I'm thinking we take Jones if he declares?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
I saw a thread on here (Rams Talk) about Winston and Mariotia.. Why not Jones if he declares? Dude is big and he has one strong arm.. A no brainer to have him develop behind Sam?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I would, and he just moved up. Mid 2nd round. He's a boom or bust, but BOOM is trending, and not because of the win, but the process, the potential, the magnitude, the poise...other than the fumble.

Elliot has moved way up my board too, and not because of just how he has played, stat wise, but his innate instinct on how to read the holes.

The secondary played well, as did most of the line. Props to Ohio St. Props...deserved.

I don't think Oregon, nor Mariota played poorly...just got beat by a motivated team.

Good game, great format...just expand it to 8 teams. Perfect then. Tons of talent on the field...exciting!

Last edited:

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I thought that too watching the game. His size and skill set reminds me of a more mobile Roethlisberger or even Culpepper. He played smart, the int was on the receiver and the fumble was a fluke. He's still on the fence about declaring, but if he does he would be a good mid round pickup for us.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Take him where? Def not in the first round after only 3 career starts...
Bro, I've been saying the same thing, however after last night's game I'm joining the crazy crowd. This kid is unreal.
He declares, he's on my draft board

Memphis Ram

Legend
Wrong board, but if he declares and doesn't have a poor security report / background check / interviews, I believe the Rams should select him with the #10 overall selection.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that the 2015 NFL draft isn't just about the 2015 NFL season.

beej

Rookie
I'm skeptical of all 3 of the starting QB's ohio state used this season. Not saying he won't be great, just saying I'm skeptical.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wrong board, but if he declares and doesn't have a poor security report / background check / interviews, I believe the Rams should select him with the #10 overall selection.

Of course, I'm of the opinion that the 2015 NFL draft isn't just about the 2015 NFL season.
If he declares, and Mariota goes back to school he may not even be there at #10
Great post btw. Totally agree that 2015 draft doesnt have to be about 2015 but wouldnt it change your opinion on who the QB for 2015 should be?
Meaning I wouldnt think a straight up pocket passer would be the right choice for Jones to sit behind

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I completely agree. Take him where you can get him. If that's #10, so be it.

If he declares, and Mariota goes back to school he may not even be there at #10
Great post btw. Totally agree that 2015 draft doesnt have to be about 2015 but wouldnt it change your opinion on who the QB for 2015 should be?
Meaning I wouldnt think a straight up pocket passer would be the right choice for Jones to sit behind

I don't think that would matter so much. Sam could still teach him a lot about mechanics, preparation, etc.

It's more about just giving him time to develop his skills and get acclimated to a NFL playbook. I think you have to give the kid a year.

So I'd bring back a guy like Hill or another veteran because I'd really hate to see us be forced to start Cardale before he's ready if Sam goes down.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I saw a thread on here (Rams Talk) about Winston and Mariotia.. Why not Jones if he declares? Dude is big and he has one strong arm.. A no brainer to have him develop behind Sam?
Are you getting " Giddy over Jones" Just because of all the ROD Bucks you just won on him, or what!?:D

Elliot has moved way up my board too, and not because of just how he has played, stat wise, but his innate instinct on how to read the holes.
The Kid Looked awesome in last-nights game, and after doing the same thing to the 'Tide' WOW!(y)(y)

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I completely agree. Take him where you can get him. If that's #10, so be it.

I don't think that would matter so much. Sam could still teach him a lot about mechanics, preparation, etc.

It's more about just giving him time to develop his skills and get acclimated to a NFL playbook. I think you have to give the kid a year.

So I'd bring back a guy like Hill or another veteran because I'd really hate to see us be forced to start Cardale before he's ready if Sam goes down.
I'd be okay with a Thaddeus Lewis backing up Sam with Jones in the wings
Although if they draft Jones I think the only way to keep Sam is to pay him his 16mill for 2015

Rams43

Hall of Fame
Count me in the draft Jones column.

In fact, I'm trying my best not to get too carried away.

He WAS the beneficiary of a terrific OL, outstanding receivers, and an amazing RB. And we've only seen a small sampling of his play.

But still...

He shined on college football's biggest stage, didn't he?
Beating Wisconsin, Alabama, and Oregon back to back to back is no small thing.
Lots of poise under pressure, even after teammates' turnovers.
After his own fumble, he calmed more quickly than his HC.
Demonstrated the ability to throw 50 yards downfield with accuracy.
Speaking of accuracy, he demonstrated fine accuracy in short, medium, and long passes.
He has the look of a leader. Teammates trust and have faith in him.
He improved in each of his 3 games.
Strongest QB I've seen in a long, long time. Shakes off blitzing LB's and stones nose tackles.
Has the "want to" a top QB needs.
Recognizes defenses and adjusts very quickly.
Gets his team into the end zone for TD's, rather than settling for FG's.
Could have easily hung 56 on Oregon but for some bizarre turnovers that bounced right into Oregon's hands.

The Rams need to do their due diligence, of course. But I'm thinking this kid would be a helluva pick at #10 overall, if he's even still there.

They will need to be patient, but I'm convinced that Jones has all the raw talent needed to become a top QB in today's NFL. Can you think of a better merge of talent and need for us there?

If the Rams pass on Jones, I think they're gonna regret it for the next 12-15 years.

Sigh... Guess I'm not doing a very good job of tempering my enthusiasm. Lol.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
It would be hard to keep this guy on the bench for a year hes electric.

Psycho_X

Legend
God no.

Why? Because he has an awesome RB and an even better o-line that won the game for him last night?

Jones needs to stay in college and develop. If he comes out some team will have drafted a guy they'll have to spend three or four years developing and not playing.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
Everybody was saying this was a weak QB class just like they were last year(although we still dont know whos declaring) but there are always a few guys that come out of nowhere to shoot up the boards. Hopefully Jones is that guy this year but doesn't shoot up as far as Bortles did last year. God I want this guy at 10.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
God no.

Why? Because he has an awesome RB and an even better o-line that won the game for him last night?

Jones needs to stay in college and develop. If he comes out some team will have drafted a guy they'll have to spend three or four years developing and not playing.

Maybe, Maybe not all the dude has done since he stepped onto the field is make elite plays against elite teams. whos to say that wont continue?? Hes Raw as far as game experience but the kid sure didnt look raw to me out there winning a national championship last night or whipping Alabama. If hes got brains it wont take him 3 or 4 years.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
God no.

Strongly disagree, Psycho.

Yeah, they'll need to be patient. But I see him starting by mid season, unless Bradford is still healthy AND playing very well. And we both know Bradford can't be counted on to remain healthy.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
God no.

I was wondering, what if the Rams Targeted some OHIO O-Linemen!?!

fearsomefour

Legend
No thanks.
Guy has size and talent, no doubt about that, but, he also has a ton of question marks. It would foolish for him to declare in my opinion.
To me he displays all the hallmarks of a guy who isn't serious, who doesn't work hard....his third string status and his "Im not here to play school" tweet, missing classes ect. speak to this. He's a young guy and people can change. Im am saying if he declares and is taken high, this is the kind of pick that gets GMs fired.
If he is around in the 5th round? Sure.