Longest-tenured Ram Rodger Saffold on upcoming free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Good Sunday afternoon Ram65. Maybe you can have a deeper discussion with me on this?;)

I am not as certain as most everyone else is that LT Joe Noteboom is a sure instant insertion into the Saffold vacancy LG post.... & that move is the best decision. I would agree that Noteboom is most likely the best OL'er to play the LG post @ this time but does it really fix the OL problems in 2019?

Once you move your only reserve swing OT (on the roster) to a starting OG post....the OL issues are resolved to move on right ??? :cautious:

Okay who's is the OL'er who will fill a game day reserve LT or swing OT for the oldest starting LT in the NFL...would, not Noteboom be involved heavy once again & even more so in the 2019 Keep Whitworth Alive Plan to keep him fresh & rested @ LT.

Do the Rams just go outside & pluck an LT off one of the Thousand Oaks trees at their training facility? Could be a much bigger problem finding a reserve LT than finding a new starting LG somewhere else. Rams got very lucky with Joe Noteboom. Use him to plug an OG hole now you have another hole that may be just as important to fill & may be harder to accomplish than most think.

Would the Rams go into the 2019 season with a plan to deal with an injury to Whitworth where you would remove your starting LG & insert him @ LT then insert a new LG thus having a starting OL with two new players @ new positions?

Point taken, Bonifay.

If Saffold walks and Boom is inserted at LG, then the ripple effects begin and they could continue for a few years.

Saffold is an elite LG. Such players are retained by good organizations. I strongly favor extending him if he remains at all affordable.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
...and back to our regularly scheduled program...

The only way someone would want to play for a team like the Jets is the $$$$ was WAY too good to pass up - and you have given up hope of hitching a ride to a Super Bowl caliber team. Teams like the Jets can throw bad money after good at Saffold. Their may offer a contract to Saffold that blows away the competition in the per season $$$$ but is conservative on the guaranteed $$$$ (e.g. 3 years/$14m annual/$28m guaranteed).

I believe Saffold is sincere in that he would like to continue playing with the Rams...so if the Rams were to give him a longer contract with more guaranteed $$$ but keep the annual cap hit reasonable (e.g. 5 years/$9m annual/$30m guaranteed) then perhaps they have a chance to retain a very important piece to their OL for at least the next 3 years.

Thoughts?

Very good catch on the “guaranteed” angle, dang.

Hopefully, that could do the trick.

dang

Legend
So whats the Rams price break point for solidying the Rams OL left side for the next 3 years (1 year with Whit at LT followed by Note) - assuming Saffold will play at High level for at least the next 3 years. $9M/year, $10M/year, $12M/Year?

I'd love to have Whit/Saffold/Allen/Note/Hav next year followed by Note/Saffold/Allen/2019 Draft Pcik/Hav the following year. Thoughts?

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If Roger's going to come back it has to be very soon that he agrees with the Rams (if he hasn't already). Once those offers start rollin in... The bigger guaranteed money and security plus he might get some from contenders, that is going to equal a rethinking of his desire to stay with the Rams.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
The "Ripple Effect" has already started with the departure of John Sullivan. Is Allen ready? He needed to get stronger and put on some weight. I hope he worked with Ted Rath all off-season. If Saffold leaves, the only thing that stays the same on the OL is the bookend T's and maybe RG Blythe.

I sure hope they keep Saffold. He's a top notch G.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
The "Ripple Effect" has already started with the departure of John Sullivan. Is Allen ready? He needed to get stronger and put on some weight. I hope he worked with Ted Rath all off-season. If Saffold leaves, the only thing that stays the same on the OL is the bookend T's and maybe RG Blythe.

I sure hope they keep Saffold. He's a top notch G.
LOL what offseason?? hoping they're working out through the summer. But yeah, agree on the ripple effect, especially w/ Sully leaving & Fowler being re-signed. Getting Saffold to re-sign would be a fantastic offseason. I'm fully confident that either we get Groy, or we move Blythe over & start Noteboom at either RG, or LG (with Saffold moving over -- he's played RG in a pinch). Boom at LG would give him time to work next to Whit before he retires.

Last edited:

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I don't like moving guys around on the OL. :dizzy: If they re-sign Saffold the only diffierence from the last two seasons is center. :help:

KEEP THE CONTINUITY.:football:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
"Joey....i can remember a time when there was no news until news actually happened. You see, we didn't have a culture built around followers, likes, hits and hot takes that allow the guy next door to say anything on the internet and millions of other people on the internet will believe it's real news."
airplane-jpg.jpeg

"Oh and Joey.....[av]http://www.moviewavs.com/0053148414/MP3S/Movies/Airplane/ap5.mp3[/av]

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I don't like moving guys around on the OL. :dizzy: If they re-sign Saffold the only diffierence from the last two seasons is center. :help:

KEEP THE CONTINUITY.:football:
I would agree with you, but I would like to look deeper.

As we know sometimes it has to take place. Last season Kromer, you & I know, was faced with a move @ RG before the regular season began. Jamon Brown who opened the 2015 season as a rookie starter @ OG then again when Kromer arrived in 2017 @ OG again. Kromer made a decision to go with back up center dinky Austin Blythe that was not happily embraced early. Most members wanted OT Noteboom. Was Kromer right?

Blythe took over @ RG & he finished the season ranked 10th among all starting guards in the NFL by PFF. Blythe enjoyed a fine regular season in which he didn't give up a single sack while playing more than 1,100 offensive snaps until his worse gm came in the SB. The middle of December of 2018 Blythe was one of the best stories in the NFL & @ that time Blythe was running neck & neck with all pro-RG Brandon Brooks as the 3rd rated OG in the NFC. Blythe finished the 2018 season with a rating of 71.1 overall grade.

UFA Rodger Saffold finished the season with an overall grade of 73.2. Saffold started 9 NFL season PFF rated Saffold 2017 season better than 2018. Blythe has only one season as a starter. So this move proved positive???

It's possible that the Rams INTERIOR OL may undergo 3 changes/moves before the regular season begins due to ever-changing NFL world. Rams fans will be in for some more surprises I am sure.

Last edited:

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
It's possible that the Rams INTERIOR OL may undergo 3 changes/moves before the regular season begins due to ever-changing NFL world. Rams fans will be in for some more surprises I am sure.
But I don’t like changes unless I agree to the changes.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Let’s say @BonifayRam is right and we do lose Saffold, can anyone explain to me why the Rams would value Fowler more than Saffold? Saffold has proven his worth to the team, Fowler hasn’t. Fowler is easier to replace, especially in the draft. Saffold would have a contract of 3-4 years, while Fowler’s is only 1 year. Would someone please make sense of this for me?:thinking:

Last edited:

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let’s say @BonifayRam is right and we do lose Saffold, can anyone explain to me why the Rams would value Fowler more than Saffold? Saffold has proven his worth to the team, Fowler hasn’t. Fowler is easier to replace, especially in the draft. Saffold would have a contract of 3-4 years, while Fowler’s is only 1 year. Would someone please make since of this for me?:thinking:
it will never make sense. Spend the d@mn money, Rams. Saffold should retire a Ram.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It's not about Saff vs Fowler. It's about how close the Rams can afford to get to the expected signing range of each.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let’s say @BonifayRam is right and we do lose Saffold, can anyone explain to me why the Rams would value Fowler more than Saffold? Saffold has proven his worth to the team, Fowler hasn’t. Fowler is easier to replace, especially in the draft. Saffold would have a contract of 3-4 years, while Fowler’s is only 1 year. Would someone please make since of this for me?:thinking:

Noteboom is ready to start.

Can we say the same about a backup OLB?

That's why. Plus, Saffold is approaching the point to where he is past his prime - Fowler hasn't even entered his yet. I get that Fowler's deal is one year, but if blows up we have the space to franchise him or even sign him long term next year.