Marcus Peters to the Rams?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/fantasy-football-metrics-that-matter-marcus-peters

Metrics that Matter: How good is Marcus Peters really?
BY SCOTT BARRETT

Friday, the Los Angeles Rams reportedly agreed to terms with the Kansas City Chiefs to acquire 25-year-old cornerback Marcus Peters.

Peters is an interesting cornerback to analyze, because while I do think he’s probably a top-10 talent, he isn’t a cornerback we’ve ever had to fear for DFS. Last season, Peters never shadowed, and rarely ever strayed from his side of the field, spending 94 percent of his snaps lined up at left cornerback.

This made things easier for opposing offensive coordinators who would just move their top receivers around the line of scrimmage to pick on Arizona’s other, more vulnerable cornerbacks. Kansas City gave up the sixth-fewest fantasy points per game to right wide receivers last year (Peters’ side of the field), but the most fantasy points per game to left wide receivers and the third-most to slot wide receivers.

On Twitter, followers began asking me what I thought Peters was worth in terms of draft picks or whether I thought he was an “elite” cornerback. It was hard for me to begin positing an answer, because, really, it’s hard to analyze a cornerback from a quantitative basis. There are countless metrics to use, each with various strengths and flaws, but I thought it’d be most fun if we created our own.

Yards per route run is the most predictive efficiency statistic for wide receivers, so it makes sense it would be about as strong for cornerbacks. However, it fails to incorporate touchdowns or interceptions, which are clearly important events to consider when analyzing cornerback’s game. So, we could look instead at a cornerback’s opposing passer rating, just as we would a quarterback’s passer rating.

However, as I’ve ranted about elsewhere, passer rating overweights and double-counts completions, which have far more to do with depth of target than accuracy. Targets are also in and of themselves a negative indicator of cornerback talent – in all likelihood, the more a cornerback is targeted, the more open a wide receiver is.

So, I wanted a statistic that works on a per-route basis instead of a per-target basis, and that included yards, touchdowns, and interceptions – oh, and also first downs, which are severely underrated in evaluating efficiency.

Basically, what I came up with was something similar to adjusted yards per attempt for quarterbacks, but with a few minor differences.

• It works on a per-route basis rather than a per-target or per-attempt one.
  • It includes and factors in the appropriate valuation of a first down.
  • It adds defensive pass interference yards into total yards allowed.
Here’s the formula:

CB Rating = ([Yards Allowed (including DPI penalty yards)] + [20 * Touchdowns Allowed] – [45 * Interceptions Caught] + [8.7 * First Downs Allowed]) / Routes in Coverage

Looking at all 72 qualifying cornerbacks (to play on at least 850 routes in coverage) over the past three seasons, here are the top-12 cornerbacks by this metric:

Barrett-16-1024x273.png

A few things quickly stand out.

Peters, impressively, ranks third-best by this metric. He also totals the third-most passes defensed over this stretch, which was a statistic I had considered including in our formula. Peters totals 19 interceptions throughout his three-year career, which is the most of any player over this stretch (by five interceptions), but also the fourth-most by any defender since the NFL merger.

Peters also isn’t just a ball-hawk, ranking top-25 yards allowed per target. Still, as good as I think Peters is, I do think it’s a fair knock to critique him for rarely moving away from his side of the field. He typically faces a much softer level of competition than someone like Patrick Peterson, who will routinely shadow the league’s top wide receivers, and he likely statistically benefitted from much worse cornerback play surrounding him.

The Jaguars have our Nos. 1, 2, and 10 cornerbacks by this metric. The 2017 Jaguars ranked seventh-best in opposing passer rating and fifth-best in yards per pass attempt allowed this past decade. Many know how dominant they were, and especially how dominant A.J. Bouye and Jalen Ramsey were, but slot cornerback Aaron Colvin mostly has gone overlooked.

Last season the Jaguars allowed the fewest yards to opposing slot wide receivers, and Colvin was a big reason why, ranking third-best in yards allowed per route from the slot in 2017 (among all 41 cornerbacks to see at least 25 slot targets). Early reports indicate he’s unlikely to be retained by Jacksonville this offseason, but the data suggest he’ll make one team very happy.

Most of the names on this list were hardly surprises, but two caught me off guard: Bobby McCain and Ross Cockrell. McCain has by far the worst TD:INT ratio of the cornerbacks on this list, but managed to make up for it in all other categories. McCain graded out 43rd-highest among all 121 qualifying cornerbacks in coverage in 2017, but graded out poorly in his first two seasons.

For this reason, I’m not sure McCain didn’t just find his way onto this list thanks to small-sample variance. Cockrell too I’m skeptical about, who was traded for a seventh-round pick last summer and served as a backup for most of the season. Still, he probably should have stolen more work from Eli Apple earlier in the year, who ranked eighth-worst of 86 qualifying cornerbacks in opposing passer rating over this sample.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Then there is the financial aspect. He'll be a tenth the price of what TruJo has been paid. The cap savings can allow them a lot more flexibility to work on Watkins, Joyner and/or getting the deal done with Donald.

Add to that IMHO, Johnson was not a premier CB, yes he was taller than most and made some plays,but was not a legit shut down corner. If Peters can focus his energy in the right direction and lead the Ram defense to the promise land, signing him long term might be part of the equitation as well.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
After reading many posts and articles, then letting my thoughts kinda percolate, I have a few thoughts.

Yeah, Snead is The Man when it comes to bold offseason moves. Goff, Whit, Watkins, and now Peters. I love that “No guts, no glory” attitude in Snead.

Pending the compensation involved, I rate this as a very good to brilliant move designed to take us a giant step closer to the Promised Land. We’ve already been assured that this year’s 1st is not involved, so I think we’re leaning more toward the brilliant side.

Yeah, Peters has had hothead issues. Issues that burned his bridges with the Chiefs and must be corrected with the Rams. But I give the Rams credit for presumably having had a conversation with the young man to determine his willingness to correct himself. Plus a ton of probable background information was probably secured before pulling the trigger on this trade.

I think that the Rams are more than capable of helping this young man. Coaches like McVay, Wade, and Aubrey Pleasant for starters. And respected players to show the proper way and even take him aside, if necessary. On D alone there’s AD, Brockers, Ogletree, and Joyner. On O there’s Goff, Gurley, Big Whit, Sully, Saffold, Woods, Watkins(I think), and Kupp. Heck, the whole locker room is about “we, not me”, a perfect environment for Peters if he’s at all willing to assimilate.

So, that was the potential downside. What about the upside? Where to start?

Peters is young, healthy, and verrrrry inexpensive for 2 years. We save $15 million on the cap vs TruJo’s salary last year, for example.

Peters is elite. A clear upgrade to TruJo. Can play any scheme Wade desires.

Peters virtually takes away half the field from the opposing QB. That’s beyond huge. If we can get a competent CB for the other side then Wade has his dream secondary, a cornerstone of a top Wade D. Just imagine Peters, NRC, Joyner, and JJ plus X outside opposite Peters. Damn!

As others have said, this move shouts out that the Rams are shooting for the SB and that they think that they are within sniffing distance of it. What a great feeling that is.

I expect another possible bold move before the draft is over. Might be a player trade, a FA, or a surprise move within the draft. It just seems to be in Snead’s DNA. We’re off to a great start already and another great offseason like last year should put us into the thick of the deep playoffs.

Kudos to Snead and the Rams on this Peters trade.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
For this reason, I’m not sure McCain didn’t just find his way onto this list thanks to small-sample variance. Cockrell too I’m skeptical about, who was traded for a seventh-round pick last summer and served as a backup for most of the season. Still, he probably should have stolen more work from Eli Apple earlier in the year, who ranked eighth-worst of 86 qualifying cornerbacks in opposing passer rating over this sample.

FWIW's Tom Brady and the Patriots beat McCain like a rented goalie....He played off his WR and let them drive down the field throughout the game.

jap

Legend
I expect another possible bold move before the draft is over. Might be a player trade, a FA, or a surprise move within the draft. It just seems to be in Snead’s DNA. We’re off to a great start already and another great offseason like last year should put us into the thick of the deep playoffs.

Kudos to Snead and the Rams on this Peters trade.

Les: "Another bold move? Just one more?"

SonOfBum: "We're just getting warmed up, Big Guy!" :sneaky::LOL::santa:

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Can I now say that we have a
Top 5 CB?

This trade was great for Us, peters is back home and on a young team with alot of star power . If they can keep NRC, and Joyner this secondary becomes elite.

Who looks more like a walrus Andy Reid or mike Holmgren?

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Trumaine Johnson must feel terrible right now. I don't care how much money he wanted, I'm sure he would have liked to remain a Ram. Oh well. I guess he had his chances. This is what I despise about free agency.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
IF, " BIG IF!" the Rams Keep Tru, Will Tru work a Deal with Peters for Jersey #22!?!:D

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Tavon Austin ? Andy likes those types of scat backs ? Heard they might like him , but not at that price.

—Sucks Tru is going to be gone when he is coming into his prime.

— getting Peters though is extremely exciting!! Dude can flat out ball.

—Isn’t Peters The Beast Modes nephew ? That was why he got kicked out for running onto the field ?

Pleasant is going to be in this Cats Head. He really is a hands on coach. Always talking & teaching.

Troy Hill really stepped up last year, & Hatfield & Kevin Petterson are nice young prospects.Webster doesn’t have to rush back, & by playoff time the unit will be set.

Never wanted to think The Rams could trade for Peters.I was last year thinking how good Peters would fit. He plays serious man coverage. He also brings that fire attitude.Plays a different style than Tru.
It would be nice if tavon was included .that would be a fast offense . I like Tru but we've gotten significantly better for significantly less money so I'll take it . I like the idea of keeping hill as a third guy and adding a promising corner in the draft or FA .elite defensive backs are kinda like the new pass rush right ? Back in the day it was "pressure the QB to stop the offense". Now just blanketing all the receivers may be the best option lol .

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I was just on their board. Can you believe some of those knuckleheads believe that they haven’t announced compensation yet because Aaron Donald may be part of the trade because of last years holdout? LMFAO
Lmao!!! It's probably a stage of grief .denial I believe? Lololol I don't blame them .they're gonna meltdown if it turns out to be a couple of thirds or something

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Can I now say that we have a
Top 5 CB?

This trade was great for Us, peters is back home and on a young team with alot of star power . If they can keep NRC, and Joyner this secondary becomes elite.

Who looks more like a walrus Andy Reid or mike Holmgren?
Yes you can .and another of Wade's old buddies (who is also arguably a top 5-10 corner) may be available soon

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
IF, " BIG IF!" the Rams Keep Tru, Will Tru work a Deal with Peters for Jersey #22!?!:D
I think Tru is good enough that he wouldn't give the Jersey up .besides, if he's resigned it'll be for crazy money .What could Peters pay him to give it up? Lol

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
It just seems odd to leak this almost 3 weeks before FA begins with no guarantee that KC wont back out, and with the rumor of no 1st round pick, I find it hard to believe there's not more interest. Makes me wonder if a player is part of the trade. Tavon? I like TA but if it means we keep our 1st then I'm doing that trade, especially with the contract savings and cooper showing he's a better returner.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
He doesn't look too depressed in the pic below posted earlier in this thread. Being a multi-millionaire will do that for you.

Oh he's bummin. You can have that car in any city but when you're the toast of the town in LA very few cities compare. The rams are going to be one of the most fun teams to play on with the coaching staff, playoff and Superbowl wins, and a new all-world stadium. Since the rams are a Superbowl contender and wont offer him what he wants, Tru can't use the reasoning of accepting less for a chance at a ring on another team, meaning the only road for him is to go to the highest bidder. Hello Cleveland!! Haha, wouldnt that just be too funny. I thought about the niners but again I don't see them paying that kind of money when they can have their pick of CB in the draft. He may make 10 or 15% more somewhere else but he might be giving up a lot of playoff victories and the celebrity life style, which he seems to enjoy, in the entertainment capital of the world. The beaches dont suck either.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It just seems odd to leak this almost 3 weeks before FA begins with no guarantee that KC wont back out, .

Being that the deal will be announced on the 14th of March does not have me worried, now, if it was the 15th, well, beware of the ides of March.

jacktheripper85

Starter
Lmao!!! It's probably a stage of grief .denial I believe? Lololol I don't blame them .they're gonna meltdown if it turns out to be a couple of thirds or something

I get the feeling they are confusing getting Aaron Donald with maybe getting Ronald McDonald.

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I get the feeling they are confusing getting Aaron Donald with maybe getting Ronald McDonald.

The AD thing is hilarious. Besides too much obvious stuff to mention, the better player is always the trade headline. Yeah, there's going to be some pissed off peeps in KC