I'm thinking we take Jones if he declares?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

beej

Rookie
I think we all need to take a step back and a deep breath on this kid. He was 3rd string on his college football team. He played 3 games... I'm just saying....Urban Meyer probably did a good job of hiding his flaws but right now everything I'm hearing sounds like over-hype.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
No thanks.
Guy has size and talent, no doubt about that, but, he also has a ton of question marks. It would foolish for him to declare in my opinion.
To me he displays all the hallmarks of a guy who isn't serious, who doesn't work hard....his third string status and his "Im not here to play school" tweet, missing classes ect. speak to this. He's a young guy and people can change. Im am saying if he declares and is taken high, this is the kind of pick that gets GMs fired.
If he is around in the 5th round? Sure.

Well the GM may get fired anyway if they don't find a QB soon who can lead this team to a winning season.

fearsomefour

Legend
Well the GM may get fired anyway if they don't find a QB soon who can lead this team to a winning season.
Very true.
You have to justify your high picks, Jones would be hard to justify to me....In the first couple of rounds anyway.

wrstdude

Rookie
I think he's got a better chance of being Pryor, who I would've liked the Rams to take a flyer on like KC did, than Big Ben.

My guess is he doesn't have the brains to succeed in the NFL after seeing his tweet "I didn't come here to play school." I'm going to trust the guy who has coached him; he was probably 3rd string for a reason. I don't see Urban holding on to him as a last resort if he really felt he was the guy.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I think he's got a better chance of being Pryor, who I would've liked the Rams to take a flyer on like KC did, than Big Ben.

My guess is he doesn't have the brains to succeed in the NFL after seeing his tweet "I didn't come here to play school." I'm going to trust the guy who has coached him; he was probably 3rd string for a reason. I don't see Urban holding on to him as a last resort if he really felt he was the guy.

I can understand the kids frustration when you are as talented as he is and your ridding the bench. I think that tweet says he has dreams of playing at the next level and believes he has the talent to do so. the last 3 games have proved that hes at least worth shot. Whats not to like? Dudes big fast and has a cannon for an arm and has shown accuracy on all levels of the field. Yeah its only 3 games but it was a very big 3 games against elite teams. If he checks all the boxes for the rams (you know they will dig everything up on this kid all the way back to high school if there serious about him) then I'm 100% on board. QBs with his talent and skill set don't come around very often. Maybe he is the next Jamarus Russel, Maybe hes the next Cam Newton. You dont have to mortgage the future any more with the new pay scale when you draft a QB in the first round, Its worth the risk IMO when there aren't any other options out there for us right now besides guys like Glennon. This team is a couple of Olineman and a QB away from competing for a Superbowl.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
No thanks. He was not great against Alabama, he was good. He is big and hard to tackle but NFL teams won't want him running much. Against Oregon he played a patsy Dline that got handled by Ohio States Oline. The running game was so good that it made passing he ball easier with open receivers.

So we have a snapshot of Jones. Using a first on him is crazy talk. None of you guys have even seen how he does in private workouts or the combine. How is he mentally? Can he figure out the NFL? It sounds like he wasn't even willing to try to figure out College. College isn't that hard.

Meyer has a QB friendly offense and he slimmed it down for Jones. Meyer had Alex Smith looking like a cant miss number 1 pick. Tebow was a first rounder. Annointing Jones as the Rams pick at 10 is a bit over the top at this point.
As for the McNair comparison.....how about a Vince Young comparison.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I can understand the kids frustration when you are as talented as he is and your ridding the bench. I think that tweet says he has dreams of playing at the next level and believes he has the talent to do so. the last 3 games have proved that hes at least worth shot. Whats not to like? Dudes big fast and has a cannon for an arm and has shown accuracy on all levels of the field. Yeah its only 3 games but it was a very big 3 games against elite teams. If he checks all the boxes for the rams (you know they will dig everything up on this kid all the way back to high school if there serious about him) then I'm 100% on board. QBs with his talent and skill set don't come around very often. Maybe he is the next Jamarus Russel, Maybe hes the next Cam Newton. You dont have to mortgage the future any more with the new pay scale when you draft a QB in the first round, Its worth the risk IMO when there aren't any other options out there for us right now besides guys like Glennon. This team is a couple of Olineman and a QB away from competing for a Superbowl.

Jones tweet didn't happen this year and it was him venting frustration for riding the bench.

wrstdude

Rookie

lots-ha

Especially having to take him at 10, and not because of the salary. I'd rather go OL there.

Again, I can't get past him being 3rd string. Meyer is an incredible recruiter/coach and he obviously liked him to bring him to Ohio St., but there were clearly reasons he wasn't on the field to begin with.

I'm probably wrong and he'll end up being Tom Brady, but he's just not passing the smell test for me right now.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
No thanks. He was not great against Alabama, he was good. He is big and hard to tackle but NFL teams won't want him running much. Against Oregon he played a patsy Dline that got handled by Ohio States Oline. The running game was so good that it made passing he ball easier with open receivers.

So we have a snapshot of Jones. Using a first on him is crazy talk. None of you guys have even seen how he does in private workouts or the combine. How is he mentally? Can he figure out the NFL? It sounds like he wasn't even willing to try to figure out College. College isn't that hard.

Meyer has a QB friendly offense and he slimmed it down for Jones. Meyer had Alex Smith looking like a cant miss number 1 pick. Tebow was a first rounder. Annointing Jones as the Rams pick at 10 is a bit over the top at this point.
As for the McNair comparison.....how about a Vince Young comparison.

He doesnt have the crappy mechanics and throwing motion that Vince Young had that could never seem to get fixed.

iced

I doubt anyone takes this kid before round 3 or 4 if he declares...too small of a body of work, he should return to school

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
lots-ha

Especially having to take him at 10, and not because of the salary. I'd rather go OL there.

Again, I can't get past him being 3rd string. Meyer is an incredible recruiter/coach and he obviously liked him to bring him to Ohio St., but there were clearly reasons he wasn't on the field to begin with.

I'm probably wrong and he'll end up being Tom Brady, but he's just not passing the smell test for me right now.

What about a 2nd rounder? nobody has a clue right now where this guy will fall or if he will even declare for the draft. I don't recall any QB coming in and playing 3 games and then going in the first round of the draft but there is a first time for everything and this is a weak draft class for QBs so anything can happen. Maybe we will get lucky and someone will draft him in the top 10 and let Mariota or Winston fall to us.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I doubt anyone takes this kid before round 3 or 4 if he declares...too small of a body of work, he should return to school

And take a chance on riding the bench all year just to come out next year with no more game experience? If hes gonna come out now is the time to do it on the heals of an impressive 3 game win streak and a national championship.

beej

Rookie
If there's one person on that team, I'd like to have it's Urban Meyer. If he can make THOSE qb's look like that...what can he do with Austin Davis. of course I say this mostly in jest...mostly...in jest.

Psycho_X

Legend
Don't get me wrong he seems like a freak talent wise which some times is all you need in college. But I just couldn't see him stepping onto an NFL field as a QB and being anything but a disaster after only 3 starts in college. Maybe later rounds for a team that can develop him who is set at QB at the moment. But no way would I want to rely on him being our starter next season.

iced

And take a chance on riding the bench all year just to come out next year with no more game experience? If hes gonna come out now is the time to do it on the heals of an impressive 3 game win streak and a national championship.

either way - i don't see a top 100 pick on him w/ only 3 games

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
He doesnt have the crappy mechanics and throwing motion that Vince Young had that could never seem to get fixed.

Then lets say Tebow only played three games and won the title. He was a first round pick as is. If he wowed everyone in three games like that he goes top ten? Probably.

I am leery of any Meyer coached QB. Especially one that says 'School, we didn't come here to play school' He doesn't sound too smart. Many of these QBs that don't play pro style offenses don't make it in the NFL. Jones is no different and he has little to go on. Meyer has a dumbed down offense that makes it possible for many QBs to succeed. I am sure he dumbed it down even further to make up for Jones inexperience. How will what Jones had to do with OSU in the playoffs compare to what is asked of an NFL QB? NFL QBs are the smartest athletes on the field, maybe the world. The amount of information they have to process in a few short seconds is unlike any other sports job in the world. If you take Jones at #10 then you should be pretty certain that he can process the info quickly and make the right decisions. Austin Davis had a new found respect for what NFL QBs have to deal with after starting for a few games. He started in college a few years and was at 3 NFL training camps. How likely is it that Jones is everything that some here think he is after just three games?

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
God no.

Why? Because he has an awesome RB and an even better o-line that won the game for him last night?

Jones needs to stay in college and develop. If he comes out some team will have drafted a guy they'll have to spend three or four years developing and not playing.
I agree.

Three great games is a pretty darned small sample, IMO.

Athos

Legend
I fucking hope so. QBs after Mariota/Winston are trash. Mediocre talent. All those physical tools.

Bring Shanny-son in as OC and groom Jones to start in 2016 or halfway thru 2016, or 2017 provided we get healthy years out of Bradford.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Sure, why not. It just depends on which rnd.

I've only seen 2 of his starts. The biggest issue I have with him, is that he locks in to his first receiver and watches them run their entire rt.