GRob traded to Lions

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
.... is it really the much better to just flop Brown and Havenstein?
I still don't get that move.

Here's the O line I would like to see them go with;
L to R;
Whitworth
Saffold
Sullivan
Brown
Havenstein

Game day active G/C;
Eldrenkamp.

Game day active T/G;
Murphy or Williams.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I don't see how saving $3 million is good? How receiving a 6th round pick was good? For the #2 overall....

I think we didn't have the leverage to get more. I'm sure a team without a LT for a few months could have at least sent a 3rd. Greg is gonna start over there...should have been a 3rd or better.

This is funny....but I'm looking at all of our 1st round picks...only good one Tree....great one is Donald...name another 1st rounder that's working out?
Considering what Havenstein looked like, I would say yeah, make that change. Still, we should have drafted Lamp...Brown has looked horrible sometimes too as a pass protector...Not the blown assignments....but getting ran over is something I doubt you can "coach-up".

Michael Brockers has been pretty solid for us.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
L to R;
Whitworth
Saffold
Sullivan
Brown
Havenstein
I agree which means 3 of the 5 starters on the oline weren't brought in by Fisher/Snead
Defies all logic...

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I find it a little funny that I am reading the same style of outrage at trading GRob as I did when we dropped Smith. I remember a lot of people swearing Smith would be a Pro Bowler etc etc. Well, he was what he was and I am guessing the GRob is the same.

We drafted him for the same reasons we drafted Smith.....the reason was obviously flawed.

I hope he can create a career in Detroit because he couldn't here. Why do I see people saying we didn't get enough? We got a draft pick and cap savings for a guy who would be 2nd or 3rd string, (due to the fact they traded him). So how would not trading him and keeping him as a non starter at 6 million a better idea?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Michael Brockers has been pretty solid for us.
Love Brockers....let me get that out there...Love what he does...sorta like a Hankins/porkchop kinda guy..does the dirty work. But he was the 6th pick, correct? Top 10 picks need to be all pro types...Not just solid...if you only see solid players in that area, you should trade back. JMO

Why do I see people saying we didn't get enough? We got a draft pick and cap savings for a guy who would be 2nd or 3rd string, (due to the fact they traded him). So how would not trading him and keeping him as a non starter at 6 million a better idea?
You are assuming that our line is going to remain healthy...correct?
check the injury histories of the 5 players that are "starters"....who would you assume plays 16 games in 2017?

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Love Brockers....let me get that out there...Love what he does...sorta like a Hankins/porkchop kinda guy..does the dirty work. But he was the 6th pick, correct? Top 10 picks need to be all pro types...Not just solid...if you only see solid players in that area, you should trade back. JMO

Nah wasn't he like 15th? We traded back and still got him. I'll look it up haha

Edit: he was the 14th pick of his draft

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
My guess is they didn't want to invest the time in teaching GR proper technique. He was too far behind and it would take away what little time they have for the rest of the OL. Cap savings and freeing up a roster spot also played into it.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
A 6th rounder, is basically nothing...IMO

https://www.si.com/nfl/photo/2017/01/11/nfl-draft-all-sixth-round-team-tom-brady

We present our starting lineup of the best sixth-round picks from 2000–16.

QB: Tom Brady
RB: Alfred Morris
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Pierre Garcon
TE: Delanie Walker
OT: Jeromey Clary
OT: Charlie Johnson
G: Chris Myers
G: Matt Slauson

C: Jason Kelce

DE: Greg Hardy
DE: Robaire Smith
DT: Ahtyba Rubin
DT: Corey Williams
LB: Adalius Thomas
LB: Dhani Jones
LB: Danny Trevathan
CB: Jason McCourty
CB: Byron Maxwell
S: Antoine Bethea
S: Yeremiah Bell

P: Andy Lee
K: Neil Rackers

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I agree which means 3 of the 5 starters on the oline weren't brought in by Fisher/Snead
Defies all logic...
If I'm not mistaken only two of the starters mentioned by Soul Surfer were not on the team Last year! So 3 of the 5 where brought in by Fisher/Snead.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If I'm not mistaken only two of the starters mentioned by Soul Surfer were not on the team Last year! So 3 of the 5 where brought in by Fisher/Snead.
Saffold was pre Fisher, Whitworth and Sullivan post Fisher.

WestCoastRam

Legend
Not a huge fan of Jason Cole but his tweet is damning and wouldn't be surprised if it's true. Sounds like GRob was a nice kid but immature and not willing to put in the work necessary.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This might be the best thing for him. A change of scenery may do him some good. The dude was a mauler, and I was sure hoping that he'd find a place on this team. But it was just never meant to be.
Best thing for the team too

Memphis Ram

Legend
Cap move. I guess Donald's contract is about done. Otherwise, to get next to nothing for him, they might as well have waited until towards the end of training camp in case they suffer a rash of injuries.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
To think they could have Mack and Donald on the same D.

Mack was my favorite player in that draft. I admit that I was not sold on Donald though.

Drafting for need with a top ten pick is not a great idea. They needed an OLT. GRob was very limited in experience and proof. Lewan had character issues and was a dick. Matthews had physical limitations. So pass on them all!

To think of the possibilities with those two high selections and they fucked it up. That was a deep draft. They would have been better off trading the pick. Leave it to Fisher to turn a second overall into a 6th.

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I still don't get that move.

L to R;
Whitworth
Saffold
Sullivan
Brown
Havenstein

Game day active G/C;
Eldrenkamp.

Game day active T/G;
Murphy or Williams.
I posted yesterday that the Rams still have a bunch of OL'ers who can play RT with the departure of GRob. Currently it appears Kromer has 2 (Saffold/Havenstein) which will likely start in other OL posts. With GRob gone from the prospects it will fall mostly on the 6-4 330 pound 24 yr old Jamon Brown or the 6-6 310 25 yr old Andrew Donnal. The 3rd candidate is the 6-6 308 23 yr old Pace Murphy. Then finally the 6-4 305 pound 23 yr old Darrell Williams.

Both of these two primary starting RT prospects can play multiple OL posts besides the RT post. Thus whoever looses out as a starter will most likely end up being the very important #6th Ram OL'er. Kromer has 3 interior prospects in Cody Wichmann, Rhaney & Eldrenkamp.One of these interior prospects will be the reserve center behind Sullivan too.

The departure of GRob will change the back up to Andrew Whitworth concern. Besides starting LG Saffold there's not a proven LT here. Pace Murphy & Darrell Williams were long term LT in college. Donnal did finish up 3 quarters @ LT last season & held up well enough but I am unsure as to if he would get any considerations in this critical post. Here's how I see our OL roster @ the moment:

LT- Whitworth/ Murphy
LG- Saffold/ Wichmann
OC- Sullivan/ Rhaney
RG- Havenstein/ Donnal
RT-Brown/ Donnal

Leaving Jake Eldrenkamp OC/OG & Darrell Williams OT as possible Practice Squad members.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Nothing can be done for Greg....6th round picks are....well, 6th round picks.

The only thing we can hope from all of this...is the guy that selected all these 1st round picks...is NOT allowed to select another one.

We don't know how much Fisher may have pushed for GRob. Fisher wanted athletic freaks. He thinks anyone can be coached. So Snead delivered.

McVay wanted productive football players with high character, Snead delivered again.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

looking at the big picture we're kind of lucky he did bust. if he was a good player the rams would have been a little better and fisher would still be the coach. sometimes bad things have to happen for the team to better itself. i'll trade this coaching staff for grob busting and fisher plus his cronies packing their bags every day of the week.

Sooo no pain no gain.