Longest-tenured Ram Rodger Saffold on upcoming free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
There's only one issue....taxes. The CA state income tax for him is 13% When viewed in the context of a $30M or more salary, that's a hell of a lot of nice sunny vacations that can be taken after retirement if he plays in a state that has low or no state income tax. So as an example, a Rams offer of $30M is not equivalent to a (worst case) Seahawks offer of $30M. WA has no state income tax. In this situation, Rodger would be giving a "home town discount" for what on the surface appears to be an equivalent offer.

What about climate tax? It's not always sunny in Seattle.:(

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think noteboom starts at LG this year and the oline doesn't drop off. I do wonder though, if that makes it more likely that sully stays...............
Not so sure about that....I do know that we will know about Sully here in a few Days....Saturday, March 2nd is the date set deadline to exercise the 2019 option. I believe John Sullivan is done as an effective starter in this offense. Paying him over $6.25 million to be the backup center is very UNwise. Kromer has been using Austin Blythe & Brian Allen @ center with first team OL in practice a ton last season. Either of these youngsters can be inserted into the starting OL & we will see improvement there.

If Kromer goes with thick low cut Allen he still has Aaron Neary who is entering his 3rd season as a Ram, ready for back up duties. If Kromer goes with Blythe then his options @ RG are better. Besides 2nd yr OL Brian Allen Kromer also has Darrell Williams RT/RG who is entering his 3rd NFL season & has started in college @ RG. Then there OG/OT Jamil Demby who was drafted in the 6th round last draft. So there is some depth here that's been here working with Kromer.
Actually, if roger walks, how about moving brockers inside with Meyers outside,
If the 2019 season began today Brockers will start @ NT. I would bet if he remains a Ram he will be our starting NT this upcoming season. Snead will draft an NT & we will see a couple of veterans signed too. JFM has a very good chance to start @ the 5 tech post back up by Morgan Fox.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
What about climate tax? It's not always sunny in Seattle.:(

I'm sure you're just talking in jest but nonetheless....Can't stand the rain then instead he can pick a team in any other of a number of states that have no state income tax. TX comes to mind as does FL and TN.

For the millions being talked about, I'm sure he could stand lousy weather for 3 years. I withstood it for nearly 8 before moving to LA for obviously a lot less!

As an aside....If Gov Moonbeam Jr gets his way with Single Payer Healthcare, several non-partisan economic experts are predicting the CA state income tax rate will climb to upwards of 20%-25%. If that happens, I know we're outta here and I'll once again root for the Rams from afar. I can't imagine what a tax like that would do to sports franchises' ability to recruit free agents.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/11077/jason-kelce

There has been much speculation that the 30 yr old Rodger Saffold would not get a sizeable offer 3 yr contract due to his age.

Well 31-year-old Kelce of the Eagles just gave him a pay raise to stay around, with his now $11 million annually making him the highest paid center in the league. Kelce was already under contract the next two seasons taking him . He will be 34 yrs old when he hits free agency meanwhile being paid $11 million a season.

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/11077/jason-kelce

There has been much speculation that the 30 yr old Rodger Saffold would not get a sizeable offer 3 yr contract due to his age.

Well 31-year-old Kelce of the Eagles just gave him a pay raise to stay around, with his now $11 million annually making him the highest paid center in the league. Kelce was already under contract the next two seasons taking him . He will be 34 yrs old when he hits free agency meanwhile being paid $11 million a season.

I think the question has been how sizable of a contract will Saffold get. Not will he get a sizable offer. Since the Rams elected to redo the younger Rob Havenstein's contract last year Saffold will get paid very well this year as a free agent. I thought they could had Saffold cheaper had they made the deal then instead of letting hit the open market. IIRC I was thinking 9 Million a year or so as he gets more security.

Wow Kelce had two more years remaining on his contract. Some talks of retirement and he got a one year extension. Had a similar deal to Saffold's average pay. Looks like the Eagles paid for stability and rewarded Kelce for two all pro seasons.

Hard to tell what Saffold gets from Kelce's deal. OG are paid more but, Kelce is considered the best. Saffold is a top 10 OG rated 9 in the article Kelce's 11 Million was my last number on Saffold as the early article in this thread that estimated his new deal around 10.66 Million.

As this agonizing time before free agency begins Rams haven't tipped their had on any so to be free agents except saying Suh will test the market but, could still match any offers. So the questions remain on Rodger Saffold.

How big a deal does he get?

Is it in the 10.5-11.5 Million range?

Is it 13-14 Million range?

Would the Rams match/come close to the 10-11.5 million offer?

Would Rams let Saffold go at 13-14 Million range?

This why the NFL doesn't have an off season. We all like to play General Manager and make predictions. Weather they be our choices or what the Rams real General manager should decide on who to resign, let go, draft, trade and pick up as free agents.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think the question has been how sizable of a contract will Saffold get. Not will he get a sizable offer. Since the Rams elected to redo the younger Rob Havenstein's contract last year Saffold will get paid very well this year as a free agent. I thought they could had Saffold cheaper had they made the deal then instead of letting hit the open market. IIRC I was thinking 9 Million a year or so as he gets more security.
You're so correct on this. In hindsight it appears that your suggestion would have been a very smart move. Getting both Havenstein & Saffold done would have been a brilliant brain trust maneuver by Demoff.:sadwalk:

Ram65

Legend
You're so correct on this. In hindsight it appears that your suggestion would have been a very smart move. Getting both Havenstein & Saffold done would have been a brilliant brain trust maneuver by Demoff.:sadwalk:

The Rams decided to spend money on Suh, Gurley and Havenstein. They didn't have enough cap space to redo Saffold too. I wish we knew what they were and are thinking about Saffold. Right now we know the starting tackles are Whitford and Havenstein and that's all. The rest are still to be determined. Hopefully, I'll feel better when we know what the plan is.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Not so sure about that....I do know that we will know about Sully here in a few Days....Saturday, March 2nd is the date set deadline to exercise the 2019 option. I believe John Sullivan is done as an effective starter in this offense. Paying him over $6.25 million to be the backup center is very UNwise. Kromer has been using Austin Blythe & Brian Allen @ center with first team OL in practice a ton last season. Either of these youngsters can be inserted into the starting OL & we will see improvement there.

If Kromer goes with thick low cut Allen he still has Aaron Neary who is entering his 3rd season as a Ram, ready for back up duties. If Kromer goes with Blythe then his options @ RG are better. Besides 2nd yr OL Brian Allen Kromer also has Darrell Williams RT/RG who is entering his 3rd NFL season & has started in college @ RG. Then there OG/OT Jamil Demby who was drafted in the 6th round last draft. So there is some depth here that's been here working with Kromer.
If the 2019 season began today Brockers will start @ NT. I would bet if he remains a Ram he will be our starting NT this upcoming season. Snead will draft an NT & we will see a couple of veterans signed too. JFM has a very good chance to start @ the 5 tech post back up by Morgan Fox.

Darrell Williams??? Really???

Ram65

Legend

Interesting. It's going to cost them more now. They gave Gurley a lot of guaranteed money with knee injury history. Looking forward to seeing what Saffold gets.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
I think Roger Saffold has to be a least franchised, & let Kromer(The Rams) develop there Offensive Lineman.

The bookends will be set & maybe give Jamil Demby & Allen time to develop .

—Crazy to think Darrell Williams is still on the roster. I’ve been a big fan of his & watched just about every snap he took.IMHO he is solid & think he had(played through)a leg injury.

There is no way I think he is a Tackle vs a guard ??? Truth though is if push comes to shove I’d go with Williams at LT for Whitworth during practice & Noteboom starting at RG next season.
I’m not the biggest fan of Allen, so I’d have Blythe as the backup G/C.. I do still think there is better options, but I do believe in development & teaching in witch both Kromer & McVay pride themselves in !!!

—Still find it hard to believe guys out of the league can comeback like that ? The Rams just have there rights ?? Can they play in the new league?? Brandon Allen & Mike Thomas are still on the roster ??

Last edited:

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think Roger Saffold has to be a least franchised, & let Kromer(The Rams) develop there Offensive Lineman.

His franchise tag would be just over $14 million. They aren't going to give him that much. They have too many other places to spend the money - over the cap shows their cap space before cutting or restructuring anybody at a bit over $22 million, with still only 48 signed (so about $21 million. They aren't going to use 2/3 of that for Saffold.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

The bookends will be set & maybe give Jamil Demby & Allen time to develop .

—Crazy to think Darrell Williams is still on the roster. I’ve been a big fan of his & watched just about every snap he took.IMHO he is solid & think he had(played through)a leg injury.

There is no way I think he is a Tackle vs a guard ??? Truth though is if push comes to shove I’d go with Williams at LT for Whitworth during practice & Noteboom starting at RG next season.
I’m not the biggest fan of Allen, so I’d have Blythe as the backup G/C.. I do still think there is better options, but I do believe in development & teaching in witch both Kromer & McVay pride themselves in !!!

—Still find it hard to believe guys out of the league can comeback like that ? The Rams just have there rights ?? Can they play in the new league?? Brandon Allen & Mike Thomas are still on the roster ??
Spotrac have the Rams top 51 player set @ $22,876,386 available in cap space figuring in the new revised draft pool cap costs. Franchise Tags for OL'ers is set @ $14.067 million.:shocking: Snead has said that the Rams do not plan to use the franchise tag. Of all the Rams starting UFA's it's edge rusher Dante Fowler Jr. whom they desire most to return.

Kromer was given 3 new 2018 drafted OL'ers to develop early last season. Snead used his top 2 draft picks on Kromers OL. In addtion Snead used a 6th rd for another OT/OG that's 3 (Noteboom/ Allen/ Demby). In addition & @ the same time Kromer had been developing two WWC's since 2017 OC/OG Austin Blythe (drafted in 2016 & now a starter) & OC/OG Aaron Neary (UDFA 2016-(Broncos/ Eagles/ Rams). Later in 2018 Snead found Kromer two other WWC's OT's Kyle Murphy (drafted in 2016 Packers 3 yrs started several gms) & Darrell Williams Jr. (UDFA 2017-{9ers/Rams} So Kromer currently has SIX (6) reserves most of which have been under development for way over a year by him going into FA'cy.

Rams have had two different OL'ers with the same name Darrell Williams. The first one came in back in 2015 with OL coach Boudreau. This DW was a UDFA from South Florida who signed with Fisher/ He played both OT positions. He started 1 game & played in 21 games as a reserve during his tour as a Ram. This DW was released on 8/31/2018.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...geles-rams-roster-preview-rt-darrell-williams

The present 2019 Darrell Williams Jr.is a right side OL'er who has starts @ RT & RG in college. He is a 6-6/310-315 pounder who played his college ball @ Western Ky. He has 37 consecutive starts @ RT & RG for the Hilltoppers. He was signed by the 9ers as a UDFA & was on the active playing roster in 2017. he played 7 games for the 9ers in 2017. Two yrs back in April of 2017 new OL coach Kromer brought this former Hilltopper in for private workouts;). A month later he signed with the 9ers. In 2018 early in the season when the injuries hit the 9ers they were forced to release him after the regular 2018 season began on 9/19/2018. Kromer finally got his Hilltopper signed as a Ram the same day to the PS unit. DW is presently under contract thru the 2020 season. DW will be an RFA in 2021.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/darrell-williams-17313/
https://ramsondemand.com/threads/impending-free-agents-cuts.57512/page-6#post-1186861
https://ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-o-line-is-the-best-and-its-not-close.55776/#post-1116012

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Like I've mentioned before in other threads, it's simply not smart to give a lineman over thirty with a history of injuries a long-term deal. Two years is the absolute most I'd go.

He does come with risk but his health the last couple seasons has been very good so I don't think that's going to factor in to the offers he gets. If he gets to the FA period he's probably gone because he will be the most coveted option.

Whit factors in here too IMO. If the Rams, like myself, think it's possible that Whit might play for a couple years still, then they could adjust his cap hit with an extension and maybe be able to afford Saff. But for now it does look like Saff's going to hit FA.

I'm starting to think the Rams will approach things with a youth movement up front. The young guys are inexpensive, the Rams hit on two OL midrounds last year who will factor in, and this draft is very deep in terms of interior OL. Plus they have one of the best OL coaches in the league in terms of teaching, and a scheme that is known to allow for midrounds type and smaller OL who don't project as well to the power schemes.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Spotrac have the Rams top 51 player set @ $22,876,386 available in cap space figuring in the new revised draft pool cap costs. Franchise Tags for OL'ers is set @ $14.067 million.:shocking: Snead has said that the Rams do not plan to use the franchise tag. Of all the Rams starting UFA's it's edge rusher Dante Fowler Jr. whom they desire most to return.

Kromer was given 3 new 2018 drafted OL'ers to develop early last season. Snead used his top 2 draft picks on Kromers OL. In addtion Snead used a 6th rd for another OT/OG that's 3 (Noteboom/ Allen/ Demby). In addition & @ the same time Kromer had been developing two WWC's since 2017 OC/OG Austin Blythe (drafted in 2016 & now a starter) & OC/OG Aaron Neary (UDFA 2016-(Broncos/ Eagles/ Rams). Later in 2018 Snead found Kromer two other WWC's OT's Kyle Murphy (drafted in 2016 Packers 3 yrs started several gms) & Darrell Williams Jr. (UDFA 2017-{9ers/Rams} So Kromer currently has SIX (6) reserves most of which have been under development for way over a year by him going into FA'cy.

Rams have had two different OL'ers with the same name Darrell Williams. The first one came in back in 2015 with OL coach Boudreau. This DW was a UDFA from South Florida who signed with Fisher/ He played both OT positions. He started 1 game & played in 21 games as a reserve during his tour as a Ram. This DW was released on 8/31/2018.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2018/...geles-rams-roster-preview-rt-darrell-williams

The present 2019 Darrell Williams Jr.is a right side OL'er who has starts @ RT & RG in college. He is a 6-6/310-315 pounder who played his college ball @ Western Ky. He has 37 consecutive starts @ RT & RG for the Hilltoppers. He was signed by the 9ers as a UDFA & was on the active playing roster in 2017. he played 7 games for the 9ers in 2017. Two yrs back in April of 2017 new OL coach Kromer brought this former Hilltopper in for private workouts;). A month later he signed with the 9ers. In 2018 early in the season when the injuries hit the 9ers they were forced to release him after the regular 2018 season began on 9/19/2018. Kromer finally got his Hilltopper signed as a Ram the same day to the PS unit. DW is presently under contract thru the 2020 season. DW will be an RFA in 2021.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/darrell-williams-17313/
https://ramsondemand.com/threads/impending-free-agents-cuts.57512/page-6#post-1186861
https://ramsondemand.com/threads/rams-o-line-is-the-best-and-its-not-close.55776/#post-1116012

Thanks so much for the update. This makes a lot of sense. Kromer has a good eye for certain players.

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Rams opened up 13 million in cap space today with the releases of Sullivan and Barron. Certainly in the ballpark to resign Saffold, but how long of the contract do the Rams want to give him, and how long of a contract does Saffold get on the open market. We are talking millions of dollars.

dang

Legend
Saffold will be 31 when the 2019 season starts. That should probably keep any team from offering him major $$$ for more than a 3 year contract. Perhaps the Rams can offer him a longer contract with more guaranteed $$$ but spread out over a longer period of time to keep the cap hit lower. At his age Saffold should be most interested in the guaranteed $$$ vs annual salary. So hypothetically if Rams offered him a 4 year/$36m contract with $24m guaranteed. That should be more enticing than a 3 year/$36m contract with $20m guaranteed.