McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
He really needs to bring back the Play Action Pass - you may hate Goff but he was one of the best with faking the Play Action Pass

Never hated Goff, and he was great at the play action. It was amplified when Gurley was healthy because TG was at that time a franchise back and a weapon that had to be accounted for on every play.

Here's another great article about the Rams offensive struggles as of late. One upshot - they seem to have a huge blind spot when it comes to self-scouting, and McVay needs to rectify that, because we are having problems like this at this juncture of the season for every year he's been here.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I'm certainly not calling for getting rid of McVay. No way. But there needs to be some kind of tweak in the overall approach.
This line from the Ringer article... ouch.

"It’s a lot easier to get defenders into throwing windows when you know what plays are coming. And that’s where the predictability of McVay’s play-calling has been an issue over the last few weeks."

And the article points out that the Rams offense in the second half of seasons consistently takes a big step back.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped

Tano

Legend
Never hated Goff, and he was great at the play action. It was amplified when Gurley was healthy because TG was at that time a franchise back and a weapon that had to be accounted for on every play.

Here's another great article about the Rams offensive struggles as of late. One upshot - they seem to have a huge blind spot when it comes to self-scouting, and McVay needs to rectify that, because we are having problems like this at this juncture of the season for every year he's been here.

That should have said - some of you (meaning some people on ROD)

Sorry - my bad

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Gotta shout out an important win for the Rams and a great tweak/emphasis shift.. bringing in the jumbo package and committing to the run game.
A great stat I just read is that the Rams ran *despite* facing 8-boxes about 50% of Michel's carries and still got positive yardage. That, to me, is a big, big mentality shift and one that is nice to see being worked in.
I feel like I saw a little more press coverage today on D, but maybe that was my imagination.

Either way, nice approach by McVay and I hope it's one that can carry through to other games.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Honestly, that jumbo package was almost passive aggressive... it was a WONDERFUL WAY of McVay shouting to the NFL and the fans and pundits alike, "I HEAR YOU! I KNOW I NEED TO EMPHASIZE THE RUN MORE!!!"

I truly hope he keeps it up.

Also, did anyone notice how much better the passing game was with the play action integrated? It even worked when Stafford went the wrong way...LOL.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was actually thinking about the Rams bringing in a tackle to play tight end but I wrote it off thinking it would be a "tell" to the defense, letting them know that a run play was coming. But then the Jags D could still not stop it. Who knows... maybe now McCay will work in a pass play for Noteboom in a close game in the playoffs-lol.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I was actually thinking about the Rams bringing in a tackle to play tight end but I wrote it off thinking it would be a "tell" to the defense, letting them know that a run play was coming. But then the Jags D could still not stop it. Who knows... maybe now McCay will work in a pass play for Noteboom in a close game in the playoffs-lol.
Imo McVay deserves a lot of credit for his Jacksonville game plan. He made a lot of changes to formations and play calling. Some we've been calling for, and others no one thought of. (Noteboom). And they worked.

Beefed up the blocking. Consistently called the run. Made a virtue of necessity by using Michel, who rewarded him with our best running game of the year. Empowered the o-line and Michel to get physical.

Then... AFTER setting up the RUN... McVay called PLAY ACTION passes!!! Often and with great success.

Rolled out Stafford, with more success. Varied the receivers. Wasn't obsessed with long shots with no blockers from deep in our own zone and early in the game. No head scratching calls. Willing to be methodical. Picked great spots to run his favorite best schemed pass plays. Especially going to Kupp in the second half. Without forcing things.

Most of all--

McVay was more patient and less predictable. This rolled straight down into Stafford, who looked equally patient and under control. McVay also enabled the offense to regain elements of physicality and surprise. Results speak for themselves.

Great job Coach!!!!

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Also for the first time this year they ran 13 personel (3 TE, 1 TE, 2 WR). Cards DC have a lot to think about.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am starting to think his prioritization of player health can at times lead to less physicality, especially as the season goes on. And when you reach a point where you're losing games, well, it doesn't matter if you're getting an edge in health because your season will be over soon.

Either way Super Bowl champions tend to be able to at least play and win a physical type playoff game. His teams have generally lost in the playoffs due to physicality, i.e. not being able to run it well while the other team can. So this is a welcome change to me and hope it continues.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Rams won the TOP battle by 7 1/2 minutes because of that run game strategy.

Plus there’s the benefit of having a more rested D rather than an exhausted one.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
McVay has said it’s important to throw downfield.. but he’s had an over correction, imo.
He needs to learn that, yes, sometimes you’re going to have to grind out 13 play drives.
Patience and persistence.