Marcus Peters to the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So, now I'm really curious if this means we might still be in the market for Talib if he's cut (which may happen if Denver gets Cousins, although not sure how he says no to the Vikes).

I thought Peters was a pipe dream (actually, I never even thought it was possible). So, why not dream of Talib.

And Peters isn't Titus Young. He's a young man of IMMENSE talent who seems to rub rich white guys the wrong way.

That's awesome for us because I think he's gonna be a key to when we win the Super Bowl.

Not IF...but, WHEN.
Wasn't personally on the Talib bandwagon to begin with but I'm also not going to discount ANYTHING that could bring us SuperBowls.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How 'bout we move on and discuss how the Peters trade affects our team?

Well, on the field it gives the Rams a shutdown corner. I think we all appreciate that. More cap space will be nice, with it either being used to sign our free agents - or as Mackeyser suggests, spend it on the cornerback opposite Peters.

The Rams are a little short on draft picks because of it though - yes, they picked up a 6th to replace their 4th, but immediate help is likely only available from the first and the third. So a trade down could easily happen, unless a player the Rams covet falls to #23. One mock draft I saw had the Rams swapping firsts with the Falcons, which would have fair compensation being their 4th and 6th, or maybe their 4th and a future pick. Or maybe the Browns build a package including their first 2nd and lower picks for #23. Given McVay's success at drafting last season, I would like to see him have a bunch of mid-round picks.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Yeah....yeah we would. Everything is a freaking issue these days. If not this than some other thing I never did or was a part of would be thrust into my face. It gets old and tired.

Aw, c'mon.

Yeah, everything is an issue, but since the Civil Rights era, how many league-wide protests have we had that didn't involve a direct CBA labor dispute?

One, unless I lost track of something. And that's this current protest about police brutality.

Most NFL players are too busy with just trying to stay in the league and trying to make a few moments for family and charity to partake in smaller issues. Coaches have even less time and usually scramble to make a living until they become a known position coach or are promoted to a coordinator position.

Yes, the constant issues do certainly get old. And the older I get, I'm finding the older "it" gets. Whatever "it" is.

But I don't think the NFL will be in constant issue mode.

The only reason it seems that way is because we transitioned from complete cluelessness on behalf of the NFL regarding domestic violence to the protest against police brutality.

I'm fairly certain that there are not any pending issues waiting.

Well, automation is gonna be putting a ton of people out of work in the very near future, but sports is likely to be among the last areas where robots take over for us.

So...um... the FANS may be protesting, but...

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Sooooo how about that Peters trade? Lets get back on topic lol

I agree. I keep responding, but the Peters trade is the more interesting thing.

The only thing I will say is that I LOVE that we got a top 5 corner for peanuts because of a thing which if handled properly would have been a momentary blip on the radar.

So, as someone joked, if that's all it takes for us to get a top 5, All-Pro level talent, I have a list of players who I would love to kneel so that we could stock up on All-Pro talent on the cheap.

Okay, that's about as mercenary as I get and I'm being facetious, but yeah.

The story isn't the kneeling. It's how something that should be minor from an already high-maintenance player devalues him in a way that isn't commensurate with his play.

WE ROBBED THEM SO HARD that Snead should retain counsel.

Moreover, it says to the PLAYERS that we define players by their play, not by how an owner/FO sees their social stances.

Which is why I'd be glad to take Talib if he's cut.

Pretty sure when our Rams are hoisting the Lombardi (which with the Vikes, Eagles, Falcons, and Saints will be a tough trick coming from the NFC), no one's gonna remember any of this stuff.

When this migraine is fully gone, I'll see about putting together an analysis of how good Peters is for the Rams.

Preliminarily, it's an 11/10. And that's before I get to digging. I expect it to be even better than that.

Peters to the Rams? Not quite Faulk, but he's gonna make a huge difference.

YUGE!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Well, automation is gonna be putting a ton of people out of work in the very near future, but sports is likely to be among the last areas where robots take over for us.

Back to the future ?

il_fullxfull.739087171_9f15.jpg

Actually, ... modern full size 'human' form AI Bots controlled by a joystick at home could be pretty entertaining. And the cheerleaders, ohh yes, the cheerleaders ...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Aw, c'mon.

Yeah, everything is an issue, but since the Civil Rights era, how many league-wide protests have we had that didn't involve a direct CBA labor dispute?

One, unless I lost track of something. And that's this current protest about police brutality.

Most NFL players are too busy with just trying to stay in the league and trying to make a few moments for family and charity to partake in smaller issues. Coaches have even less time and usually scramble to make a living until they become a known position coach or are promoted to a coordinator position.

Yes, the constant issues do certainly get old. And the older I get, I'm finding the older "it" gets. Whatever "it" is.

But I don't think the NFL will be in constant issue mode.

The only reason it seems that way is because we transitioned from complete cluelessness on behalf of the NFL regarding domestic violence to the protest against police brutality.

I'm fairly certain that there are not any pending issues waiting.

So...um... the FANS may be protesting, but...
Not sure I see the correlation but I'm really getting jaded on the everything has to be an issue front. I - like most Americans - are not the problem and I get real tired of hypocrites telling me I am. I'd like to watch a sports venue or entertainment venue without being told I should feel bad. Being told by idiots doing the very things for which they are pointing their fingers is angering many. It rings hollow and it only serves to jade me further. I treat everyone as I would want them to treat me and most people I know do as well. So yeah - I think there will only be another cause, issue, guilty of not doing it - affront being placed in front of me and I'm frankly tired of it. It's of epic proportions and it frankly is NOT helping IMO. It only makes me think, "oh fuck - what's next?".

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I - like most Americans - are not the problem and I get real tired of hypocrites telling me I am. So yeah - I think there will only be another cause, issue, guilty of not doing it - affront being placed in front of me and I'm frankly tired of it. It's of epic proportions and it frankly is NOT helping IMO. It only makes me think, "oh freak - what's next?".

So do like most Americans, ... when you can't beat them, join them :

lots-of-alcohol.jpg

6010-heathered_black-z1-t-sweet-land-of-booze-and-weed.png

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Back to the future ?

il_fullxfull.739087171_9f15.jpg

Actually, ... modern full size 'human' form AI Bots controlled by a joystick at home could be pretty entertaining. And the cheerleaders, ohh yes, the cheerleaders ...

Well, we're many years away from athletic robots that can eclipse human athletes.

The cheerleaders, otoh, well... those we are VERY close to.

Priorities, man... PRIORITIES!!!

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Why can’t you keep your politics out of my football? Eh? We got channels dedicated to political BS and sports programming dedicated to our sports. Some icehole thought it was a good idea to merge them.

There you have it!
Glad that I read your post before I said the exact same thing.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
This is exactly why I would propose that NFL create separate content for players where they talk about current issues. Needs to be likley a weekly program.
Lol, you’re missing the point. Take politics and mandatory patriotism out of football, which is just entertainment after all.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I - like most Americans - am not the problem and I get real tired of hypocrites telling me I am.

Without getting too political, the question isn't if you're part of the problem. It's if you're part of the solution.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Without getting too political, the question isn't if you're part of the problem. It's if you're part of the solution.

I dunno if I'd put it in those terms.

I'll keep this short (Macky short, not short short...it is me, afterall...) because, apparently, there are rumors that we might have made a trade for Marcus freakin' Peters. So, I don't wanna distract anyone from what should be dominating the Rams News front.

I'd put it in terms of "sometimes, the Golden Rule isn't enough"

The Golden Rule is fantastic and I practice it as best as I can and I encourage all to do the same.

The issue comes when there are systemic issues which can't be addressed with how an individual treats other individuals.

Lemme use a historical example.

Guy is a great guy. Treats everyone great of all races, creeds, religions, genders etc. Everyone. Great.

He belongs to a restricted club in large part because of business contacts and because it's the only nice club around. The only other alternative is far away and not nearly as nice.

So, Guy treats his very good friend who happens to be Jewish very well. They share family meals and everything is great between them. Their kids even think of one another more as siblings than friends.

The issue is that the club is restricted. No amount of the Golden Rule UNrestricts the club, so his Jewish friend who he adores can't partake of the same facilities, make the same business contracts, etc. He can't even as a guest.

Thus responding to systemic issues with "golden rule" is apples and oranges. The Golden Rule should make it easier to approach addressing systemic issues, but it doesn't in and of itself address any systemic issue. Won't change any unjust laws or practices, for example.

That said, we all have so little time anymore, that it feels like all we can do is practice the Golden Rule and it feels very invasive and accusatory when we as individuals DO practice the Golden Rule and every ill is put upon us, seemingly in a very direct and individual way. This is compounded by the political process having been so corrupted that there is little faith our institutions will perform as intended.

It seems that we do a great service at the beginning when we acknowledge what are systemic issues to be addressed (racial disparity in prison sentences, for example) and what are individual things to be addressed (use of racial slurs).

There are no easy answers.

Okay....BREAKING NEWS: RAMS HAVE JUST TRADED FOR THE CHIEF'S MARCUS PETERS

Omg... I'm gonna have to lie down. Our D just got that much better and we haven't even seen the start of FA!!!

Ya know, I bet there are gonna be a LOT of posts about this!!!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

Who is defining the solution ? As an unapologetic partisan, I would likely be considered part of the problem by a good 35-40% of the voting public. I can compromise, but there still needs to be a reachable end-game in sight. There aren't a lot of moderates out there that I can see, not these days. jmo.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lol, you’re missing the point. Take politics and mandatory patriotism out of football, which is just entertainment after all.
Providing an outlet for players so that they don't bring the politics on to the football field is the best I can think of. I'm not trying to create a perfect world in a vacuum. Practically speaking, I don't know how you can just separate the two completely unless you take away the rights of the players.

People, including the players, are going to express their beliefs. If I'm Roger Goodell, the best I can do is to control when, where, and how to some degrees.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who is defining the solution ? As an unapologetic partisan, I would likely be considered part of the problem by a good 35-40% of the voting public. I can compromise, but there still needs to be a reachable end-game in sight. There aren't a lot of moderates out there that I can see, not these days. jmo.

I'd hope you aren't part of the specific problem we're cautiously referencing. Define the solution in whatever way you think is best. Just take some action. Try to make a positive difference.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
The more I read about Peters the less I like the trade.

Someone familiar with Peters wrote this on another forum

Sour grapes.

Does it really harm the product though? Reports are that viewership was down, but it's getting impossible to tell with all the streaming. On the flip side, "no press is bad press". The kneeling had outlets discussing the NFL that didn't normally.

As for the kneeling - I don't think I'll ever understand your view point. Aside from @Mackeyser whose post was brilliant, I've had other military people tell me it doesn't bother them. And even if it does bother some people, the irony is that things in life have bothered some people enough to the point where they feel like they have to kneel during the anthem. So it worked.

This country is all about freedom, and people can do whatever they want during the anthem IMO. And there are issues, and based on the conversations it's started, I think it was the right move.

Every vet I know stopped watching football. They weren't just casual fans either. Mostly Steeper fans from the 70s and 80s. Even a few Patriot fans. They may come back as everything dies down but so far they haven't. It's a matter of principles for them.

Meh, I don't care if he kneels or sits, he'll be more rested when the whistle blows then.

The government pays the NFL to shove all the "patriotic" crap in everyone's face to boost recruitment numbers. I don't need a freedom boner every Sunday, just play some freaking football.

Until it's not a part of sporting events across the country they should stand. My view on the anthem and the flag is that it is meant to be about the sacrifices people made to build this country, from the Revolutionary war to the Civil War and on. I stand to honor those that went before. I don't stand because I love the President, or because I think everything is perfect.

The U.S. & Canada are pretty alone in this ritual, most countries don't play a national anthem before sporting events. It's even getting controversial in public schools.

And stopping it in schools will just lead to further erosion of pride and patriotism in this country. Things are bad enough and not improving. I don't see how stopping the ritual helps anything.

The point of a protest is so people know what your protesting. So I'm not sure his reasoning makes sense. By the way anyone find it ironic that people are saying kneeling for the national anthem in protest is considered disrespectful to the military when solders have died for our right to kneel for the national anthem or protest any other peaceful and lawful way we choose? I am not saying that I agree with the choice of protesting, but the outrage to me seems more like away to deflect what the protest is about. I mean, isn't it easier to get all ticked off about how the protest is being carried out than to have a real discussion about what the issues are. Oh and I am all for the trade sitting or standing.

Kneeling doesn't tell us what the protest is about. It just says that someone isn't happy about the way things are in this country. Which, coming from rich successful people seems ironic. But, they are doing it for others, I get that but there are other ways to go about it.

I don't let players kneeling take away one of my favorite things. To me that would be foolish. If the entire league announced some anti American campaign then I would drop it, but it is only some players. They are entitled to their opinions. I won't have a problem rooting for Peters after he kneels. But I will if he costs the Rams by getting unsportsmanlike penalties, or taking costly risks. But I don't expect that to happen, until it does.