I'm thinking we take Jones if he declares?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Don't get me wrong he seems like a freak talent wise which some times is all you need in college. But I just couldn't see him stepping onto an NFL field as a QB and being anything but a disaster after only 3 starts in college. Maybe later rounds for a team that can develop him who is set at QB at the moment. But no way would I want to rely on him being our starter next season.
Yes... IMO, the worst NFL team is still much better than the best college teams (Alabama, Oregon, etc.).

The worst NFL team is better... from there, it only gets harder.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Then lets say Tebow only played three games and won the title. He was a first round pick as is. If he wowed everyone in three games like that he goes top ten? Probably.

I am leery of any Meyer coached QB. Especially one that says 'School, we didn't come here to play school' He doesn't sound too smart. Many of these QBs that don't play pro style offenses don't make it in the NFL. Jones is no different and he has little to go on. Meyer has a dumbed down offense that makes it possible for many QBs to succeed. I am sure he dumbed it down even further to make up for Jones inexperience. How will what Jones had to do with OSU in the playoffs compare to what is asked of an NFL QB? NFL QBs are the smartest athletes on the field, maybe the world. The amount of information they have to process in a few short seconds is unlike any other sports job in the world. If you take Jones at #10 then you should be pretty certain that he can process the info quickly and make the right decisions. Austin Davis had a new found respect for what NFL QBs have to deal with after starting for a few games. He started in college a few years and was at 3 NFL training camps. How likely is it that Jones is everything that some here think he is after just three games?

He may or may not be everything we think he is but he has a chance to be... and there is nobody else out there for our rams to get this off season baring mortgaging the future for Mariota or Winston that has the talent to be the guy. I agree its a big gamble but not as big as a gamble as it was a few years back when the contracts were huge. I just dont see anybody else within the Rams reach this year that has all your looking for in a franchise QB.( I dont know what this guy has between his ears but thats for Snead and Fisher to figure out if hes got the brains or not) So from my point of view I saw pull the trigger if it all checks out worse case scenario we wasted 1 first round pick(better than making an RG3 type to donly to have a guy bust out)best case we've found a beast of a QB that will get us over the hump.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
First off, he said after the game that at this moment his main focus is a college degree; so this conversation might be a year early. Secondly I do not believe any NFL GM/team would insane, or QB needy enough to draft a QB who only played 3 games in the 1st round. I would say go for him between rounds 2-4. And finally, we should also look at their offensive lineman, the interior lineman especially. Huge lanes last night, that and Hyde a big year last year as did Elliot this year.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Who knows though we might be able to get the guy with a 2nd or 3rd rounder and I would definatly jump all over that.

WestCoastRam

Legend
For everyone quoting his "school" comment from a year or so ago... I listened to him in his interview after the game and found him to sound very genuine and thoughtful in his comments about his team and their success. Nothing about the stage seemed too big for him.

I agree with people that where he goes will be determined by interviews and workouts but I'd be shocked if he didn't come out given that his options for staying in school are pretty bad. He prob won't beat out Barret and Miller and he'd have to transfer and sit out a year at another school to start. Boy's best bet is to come out.

If he interviews well and has a good combine, he'll be a 1st round pick. Question is: where in the 1st round. I'd be nervous as hell if we took him at 10 but boy I'd be licking my lips if we took him at 20.

Athos

Legend
No thanks. He was not great against Alabama, he was good. He is big and hard to tackle but NFL teams won't want him running much. Against Oregon he played a patsy Dline that got handled by Ohio States Oline. The running game was so good that it made passing he ball easier with open receivers.

We watch the same games? The vertical threat by Jones was opening up the run game from what I could tell. Jones and his WRs had Oregon DBs beat all day, and the WRs kept dropping or fumbling balls all over the field.

Jones should have easily been over 300 yards with a couple passing TDs. Elliot didn't really get started until the 2nd half.

And this Oregon D did embarrass the shit out of FSU and FSU's linemen are nothing to snooze out. Some good talent there.

I saw veteran moves by Jones. The pump fake for a TD. Backshoulder passes. Icy calm. Knowing downs and distances to get the 1st.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
Not sure how People are not impressed with what this kid has done. Sure it was only 3 games but the skills he displayed has to open your eyes. the best players dont always start due to politics or simply coaches preferance. all some guys need is the opportunity. 12 gage got his opportunity and made the best of it. He showed poise beyond his years. A trait that your Qb needs. He showed an NFL arm. whats more important is that he already has a graps of the Back shoulder throw. His size speed combo is something you cant ignore. He is Big Ben clone in my eyes.

A perfect off season would be to Bring in Wisnewski and Iuapati in FA make Kyle Shannahan the OC Draft DGB @10 and Draft 12gage with our 2nd and we are a nice team on both sides of the ball.

beej

Rookie
it's not that I'm not impressed. I'm just not "top 2-3 rounds impressed". There has been a lot of money wrongly spent on backup qb's after a few good games. Heck we just saw it here. After 3 games a lot of people started thinking that we really had something in Austin Davis. We know how that turned out.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
Cardale Jones' NFL draft stock
Scouting the Ohio State QB: If he leaves early, where will he be picked?
Originally Published: January 13, 2015
By Todd McShay | ESPN Insider

mag_jones001_getty_js_576x324.JPG
Andy Lyons/Getty ImagesCardale Jones started the year as a third-string QB and finished it with a national championship run.
Ohio State Buckeyes quarterback Cardale Jones has had one of the more remarkable career starts in college football history, winning the Big Ten championship, the Sugar Bowl and the national championship in his first three starts -- playing very well and with a lot of poise for a first-time starter in the process.
Now that he says he's considering entering the 2015 NFL draft, he has the potential to become one of the more intriguing draft prospects we've ever seen as well.
Here is my scouting take on Jones after his three games, plus a look at what his draft stock might be if he chooses to leave early.
How does Jones project to the NFL?

The best NFL comparison I can make for Jones is that he's an extremely raw version of Ben Roethlisberger. This has to do with Jones' big, strong frame (listed at 6-foot-5, 250 pounds, compared to Roethlisberger's 6-5, 241), his impressive arm talent and his ability to extend plays with strength and mobility. Jones can drive the ball vertically with ease, and he shows the ability to put proper tempo on the ball and layer it between zones. He'd be best-suited for a vertical passing game in the NFL like the ones run in Baltimore or Arizona.
Jones has shown a lot of promise on conflict throws. He can still improve his eye discipline when dealing with the rush (climbing the pocket versus outside pressure and sliding versus inside pressure), but there's no questioning his toughness and ability to deliver a strike when staring down the rush. He has flashed the ability to throw accurately when rolling to either side, and he's good when the initial play breaks down.
When he runs, he's a bull. He was plowing guys over all night -- safeties, linebackers, nose tackles, it didn't matter. He won't run in the NFL like he did in his three games this season -- nobody does, not even Cam Newton, Russell Wilson or Colin Kaepernick -- but his strength is a huge asset in terms of durability, extending plays and short-yardage situations. I'm also tremendously impressed with Jones' poise; this dude showed no heightened pulse in three of the biggest games you can play in at the college level. The moment was never too big for him.
Jones went through his progressions at times in Monday night's College Football Playoff title game win over Oregon, which was the first time I'd seen him do that in his three games. That's a positive sign, as are the patience and field vision he showed against the Ducks. But he was also able to sit back in the pocket all night, with Oregon's pressure rarely getting to him. For the most part in his three starts, he would make one read or two reads and then take off running, so there's room for improvement here.
[+] Enlarge
Tom Pennington/Getty ImagesCardale Jones showed poise under pressure in each of his three games.
The biggest question NFL teams would have to study in evaluating Jones is his mental makeup, because that's just such an unknown at this point given his inexperience. Jones has shown improvement in this area in his three games, but it's still nowhere near what you'd like to see from a drafted QB.
Other areas of concern: Jones has been careless with the football at times, and he has been late on his reads. The first-half play to Devin Smith that resulted in pass interference was a perfect example. He was facing a single high safety look, and the safety rotated to Jones' left at the snap of the ball. The ball should have been thrown right then -- an NFL quarterback needs to be able to see that immediately and get the ball out on time. Instead, Jones hung on to the ball for two beats longer, and while he still got away with it in the sense that the play resulted in a penalty, he left a touchdown on the field by not making the throw on time. That's the type of thing NFL teams are going to be studying.

What factors will go into Jones' decision?
Jones does not have much time to decide on the 2015 NFL draft; the deadline for underclassman declarations is Thursday. I asked some of my contacts in the league if they thought Jones might be able to get an extension on the deadline from the league, given his unique circumstances, so that he could get a grade from the advisory committee.
No one is too sure of whether that could happen (colleague Chris Mortensen told me that the league is looking into it), and more likely than not, Jones would receive a grade outside the first two rounds from the committee. (The league recently reduced the categories on their advisory opinions to three: first round, second round, and neither, which equates to the board advising the player to return to school.) But an extension would at least give Jones a little more time to gather educated opinions and make up his mind, which is only fair.
What is Jones' draft stock right now?
Heading into Monday night's title game, I would have said that Jones was somewhere in the seventh-round or undrafted free-agent range, but after seeing the way he performed in the championship game win, including the fact he was able to go through his progressions and display outstanding poise, I think he's more in the fourth- or fifth-round range. I texted three NFL scouts Tuesday morning, and all three pegged Jones as a Day 3 prospect. However, they admitted they would have much more work to do studying him if he declares.
Any NFL team that drafted him would be gambling on his raw tools, and they would need to have a quarterback coach on staff who is: A) willing to invest the necessary time to develop him; and B) capable of translating Jones' physical abilities to the NFL level.
Bottom line: This is a highly unusual situation. It'd be extremely rare for a quarterback to be drafted after just three games, even one with Jones' raw abilities. But rarely, if ever, do we see a QB have a three-game debut like the one Jones just put together.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Well, everyone knows that I look at things through scarlet & grey colored glasses, but I sure wish he would play a few more games. He's big, strong has a howitzer for an arm and seems to have really grown up over the last couples of years and he seems to have a very short memory which is crucial for the position.

But I would be shocked if he went pro the kid has some great people in his corner like Ted Ginn, Sr., a well respected high school coach in the Cleveland area, but to this point I would like the kid to stay for his mental development, but I guess we will know within the next couple of days.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Den,

I really would love to hear that the NFL gave the guy an extension. It seems like the thoughtful thing to do allowing him to take time to make the right choice for him.

Also, I like McShay so I don't just take his stuff with a grain of salt... his input has tempered my ADORE. I still think the fact that he's a QB pushes him a round up so the 4th-5th prediction becomes a 3rd-4th prediction.

Athos

Legend
Well, everyone knows that I look at things through scarlet & grey colored glasses, but I sure wish he would play a few more games. He's big, strong has a howitzer for an arm and seems to have really grown up over the last couples of years and he seems to have a very short memory which is crucial for the position.

But I would be shocked if he went pro the kid has some great people in his corner like Ted Ginn, Sr., a well respected high school coach in the Cleveland area, but to this point I would like the kid to stay for his mental development, but I guess we will know within the next couple of days.

Again, you're saying that as if he were to be the starter.

Not sure they give up on JT Barrett who set Big 10 records. Then Braxton Miller. One guy, and one guy only, is starting. If he hits, that's basically like transferring and sitting out a year.

22 now. Likely 24 when he finally gets to start. 25 when he finally gets to play. Pretty old for a rookie. Granted, it'd help, but no guarantee he starts at OSU, especially with those QB recruits at OSU.

So it's either sit out a year or go to a small school which does what exactly? He'd learn more, from a FB standpoint, on an NFL bench learning the PRO game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
We watch the same games? The vertical threat by Jones was opening up the run game from what I could tell. Jones and his WRs had Oregon DBs beat all day, and the WRs kept dropping or fumbling balls all over the field.

Jones should have easily been over 300 yards with a couple passing TDs. Elliot didn't really get started until the 2nd half.

And this Oregon D did embarrass the crap out of FSU and FSU's linemen are nothing to snooze out. Some good talent there.

I saw veteran moves by Jones. The pump fake for a TD. Backshoulder passes. Icy calm. Knowing downs and distances to get the 1st.

Jones made some nice throws. But he is a third string QB. Ohio States offense was completely different with Braxton Miller. It was more wide open. Meyer said on ESPN radio that he had to make some changes to the offense. In other words he simplified it. Which makes perfect sense when you have a third string b thrown in to start a big game...or three.

Ohio State was running at will. They just didn't turn it up until they started to pull away. Anyone would play the same against a potentially explosive offense like Oregon. It doesn't mean the had no success running until the second half. They ran successfully in the first half too and Oregon knew it. They were protecting against the run thinking that Jones wouldn't burn them with is arm. Why? Because Jones runs too, and is just as difficult to tackle as Zeke Elliott.

We see the same thing in the NFL when teams play Seattle and San Francisco. The fear of the QB running causes DBs to be hesitant because they are being cautious of the QB running.

So what does all of this tell us? Jones threw the ball well. Does it mean he is worthy of a first round pick? No. Not by watching that game.

When Oregons D line gets gashed repeatedly by the same exact play it means they arent very good. And Florida States offensive line was far from good this year, so they are not a good measure of comparison for the quality of Oregons Dline.

Athos

Legend
Just tell me what he saw that you didn't like from Jones as a QB, minus experience.

The only negative is game tape. But, as I said, I saw him make vet types moves. NFL passes. An NFL pump fake (which I know people hammered Bradford on his 1st two years, at least, for not using to shake off DBs).

Saw him go through progressions. And saw him place a ball on a dime flat-footed.

Worst thing I saw was his indecision in handing off to Elliot on that fumble.

Sure the offense was simplified. That's because he had no game experience in OSU's system.

People harp on Mariota for coming from a spread/picking up bad habits/throwing to wide open guys.

What's the difference if Jones could sit a full year learning the NFL game, maybe two (provided what happens with Bradford) as opposed to running a "gimmick" system?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

Not sure they give up on JT Barrett who set Big 10 records. Then Braxton Miller. One guy, and one guy only, is starting. If he hits, that's basically like transferring and sitting out a year.

22 now. Likely 24 when he finally gets to start. 25 when he finally gets to play. Pretty old for a rookie. Granted, it'd help, but no guarantee he starts at OSU, especially with those QB recruits at OSU.

So it's either sit out a year or go to a small school which does what exactly? He'd learn more, from a FB standpoint, on an NFL bench learning the PRO game.

One rumor that is possible is that Miller gets the starting spot next year and Barrett transfers because he is ready to play now. In that case Jones should stay at OSU.

Other rumor was Braxton Miller transferring NS Barrett starting. Jones then becomes second string....again. Maybe there is an open competition. Meyer will try to hang on to all of them though. His system got two hurt in one season. He cannot afford to lose any at that rate.

Whenever considering an NFL QB picture what he really looks like if you take away his threat to run. And defenses don't have to be overly concerned with it. Because NFL teams want their QBs to be pocket passers. In that regard Jones looked good, but not top ten good.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Just tell me what he saw that you didn't like from Jones as a QB, minus experience.

The only negative is game tape. But, as I said, I saw him make vet types moves. NFL passes. An NFL pump fake (which I know people hammered Bradford on his 1st two years, at least, for not using to shake off DBs).

Saw him go through progressions. And saw him place a ball on a dime flat-footed.

Worst thing I saw was his indecision in handing off to Elliot on that fumble.

Sure the offense was simplified. That's because he had no game experience in OSU's system.

People harp on Mariota for coming from a spread/picking up bad habits/throwing to wide open guys.

What's the difference if Jones could sit a full year learning the NFL game, maybe two (provided what happens with Bradford) as opposed to running a "gimmick" system?

He is worth a shot but not with the tenth overall pick.

Athos

Legend
One rumor that is possible is that Miller gets the starting spot next year and Barrett transfers because he is ready to play now. In that case Jones should stay at OSU.

That'd be dumb, imo. Miller is a walking injury who's more athlete than QB imo. Barrett is a better QB if they want to repeat, he'd have to be the QB.

Other rumor was Braxton Miller transferring NS Barrett starting. Jones then becomes second string....again. Maybe there is an open competition. Meyer will try to hang on to all of them though. His system got two hurt in one season. He cannot afford to lose any at that rate.

That doesn't really tell me how that benefit Jones other than sitting on a bench watching a college FB spread O unless his hope is Barrett gets injured. And again, they'll be having two new QBs next year sitting on the bench learning to. That'd be a lot of competition for Jones.

Whenever considering an NFL QB picture what he really looks like if you take away his threat to run.

eh. Jones doesn't need to run. The ideal would be coaching him up to play like Big Ben. Using his size, athleticism, and speed to extend plays. Which is all he needs to do. There doesn't need to be a threat to run with his arm and pure strength.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Very true and in the words of Jackie Robinson, "It's about getting paid." And maybe that will be what is best for the kid, but he's come so far in a short period of time from a mental standpoint I just hope he continues to grow and a couple years behind Sam Bradford might not be too bad.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
That'd be dumb, imo. Miller is a walking injury who's more athlete than QB imo. Barrett is a better QB if they want to repeat, he'd have to be the QB.

That doesn't really tell me how that benefit Jones other than sitting on a bench watching a college FB spread O unless his hope is Barrett gets injured. And again, they'll be having two new QBs next year sitting on the bench learning to. That'd be a lot of competition for Jones.

eh. Jones doesn't need to run. The ideal would be coaching him up to play like Big Ben. Using his size, athleticism, and speed to extend plays. Which is all he needs to do. There doesn't need to be a threat to run with his arm and pure strength.

So the real point to all of this is not answered. I said he is not worth a top ten or even a first round pick. That is the main argument on this thread. Where would you pick him?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Very true and in the words of Jackie Robinson, "It's about getting paid." And maybe that will be what is best for the kid, but he's come so far in a short period of time from a mental standpoint I just hope he continues to grow and a couple years behind Sam Bradford might not be too bad.

The trouble with him staying is like Athos says. He would be playing more of a spread offense. He wouldn't be learning the pro offense. The offense Ohio State ran the last few games was more of a pro offense to accommodate Jones lack of experience. It looked like the Cardinals. Athos figures skip the spread BS In college and get him in a pro offense right away.

I agree with that part. Why risk injury in Meyers offense. Why learn a system that he would have to Unlearn in the pros. Especially if he "didn't come to play school."