Jeff Fisher says he left Rams in 'good shape,' lauds Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram65

Legend
Havenstein and brown played better their rookie year the entire team was a mess last year. I’m just saying he Fisher was telling the truth when he said he left the roster in good shape

Aaron Kromer got these two playing better. It was touch and go early on.

Then it was on Demoff not Fisher he wanted Jenkins Demoff messed it up and got them in two franchise tag situations with Trumaine

Snead doesn't do contracts, Demoff does so it's not on him.

I think Fisher had the final say on who to resign.

Either way he should have made it a priority to resign Jenkins.

nighttrain

Legend
Jenkins wanted out, couldn't stand the losing, plus the D was constantly on the field with Fisher
train

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who are these 10 starters who are the 22 players that’s on the 53 man roster. I’m coming up with a blank

The only ones I know are Whitworth Sullivan and Barwin.

Then you get to his trades you Got Watkins for Ej and a 2nd rounder

Woods was a free agent.
The draft you got Pharoh, Kupp and Reynolds ebukam

Now I can’t think of the other guys that he brought in that’s actually making a major contribution to this team.

But either way you look at it the roster was in good shape I don’t see how people don’t want to admit that it’s not taking anything away from what McVay is doing but it’s the truth.
Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, Watkins, Brandon Allen, Barwin, Blythe, Carrier, Justin Davis, Dunbar, Ebukam, Isaiah Johnson, John Johnson, Kupp, Lucas, Kevin Peterson, Josh Reynolds, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Smart, Thompson, Tillery, Webster. There are a couple others that were signed recently due to injuries I didn't count. There's 22 people on the roster that weren't here yesterday. Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, Watkins, Ebukam, JJ, Kupp, NRC, Webster and Smart have all started or been regular players this year on offense and defense. The crazy thing is for Fishers tenure we always thought our defense was the strength. Granted we switched schemes and it started off slow but of those 10 6 are defense 4 are offense. That's a huge roster change over.

Overthecap.com had an article at the start of camp so this doesn't account for changes since the season began. From 2016 to 2017 the Rams lost 32.9% of their snaps on offense and defense. A full one third of the guys who took snaps on offense and defense in 2016 are gone. Sure some of that is Keenum who started 7 games but that's still a huge number.

Edit: Pharoh was drafted in 2016. The roster absolutely had some talent in it not denying that. But as I've stated IMO his biggest issue was coaching. He left us some talent and it needed coaching. But he left us 4-12 and coming off 5 losing season. Not going to thank him for the way he left the team.

Ram65

Legend
Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, Watkins, Brandon Allen, Barwin, Blythe, Carrier, Justin Davis, Dunbar, Ebukam, Isaiah Johnson, John Johnson, Kupp, Lucas, Kevin Peterson, Josh Reynolds, Nickell Robey-Coleman, Smart, Thompson, Tillery, Webster. There are a couple others that were signed recently due to injuries I didn't count. There's 22 people on the roster that weren't here yesterday. Whitworth, Sullivan, Woods, Watkins, Ebukam, JJ, Kupp, NRC, Webster and Smart have all started or been regular players this year on offense and defense. The crazy thing is for Fishers tenure we always thought our defense was the strength. Granted we switched schemes and it started off slow but of those 10 6 are defense 4 are offense. That's a huge roster change over.

Overthecap.com had an article at the start of camp so this doesn't account for changes since the season began. From 2016 to 2017 the Rams lost 32.9% of their snaps on offense and defense. A full one third of the guys who took snaps on offense and defense in 2016 are gone. Sure some of that is Keenum who started 7 games but that's still a huge number.

Edit: Pharoh was drafted in 2016. The roster absolutely had some talent in it not denying that. But as I've stated IMO his biggest issue was coaching. He left us some talent and it needed coaching. But he left us 4-12 and coming off 5 losing season. Not going to thank him for the way he left the team.

Good work Old School. The coaching has been night and day last year compared to this year. It's been reported that this current staff is always teaching. That's how it should be. Get better every day.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I guess the hole thing boils down to yes fisher let the roster in good shape but a lot of us think with the draft picks we had almost any coaching staff would have left a good roster there fore fisher gets no credit. so if you want to credit fisher I'm fine with that but I won't
You don’t have to but that don’t stop it from being the truth and we know that spags and linehan couldn’t and didn’t do anything with their draft picks. Maybe you’re not to intimate with the years before fisher and the absolute trash we had on this team how many players are no longer even in the nfl from those years. What Fisher did with that roster is and was amazing his approach on offense was terrible but this team wouldn’t be where it is today without the pieces that Fisher picked out

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
he also said the Rams weren't going 7-9 last year , so I suppose he could be right again

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

i remember back to 2012 when fisher dragged the rams from laughing stock to average. gotta give him credit for that. i even started enjoying watching the rams play again. it was like a stepping stone to better things. unfortunately that was the only step they took. they never got better than their first season with fisher, even though the talent gradually got better. that was the most frustrating thing about fisher's tenure with the rams.

Yes, They would look like they were starting to break thru and then a very mediocre team would come in and wax us at home. Like the jets or the Bills. Or how could we start the season off getting blown out to such a bad SF team last year? He didn't leave the cupboard bare, no doubt, but in coaching changes you can almost always say the same. Coaching is coaching and talent is talent. The best coaching gets the best out of their players and Fisher as the Rams HC never got consistent effort or consistently gave his players a good game plan. The team could never over come adversity cause the staff never planned well for it or adapted well to it. You could bet, if the rams had a weakness in their depth it would come back to bite them. The Rams were exactly what the head coach was, fair to middlen. If he wants to take credit for the talent level, fine, it wasn't bad. The coaching level is the problem, and he will not get another HC job.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I thought this conversation was about fisher leaving the roster in Good shape which is the only thing I’m debating not whether the guy is a stellar coach.

And to be honest a lot of the guys that got replaced was FA anyway so I don’t really care about that to me a roster make over is releasing guys and replacing them with someone better like they did with Whitworth.

So yeah while there might be 22 guys they brought in it’s not 22 guys that’s making a difference on this team. Hell Barwin isn’t really making a difference.

You have Whitworth Sullivan Watkins even though we got him by trading a 2nd and EJ and you have Woods and Kupp that’s 5 on offense.

Britt and Quick was FA they was gone anyway Kendrick was a FA he was gone anyway we already had Higbee on the roster.

Defense We lost TJ FA replaced with Alexander already on the roster Alexander play fell off replaced with Davis already on the roster Davis got hurt replaced with Johnson draft choice.

Moved to 3-4 created extra LB position got Barwin.

So to me out of 22 players only 9 are major contributors that has nothing to do with Fisher. And Webster been hurt and it’s been a fisher guy Hill that’s been making up for it.

The we lost snaps argument is kinda augmented because a lot of those guys was leaving already they didn’t get replaced because they sucked.

When you change defenseive schemes it creates openings tanziel did make plenty of starts but from my knowledge it’s been Westbrooks Donald and Brockers the 2 corners we added didn’t replace nobody lol they where needed because Jenkins left and we traded Gaines for Watkins .

You named 22 guys but a lot of those are just guys and practice squad guys at that.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Aaron Kromer got these two playing better. It was touch and go early on.

Either way he should have made it a priority to resign Jenkins.
It pretty much was already stated who wanted who Fisher came out a lot saying Jenkins was his priority.

This conversation isn’t about who got them playing better at least not to me it’s about the players that’s on this roster now compared to the players that was on this roster when fisher got this team.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Fisher has been the butt of jokes all season, the better the team did the more you heard about Fisher’s failures. So for him to say “yeah, but I built the foundation” isn’t that shocking, of course him saying these are basically my players is pretty much confirming that he’s not a very good coach. If it’s the same team the big difference is the coaching. There really isn’t a good way to spin this, if these are the same players then McVay is a much better coach, if they turned over the roster in one offseason and are now going to the playoffs, why didn’t you do it in 5 years time? Every time there’s a story about worst to first Fisher’s name gets mentioned, it’s gotta be eating at him.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I thought this conversation was about fisher leaving the roster in Good shape which is the only thing I’m debating not whether the guy is a stellar coach.

And to be honest a lot of the guys that got replaced was FA anyway so I don’t really care about that to me a roster make over is releasing guys and replacing them with someone better like they did with Whitworth.

So yeah while there might be 22 guys they brought in it’s not 22 guys that’s making a difference on this team. Hell Barwin isn’t really making a difference.

You have Whitworth Sullivan Watkins even though we got him by trading a 2nd and EJ and you have Woods and Kupp that’s 5 on offense.

Britt and Quick was FA they was gone anyway Kendrick was a FA he was gone anyway we already had Higbee on the roster.

Defense We lost TJ FA replaced with Alexander already on the roster Alexander play fell off replaced with Davis already on the roster Davis got hurt replaced with Johnson draft choice.

Moved to 3-4 created extra LB position got Barwin.

So to me out of 22 players only 9 are major contributors that has nothing to do with Fisher. And Webster been hurt and it’s been a fisher guy Hill that’s been making up for it.

The we lost snaps argument is kinda augmented because a lot of those guys was leaving already they didn’t get replaced because they sucked.

When you change defenseive schemes it creates openings tanziel did make plenty of starts but from my knowledge it’s been Westbrooks Donald and Brockers the 2 corners we added didn’t replace nobody lol they where needed because Jenkins left and we traded Gaines for Watkins .

You named 22 guys but a lot of those are just guys and practice squad guys at that.
If the "just guys and practice squad guys" that Fisher had left were good would they have still been here? Again if you want to pat Fisher on the back for the roster he built all the power to you. It's clear this roster has had a major change over.

Sure move to 3-4 created an extra IBL position sorry to correct you. But it also removed a DE position.

You list FA that went away. If they were so good would they not have been brought back? Nine major contributors in a game with 22 starters and maybe 30 guys get regular snaps week to week. The math shows that's a huge change over. If you want to down play it all the power to you. The numbers however tell a different story.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the "just guys and practice squad guys" that Fisher had left were good would they have still been here? Again if you want to pat Fisher on the back for the roster he built all the power to you. It's clear this roster has had a major change over.

Sure move to 3-4 created an extra IBL position sorry to correct you. But it also removed a DE position.

You list FA that went away. If they were so good would they not have been brought back? Nine major contributors in a game with 22 starters and maybe 30 guys get regular snaps week to week. The math shows that's a huge change over. If you want to down play it all the power to you. The numbers however tell a different story.

What numbers it’s nine regular guys that make contributions to this team tell me what are the other ones.?

If those guys that was free agents have years left on their deal and still got replaced that’s a difference. But all those guys got signed to deals with other teams that’s a big difference.

The entire defense beside 3 spots are fisher guys the offense beside 5 spots is fisher guys the depth along the defensive line and linebackers are all fisher guys except 2 that’s ebukam and Smart the special team aces are all fisher guys.

Name me one player besides the obvious that contributes that’s not a fisher guy.

A major change over is what fisher had to do not what McVay had to do that was simple tweaking. Guys where already on the way out and got too much money and interest from other teams. He just had to plug and play.

McVay did a great job getting the right guys and those guys staying healthy but downplaying the fact that he got a MUCH better roster then fisher inherited is blind homerism and flat out hate

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
You don’t have to but that don’t stop it from being the truth and we know that spags and linehan couldn’t and didn’t do anything with their draft picks. Maybe you’re not to intimate with the years before fisher and the absolute trash we had on this team how many players are no longer even in the nfl from those years. What Fisher did with that roster is and was amazing his approach on offense was terrible but this team wouldn’t be where it is today without the pieces that Fisher picked out

the truth? never said he didn't leave us with a good roster. I said I think almost any staff with the picks we had and 5 years would have left us with a good roster. you bring up spags and linehan but they didn't have the draft picks or 5 years to build the roster.also I have been a fan since Gabriel was throwing pa bombs to tommy McDonald(he of the short sleeves)

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What numbers it’s nine regular guys that make contributions to this team tell me what are the other ones.?

If those guys that was free agents have years left on their deal and still got replaced that’s a difference. But all those guys got signed to deals with other teams that’s a big difference.

The entire defense beside 3 spots are fisher guys the offense beside 5 spots is fisher guys the depth along the defensive line and linebackers are all fisher guys except 2 that’s ebukam and Smart the special team aces are all fisher guys.

Name me one player besides the obvious that contributes that’s not a fisher guy.

A major change over is what fisher had to do not what McVay had to do that was simple tweaking. Guys where already on the way out and got too much money and interest from other teams. He just had to plug and play.

McVay did a great job getting the right guys and those guys staying healthy but downplaying the fact that he got a MUCH better roster then fisher inherited is blind homerism and flat out hate
I'll drop it, you seem upset that I think Fisher's roster was ok but was improved. You state maybe 9 contributors are new guys and that is ok in your mind. I say that's a huge number and you aren't ok with that. Whitworth, Sullivan, Watkins and Woods alone transform this offense beyond anything we saw under Fisher. Add in the draft picks and there's just no way you can say Fishers offense was good and had McVay started the same offense we'd be in the same spot.

It's clear we have a different opinion of the impact Snead and McVay's roster changes made to this team.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
the truth? never said he didn't leave us with a good roster. I said I think almost any staff with the picks we had and 5 years would have left us with a good roster. you bring up spags and linehan but they didn't have the draft picks or 5 years to build the roster.also I have been a fan since Gabriel was throwing pa bombs to tommy McDonald.
Linehan and spags has enough time to do something because they had a decent start to the roster their drafts and every free agent they brought in didn’t work that’s a massive miss. They might not have had the draft picks fisher had but they had a lot and they had a lot of money to sign guys with that they absolutely blew.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'll drop it, you seem upset that I think Fisher's roster was ok but was improved. You state maybe 9 contributors are new guys and that is ok in your mind. I say that's a huge number and you aren't ok with that. Whitworth, Sullivan, Watkins and Woods alone transform this offense beyond anything we saw under Fisher. Add in the draft picks and there's just no way you can say Fishers offense was good and had McVay started the same offense we'd be in the same spot.

It's clear we have a different opinion of the impact Snead and McVay's roster changes made to this team.
I think 9 is a good number but it’s no where near the 30-38 guys fisher had to replace. This entire thread is about fisher leaving the roster in good shape everyone else is turning it into something else all I’m saying is that the roster was in good shape. Never said McVay didn’t improve on it never said the guys he brought in didn’t make a difference all I said was that fisher wAs right the roster was in good shape when McVay got it. If it wasn’t he wouldn’t have been able to get all the pieces he needed in one offseason

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

And once again I never said fisher offense was good. That’s the problem you’re focusing on results when I’m focusing on fisher statement that he left the roster in good shape. That’s a difference then talking about results

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's just trying to get his name out there before the ax comes down on several coaches .

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Spagnuolo doesn't get the blame for the team sucking as far as talent, but he was a shit HC, a shit DC too.

Devaney was the worst GM in the NFL at the time and ownership was essentially JZ and JS. Which is shit in a bag.

Britt's mindset, yup he's a douche bag and a quitter
train

When he posted the instagram vid of him banging his wife doggy style it was a microcosm of his maturity issues.

Who does that???

He could say whom he wanted, but Demoff does the contracts and makes those calls. He still does. He's the money guy and will be probably as long as SK owns the Rams.

Jenkins wanted out, couldn't stand the losing, plus the D was constantly on the field with Fisher
train

He was coming off an excellent year and wanted to test the market. Who wouldn't..........I don't blame him.

Though it's funny he went to the Gnats and was singing their praises about how wonderful it was there and they turned into a dysfunctional steaming pile of shit and suck.

But he's still cashing the checks haha.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
And once again I never said fisher offense was good. That’s the problem you’re focusing on results when I’m focusing on fisher statement that he left the roster in good shape. That’s a difference then talking about results
No the problem is you're down playing the contributions of the free agents McVay and Snead brought on while also boosting the roster that Fisher built. We differ on this and that's ok it's an agree to disagree. Fisher left as a whole a mediocre roster with some talent and a lot of people who weren't coached up to being good. Sorry you want to discount that but as head coach with total roster control he has to make sure both happens. He was adequate at best at building a roster. He failed miserably at coaching. Best I'll say of his roster building is it was adequate.