Kyren Williams

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TexasRam

Legend
Kinda shocking to see this dude get so many touches.

Who saw this coming?

KW probably went undrafted in nearly all fantasy drafts. Akers was touted as the starter by the experts. I doubt many thought KW would quickly emerge as the lead back in our offense.

He had a nice game vs Seattle but when I re-watched the game film I noticed a few things. He is excellent in pass pro and runs with great vision.

I went back and read several scouting reports about him, when he came out in the draft. They all mention the same thing.

He was touted as an excellent pass pro blocking RB. He was also recognized for his quickness, vision, agility and his ability to catch passes out of the backfield.

Only real negatives noted was him lacking next level explosiveness (though he has quickness), lack of long speed and lacking power (5'9 195).

Watching the film vs Seattle, you can really see how quick he is to pick up the blitzer and use excellent technique to stonewall the rusher.

You also see his vision on the runs.

One thing we haven't see yet is his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Some draft scouts think he has Austin Ekeler ability as a WR out of the backfield.

With a healthy O-line, a top notch pass blocking RB who can also catch passes, and an emerging WR's in Puka and Tutu with Kupp coming back, we might see the best passing offense in Mcvays tenure, which is saying alot. Effective RB pass pro can heavily impact a pass game in ways people often don't notice.

I am excited to see how Williams impacts this offense. I really think offers more then Akers does as sort of an all-purpose RB.

I like Akers as a backup and to help spell KW, but I think Akers days as the lead back are in the rear view mirror.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
Akers had 22 carries for 29 yards. They had no option but to switch to Williams. Not sure why Akers has been so inconsistent but he has been given every opportunity to succeed.

Picked4td

Pro Bowler
Akers had 22 carries for 29 yards. They had no option but to switch to Williams. Not sure why Akers has been so inconsistent but he has been given every opportunity to succeed.
Switch to? Kyren out snapped him like 20-4 in the 1st half. Kyren was the guy from the start

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
it’s not all on ether running back. The run blocking was inconsistent at best. I worry we will get stonewalled by the 9ers unless the blocking improves. They were obviously solid/great pass blocking but it’s not like Akers or Williams we’re missing holes

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kyren was great. Akers ran very hard at the end and ran well to close it out. Akers also had some huge breakdowns on blocking while he was running on multiple runs. I think the biggest problem was when Akers was in it was almost always a run to him. The defense knew what McVay was going to do when he was in. That wasn't the case with Kryen. I think a lot of this is on McVay. And he addressed he had some really bad play calling in the first half.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

It's weird again, like last season, every time Williams (Henderson last season) got the ball he had a little space to run the ball yet every time Akers got the ball he had a wall of defenders in his face.

What is it in the play calling that results in this happening over and over again for Akers? How can he succeed if he has at least 3 defenders untouched standing in front of him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Stafford seemed to be a little irritated with the routes Williams ran a couple of times. His throws got nowhere near him and he didn't hide his frustration.

dang

Legend
Not likely but after taking it to the Seacocks - Would anyone be shocked by a trade for Jonathan Taylor (Plan B to last years Plan A attempt to get McCaffrey).

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Williams has better initial burst and vision than Akers does. Kyren found the holes and shot through them. Too many times Akers just ran into the back of the Oline.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
We know who Akers is at this point. He's been on the team for 4 years. He's okay, runs hard, not very good at creating anything. Might see Rivers start to get some touches.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
Williams has better initial burst and vision than Akers does. Kyren found the holes and shot through them. Too many times Akers just ran into the back of the Oline.
I think your 100% correct on Williams vs Akers vision. Unfortunately Akers just doesn't see what's there. The Oline has to do better run blocking though

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I think your 100% correct on Williams vs Akers vision. Unfortunately Akers just doesn't see what's there. The Oline has to do better run blocking though
The confusing part is that Akers had good vision in college. He had a lousy Oline and still found holes to run through. He was shiftier too. Maybe the Achilles injury has had a bigger effect than we know. He might not feel comfortable looking for those tight creases to juke through. Maybe that’s why he put on some muscle. That way he relies more on his power than his lateral movement

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
Let's not forget how Cam finished last season with 3 straight 100 yards games including a game against the Seahawks which was just 9 months ago

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
37 carries with the RB's and 38 passes. Stafford had 3 carries. They were definitely well balanced. And obviously more committed to the run. But the run blocking still isn't there. Not sure how much is Akers and how much is the blocking. We do know the run blocking has been bad the last couple years. But it didn't hurt us in 2021. And it didn't hurt us yesterday.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Kyren was great. Akers ran very hard at the end and ran well to close it out. Akers also had some huge breakdowns on blocking while he was running on multiple runs. I think the biggest problem was when Akers was in it was almost always a run to him. The defense knew what McVay was going to do when he was in. That wasn't the case with Kryen. I think a lot of this is on McVay. And he addressed he had some really bad play calling in the first half.
I kept telling my son the same thing all game, when Akers was in the backfield, the Hags keyed on the run and stuffed the box, knowing that Akers is generally taken out on passing plays. They played more pass coverage when Kyren came into the game, thus allowing for more running room. To be fair, I think Kyren was hitting the holes with more intensity and the blocking for Akers was pretty bad a lot of time, where he had no chance. Akers missed several opportunities to adjust the run and get big gains by popping outside to open green, and instead just ran directly into a wall of his OL and the DL. Would love to see Evans get a few carries at some point to see how he fairs.

oldnotdead

Legend
Akers would have been on the field more if he could pass block. Akers got more carries but Williams played more snaps because he could pass block. If Akers wants to stay on the field in a passing offense he needs to learn to pass block. IMO it will be a point of emphasis for Evans. I like Akers but his inability to play on passing downs is huge issue with the Rams. It's why I've personally never felt he was going to get a second contract.

It's why they brought back Michel. If Evans wants to be #1 RB he needs to learn how to pick up blitzes. Michel proved to the Rams the value of a true 3 down RB.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
I think a lot of Akers issues maybe between the ears...thinking of the drama from last season...

jap

Legend
 They need to.mux things up with Cam, have him chip block and go out for passes more so his presence doesn't tip the defenders off of an upcoming run play. It definitely would help much more if he learned to pass block more effectively, as OldNotDead suggests.

If Kyren can be coached up to run WR-quality routes, he could really enhance himself as a game-changer.

Antonius

Pro Bowler
The amount of yards that two running backs compiled tells me we can get more from our line

Run blocking seemed to be better in the red zone, as evident by three rushing touchdowns

But in the open space of the field, the Oline had a bit hard time getting to the second level or creating a significant push upfront

I’m proud they kept Stafford healthy but I like to see more from them on the run game

Last edited: