Marcus Peters to the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't care what went wrong in KC. I'm just glad we got a top CB with a cheap contract for the next two years. It'll allow us to use our cap space on another player in FA.
Yeah agree here with you ...I have no interest as to what went wrong in KC with Marcus Peters .... none. Onto your second thought ..yes it does provide the Ram Org some salary cap space relief for a period.

At this moment in time this does have the appearance of being what the Doctor Rx for the Rams 2018 Free Agency issues. I had posted numerous times that the Rams secondary was the biggest concern with all our top DB's either in FA'cy, Medical rehabbing units or full of prior WWC's & UDFA's. Really what a mess:palm:.

If the season began today (excluding Marcus Peters)the Rams have only one starter (JJ III) under contract & would have to start players like Kevin Peterson, Dom Hatfield, Marqui Christian, Blake Countess & Isaiah Johnson. But the Rams Organization knew this was going to happen:mad:.

Now having at least one NFL legitimate starting corner on this Ram team going into Free Agency does provide some serious heartburn relief as to the Ram real position when it come to dealing (signing) with our own 5 DB's in Free Agency. & how many will return if any.

So this trade helped in a sizable way but what will be real cost jrry? I just happen to hold draft selections higher in value than others....whats the true value of the Rams few precious highly valuable draft selections. Depends does it not.
It doesn't make sense for us to restructure Quinn's contract, and I see Barron as a goner. We need a bigger ILB.
Once again I agree with you here on Rob Quinn's contract. As I try to read all the Sports talkers & writers stress this type of thoughts ....But since they weren't willing to make Quinn part of the trade for Peters, it sounds like Quinn will be back in L.A :huh:.....For me I would not be so sold on that. In fact I am still of the mind set that Rob Quinn will not be in LA in 2018. We will see what I would call the Quinn problem resolved by Snead a little later.;)

ILB Mark Barron body has been trending towards breakdowns now longer than we really know. Barron missed most all the 2017 team practices (from OTA's till the first week of the playoffs) plus 2 complete gms & major parts of 2 other gms. He missed valuable practice time because he body was unable to participate & then play on Sunday. This is bad enough but then add the cost burden of having Barron here & the absence of a solid performance in run support...all adds up to where the Org must make a move on Barron.

Last edited:

jacktheripper85

Starter
Chiefs were desperate to move him it sounds. Maybe we packaged a bunch of mid-round picks

I was just on their board. Can you believe some of those knuckleheads believe that they haven’t announced compensation yet because Aaron Donald may be part of the trade because of last years holdout? LMFAO

fearsomefour

Legend
Unfortunately, I think you're right. Here's hoping the Raiders find a way to snag him.

To be fair to Peters, Kupp punked everyone in college. But hey, he ran a 4.6 40 at the Combine. Who cares about what he does on a football field if he's not fast on a track?

I think Marcus will learn his lesson if Whitworth pancakes him the first time he starts to act up. ;)
I know Pittsburgh was interested in trading for Tru last year. They may make a run for him too.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I know Pittsburgh was interested in trading for Tru last year. They may make a run for him too.
They had some cap space last year before signing Bell to his franchise tag. This year they're sitting at about $7 million. They'd have to make some magic happen to be able to pay him. And that's without signing Bell this year.

fearsomefour

Legend
I love getting Peters.....that didn't sound right.....anyway, he is a douche no doubt and I love Tru, but, this trade just make too much sense.
If the Rams kept that first round pick it should still be dog eared with a CB as far as I'm concerned. There are other ways the team can go and bring back our slot CB should still be a priority.
Bringing in another big name FA like Talib is not likely due to cost....Talib and Peters in the same D backfield is just much Dbaggery for one place I think. If the Rams donpursue FA on D would like to see that money go to LB and or DL.

fearsomefour

Legend
They had some cap space last year before signing Bell to his franchise tag. This year they're sitting at about $7 million. They'd have to make some magic happen to be able to pay him. And that's without signing Bell this year.
I don't think they are in a hurry to sign Bell.
I'm basing that on nothing more than speaking to Steeler fans....which is to say less than nothing.
May see the Whiners signing Davis and Tru along with some other pieces. Raiding division rivals when possible.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The Los Angeles Rams just got much better and sometimes teams feel their draft choices are sacred and you need to hold onto them, however, when you can acquire a young premier player at a thin position (Rams thin at CB) you make the deal. Also most likely the Rams would have drafted a CB number 1 and IMO, Marcus is far superior then any CB coming out this year, so WTG Les Snead!

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
5 immediate winners from the Marcus Peters trade to the Rams

898089602.jpg.0.jpg

The Chiefs and Rams pulled off the second big trade of the offseason, when Kansas City sent Marcus Peters to Los Angeles.

The Rams acquire one of the best cornerback talents in the NFL, and the Chiefs are moving on from a player that’s grown to be a bit polarizing within the organization.

But the trade means more to the NFL and the offseason than just the Rams and Chiefs, despite them being the only two parties involved.

Here are the immediate winners and losers of the trade.

The AFC West
Congratulations to the Broncos, Raiders, and Chargers — you no longer have to see Marcus Peters twice a year! Peters made the Pro Bowl in his first two seasons in the NFL, including an All-Pro nod in 2016.

He wasn’t a Pro Bowler in 2017, but still had five interceptions, three forced fumbles, two fumble recoveries, and a touchdown. He also had 42 total tackles, the second most in his three seasons as a pro.

Nine of his 19 career interceptions came against AFC West opponents.

The AFC West turned out to be pretty competitive towards the end of the season, but with Peters gone, the Chiefs will be looking to fill a void at cornerback. They added Kendall Fuller in the trade for Alex Smith, but could use some depth at the position.

Trumaine Johnson and his free agency
Johnson got the franchise tag from the Rams two consecutive seasons in a row, earning a nice $30.69 million chunk. Getting a third was already unlikely, but now it’s nearly official that he’ll be able to look to a new team and hefty extension.

In his first six NFL seasons, Johnson had 18 picks, and 67 passes defended. He’s still just 28 years old — while that’s not the youth a team might prefer in a defensive back they’re about to toss money at, he’s clearly still got game.

Teams hungry for a cornerback in free agency
The market will have another talented cornerback, assuming Johnson does indeed become a free agent. Malcolm Butler, E.J. Gaines, Rashaan Melvin, Aaron Colvin, Breshaud Breeland, Bryce Callahan, Patrick Robinson, and others will be more spread out than they were before.

Depending on Johnson’s contract, that could also set the tone for other defensive backs in the market, making them winners, too.

The Rams!
Marcus Peters is a pretty damn good football player, as evidenced by his interceptions since he joined the NFL in 2015:

The Rams were going to need another cornerback. They’re expected to throw Lamarcus Joyner the franchise tag, after already giving it to Trumaine Johnson the past two seasons. Assuming that they do indeed keep Joyner now, they’ve got a nice looking defensive backfield going into 2018.

The move is a strong one for the Rams. Not only did they acquire a great player, but it’s another sign that they probably have this thing going in the right direction after Jeff Fisher had them in a constant dumpster fire. That’s not a bad message to send for Sean McVay and the squad.

The Chiefs, too!
While Peters is a great player, the Chiefs didn’t seem to be too happy with his outbursts this season.

As Arrowhead Pride points out, “Officially, Peters has four career unsportsmanlike conduct penalties, in addition to one taunting call. If you watch the Chiefs every week either at Arrowhead Stadium or on television, we all know it could be much worse than that.”

This past season, Peters threw a referee’s flag into the stands after a call he didn’t agree with. He jogged off the field thinking he had been ejected, but only received an unsportsmanlike penalty for it. He then returned to the field, but with no socks.

Peters is a phenomenal talent, there’s no doubting that. But his personality appeared to be too much for Reid and the Chiefs. We’re not sure of what the compensation for the trade is yet, but you have to imagine that it was enough for the Chiefs to get rid of a player that they considered to be a pain.

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/2/24/17046226/marcus-peters-trade-rams-chiefs-winners

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Can Wade Phillips handle Marcus Peters?

gettyimages-884976528-e1519481514562.jpg

It’s still unclear why the Chiefs chose to trade cornerback Marcus Peters. From the things already known (last year’s team-imposed one-game suspension) to the things that eventually may be known to the things that may never be known, the Chiefs decided that they didn’t want to commit to Peters over the long haul, so they picked the ideal time to make a deal. (Some have suggested that his refusal to stand for the anthem in 2017 was a factor in the decision, a fact that the Chiefs will surely deny.)

Regardless of why the Chiefs did it, the deal will become official on March 14 (unless it unexpectedly craters), and the Rams will have to figure out how to get the most out of Peters. Under defensive coordinator Wade Phillips, they undoubtedly will.

Phillips presided over a collection of strong personalities in Denver, keeping talkative and potentially disruptive players on the same page and pointed in the right direction, most of the time. Put simply, if Peters won’t submit to Phillips coaching, he’ll submit to no one’s.

As noted by Bucky Brooks of NFL Media, a veteran defensive backs coach explained when Peters entered the draft that a “strong-willed coach” will be needed to get the most out of Peters. “It takes a wolf to coach a wolf,” the defensive backs coach told Brooks at the time.

Phillips, a wolf in sheepdog’s clothing, has been around every shape, size, and type of player during a lifetime of coaching. He’s seen, and handled, plenty of guys like Marcus Peters, and Phillips will know exactly what to say and do to get Peters to perform the way that the Rams will need him to perform.

[profootballtalk.nbcsports.com]

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
What a move by the Rams. Picking up a better CB than Tru, for a fraction of the cost over the next 2 seasons. Opens up a lot of possibilities going forward. Offseason is off to a tremendous beginning. Have not read about any off the field issues for Peters. Wade has made a career of putting players in the best position to excel. That may be exactly what Peters wants and needs in this point in his career.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Damn. I had no idea Quinn was that efficient rushing the passer. He’s right on par with Von Miller. Impressive.

as an added bonus russel willson love to scramble backwards which is right into quinns wheel house

FaulkSF

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
FaulkSF
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams keep Quinn and trade or release Barron now. Coach McVay will ensure a couple of the vets on defense stick around to help Peters buy into the we not me mentality via peer pressure.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
With Donald & Goff pulling in $25mil.+ each season, I'll be very surprised if we can afford a CB franchise tag being added to the bill. We can always hope ...

That is why Demoff frontlines contracts. Donald may average 25 million a year but it will start high and end low with a big big signing bonus right away. He could count 30+ million against the cap this year so in three years when Goff needs to be signed Donald's contract won't be an obstacle. I think 25 million average is a little high.

If the compensation doesn't involve next year's first I'll be shocked.

I will be shocked. The Rams are guaranteed only two years of Peters. That limits his trade value. The Rams being the only serious suitors drastically limits the trade value. Finally Peters' character is a risk. That is another thing in the Rams negotiating favor.

When Peters hits free agency he may be the highest paid corner in the league. The Rams most likely won't be able to afford him.

I love getting Peters.....that didn't sound right.....anyway, he is a douche no doubt and I love Tru, but, this trade just make too much sense.
If the Rams kept that first round pick it should still be dog eared with a CB as far as I'm concerned. There are other ways the team can go and bring back our slot CB should still be a priority.
Bringing in another big name FA like Talib is not likely due to cost....Talib and Peters in the same D backfield is just much Dbaggery for one place I think. If the Rams donpursue FA on D would like to see that money go to LB and or DL.

There is a chance that Denver can't find a trade partner for Talib. I hope not. I doubt the Rams have the picks to trade. But, if he is released then he shouldn't get a 15 million dollar deal because he is 31. He may be affordable. The biggest concern would be a team like San Francisco keeping Talib away from the Rams at all cost, which may happen. I expect Lyinch to have that plan. He has more money to work with.

@BonifayRam picks are valuable, but if a team is at the top and just needs a few pieces getting experienced players is more important for immediate impact. Plus, even first rounders can fail. If not GRob would be our starting All Pro OLT. We see good teams make these moves. They don't always pay off like Seattle doing it twice. Their trade for Percy Harvin was a failure. Their trade for Graham was so so. Unger is turning out to be a big loss for Seattle and a huge gain for N.O. Graham is good but Wilson is no Brees. He isn't taking advantage of Graham as effectively.

Picks are valuable but more so for teams at the bottom half.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/...ers-trade-los-angeles-rams-kansas-city-chiefs

The Rams’ Trade for Marcus Peters Does More Than Just Solidify Their Defense
It also gives Los Angeles much-needed cap space and flexibility as the team navigates free agency and Aaron Donald’s looming contract extension
By Riley McAtee

863284764.jpg.0.jpg

Photo by Ezra Shaw/Getty Images

NFL teams aren’t waiting for the draft, free agency, or even the official start of the league year to begin fixing their biggest holes. The Rams entered the offseason needing a new cornerback, as free agent Trumaine Johnson — who was franchise-tagged by Los Angeles in back-to-back years — no longer appears to be part of the team’s future. Johnson’s play slipped some in 2017, and many have speculated that the Rams would draft a corner to replace him in April.

It turns out they didn’t need to wait nearly that long. The Rams have reportedly agreed to send a package of not-yet-revealed draft picks to the Chiefs in exchange for two-time Pro Bowl cornerback Marcus Peters. Though the trade isn’t official until the league year begins on March 14, Peters will be a Ram.

He is an immediate upgrade for the Rams’ secondary. Peters is three years younger than Johnson and graded out higher than him in Pro Football Focus’s ratings in each of the past two seasons. A classic ballhawk in the secondary, Peters recorded 19 interceptions and recovered five fumbles in his first three years in the NFL. And while he has a reputation for occasionally giving up big plays, there’s an argument to be made that he’s the best cornerback in the league.

And Peters gives the Rams more than just on-field talent — he also aides Los Angeles’s cap situation. Johnson earned more than $30 million in his last two seasons on the tag, while Peters will carry just a $1.7 million cap hit for the Rams in 2018. L.A. can also exercise Peters’s fifth-year option in 2019, projected at about $9 million, after which he’ll be set to hit free agency.

Assuming the team lets Johnson walk, Los Angeles will have over $39 million in cap space, a considerable amount of which will likely go toward Defensive Player of the Year Aaron Donald’s massive upcoming contract extension. The franchise may even have enough space to hold on to defensive end Robert Quinn, who carries an $12.4 million cap hit this season and who the Chiefs were reportedly pushing to include in the deal.

With their hole at corner effectively plugged, the Rams can be more flexible in the draft, depending on which picks they sent the Chiefs. Los Angeles owns the 23rd pick this year, but no second-rounder — that pick was sent to Buffalo last year in exchange for Sammy Watkins. They could now go after an offensive lineman, a linebacker, or just the best player available.

Peters, who has a reputation as an unwieldy personality, is not without risk for the Rams. In college, he was booted off his Washington team after feuding with coaches. Last year, he threw a penalty flag into the stands, for which Kansas City suspended him one game.

For the Chiefs, trading away Peters represents their latest move to retool their roster. At the end of January the team traded quarterback Alex Smith to Washington, with second-year pro Patrick Mahomes II set to start under center. The team also announced last week that it won’t re-sign longtime defensive leader Derrick Johnson. That leaves Kansas City relying on a defensive rebuild and an unproven quarterback in 2018.

While the Rams have set themselves up for flexibility this year, the Chiefs have done the same — but for the long term. The Chiefs entered the offseason with little cap flexibility, but managed to get Smith’s contract off the books. (In January, Washington reached a deal with Smith on a four-year, $94 million extension.) And while Peters wouldn’t have hurt the team’s cap in 2018, he’s in line for a monster deal should he keep up his current level of play.

With this deal, the Rams have filled an immediate need on their roster while the Chiefs clearly have their eyes on a long-term vision. For one team this is a relatively win-now move — for another, it’s a sign of a reset.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The Los Angeles Rams just got much better and sometimes teams feel their draft choices are sacred and you need to hold onto them, however, when you can acquire a young premier player at a thin position (Rams thin at CB) you make the deal. Also most likely the Rams would have drafted a CB number 1 and IMO, Marcus is far superior then any CB coming out this year, so WTG Les Snead!

I agree. This trade makes sense in so many ways. Chances are they would use their first pick for a CB. What college CB would be better than Peters? Especially as a rookie? They usually take a couple years. Now they have a legit CB to absorb the loss of TruJo.

Then there is the financial aspect. He'll be a tenth the price of what TruJo has been paid. The cap savings can allow them a lot more flexibility to work on Watkins, Joyner and/or getting the deal done with Donald.