Longest-tenured Ram Rodger Saffold on upcoming free agency

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rodger Saffold 2019 NFL Free Agent Profile
ByDavid Latham, Editon February 13, 2019

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2019/02/13/rodger-saffold-2019-nfl-free-agent-profile/

ATLANTA, GA - FEBRUARY 03: Rodger Saffold #76 of the Los Angeles Rams jumps into the field prior the star of the Super Bowl LIII against the New England Patriots at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on February 3, 2019 in Atlanta, Georgia. (Photo by Jamie Squire/Getty Images)
One of the best interior linemen of 2018 is about to see yet another big payday. Los Angeles Rams left guard Rodger Saffold played out his five-year contract and is set to hit the open market. Saffold, entering his age 31 season, was one of the best guards in football over the past few seasons. While he’s no spring chicken, Saffold should have a few years left in him to play at a near-elite level.

2019 NFL Free Agent Profile: Rodger Saffold
Saffold spent the 2019 season as a key piece of arguably the best offensive line in football. Playing in all 16 regular season games and three postseason contests, Saffold was a key presence in both the run and the passing game. The Los Angeles Rams finished 2018 as Football Outsiders’ top-ranked run blocking line and the sixth-best pass blocking line. Saffold himself was a key reason for these high rankings, finishing the year as the ninth-ranked guard in football, per Pro Football Focus.

This wasn’t a one-year fluke, as Saffold has remained one of the best guards in football over the past few years. Additionally, Saffold has positional versatility, capable of playing all across the line. Interestingly enough, the 6’5”, 323-pound lineman actually entered the league as a left tackle. While he’s clearly better at guard, his ability to line up at multiple position will only help his market. It’s hard to find good offensive lineman, but Saffold is one of the best and should have a massive market in 2019.

Possible Fits
If the Los Angeles Rams have their way, Saffold will remain in LA for the foreseeable future. The Rams had perhaps the best rushing attack in football throughout the season, and it would’ve been hard to pull that off without Saffold. Even when superstar running back Todd Gurley went down, journeyman C.J. Anderson seamlessly filled the void. That’s a testament to a fantastic offensive line, and losing Saffold would dramatically hurt the run game.

In spite of their wild spending over the 2018 off-season, the Los Angeles Rams actually have a pretty favorable cap situation. The Rams enter 2019 with $32,441,386 in cap space, 15th-most in the league. Los Angeles is clearly trying to capitalize on quarterback Jared Goff’s rookie deal, so they should be seen as the favorites to sign Saffold.

If Saffold makes it to the open market, look for teams like the Arizona Cardinals and Houston Texans to do everything in their power to bring Saffold aboard. Both teams have abhorrent offensive lines, with Houston’s ranked dead last by Football Outsiders. Josh Rosen looked bad in 2019 but was in a completely unwinnable situation. Giving him an actual offensive line is the only way to evaluate whether or not he’s the future. The Texans, meanwhile, know they have their quarterback of the future in Deshaun Watson. Houston needs to get somebody to protect him, as Watson took a league-leading 62 sacks in 2019.

The Texans and Cardinals both have the cap space to make this signing possible, but they won’t be the only two teams in the running. The Minnesota Vikings, for instance, have a great overall roster with a gaping hole at the guard position. Minnesota only has $5.8 million in available cap space, so they’d need to make a few moves to sign Saffold.

Last Word on Rodger Saffold in Free Agency
Rodger Saffold was one of the best guards in football throughout 2018 and should turn his strong play into a hefty paycheck. Saffold finished the year as the ninth-ranked guard in football and was a key reason the Rams finished the season with the top-ranked run blocking offensive line. Players like him don’t reach the market very often, and strong offensive line play is always in demand.

It’s more than likely that the Rams won’t let Saffold leave Los Angeles. Saffold has remained with the Rams franchise since being drafted back in 2010, and Los Angeles knows just how good he is. Given $32.5 million dollars in cap space, the Rams could easily sign Saffold without having any longterm financial repercussions. Los Angeles is clearly in win-now mode, and signing Saffold makes the Rams a better team.

If Saffold makes it to the open market, look for the Houston Texans and Arizona Cardinals to be two of the top teams in the chase for his services. Both teams have ample cap space and a franchise quarterback they need to protect. The jury is still out on Josh Rosen, but nobody will be able to accurately evaluate him until he’s given something to work with. Additionally, a team like the Minnesota Vikings could make a play, although they’d need to clear up some cap space to make a signing possible.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
re-signing Rodger Saffold has to be one of our biggest priorities of the off season. Considering Noteboom's apparent maturation and ability to step in for Whit this season with no drop off, getting Saffold back is even more important than getting Whit back (want both). I want Saffold more than Suh, Brockers, Fowler, or Joyner...

Ram65

Legend
Well for comparison purposes Norwell signed a $13.3M on the open market, and Martin is the highest paid interior OL at $14M. Saff is over 30 but among the best in the game at his position (better than Norwell not as good as Martin IMO), so he's going to be in that range if he hits the market.

I don't see these numbers for a 31 year old.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Barring an unforseen injury, do you really think Saffold's play will drop off any (if at all) during the new contract period? I know I don't. So if not, why should he be worth less money?

Ram65

Legend
https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2019/02/13/nfl-rams-free-agency-rodger-saffold-contract-analysis/
By: Cameron DaSilva | 3 hours ago

Three of the Los Angeles Rams’ four biggest free agents are on the defensive side of the ball with Ndamukong Suh, Dante Fowler Jr. and Lamarcus Joyner set to hit the market. The biggest offensive player with an expiring contract is Rodger Saffold, though.

He’s the longest-tenured Rams player and finally reached the playoffs for the first time in 2017, winning his first postseason game this year. He would like to return to Los Angeles, but it’ll take a reasonable offer to make that happen.

Ideally, the Rams will get a deal done before he hits free agency in March, preventing him from fielding offers around the NFL. After first breaking down Suh, we now take a look at Saffold’s pending free agency.

• 2018 stats: 16 games, 1 sack allowed, 6 penalties (54 yards)
  • Pro Football Focus grade: 72.8 (No. 9 guard)
Analysis
Prior to 2016, Saffold didn’t exactly have a set position. From 2013-16, he played every position on the offensive line except center before eventually landing at left guard. He’s improved each of the past few years, becoming one of the best guards in the NFL. He was a second-team All-Pro in 2017, thriving next to Andrew Whitworth and John Sullivan. This past season, he didn’t receive All-Pro honors, but he was still outstanding for the Rams.

He missed just 32 snaps all year and while his penalty total was up from two in 2017 to six this past season, he only allowed a single sack – the same number he allowed two seasons ago. As good as he was in pass protection, he was even better as a run blocker.

Email
Like this article?
Sign up for the Rams Wire email newsletter to get our top stories in your inbox every morning

Saffold is a powerful blocker and has the athleticism to both pull and kick out to the second level. Just take a look at this combo block on a screen pass, driving the defender backward and eventually to the ground.

Geoff Schwartz

✔@geoffschwartz

Disrespectful Blocks of the Week is here and it’s glorious. Just watch Rodger Saffold celebrate after the first block. it’s awesome. A great block should get you fired up.

2:11 PM - Sep 27, 2018

97 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

He’s a huge part of the Rams’ offensive line, which was named the best in the NFL this past season.

Positional need: Medium
The Rams have Jamil Demby, who they drafted, cut and re-signed last year, but he’d be a downgrade from Saffold. Keeping the offensive intact will be critical for the success of L.A. and it’s not certain that both Whitworth and Sullivan will return. Either player could retire and if the Rams want to save some money, they may release Sullivan.

Demby is a former sixth-round pick and the Rams clearly think highly enough of him to sign him off the Lions’ practice squad and put him on the 53-man roster for the playoff run, but there’s no guarantee he’ll be a quality starter in the NFL.

The Rams need to make Saffold a high priority because they don’t have a surefire backup. What they do have, fortunately, is a strong line around him, lessening the burden if he leaves.

Prediction: Signs three-year, $32M extension with Rams
Ultimately, I think Saffold will be back in 2019 and beyond. He’s expressed a desire to return, saying after the season ended that “I don’t think it’s any surprise that I want to be back.” The Rams clearly want him to return considering the way he’s played and his connection to the franchise, making this a perfect match for the foreseeable future.

It will come down to money, though, because the NFL is a business and Saffold said he wants to take care of himself and his family. He’s 30 going on 31, and looking at the deal T.J. Lang got in 2017 at the age of 29, it’s reasonable to expect Saffold will get something similar. Lang signed a three-year, $28.5 million deal with the Lions two years ago, but with the salary cap rising, Saffold should get a little bit more.

Signing a three-year contract will allow him to possibly finish his career in L.A., or hit free agency one last time at the age of 34.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's number 10.66 per year is a little higher than I thought. TJ Lang has been hurt played 6 games this year. Seems like 30-32 Mil a year would be where he sits. So 10 to 10.66 per year.

Ram65

Legend
Barring an unforseen injury, do you really think Saffold's play will drop off any (if at all) during the new contract period? I know I don't. So if not, why should he be worth less money?

See above post. Every time Saffold's contract comes up I say at 31 he is going to be paid like a 25-26 year old. Much more risk for teams. Just like Rams went after Woods/Cooks/Peters the guys that are 24-26 get the really big deals.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

We'll see. If the Rams agree with you I think there's a good chance Roger leaves in FA.

It will come down to money, though, because the NFL is a business and Saffold said he wants to take care of himself and his family. He’s 30 going on 31, and looking at the deal T.J. Lang got in 2017 at the age of 29, it’s reasonable to expect Saffold will get something similar. Lang signed a three-year, $28.5 million deal with the Lions two years ago, but with the salary cap rising, Saffold should get a little bit more.

If the Rams ink him for $10M I'll be shocked. And happy. But comparing him to Lang is pretty funny IMO. Roger is better (elite run blocker who can play in a zone or power scheme, and a near-elite pass blocker), and he's the belle of this FA ball.

Rams need to lock him up quickly if they're going to keep him. IMO.

Ram65

Legend
We'll see. If the Rams agree with you I think there's a good chance Roger leaves in FA.

If the Rams ink him for $10M I'll be shocked. And happy. But comparing him to Lang is pretty funny IMO. Roger is better (elite run blocker who can play in a zone or power scheme, and a near-elite pass blocker), and he's the belle of this FA ball.

Rams need to lock him up quickly if they're going to keep him. IMO.

Well for comparison purposes Norwell signed a $13.3M on the open market, and Martin is the highest paid interior OL at $14M. Saff is over 30 but among the best in the game at his position (better than Norwell not as good as Martin IMO), so he's going to be in that range if he hits the market.

What would a "hometown discount" be for Saff? Uh, I don't know but I'd guess he's going to cost us around $13M per year and the discount will be a shorter term deal than what he'd get on the market (i.e. with less guaranteed money).

You are saying 13 Million while the article is guessing 10.66. Over a three year deal that is 39 Mil to 32 Mil. There are teams with lots of money so you never know. Martins contract has no dead money at 32 years old. Hard to pay 13 Million at his age. We will see. I think the Rams have a good shot at keeping him under 11 Million.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
If the Rams had to what would it cost them to place the Franchise tag or transition tag on him? I really feel like Saffold and Fowler are the 2 most important FAs for the Rams to retain.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
If the Rams had to what would it cost them to place the Franchise tag or transition tag on him? I really feel like Saffold and Fowler are the 2 most important FAs for the Rams to retain.
Non-exclusive franchise tag projected for Offensive line – $14 million.

Saffold is very important to the Rams MVP Goff on this team. Someone please tell me a more vital to the Rams UFA @ this time......:bueller:.

This is my position today...where will this position be if we find out on March 14th that Saffold has signed elsewhere & LT Whitworth has retired thus leaving us the poor performing & fading fast John Sullivan to lead this OL & fill their voids?

Two open OL vacancies & one weakening center that needs to be replaced is not the way you want to enter the 2019 season. When Goff is molested & battered by the defense pass rush ...the Rams usually don't win. That scenario will be very hard & costly in the long run to overcome .....:death:

I would suggest that we make decisions to prevent such a scenario situation like that in 2019.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Sometimes the most important free agent signing is one of your own. That is the case with Saffold. He really needs to be retained. The way the defense played down the stretch is encouraging. But you need offense to win in the regular season. This team got there with the offense. Keep it stacked I say. The Rams have probably the best set of skill position players in Gurley/Cooks/Kupp/Woods. And maybe Everett sees a bigger role. You don't want the line to take a step back and offset that.

jap

Legend
Jared and the Gurley Express! need Beetlejuice!

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We've heard this from Rodger but it's nice to keep on hearing it. Just hope that he and his agents are able to work out a fair deal. Also the Cards can GSO.

https://cardswire.usatoday.com/2019...etown-discount/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

The Arizona Cardinals need to upgrade the offensive line this offseason. It is one of the team’s priorities. One potential target could be Los Angeles Rams guard Rodger Saffold, who will hit free agency next month.

Arizona Sports 98.7 FM’s John Gambadoro expects Saffold to be on the Cardinals’ radar and it makes sense. He plays left guard, a position of concern for Arizona. He has played at a high level and the Cardinals know him well from his nine years with the Rams.

While he is one of the top linemen that could be available, it might be hard to get him away from the Rams. He is willing to take less money to stay where he is.

“You want to be paid fairly,” Saffold said, according to ESPN’s Lindsay Thiry. “But I think the culture and the team that I’m around is worth just as much as the extra money that I could get from going somewhere else.

“That’s just with getting older and understanding what I’m around. I want to be successful for years to come, and I think in order to do that — I’ve been with this team for so long already, it’s like why start changing now that it’s good.”

It would appear that Saffold will stay with the Rams if they give him a reasonable offer. Of course, if he has not signed an extension before free agency begins and another team comes along and offers him big money, it will be hard to turn down.

If free agency begins and the Rams have not locked him up, Arizona might just be that team.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hopefully they sign him before other teams can start throwing offers to overpay him at him.

If he gets offered too much, then so long as Whit returns they can give Noteboom a season at LG.

They would probably need to sign a vet though, to make sure that there is a backup at OL - the Rams had a top line, but not much depth beyond Noteboom. Sign a vet, and draft a guy to replace Noteboom for future depth.

Saffold will take a lot of the Rams' cap space, but probably is the most important UFA.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Really hope they get Saff done. I'm just mentally prepared for him to walk, unfortunately. Got my fingers crossed. (y)

wild ram

Rookie
Name
Erick
Should be no prob with 2 guys of 5 being paid on a playoff caliber OL. So the Rams will almost surely attempt to bring Saff back and he and Havenstein will be those two.

Prob there is Big Whit needs to take a club friendly extension that reduces his $15M cap hit. Which I hope is something he will consider. At this point I believe that will happen.

IMO Sully will move on and Allen will win the job and play great ball at center for us even if they bring in competition.
I think it is a package deal for The Big 3 !!
They are a type group & Whitworth wants to end his career with these guys & make one last run at it. Gives The Rams time to develop there depth.
I think Noteboom has a chance to start at RG ?

pmil66

Starter
Name
pmil
TJ Lang received 3/28.5, 19 was guaranteed. Saffold would want a bit more, salary cap has risen and the taxes in California are a bit higher too. Noteboom sure looks like a nice replacement, Rams could draft a LT, let him get all the practice reps behind Whitworth, now that he is returning. Would like to see Boom start next year, he needs to play.