Jeff Fisher says he left Rams in 'good shape,' lauds Sean McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

tempests

Hall of Fame
Sounds like FIsher knows he's in a PR battle for his next job.

There's something so disingenuous in the way he talks. He can have credit for the roster they've assembled if he acknowledges what he didn't get right with the Rams. Which I've never seen him do.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
OMG....I have never heard of a fired HC (in season firing,mind you) try to take credit for his successors Coach of the Year performance!!!! The temperament of this team is light years different than the Fisher/Williams culture. This coaching staff rehabilitated players like Goff, Gurley and dumped Fisher boys like Kenny Britt. It’s the most ballsy freakin attempt to appropriate glory that I have ever heard!

Ladoc

UDFA
Name
Garth
I mean he's not wrong. He took over a team that had the worst three year run in NFL history, found a very competent GM (remember Devaney? eeck) and turned the team mediocre.

McGinnis can kick rocks tho. Not sure he did anything other than raid the team store's long sleeve t-shirt inventory.
Blah blah blH... they want to take credit for the roster (1/2 of which was their players). There are ALWAYS players left behind from previous tenures. Them stating that just proves I’m all those years they were inept at coaching and making those same players successful. Jeff fishers hand in the offense and his quarterbacks have been for the most part consistent failures. Nothing new here. They could have gotten rid of Kenny Britt etc and gone out and gotten experienced o lineman and other receivers too but did not. Glad he was man enough to give McVay Credit.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is leaving the Rams at 4-12 considered good shape? I dunno, he drafted some good players but also wiffed big time on skill positions that matter. LT, WR, RB, and QB. I only say QB because if Jeff Fisher was still here Jared Goff would still be considered a bust. It's only more telling that Jeff Fisher doesn't know what the hell he's doing because all 3 QBs that played for the Rams in the recent past are now Super Bowl contenders and when he was coach they were Pretenders

And just the fact that he says he has no regrets really shows how hard headed this fool is. Just stay retired Fisher. It's where you belong.

He’s talking about roster not record wise. How many new head coaches only had to make a small change in personnel how many new defensive coordinators only had to implement their system.

Now if there was one position on offense that Fisher did get right it is the RB position. Darryl Richardson zack Stacy Gurley the only one that really didn’t work out was Pead so I don’t see how you go there.

Wr wise absolutely correct draft picks was terrible but did get a 1k yards out of Britt. As far as the QBs go that’s in the playoffs now that’s more matter of luck then them beating out the starters and the experience that they had playing for Fisher is serving them well now.

We all know where fisher fault lies and that’s not hiring a creative mind for OC but from roster construction a New Head Coach like McVay couldn’t ask for a better head start

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Fisher inherited a couple of his best players too in Quinn and Saffold.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
The only problem was that he didn’t hire a quality offensive staff to coach them and that he was fielding backup QBs due to injury. That is why he failed and is no longer an NFL head coach.

seems to me their are several teams right now that are doing well with back up qbs so not giving fish a pass for back up qbs

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Blah blah blH... they want to take credit for the roster (1/2 of which was their players). There are ALWAYS players left behind from previous tenures. Them stating that just proves I’m all those years they were inept at coaching and making those same players successful. Jeff fishers hand in the offense and his quarterbacks have been for the most part consistent failures. Nothing new here. They could have gotten rid of Kenny Britt etc and gone out and gotten experienced o lineman and other receivers too but did not. Glad he was man enough to give McVay Credit.

He did go out and get experienced o line help but once again it was injuries that derailed that. And this roster is way more than 1/2 fisher players lol.

I understand the vitriol I really do but the guy do deserve credit where credit is due

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fisher inherited a couple of his best players too in Quinn and Saffold.
One year. And you’re really saying the same thing Fisher is saying how many players did the new coaching staff inherit from fisher compared to what Fisher inherited that’s what he means by good shape

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
One year. And you’re really saying the same thing Fisher is saying how many players did the new coaching staff inherit from fisher compared to what Fisher inherited that’s what he means by good shape

I have been of the opinion the entire time that Fisher deserves credit where its due.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
He did go out and get experienced o line help but once again it was injuries that derailed that. And this roster is way more than 1/2 fisher players lol.

I understand the vitriol I really do but the guy do deserve credit where credit is due

Greg Robinson would be our LT if fisher was still here. Probably would of wanted to resign Barnes too. Almost certainly would have brought back Britt as well. Joyner would still be a slot corner. Thank god Fisher is gone.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Greg Robinson would be our LT if fisher was still here. Probably would of wanted to resign Barnes too. Almost certainly would have brought back Britt as well. Joyner would still be a slot corner. Thank god Fisher is gone.
Was Joyner better than McLeod better than TJ. So in order for Joyner to see the field at all Fisher put him in the slot which worked out because Joyner was able to play close to the line.

Britt was our most productive wide receiver in almost a decade whether people liked him or not.

If I recall a lot of people on this board liked Barnes as for Robinson Fisher did go out and get Long but he got hurt and he did bench Robinson so I don’t get your point there.

I’m glad fisher is gone too but acting like McVay don’t have it good like it’s all McVay is ingenious. I’m sure when he saw the roster he was happy that it wasn’t going to be a complete rebuild the same with Wade.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Jeff you were pretty good at evaluating talent but I’m sorry, you are a terrible coach. So bad that the 2 awful QBs you coached last year are leading 2 of the best offenses this year. Go get a front office job.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
He’s talking about roster not record wise. How many new head coaches only had to make a small change in personnel how many new defensive coordinators only had to implement their system.

there are 4 new starters on df plus 3or4 playing in defferent position. on offense we have 5 new starters plus the resurrection of goff and gurley. that is 9 out of 22 new starters so its not like fisher left them a team that did not need changes.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Was Joyner better than McLeod better than TJ. So in order for Joyner to see the field at all Fisher put him in the slot which worked out because Joyner was able to play close to the line.

Britt was our most productive wide receiver in almost a decade whether people liked him or not.

If I recall a lot of people on this board liked Barnes as for Robinson Fisher did go out and get Long but he got hurt and he did bench Robinson so I don’t get your point there.

I’m glad fisher is gone too but acting like McVay don’t have it good like it’s all McVay is ingenious. I’m sure when he saw the roster he was happy that it wasn’t going to be a complete rebuild the same with Wade.

Yes Joyner is better than them and he’s proving that this season. Britt is terrible and his 1,000 is a reflection of fisher not being able to develop any other WRs that could produce. Who else was going to catch the ball? Tavon? Quick? The guy just got cut by Cleveland lol

Barnes was terrible. He consistently gave up penetration and got Gurley killed.

Rams signed long before drafting Robinson and then released him before the 2015 season which would be GRob’s 2nd season. Also Long had an extensive injury history so counting on him to stay healthy was not smart at all. Fisher “benched” GRob about 30 games too late lol good attempt to save him there though.

McVay is so far ahead of fisher as a head coach it’s not even funny. This is his first year too.
He realized things 1 month in that fisher couldn’t realize in his 5 years here.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Well IMO Fisher does deserve credit for putting Humpty Dumpty kind of back together, it was a big job for sure.

He did put some talent on the roster. This was a rebuild unequaled in the NFL. Though right now it looks like CLE will be topping it..........

McGinnis goes out of bounds saying he and Fisher built the roster. There are several additions making huge contributions this year and he knows that. So I call BS on him.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
there are 4 new starters on df plus 3or4 playing in defferent position. on offense we have 5 new starters plus the resurrection of goff and gurley. that is 9 out of 22 new starters so its not like fisher left them a team that did not need changes.
Who said didn’t need changes and changing positions are very different then needing entirely new players and the only reason why those positions got changed was because of a completely new defensive scheme.

Resurrection of Goff and Gurley that don’t count lol. Gurley Rookie year showed he could play but some times people like to get carried away when things don’t go right. Goff he only had 7 games with now knowing history Goff would have been better but not this good even still Goff was here with Fisher.

Defensive starters Barwin and Johnson. Everybody else was Fishers players.

Offense Watkins woods Whitworth and Sullivan not counting their draft picks.

Bottom line look at what Fisher left McVay and look at what linehan left Fisher not even close. That’s without getting into the depth that fisher left them too.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well IMO Fisher does deserve credit for putting Humpty Dumpty kind of back together, it was a big job for sure.

He did put some talent on the roster. This was a rebuild unequaled in the NFL. Though right now it looks like CLE will be topping it..........

McGinnis goes out of bounds saying he and Fisher built the roster. There are several additions making huge contributions this year and he knows that. So I call BS on him.
Yeah I think the problem is what McGinnis said the roster was mainly there but McVay and co was able to hit on those positions that needed attention like LT and Center and drafting good receivers. I’m not mentioning woods or Watkins because I think Fisher would have went after them too. McVay deserves every accolade he’s getting because he turned the offense into an actual offense

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
seems to me their are several teams right now that are doing well with back up qbs so not giving fish a pass for back up qbs
Besides Keenum and the vikings who else? And if you say philly, nick foles played 1 game against a bad new york team.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes Joyner is better than them and he’s proving that this season. Britt is terrible and his 1,000 is a reflection of fisher not being able to develop any other WRs that could produce. Who else was going to catch the ball? Tavon? Quick? The guy just got cut by Cleveland lol

Barnes was terrible. He consistently gave up penetration and got Gurley killed.

Rams signed long before drafting Robinson and then released him before the 2015 season which would be GRob’s 2nd season. Also Long had an extensive injury history so counting on him to stay healthy was not smart at all. Fisher “benched” GRob about 30 games too late lol good attempt to save him there though.

McVay is so far ahead of fisher as a head coach it’s not even funny. This is his first year too.
He realized things 1 month in that fisher couldn’t realize in his 5 years here.
Lmao we not talking hindsight. Joyner wasn’t better than McLeod or TJ when they was here

Long was the best available LT at the time that was free to be signed so let’s penalize a guy for going out and getting the best LT available the only thing different between no and then is a health o line.

Barnes was terrible but once again who was available??

Britt was our best receiver I don’t care what he’s doing now because we are talking about what he did for Fisher not what’s going on now.

You said GRob would still be our left tackle I just pointed out that fisher did bench him so I highly doubt he would still be out left tackle like you ascertained.

I don’t see why people feel the need to bash someone and down play ALL the good things that did happen because if he didn’t have the players that he did do you guys honestly believe we would be Super Bowl contenders right now.

McVay is good no doubt but he had a great head start with roster construction that a lot of new head coaches don’t have and for that we should ALL be thanking Fisher.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah not buying that all.

First McVay is enjoying something that Fisher never had and that’s health. That’s something that cannot be overstated and dismissed. Fisher offense would have never been top 10 like McVay but it would have been more than good enough with that defense and special teams if they was even middle of the road good.

Fisher and staff did coach up Brown Havenstein and Saffold but as I mentioned earlier McVay has benefited from a healthy team.

In my eyes Fisher is absolutely right if McVay inhereited the same team that Fisher did and had to move the team like fisher did we wouldn’t be talking about how Great he McVay is.

We as fans should be happy that Fisher did construct a very good roster for McVay to take over. He implemented his offense and got Woods Sullivan and Whitworth. Tbh it’s all about timing and the timing was perfect for McVay
That's fine and you're entitled to your opinion. But Fisher had total roster control, total control over his coaching and control over the teams game plan. In his time here in LA there was nothing the team ever did IMO that the team was getting better or was prepared for their opponents. Fisher had his chances and the only players we ever saw get better were DB's and Zeurlein and Hekker (Coach Bones for the special teams players?). I wish nothing but the best for Jeff Fisher and any coaches going forward but I have no sympathies for them not being here anymore.