Longest-tenured Ram Rodger Saffold on upcoming free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Saffold is gone.

Has a team ever received four 3rd round comp picks in one season before? If we focus on released players and trades, it could happen.

Ram65

Legend
I think Saffold is gone.

Has a team ever received four 3rd round comp picks in one season before? If we focus on released players and trades, it could happen.

I'm starting to shift to the dark side of Rams not matching offers on Saffold. They could be happy with Noteboom and put the money elsewhere. They do have a lot of needs.

Who are the four 3rd round comp picks for?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm starting to shift to the dark side of Rams not matching offers on Saffold. They could be happy with Noteboom and put the money elsewhere. They do have a lot of needs.

Who are the four 3rd round comp picks for?
*shrugs. Saffold is a brawler with technique and with great feet. Noteboom seems to be a guy that is able to direct the DE away from the QB, but is no mauler. If we roll with Boom at LG, I'll cheer for him, but I think it's a massive fail if we let Saffold go. As I've said before, re-signing Rodger Saffold is more important than Whit returning, to me.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Who is the four 3rd round comp picks for?
I would guess that the four UFA's {Saffold/ Suh/ Fowler/ Joyner} would be prospective candidates for consideration in Awarded Comp selections next year in February. All four stand to sign major contracts.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would guess that the four UFA's {Saffold/ Suh/ Fowler/ Joyner} would be prospective candidates for consideration in Awarded Comp selections next year in February. All four stand to sign major contracts.

Yep.

Saffold would definitely net one (otherwise the offer would be low enough we would match). I'm thinking same for Fowler.

Suh is probably the lock of the group to get enough for us to get a 3rd.

Joyner is the wildcard. There are so many safeties hitting the market and some good ones in the draft that he'll probably be overpaid, but maybe only at $8-$9 million a year, which we will most likely offset with some low level FA signings (assuming we sign a few that weren't released and were actually FAs).

Ram65

Legend
*shrugs. Saffold is a brawler with technique and with great feet. Noteboom seems to be a guy that is able to direct the DE away from the QB, but is no mauler. If we roll with Boom at LG, I'll cheer for him, but I think it's a massive fail if we let Saffold go. As I've said before, re-signing Rodger Saffold is more important than Whit returning, to me.

I hear you Loyal. Rams O Line needs all the muscle they can get. Maybe, Noteboom got stronger in the Rams weight room. I would rather have Saffold. Money is the big factor letting Saffold go. Still a long way to opening game. Let's see what happens. This is a big test to see if the Rams can create a winning team year in and year out. It's not just Saffold but replacing a lot of players from last year.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I hear you Loyal. Rams O Line needs all the muscle they can get. Maybe, Noteboom got stronger in the Rams weight room. I would rather have Saffold. Money is the big factor letting Saffold go. Still a long way to opening game. Let's see what happens. This is a big test to see if the Rams can create a winning team year in and year out. It's not just Saffold but replacing a lot of players from last year.
I feel so strongly about him, I would consider him to be the most important signing of the offseason, regardless of other positions. Our Oline and offense will be weaker without him.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Seen a report that zietles from Cleveland was available for trade. He is one of the better guards in the leauge and would be an upgrade .

I still would like to keep saffold. He has played well and would be even better if the team upgraded at center

nighttrain

Legend
i'm thnkin the Rams,Snead and Demoff, would be crazy to let Saffold walk if they can keep him and still come in under salary cap
train

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Seen a report that zietles from Cleveland was available for trade. He is one of the better guards in the leauge and would be an upgrade .

I still would like to keep saffold. He has played well and would be even better if the team upgraded at center
It’s just my opinion, but everyone always agrees with me, that Zietler isn’t an upgrade over Saffold. He might be his equal but that’s about it. As Saffold too is one of the better guards in the league.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Against Da Bears The Rams only had Allen & Noteboom as backups. Both played a series.
Noteboom played for Saffold & did ok.
Allen the same for Sullivan.,

I do not like Austin Blythe at guard as a starter.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
*time to open the wallet, Les & Kevin. Saffold will be good longer than that...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Rested, tanned, and ready"~ The Donut Brothers (Timmerman & McCollum)

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I would not mind seeing the Rams pay him for three years around 10 million a year with an incentive clause for number of games played making up an extra one or two million a season. He is also the one free agent I want to see come back to the Rams if possible.

Ram65

Legend

Things have change with the much higher guaranteed money over past few years. The $46.5M 4 year deal sounds right and isn't to steep for Saffold. The risk of the $28.5 is questionable when you consider all the other big deals with high guarantees and Goff's deal coming up. They have a lower risk and less costly option in Noteboom.

What the Rams do here will be very telling about how they try to continue their recent winning ways. Simply put they can't pay every above average player. Letting Saffold go would show they are comfortable playing their young talent where and when they need to.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Saffold has already spent plenty of time on struggling offensive lines, so I think he's likely to remain in a situation where he can continue to be successful regardless of where he plays.

So, yes ... there is a chance!

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Who knows how this is gonna end? I think it literally could go either way.

From Saffold’s pov:

Saffold would prefer to remain a Ram, all things being equal. And we just saw powerful evidence that the Rams are an attractive destination for incoming FA’s.

Especially “senior” FA’s such as Saffold who get light practice schedules from the Ram coaches to protect their bodies.

So I think it will come down to whether other teams will offer Saffold crazy money on his 3rd contract, something not normally done anymore. If he gets an offer for $2M more than the Rams can offer, he’s probably gone. If the Rams can offer something around a million less than the others, I think he stays.

From Rams pov:

Saffold is an elite LG and will likely remain one for another 3 or more years. Such players are rarely allowed to walk.

The Rams are fully aware of how attractive they are to incoming FA’s and will justifiably take full advantage. I mean, we just saw how quickly Weddle signed even though he had 11 offers in hand. Weddle made darned sure to see the Rams first.

If Saffold leaves, yeah, the Rams could plug Boom in at LG since Whit is staying for ‘19. But 2 questions arise if they go that route. First, Will Boom be as effective in ‘19 as Saffold would have been? I doubt it. Second, Boom is penciled in for LOT next year, so who plays LG in ‘20? Losing Saffold causes a chain reaction that forces Snead to make contingency plans that I’m sure he would prefer not to have to make.

Lastly, an outstanding OL is the very foundation of any McVay O. I would hope that Saffold could be extended and make many other OL moves and decisions unnecessary. Starting with using a premium draft pick on an OG when the Rams need 2 edge players and a DL in a draft that is loaded with just that. Sigh...

This Saffold negotiation is some high stakes poker. Hopefully both parties can agree on a number that keeps both sides happy.

dang

Legend
At this point in his career it’s all about the guaranteed $$$$. I believe the Rams can be competitive matching guaranteed $$$$. It just may have to be spread out a little differently to lessen the impact on the cap.