets about firing BB because they didn't fire BB. The organization that fired BB and would regret it is currently the Ravens.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I don't see a blue font, and I'm bad with whether it's sarcasm.

The current Browns could have no regrets about firing BB because they didn't fire BB. The organization that fired BB and would regret it is currently the Ravens.
I think we all understand that.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
McVay's just frustrating me at the moment.
His strengths are incredible, but his weaknesses are significant and, more troubling, don't seem to be getting better.

I don't want to get into psychoanalysis.. that kind of thing bugs me, so I'll avoid the "why" aspect..
But he's still really bad in making 4th down decisions and really bad at making adjustments and decisions in tight, high pressure games.

The second one may just be my opinion.. but the 4th down thing is an absolute fact and his track record plays that out. Painfully conservative and, at times, makes completely baffling decision, like the fake FG attempt.

We've seen the Rams go into games where other teams have clear game plans, well designed to attack specific parts of the Rams schemes and the Rams do not adjust. It's frustrating.

My last thought is that I bought into what McVay was selling with bringing Morris in and making Morris learn someone else's D and make "tweaks."
Turns out that was about as good a decision as letting Rob Boras and Mike Groh try to mesh completely different offenses into one scheme.. it's incoherent.

TK42-RAM

... still not at my post.
McVay's just frustrating me at the moment.
His strengths are incredible, but his weaknesses are significant and, more troubling, don't seem to be getting better.

I don't want to get into psychoanalysis.. that kind of thing bugs me, so I'll avoid the "why" aspect..
But he's still really bad in making 4th down decisions and really bad at making adjustments and decisions in tight, high pressure games.

The second one may just be my opinion.. but the 4th down thing is an absolute fact and his track record plays that out. Painfully conservative and, at times, makes completely baffling decision, like the fake FG attempt.

We've seen the Rams go into games where other teams have clear game plans, well designed to attack specific parts of the Rams schemes and the Rams do not adjust. It's frustrating.

My last thought is that I bought into what McVay was selling with bringing Morris in and making Morris learn someone else's D and make "tweaks."
Turns out that was about as good a decision as letting Rob Boras and Mike Groh try to mesh completely different offenses into one scheme.. it's incoherent.

Agree it is frustrating. I wish he'd run the ball more. Although our receivers dropping 5 relatively straight forward catchable balls - 3 of which were going to be converted to first downs - doesn't help the coach out.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
I have asked this question several times and nobody has yet answered it.

Who would you rather have as a head coach than Sean McVay?

Again, I'll wait.

HX76

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Again, I'll wait.
Ok I’ll answer. It’s The tartan Simeone himself.......David Moyes.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Again, I'll wait.
I wouldn’t pick anyone else because I love the kid. I have high hopes.

That being said, where would he rank right now, loyalty aside?

Who are the best HCs in the NFL?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Again, I'll wait.

It's not a question of McVay or no McVay. It's a question of whether he and his coordinators are getting the most out of our players and putting them in position to not get beat up and embarrassed as we have the last two weeks.

Is he a good coach? Yes, unequivocally. Does he have his flaws? Yes. Had he addressed those flaws? So far, no. And the questions and critiques will remain until he does.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
This could possibly be the silliest thread yet, at least silliest that kind of intended to be serious.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I read an interesting quote today,

Sean McVay spoke to reporters Tuesday and explained why the Rams didn’t have Ramsey exclusively covering Samuel or Kittle, opting to use him in a variety of ways.

“I think there’s merit to that,” McVay said of having Ramsey on the opponent’s top receiver. “I think in order to be able to do that with Jalen, you still have to have some other complementary pieces that can go play elsewhere. (Dont’e Deayon) has been a guy that’s done an outstanding job being able to allow Jalen to have that flexibility these last couple of weeks. It was Darious (Williams) earlier in the season, it’s been Double D as of late. So, there’s a lot of layers to it, but there are certainly some instances – and we had that in the second half where he was matched up on some of those guys, but whether it’s Deebo, Kittle even (Brandon) Aiyuk made a couple plays. Definitely want to try to continue to find ways to have Jalen at the point of attack or where you envision offenses want their point of attack player to be, but there are a lot of layers to it.”

If they were to keep him on one side of the field, McVay says the opponent can just target the other side and avoid throwing Ramsey’s way.

“This is all really geared towards the flexibility that Jalen enables us to operate with the different positions he can play, it’s how many different ways can we give him play opportunities?” McVay said. “And those ‘make a difference plays.’ Whereas if you’re exclusively just playing corner on one side or the other, you can basically say, ‘Okay, he’s going to shut out, or we’re going to just be able to stay away from that.’ But he’s not going to be able to impact and influence the game, even though in some ways it kind of does, but he’s just such a physical, tough player that you want to try to have him around the ball as much as possible, take advantage of all the versatility he provides. And I think on a week-to-week basis, that’s predicated on the opponent, how we want to utilize our personnel groupings.”

I think there's merit in that? Okay he's going to shut out or we're going to be able to stay away from that but he's not going to impact the game and influence the game, even though in some ways it does??

These 2 statements confuse me. The part I don't understand is what flexibility is he talking about? The flexibility to have ramsey sometimes cover the other teams 3rd receiver? It's been my understanding that a corner who can take away one side of the field, or even better, the opponents top wideout, is a DC's dream. Sean poo-poos the scenario saying the qb will just throw to where ramsey isn't. Yeah, but he can still do that when he's covering your 3rd receiver only now he can target his best receiver. Which they did with much success. Flexibility concept debunked.

I'm saying right now, they better knock this shit off against green bay because if he's not one on one with adams all night, and adams has a even a good game, I'm gonna be pissed.

Last edited:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's been my understanding that a corner who can take away one side of the field, or even better, the opponents top wideout, is a DC's dream.

It sure is. Mcvay described exactly why Ramsey should cover the opposition's best weapon. Not sure why they went away from that this season.

He should tell Ramsey to forget about the stats. Take away their best wr. That's better than any stat.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I read an interesting quote today,

Sean McVay spoke to reporters Tuesday and explained why the Rams didn’t have Ramsey exclusively covering Samuel or Kittle, opting to use him in a variety of ways.

“I think there’s merit to that,” McVay said of having Ramsey on the opponent’s top receiver. “I think in order to be able to do that with Jalen, you still have to have some other complementary pieces that can go play elsewhere. (Dont’e Deayon) has been a guy that’s done an outstanding job being able to allow Jalen to have that flexibility these last couple of weeks. It was Darious (Williams) earlier in the season, it’s been Double D as of late. So, there’s a lot of layers to it, but there are certainly some instances – and we had that in the second half where he was matched up on some of those guys, but whether it’s Deebo, Kittle even (Brandon) Aiyuk made a couple plays. Definitely want to try to continue to find ways to have Jalen at the point of attack or where you envision offenses want their point of attack player to be, but there are a lot of layers to it.”

If they were to keep him on one side of the field, McVay says the opponent can just target the other side and avoid throwing Ramsey’s way.

“This is all really geared towards the flexibility that Jalen enables us to operate with the different positions he can play, it’s how many different ways can we give him play opportunities?” McVay said. “And those ‘make a difference plays.’ Whereas if you’re exclusively just playing corner on one side or the other, you can basically say, ‘Okay, he’s going to shut out, or we’re going to just be able to stay away from that.’ But he’s not going to be able to impact and influence the game, even though in some ways it kind of does, but he’s just such a physical, tough player that you want to try to have him around the ball as much as possible, take advantage of all the versatility he provides. And I think on a week-to-week basis, that’s predicated on the opponent, how we want to utilize our personnel groupings.”

I think there's merit in that? Okay he's going to shut out or we're going to be able to stay away from that but he's not going to impact the game and influence the game, even though in some ways it does??

These 2 statements confuse me. The part I don't understand is what flexibility is he talking about? The flexibility to have ramsey sometimes cover the other teams 3rd receiver? It's been my understanding that a corner who can take away one side of the field, or even better, the opponents top wideout, is a DC's dream. Sean poo-poos the scenario saying the qb will just throw to where ramsey isn't. Yeah, but he can still do that when he's covering your 3rd receiver only now he can target his best receiver. Which they did with much success. Flexibility concept debunked.

I'm saying right now, they better knock this shit off against green bay because if he's not one on one with adams all night, and adams has a even a good game, I'm gonna be pissed.

It sure is. Mcvay described exactly why Ramsey should cover the opposition's best weapon. Not sure why they went away from that this season.

He should tell Ramsey to forget about the stats. Take away their best wr. That's better than any stat.

They are overthinking it and outsmarting themselves and thus are being outsmarted by the opponents.

NEOM

UDFA
Name
MbS

Again, I'll wait.

Having Sean McVay as HC is totally fine. He is the right fit. The only think that could happen and probably happened is overthinking things, trying to outclass and outsmart the opponent and by trying this, you shoot yourself in the foot. McVay is a great couch, he never really recovered from the SB loss couple years ago, that is driving him crazy, I just hope that it does not take him down at some point. This season is crucial for him.