Kyren Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Appeared to me that Akers spent most of his time rushing to the left, behind our two least experienced OL, and they have both been better at pass-pro than run blocking up to now. Get Akers some receptions to break up the pattern, and design some better, more effective plays around his abilities.
jmo.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Maybe both. Williams did much better with the same line.
When Williams had people in his face in the backfield he did the same thing, was tackled for a loss.

First drive when Akers had decent blocking he had a good run. When they ran the pitch for a TD it was well blocked snd he strolled in.

Most of the okays Williams made gains on were against a light box. Not the same thing.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Rams need to look at how he lines up, from his feet to his positioning, on run plays vs pass plays when he's in there. And bounce them for down and distance. And also look at the calls when he's in vs out and bounce those against down and distance as well.

Yes it could simply be that the Seahawks knew the Rams would try to feed him and greenlighted a run focus when he was in there on certain downs. But I'd be very worried about tells right now if I'm the Rams. That's a real thing in this league and when it happens you will get a disparity like we saw week one, where one guy gets read over and over. So at the least I'd ensure I'm ruling it out.
Could be someone or something other than Akers too. Oline splits, line calls etc.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When Williams had people in his face in the backfield he did the same thing, was tackled for a loss.

First drive when Akers had decent blocking he had a good run. When they ran the pitch for a TD it was well blocked snd he strolled in.

Most of the okays Williams made gains on were against a light box. Not the same thing.
SF will key hard on Williams in this game. OL is going to need to execute vs these fucks on the run calls or we'll be in third and 13s all day.

LOURam85

Rookie
I think Seattle focusing on run when Akers was in and McVay predictably calling runs for Akers really made it unnecessarily hard for him.

They mixed it up for Kyren and doing that for Akers is only gonna help him and us going forward
Well he needs to be a better pass blocker

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
SF will key hard on Williams in this game. OL is going to need to execute vs these fucks on the run calls or we'll be in third and 13s all day.
No doubt, I really hope McVay and the cosching staff have been scheming some surprises for SF that puts them in a hole early.

It would be great to have a home field advantage but I don’t see it happening.

Best thing that could happen is to beat Purdy down so bad he can’t finish the game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One of the reasons I kept saying in the offseason that I wish we could add another back (not a rookie). I just feel Akers is too in consistent at times. Is his added bulk actually making him worse?
Yes he’s been inconsistent. I mentioned earlier that maybe he added bulk to try and rely more on power than wiggle, because he possibly doesn’t trust his cutting ability with the Achilles repair.
I have not given up on Cam like a lot of others on this board have. He has battled back from some serious injuries to get back on the field. I believe we will see Cam improve as the season goes on and he is provided some support up front. Not getting all the hate for Cam, on this board.
I don’t understand his slow starts. I guess it’s a good thing to pick up steam late in the season but is this a preparation problem, or ‘urgency’ problem? His riff with McVay makes it easier to question imo.
Rams need to look at how he lines up, from his feet to his positioning, on run plays vs pass plays when he's in there. And bounce them for down and distance. And also look at the calls when he's in vs out and bounce those against down and distance as well.

Yes it could simply be that the Seahawks knew the Rams would try to feed him and greenlighted a run focus when he was in there on certain downs. But I'd be very worried about tells right now if I'm the Rams. That's a real thing in this league and when it happens you will get a disparity like we saw week one, where one guy gets read over and over. So at the least I'd ensure I'm ruling it out.
Yes tells are a huge advantage. My kid uses them in high school. He watches the way every Olineman lines up and can usually find one giving away the play with a tell.

It could also be that Wagner had some intel to share with his defense. He was a Ram for a year.

If it is a tell then it can be tough to detect. I don’t think coaches pick them out easily on film. I’d have AD watch film of the Rams offense and see what he thinks.

My sons team has a new coaching staff. They’ve made some boneheaded decisions so far but after getting to know his playing ability and trusting him, they started asking his advice, and they took it. Problems solved, just in time for our biggest rivalry too.

See what AD has to say imo.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
1 game played this season where even McVay expressed some doubts over his own 'calls', ... I'm far from ready to throw Akers under the bus.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
LaFleur said it's all 11, not just Akers, that determine the results of a running play, which is pretty much what we see with our own eyes.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
Not likely but after taking it to the Seacocks - Would anyone be shocked by a trade for Jonathan Taylor (Plan B to last years Plan A attempt to get McCaffrey).
Not gonna happen.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Kinda shocking to see this dude get so many touches.

Who saw this coming?

KW probably went undrafted in nearly all fantasy drafts. Akers was touted as the starter by the experts. I doubt many thought KW would quickly emerge as the lead back in our offense.

He had a nice game vs Seattle but when I re-watched the game film I noticed a few things. He is excellent in pass pro and runs with great vision.

I went back and read several scouting reports about him, when he came out in the draft. They all mention the same thing.

He was touted as an excellent pass pro blocking RB. He was also recognized for his quickness, vision, agility and his ability to catch passes out of the backfield.

Only real negatives noted was him lacking next level explosiveness (though he has quickness), lack of long speed and lacking power (5'9 195).

Watching the film vs Seattle, you can really see how quick he is to pick up the blitzer and use excellent technique to stonewall the rusher.

You also see his vision on the runs.

One thing we haven't see yet is his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Some draft scouts think he has Austin Ekeler ability as a WR out of the backfield.

With a healthy O-line, a top notch pass blocking RB who can also catch passes, and an emerging WR's in Puka and Tutu with Kupp coming back, we might see the best passing offense in Mcvays tenure, which is saying alot. Effective RB pass pro can heavily impact a pass game in ways people often don't notice.

I am excited to see how Williams impacts this offense. I really think offers more then Akers does as sort of an all-purpose RB.

I like Akers as a backup and to help spell KW, but I think Akers days as the lead back are in the rear view mirror.
It's pretty simple-- KW is better than Akers.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
I don't know how much is the blocking or how much is Akers. It sure seemed like he was running into 8 man fronts while Williams didn't have to run against it. I do know Akers has a tendency to start slow and finish strong. I think they have to stay the course and use a two back system. Overall the run blocking seemed substandard. If defenses are stacking the box more when Akers is in there maybe Stafford should change the play to a pass.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Seahawks emphasis was on stopping the run. Williams looks like the best back at this point. Rivers?

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Just feel like bumping a thread all about Kyren makes sense today.
I'm impressed by his vision and patience and decisiveness.. and the way he finishes his runs.

He ran very smart and very tough today, it was a lot of fun to watch.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Don
Just feel like bumping a thread all about Kyren makes sense today.
I'm impressed by his vision and patience and decisiveness.. and the way he finishes his runs.

He ran very smart and very tough today, it was a lot of fun to watch.
HaHa, I was like 5 pages already, people got really excited today by his performance. Good move on the bump KW played really well.

TexasRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kyren has had his ups and downs this year. More then a few dropped passes, route running issues, a few missed blocks.

We also see at times he lacks power that is critical in short yardage. People have called for a bigger lead back at times.

What we saw today though vs the Cards, as Kupp mentioned was his vision, patience, decisiveness and 2nd effort.

We also saw some Dog when the game was on the line. He elevated his game in crunch time even while dealing with ankle injury.

We saw a cruchtime competitor today.

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What I love about Williams is he runs hard every snap. Every carry. Every block. The dude has a superb work ethic.

He isn't the most talented player but you can't measure heart. We have a real starting RB, legit all 3 downs back.

I just worry about him getting beat up. But today was a thing of beauty and huge props to the OL for firing off and dominating that Cards front.

Last edited:

Merlin

Damn the torpedoes
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's a change of pace talent with the heart of a lion. Not gonna bet against him that's for damn sure.