Longest-tenured Ram Rodger Saffold on upcoming free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Like I've mentioned before in other threads, it's simply not smart to give a lineman over thirty with a history of injuries a long-term deal. Two years is the absolute most I'd go.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Like I've mentioned before in other threads, it's simply not smart to give a lineman over thirty with a history of injuries a long-term deal. Two years is the absolute most I'd go.
Generally I would agree with you but Saffold hasn’t been injury prone in the last two years. Not saying he played every down in every game as he hasn’t, but that would be true of almost every single starting lineman. His main injury concerns was his loose shoulders, which they have now been tightened by surgery, and since then has had no problems, as his shoulders are better than when he first came into the league. He is considered by most analysts to be one of if not best guards in free agency. If they thought he was injury prone that wouldn’t be the case.

dang

Legend
At least one of those years will be beside Andrew Whitworth - forming arguably the best left side of any OL in the NFL. I think Sullivan is gone this year, Whit next year and Saffold after 3 (hopefully signed to a 3 yr contract) - so there is inevitable turnover of the OL but over a 3 year period vs all at once.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Saffold was getting hurt playing LT, where he tended to lunge over his feet & over-reach on speed rushing DE's & OLB's. He's much healthier playing in a booth & pulling guard. With Boom being Whit's back-up at LT, I'd be fine extending Roger multiple years - just keep him away from the ends.

MadGoat

Mathematically alive
The Texans have a lot of cap room, want to win now, and also have a QB on a cheap rookie deal. Their line is in horrible shape and I'd expect them to overpay more than anyone else.

I think the Rams chances of re-signing Saffold hinge on his desire to see things through in L.A. If it's about the money, I'm guessing the Texans will be his next home.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I expect the Rams to make an effort to keep Saffold. It may not be enough, but at least it should raise his price a bit and thus the comp pick return. The Rams need to draft another OL this year regardless, and possibly sign an inexpensive but versatile vet. It hasn't hurt them - yet - but their depth on the line is poor. It's been disguised thanks to the good health these past two years on the OL. That is unlikely to last.

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
My view on Saffold & Sullivan is franchise Saffold & bring back Sullivan.This way Whitworth gets to go out with his running mates. Then look to sign Saffold the following
Year if it makes sense ?

My point as well is it gives The Rams more time to develop or find there replacements
& build on the foundation.

If The Rams can franchise a guy like Joyner, Saffold the oldest tenure Ram is a no brainer.

I remember all the times The Rams franchised Orlando Pace only to cut him & owe him money in the end.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
As far as Saffold's injury concerns, he's missed two games over the past 3 years and one was when the starters were held out week 17 in 2017. Wasn't it around 3 years ago he was moved from tackle to guard? I don't know if that has anything to do with it but he hasn't had injury concerns for a while now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
https://ramblinfan.com/2019/02/28/los-angeles-rams-justin-houston-trade-makes-sense-reasons/

Los Angeles Rams unlikely to re-sign Rodger Saffold after nine seasons

Ever since the conclusion of Super Bowl 53, one of the biggest questions surrounding the Los Angeles Rams has been what the team would decide to do with Rodger Saffold on the offensive line.

Despite spending the last nine year with the Rams, there was some speculation that Saffold had played his final game with the team in the Super Bowl loss to the New England Patriots since as much as they would prefer to have him back, money sometimes comes into play.

It’s not that Los Angeles wouldn’t prefer to keep him around for another season to increase their chances of earning another trip to the Super Bowl, but deep down, the team knew the cost to keep him around may be too expensive.

Turns out, this appears to be exactly the case as Matt Verderame from FanSided reported on Thursday how it’s unlikely that Saffold returns to the team, meaning it looks like the Indiana product is set to hit the open market in free agency.

View: https://twitter.com/MattVerderame/status/1101118187679203328

Hearing this news will be a tough pill for some Rams fans to swallow after looking at how much Saffold has done for the offense over the years, both good and bad.

Two years ago, Los Angeles was viewed as a team with a horrendous offensive line before Sean McVay came on board to make the necessary adjustments to provide better protection for Jared Goff, and Saffold certainly deserves credit for contributing to the turnaround.

Now, the next question becomes which teams will express interest in Saffold now that his time with the Rams appears to be over since there are plenty of offenses across the league that would love to have him present on their offensive line.

These kinds of moves are never easy in the NFL since there was some hope that Los Angeles and Saffold would be able to work out some sort of discounted deal to keep him around, but on a positive note, at least there will be plenty of candidates to help replace the guard.

Knowing McVay, the Rams head coach has been preparing for this possibility with Saffold for weeks, and already has a few candidates in mind to make sure Los Angeles continues to be in the best shape possible for another Super Bowl run.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
From a no name “reporter” at a trash click bait site.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
Saffold was getting hurt until he had both shoulders repaired. Since that time he’s been pretty durable.

It’d be a shame to see him go. He’s always seemed like a good team guy that works hard and does his job.

If they do let him walk, it makes me again wonder about letting Brown go. Seems like poor planning.

dang

Legend
I believe the Rams are going to let all of their FAs test the market. They will not overpay for any of them. These FAs know what a great opportunity it is to play for the Rams and I believe each would prefer to continue to play for the Rams. The question is what will the market bear for them and will it overshadow what the Rams have to offer (winning team, great coaches, sunny southern cali, new stadium, endorsement opportunities, etc.).

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
Suspect Saffold is looking for a 4th year, Rams may want to only go 3 years. Guaranteed money is always a sticking point too. He is the top LG available, will likely get what he is looking for. We are talking about millions of dollars too.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saffold is my top Ram UFA to resign by a far margin......however the Rams OL does have some less damaging salary cap options here without Saffold. The loss of RS is a very big blow here but signing up a 31 yr old OG for over $10 mil a season for 3 or 4 yrs would cause future cap issues.

Kromer is a very good OL coach who will have this Rams 2019 OL ready to be successful without RS. Not saying it will be better but the Rams will do fine.

Last edited:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
I think noteboom starts at LG this year and the oline doesn't drop off. I do wonder though, if that makes it more likely that sully stays.

The would-be money for Roger, Barron, Joyner and suh can buy us a kick ass defense. I'd even think abiut moving brockers to the middle with Meyers outside. Get earl Thomas and the best edge rusher fit in FA, which may or may not be Fowler. Then draft a Clemson tackle or edge rusher furgusen.

Actually, if roger walks, how about moving brockers inside with Meyers outside, get earl thomas and trade for von miller. Wow. That would cost about 28 mil but we'd spend about that on Fowler Barron and joyners replacement.

I think miller and Thomas will still be playing at an elite level for at least 2 or 3 more seasons so we can draft a replacement for one or both over the next couple years.

Can you imagine Donald miller thomas talib brockers plus all the younger talented players like Johnson peters Littleton and Meyers? Man, wed be the talk of the off season again but more importantly we'd have a better defense.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My view on Saffold & Sullivan is franchise Saffold & bring back Sullivan.This way Whitworth gets to go out with his running mates. Then look to sign Saffold the following
Year if it makes sense ?

My point as well is it gives The Rams more time to develop or find there replacements
& build on the foundation.

If The Rams can franchise a guy like Joyner, Saffold the oldest tenure Ram is a no brainer.

I remember all the times The Rams franchised Orlando Pace only to cut him & owe him money in the end.

The franchise tag for OL is expected to be over $15 million. They aren't going to more than double his cap hit. I could see a three year contract for around $30 million with a good signing bonus - but he almost certainly can do more on the open market. We'll see what offers he gets.

Ram65

Legend
Saffold is the key to the off season moves. Rams can still be a contender without Roger. They will have to scramble some to make the offensive line work. If it's Noteboom at LG they will need to find a swing OT. They need to add depth. Sullivan or Allen is the next question?

Psycho_X

Legend
Like I said in Whitworth thread earlier this week, if Whit retired they’d play Noteboom at LT and resign Saffold. But if Whit stays they can’t afford a huge contract to Saffold, and he will get paid big, so Noteboom will play lg for a year while they groom a couple rookies to play there the year after with Noteboom moving to LT after Whit does retire. It’s too easy of a decision with Noteboom looking good last year. Got to let your cheap youth play when you have them over expensive vets so you can pay positions that don’t have that.

96GS#007

Pro Bowler
I believe the Rams are going to let all of their FAs test the market. They will not overpay for any of them. These FAs know what a great opportunity it is to play for the Rams and I believe each would prefer to continue to play for the Rams. The question is what will the market bear for them and will it overshadow what the Rams have to offer (winning team, great coaches, sunny southern cali, new stadium, endorsement opportunities, etc.).

There's only one issue....taxes. The CA state income tax for him is 13% When viewed in the context of a $30M or more salary, that's a hell of a lot of nice sunny vacations that can be taken after retirement if he plays in a state that has low or no state income tax. So as an example, a Rams offer of $30M is not equivalent to a (worst case) Seahawks offer of $30M. WA has no state income tax. In this situation, Rodger would be giving a "home town discount" for what on the surface appears to be an equivalent offer.