Marcus Peters to the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
BREAKING: Marcus Peters’ Kneeling During National Anthem Was Factor in Trade Away From Kansas City

It was just a few days ago when the Kansas City Chiefs made it known to all that all-pro CB Marcus Peters was on the trading block. And it didn’t take long for them to find a suitor, shipping him out to the Los Angeles Rams for a couple of draft picks.

Peters, who just turned 25 years old and has 19 career interceptions, actually had little interest in him when the Chiefs began shopping him around. As a matter of fact, only three teams showed any type of interest and it had a lot to do with his national anthem protests last season.

SI has the story.

“I’m told the Chiefs called all 31 other teams in the league this month on Peters, looking for a trade partner, and 28 teams either said they were not interested or did not make an offer of any value. For a player with the playing history of Peters at a vital and hard-to-fill position, that’s amazing.

Peters’ behavior had become erratic, apparently, capped by the Week 13 meltdown in the Meadowlands. The Chiefs decided they couldn’t trust his behavior anymore and, despite his playmaking ability, felt whatever they could fetch for him in trade would be better than Peters returning in 2018.

His protests during the national anthem didn’t help—at various points he raised his fist, sat on the bench and stayed in the locker room—but weren’t the driving force behind a trade.

Peters loves football. He practiced hard in Kansas City. But his tendency to lose it was a divisive part of his résumé too, and a big reason why the Chiefs dumped him.

In the end, Peters’ temper and disposition probably cost him a long career in Kansas City.”

Back in November, Chiefs owner Clark Hunt revealed he had spoken with Peters about kneeling during the national anthem.

“When it rolled around last year, it really wasn’t a big deal for us, and we’ve tried to stay with that this year,” Hunt said. “Obviously we’ve had some guys who have sat or knelt during some of the games this year, but we’ve continued to work with them and communicate with them that we prefer for them to stand.”

..and this what Peters had to say about his kneeling:

Nobody’s gotta know my reason why I sit,” Peters said. “Nobody’s gotta know the reason why somebody chooses the religion they choose. Nobody’s gotta know why I eat cereal instead of eating oatmeal in the morning.”

http://www.totalprosports.com/2018/...em-was-factor-in-trade-away-from-kansas-city/
The point of a protest is so people know what your protesting. So I'm not sure his reasoning makes sense. By the way anyone find it ironic that people are saying kneeling for the national anthem in protest is considered disrespectful to the military when solders have died for our right to kneel for the national anthem or protest any other peaceful and lawful way we choose? I am not saying that I agree with the choice of protesting, but the outrage to me seems more like away to deflect what the protest is about. I mean, isn't it easier to get all pissed off about how the protest is being carried out than to have a real discussion about what the issues are. Oh and I am all for the trade sitting or standing.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Just want to point out that you are by no way a spokesman for other Vets

Neither am I am but I strongly disagree with your ( it doesn’t) b/c thru my perspective yes it does

No offense Mac, I salute your passion

I know you know this, but I never consider myself for anyone other than myself.

(Edit. that last sentence reads like I was just hit in the head. Lemme try again.

I know you know this, but I never consider myself a spokesman for anyone other than myself.

There. That's a bit better. Not the greatest sentence ever constructed in the English language, but at least now, one doesn't need an NSAID after reading it. Carry on.)

It pains me when non-vets try to make us a monolithic block and then ascribe to us their opinions.

As long as we respect one another as human beings, we’ve already gotten a fair bit of the way to solving any dilemma or handling any dispute.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
The point of a protest is so people know what your protesting. So I'm not sure his reasoning makes sense. By the way anyone find it ironic that people are saying kneeling for the national anthem in protest is considered disrespectful to the military when solders have died for our right to kneel for the national anthem or protest any other peaceful and lawful way we choose? I am not saying that I agree with the choice of protesting, but the outrage to me seems more like away to deflect what the protest is about. I mean, isn't it easier to get all ticked off about how the protest is being carried out than to have a real discussion about what the issues are. Oh and I am all for the trade sitting or standing.

I find this situation to be an anti-fractal in that the more you magnify it, the more different the parts look.

And freedom becomes stickier when one really disagrees with how others are exercising their freedoms.

It’s what happen when human behavior meets an ideal.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm personally against any type of action that tries to destroy a platform.

What I am for, is providing guidelines and even more ways to help the players express their beliefs. This is what I would do if I were running the NFL:
1. Fine players for kneeling during the anthem
2. 50% of the fine goes to the veterans programs / 50% of the fine goes to the cause of the protest
3. Provide guidelines - raising fists okay? shoulder to shoulder stance okay? arms in arms okay?
4. If fined for kneeling, must also post an interview stating the cause and starting the dialogue.

I'm not taking a stance on kneeling. But the fact is that some people are offended by the act. These protests were never intended to upset the veteran crowd. The whole kneeling thing is a distraction.

In order to separate sports from politics, the league should create a separate avenue where the players can protest without having to blend into the sports content. It would be very stupid of them to tell them to just stop.

Last edited:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
It’s a flag in that we are asked while in attendance to show it the respect our flag deserves. We are asked to stand and remove our covers...err...hats. And the only time such a display with multiple handlers and holding it flat is acceptable is to place or remove the flag from a coffin.

So they’ve turned the single most solemn moment of how our flag is to be displayed into...something cynical and commercial.

Yet another part of it I don’t like.
Believe me. I get what you're saying but every game I've been to where they unfurled it, we were (EDIT) not [not should not be there - we WERE] asked to direct our attention to the flag that was properly displayed and was indeed a flag. The one on the field is not officially the flag. The flag is on a pole or the one being held by the Color Guard. A one sided flag cannot qualify as the American Flag. If you look into it, the bottom side of the flag is without stars and it is assembled on site in sections. It is one sided on purpose. So - much like people who use elements of the flag in clothing, it is not the flag they are using. If they cut up a flag and make some shorts out of it, yeah - I have a problem with that. But maybe that's just me.
But that’s okay. It’s cool to disagree.
Indeed it is. Peace and cheers my friend.

Last edited:

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
Why can’t you keep your politics out of my football? Eh? We got channels dedicated to political BS and sports programming dedicated to our sports. Some asshole thought it was a good idea to merge them.

There you have it!

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The point of a protest is so people know what your protesting. So I'm not sure his reasoning makes sense. By the way anyone find it ironic that people are saying kneeling for the national anthem in protest is considered disrespectful to the military when solders have died for our right to kneel for the national anthem or protest any other peaceful and lawful way we choose? I am not saying that I agree with the choice of protesting, but the outrage to me seems more like away to deflect what the protest is about. I mean, isn't it easier to get all ticked off about how the protest is being carried out than to have a real discussion about what the issues are. Oh and I am all for the trade sitting or standing.
That's an interesting point. I don't follow the disrespect to the military argument for exactly the reason you stated. I simply feel the protest is misplaced in its vehicle. And interesting, it seems that most people I know that are in the military or have been, don't take it as an affront to the military itself. Some no doubt do but I think that is a red herring or misdirection play in many cases.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Why can’t you keep your politics out of my football? Eh? We got channels dedicated to political BS and sports programming dedicated to our sports. Some icehole thought it was a good idea to merge them.

There you have it!
This is exactly why I would propose that NFL create separate content for players where they talk about current issues. Needs to be likley a weekly program.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
This is exactly why I would propose that NFL create separate content for players where they talk about current issues. Needs to be likley a weekly program.
I'm not sure they need that. Much like anyone with cache, they can do that already. IMO - the reason they chose during the Anthem is that they knew they had a captive audience that wasn't going to just change the channel. I get the reasoning there but still think it is misplaced and inappropriate.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

LOL, ... and Papa John's will have to sponsor it. :fuelfire:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Unfortunately, this has been used by many relying on strife on both sides to make this more of an issue than it is. How 'bout we move on and discuss how the Peters trade affects our team?

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I dunno about separate content channels. (and the Ouch was because...it's sadly true)

The point is that if we did the work as a society that we should be doing, then our playtime wouldn't be tainted by the societal work issues.

We can either have one or the other. If we want our playtime to be purely escapist, we as a society are going to have to do a lot more listening to one another and work in addressing at the very least our most exigent concerns in a timely manner.

Or... we can not wash the dishes before the game which means we're going to have to wash the dishes during the game and have to watch from the kitchen.

That's just the physics of chores. And I'm copyrighting that phrase, btw.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure they need that. Much like anyone with cache, they can do that already. IMO - the reason they chose during the Anthem is that they knew they had a captive audience that wasn't going to just change the channel. I get the reasoning there but still think it is misplaced and inappropriate.
That's why I would fine the players in the first place. The fine would be their skin in the game.

I think they could use more structure and make it more consumer friendly and involve multiple players so it's really a players' coalition. If they find the right people, it could be a good program and also bring in additional ad revenues. They've already got the players.

Now, that they have provided a platform. Harder for them to get backlash on the fines and trying to curve the kneeling behavior.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
The point is that if we did the work as a society that we should be doing, then our playtime wouldn't be tainted by the societal work issues.
Yeah....yeah we would. Everything is a fucking issue these days. If not this than some other thing I never did or was a part of would be thrust into my face. It gets old and tired.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Unfortunately, this has been used by many relying on strife on both sides to make this more of an issue than it is. How 'bout we move on and discuss how the Peters trade affects our team?

So, now I'm really curious if this means we might still be in the market for Talib if he's cut (which may happen if Denver gets Cousins, although not sure how he says no to the Vikes).

I thought Peters was a pipe dream (actually, I never even thought it was possible). So, why not dream of Talib.

And Peters isn't Titus Young. He's a young man of IMMENSE talent who seems to rub rich white guys the wrong way.

That's awesome for us because I think he's gonna be a key to when we win the Super Bowl.

Not IF...but, WHEN.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

If you need more time to work out the mathematical calculations, I've got some more dishes you can wash.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's why I would fine the players in the first place. The fine would be their skin in the game.

I think they could use more structure and make it more consumer friendly and involve multiple players so it's really a players' coalition. If they find the right people, it could be a good program and also bring in additional ad revenues. They've already got the players.

Now, that they have provided a platform. Harder for them to get backlash on the fines and trying to curve the kneeling behavior.
I don't necessarily disagree. I think they'd find themselves preaching to the choir is all.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I dunno about separate content channels. (and the Ouch was because...it's sadly true)

We can either have one or the other. If we want our playtime to be purely escapist, we as a society are going to have to do a lot more listening to one another and work in addressing at the very least our most exigent concerns in a timely manner.

Or... we can not wash the dishes before the game which means we're going to have to wash the dishes during the game and have to watch from the kitchen.

By creating a separate program, you've now made it societal issues on-demand and you've also empowered your players. People can watch sports when they watch sports. I'm not saying this is going to be making $$ for them. But this is a huge PR issue.