Longest-tenured Ram Rodger Saffold on upcoming free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Who knows how this is gonna end? I think it literally could go either way.

From Saffold’s pov:

Saffold would prefer to remain a Ram, all things being equal. And we just saw powerful evidence that the Rams are an attractive destination for incoming FA’s.

Especially “senior” FA’s such as Saffold who get light practice schedules from the Ram coaches to protect their bodies.

So I think it will come down to whether other teams will offer Saffold crazy money on his 3rd contract, something not normally done anymore. If he gets an offer for $2M more than the Rams can offer, he’s probably gone. If the Rams can offer something around a million less than the others, I think he stays.

From Rams pov:

Saffold is an elite LG and will likely remain one for another 3 or more years. Such players are rarely allowed to walk.

The Rams are fully aware of how attractive they are to incoming FA’s and will justifiably take full advantage. I mean, we just saw how quickly Weddle signed even though he had 11 offers in hand. Weddle made darned sure to see the Rams first.

If Saffold leaves, yeah, the Rams could plug Boom in at LG since Whit is staying for ‘19. But 2 questions arise if they go that route. First, Will Boom be as effective in ‘19 as Saffold would have been? I doubt it. Second, Boom is penciled in for LOT next year, so who plays LG in ‘20? Losing Saffold causes a chain reaction that forces Snead to make contingency plans that I’m sure he would prefer not to have to make.

Lastly, an outstanding OL is the very foundation of any McVay O. I would hope that Saffold could be extended and make many other OL moves and decisions unnecessary. Starting with using a premium draft pick on an OG when the Rams need 2 edge players and a DL in a draft that is loaded with just that. Sigh...

This Saffold negotiation is some high stakes poker. Hopefully both parties can agree on a number that keeps both sides happy.
I would bet that more than half the NFL teams are seriously looking hard @ signing Saffold.

There are so many skills that RS would bring to the locker room & the playing field. Just fresh off an NFC championship & playing in the SB. True leadership mentality. Blessed with great versatility to start & play four NFL OL positions. Has starting experience in class outside run scheme or the power run scheme. The super perfect designed & well conditioned physical specimen of a modern NFL OG @ the age of 30. A Family man with a truly great character coming from a from a strong family & on & on & on. This UFA OG brings the full package!

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
I would bet that more than half the NFL teams are seriously looking hard @ signing Saffold.

There are so many skills that RS would bring to the locker room & the playing field. Just fresh off an NFC championship & playing in the SB. True leadership mentality. Blessed with great versatility to start & play four NFL OL positions. Has starting experience in class outside run scheme or the power run scheme. The super perfect designed & well conditioned physical specimen of a modern NFL OG @ the age of 30. A Family man with a truly great character coming from a from a strong family & on & on & on. This UFA OG brings the full package!

This. Also, the Rams have been remarkably healthy in recent years on the o-line. How soon we forget the days of Long, Wells, and company. Offensive line depth is so important. Saffold can play multiple positions and has plenty of gas left in the tank. At the risk of jinxing it, he also appears to have put his health issues behind him. O-line is probably the most important offensive position after QB. For the Rams, I would say even more so, as Goff's weakness still seems to be he struggles with pressure more than most. Saffold plays multiple levels at an elite level, knows the system, has chemistry with Whitworth already on the left side. Based on everything he has said, he would sign as long as the offer is reasonable with what the market would pay, so it won't take a bank-breaking deal to keep him. We have to sign him IMO. Period.

I'd go so far as cutting Brockers if necessary - he was mediocre last year anyway, getting older, and there are lots of good defensive players to choose from this draft. And I am *not* a proponent of losing Brockers.

Rams43

Hall of Fame

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Didn’t Saffold already state that he wants to stay with the Rams? After all of the years losing, he finally has a good thing going. He loves his teammates, has a great coach and assistants. I think he’d take a little less to stay a Ram.

This is a non story, until something other than what Roger said, happens.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
I feel like Blythe is going to end up at C, and I think having some quality depth is critical as well--so we can ill afford to let Saff go. I think he's the one potential personnel loss we have to avoid.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I feel like Blythe is going to end up at C, and I think having some quality depth is critical as well--so we can ill afford to let Saff go. I think he's the one potential personnel loss we have to avoid.

Yeah, I feel that our offseason will be considerably less tricky if Saffold is extended.

Elite players still in their prime, healthy, with zero off field issues don’t grow on trees.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Don’t know about Blythe at center, as I personally feel Brian Allen will get the start with Noteboom at RG, and Blythe as backup again. But I do agree about Saffold, especially after Whitworth does retire. We’ll need Saffold’s experience, considering how young the rest of the Oline will be.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
He is the one free agent I hope the Rams retain, I'm okay with Shu, Fowler, and Joyner moving on.

…..

Legend
You mean the one Bonifay posted on FEBRUARY EIGHTH, OldSchool?

The one that has had no replies since last Thursday because it has grown stale? THAT one?

I thought my OP brought fresh viewpoints and was worthy of it’s own thread.

Obviously, you felt differently. Sigh...
Don’t sweat it...you just ran into the self appointed sheriff. Best to ignore...It happens bro.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
You mean the one Bonifay posted on FEBRUARY EIGHTH, OldSchool?

The one that has had no replies since last Thursday because it has grown stale? THAT one?

I thought my OP brought fresh viewpoints and was worthy of it’s own thread.

Obviously, you felt differently. Sigh...
Or you could add your “fresh” take to the existing thread and put it back up on the front page. I see somewhat older threads make it back to the front from people doing exactly that. We encourage members to use the search function so we DON’T have a bunch of threads on the same subject and also so that threads are not cast aside because a new one on the same subject popped up because someone didn’t bother to look.

This place is about discussion - not who can get eyeballs on their take by posting a thread on a subject already being discussed.

I’m not trying to get on you for posting a new thread on the subject really. It’s more that you shouldn’t get all defensive because someone suggests that there is already a thread on the subject.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don’t sweat it...you just ran into the self appointed sheriff. Best to ignore...It happens bro.
Or like 503 and the mods always say it's better to have all members discussing a subject in one thread instead of spreading it out over multiple threads. Kind of sad that instead of acknowledging it's good to have and continue a group discussion you and he took offense.

…..

Legend
Or like 503 and the mods always say it's better to have all members discussing a subject in one thread instead of spreading it out over multiple threads. Kind of sad that instead of acknowledging it's good to have and continue a group discussion you and he took offense.

Easy tiger, don’t get so full of yourself.

Not offended here. I’m accustomed to you so I expect that sorta thing from you. I’m not sure he did either, his response was pretty diplomatic.

Way to help keep the landscape clean around here, great job! (y)

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Saffold is likely gone.

By now you have to think the Rams have made an offer and Saffold has turned it down. If he hits FA, a team will overpay him - so if he was staying for a discount, I think he already would have signed.

And really he should leave. This is his last contract more than likely - if I were him I'd go to the highest bidder.

dang

Legend
...and back to our regularly scheduled program...

The only way someone would want to play for a team like the Jets is the $$$$ was WAY too good to pass up - and you have given up hope of hitching a ride to a Super Bowl caliber team. Teams like the Jets can throw bad money after good at Saffold. Their may offer a contract to Saffold that blows away the competition in the per season $$$$ but is conservative on the guaranteed $$$$ (e.g. 3 years/$14m annual/$28m guaranteed).

I believe Saffold is sincere in that he would like to continue playing with the Rams...so if the Rams were to give him a longer contract with more guaranteed $$$ but keep the annual cap hit reasonable (e.g. 5 years/$9m annual/$30m guaranteed) then perhaps they have a chance to retain a very important piece to their OL for at least the next 3 years.

Thoughts?

Ram65

Legend
Originally posted he and applies to Saffold.

https://ramsondemand.com/threads/impending-free-agents-cuts.57512/page-20

https://www.therams.com/news/the-le...ill-help-clarify-market-for-rams-in-free-agen

The “legal tampering” period in NFL will help clarify market for Rams in free agency

When free agency opens on March 13 at 1 p.m. PT, we’ll probably already have a decent idea of where some of the top players on the open market are going to sign.

That’s in large part because of the so-called “legal tampering” period that exists for teams and agents starting on March 11.

Per the NFL rules, “Clubs are permitted to contact, and enter into contract negotiations with, the certified agents of players who will become Unrestricted Free Agents upon the expiration of their 2018 player contracts at 4:00 p.m., New York time, on March 13.”

So while the teams and players cannot have any direct contact until free agency opens, their agents can still negotiate for them. That means for any of the Rams’ upcoming unrestricted free agents, Los Angeles will get a much clearer picture for what it may take to retain their services.

“[W]hat we have found too, in the past, is sometimes it’s really good for a player to — even if we want a player and they want to be here — to go test the market at least in that 48-to-72-hour window and get a feel for their reality,” general manager Les Snead said at the Combine. “That way they’re not guessing, we’re not guessing, and you get a true sense of what the market is instead of speculation.”

That could be a big deal for players like left guard Rodger Saffold, safety Lamarcus Joyner, outside linebacker Dante Fowler, and defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh, who each may have robust markets for their services in 2019 and beyond.

Snead used the example of wide receiver Sammy Watkins from last year to illustrate how this period can clarify things for both the club and player.

“We let Sammy Watkins go test the market, and really, that’s the best thing about the 72-hour window,” Snead said. “Last year with Sammy, hey, his asking price became too steep for us, so we decided to let him move on. So with that, how do we react after that? OK, we lost Trumaine and Sammy. If we’re disciplined in free agency, we could probably recoup two third-rounders. Oh by the way, though, we did lose a nice offensive weapon, so how are we going to solve that? Then, here’s what might be available in the draft. Then you go, OK, we’ve got a really good offense, so do we want to add a young guy in there or do we want to get a proven guy? But we’d still like a young guy, so then you start looking at who might be available. I think when you do this, you’ve got to have contingency plans. You’ve got to walk through the scenarios and then execute those scenarios.”

The Rams were able to do that by adding wide receiver Brandin Cooks via trade, and then extending him on a long-term deal — effectively making things work out for all parties involved.

So as the Rams continue to sort out free agency, look for early next week to be a significant checkpoint in Los Angeles’ endeavors to both sign its own players, and possibly start to go after new ones.

Ram65

Legend
Saffold is likely gone.

By now you have to think the Rams have made an offer and Saffold has turned it down. If he hits FA, a team will overpay him - so if he was staying for a discount, I think he already would have signed.

And really he should leave. This is his last contract more than likely - if I were him I'd go to the highest bidder.

Please read the article above.

Lot's of ways to look at the Saffold situation. I'm starting to think the Rams let Saffold get offers that they really don't intend to match. It's a nice look to say they wanted him back but, he cost too much. I didn't think they wanted Watkins back last year. Saffold is different in that they would like him back but, have an alternative plan (Noteboom) that is better overall in terms of cap/value. If by chance Saffold gets low balled the Rams can still come in a make a deal. I think the Rams save face and let Saffold go.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Please read the article above.

Lot's of ways to look at the Saffold situation. I'm starting to think the Rams let Saffold get offers that they really don't intend to match. It's a nice look to say they wanted him back but, he cost too much. I didn't think they wanted Watkins back last year. Saffold is different in that they would like him back but, have an alternative plan (Noteboom) that is better overall in terms of cap/value. If by chance Saffold gets low balled the Rams can still come in a make a deal. I think the Rams save face and let Saffold go.
Good Sunday afternoon Ram65. Maybe you can have a deeper discussion with me on this?;)

I am not as certain as most everyone else is that LT Joe Noteboom is a sure instant insertion into the Saffold vacancy LG post.... & that move is the best decision. I would agree that Noteboom is most likely the best OL'er to play the LG post @ this time but does it really fix the OL problems in 2019?

Once you move your only reserve swing OT (on the roster) to a starting OG post....the OL issues are resolved to move on right ??? :cautious:

Okay who's is the OL'er who will fill a game day reserve LT or swing OT for the oldest starting LT in the NFL...would, not Noteboom be involved heavy once again & even more so in the 2019 Keep Whitworth Alive Plan to keep him fresh & rested @ LT.

Do the Rams just go outside & pluck an LT off one of the Thousand Oaks trees at their training facility? Could be a much bigger problem finding a reserve LT than finding a new starting LG somewhere else. Rams got very lucky with Joe Noteboom. Use him to plug an OG hole now you have another hole that may be just as important to fill & may be harder to accomplish than most think.

Would the Rams go into the 2019 season with a plan to deal with an injury to Whitworth where you would remove your starting LG & insert him @ LT then insert a new LG thus having a starting OL with two new players @ new positions?

Ram65

Legend
Good Sunday afternoon Ram65. Maybe you can have a deeper discussion with me on this?;)

I am not as certain as most everyone else is that LT Joe Noteboom is a sure instant insertion into the Saffold vacancy LG post.... & that move is the best decision. I would agree that Noteboom is most likely the best OL'er to play the LG post @ this time but does it really fix the OL problems in 2019?

Once you move your only reserve swing OT (on the roster) to a starting OG post....the OL issues are resolved to move on right ??? :cautious:

Okay who's is the OL'er who will fill a game day reserve LT or swing OT for the oldest starting LT in the NFL...would, not Noteboom be involved heavy once again & even more so in the 2019 Keep Whitworth Alive Plan to keep him fresh & rested @ LT.

Do the Rams just go outside & pluck an LT off one of the Thousand Oaks trees at their training facility? Could be a much bigger problem finding a reserve LT than finding a new starting LG somewhere else. Rams got very lucky with Joe Noteboom. Use him to plug an OG hole now you have another hole that may be just as important to fill & may be harder to accomplish than most think.

Would the Rams go into the 2019 season with a plan to deal with an injury to Whitworth where you would remove your starting LG & insert him @ LT then insert a new LG thus having a starting OL with two new players @ new positions?

Good afternoon Boni.

I certainly don't have all the answers to the future of the Rams offensive line moves. I do think the Rams have to be ready to keep moving forward with replacements weather it be do to retirement, free agency/cost, age or play. Looking at the big picture of the Rams roster and cap situation over the next couple of years the Rams have some big money going out to Goff, Donald and Gurely. Saving money by not resigning Saffold seems like the smart move when they have a cheap asset in Noteboom to replace him.

At this time I expect the Rams would move Noteboom over to LT should Whitworth go down. I would like to see some one compete with Blythe at RG. Looks like Allen gets first crack at OC. Having some competition at RG could result in Bythe being the backup OG/OC. The Rams need to keep bringing in offensive line every year. I'm not sure what they have after last years starters minus Sully and Noteboom.