Goff or not Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
What do I want to see? (1) Okay maybe for the first time in history to see the 9ers win. (2) To see the punk ass Joseph carted off the field. (3) To show the world the QB Goff is when the defense puts pressure on him. (4) To see Cambell on the sideline, late in the game, with that look on his face like he just found out someone else has been screwing his wife. (5) Finally, to see both teams get physically beat up.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The hand-it-off-alot/dink and dunk/5 yard slant bowl this weekend.

The QB who gets behind on the scoreboard will have to make big boy plays at some point.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
As Jared Goff prepares to face the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship this weekend, the Detroit Lions quarterback isn’t concerned with Skip Bayless.

Goff joined 97.1 The Ticket in Detroit for his weekly spot with midday hosts Doug Karsch and Scott Anderson Tuesday. Toward the end of the interview, the quarterback was asked whether bulletin material matters to the team.
“Depends what it is, whatd’ya got?” Goff asked. But before Karsch could even finish uttering the name “Skip Bayless,” Goff quickly dismissed the FS1 debate host.

“Nah, I don’t care about anything he says,” Goff said garnering a laugh from the Detroit radio show. “You can stop now. Anything those guys say on daytime TV, you can skip over that.”
https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/jared-goff-question-skip-bayless.html

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No way I will root for the Kneecaps under any circumstances.

I don't hate Goof, but I'm not a member of his fan girls like many people here.

There was a reason he's no longer a Ram.

And it was him leading the league in turnovers for two years in a row.

Not just the INTs, but the fumbles that happened every time he'd get hit that don't show up on the stat sheet.
for me , it was that awesome display of 3 pts vs old england. wide open targets being ignored, FO fault for not having a high quality backup for Todd Gurley. what he *(goff)* did do , is help bring stafford here to win a super bowl by scoring more than the opponent (and losing a top wide receiver before half time and then having refs blow basic pass interference calls for td's .

0311rams

RomandeacondikersonwarnerStafforddonaldkupp
Name
Madrid311
Hate the 9ers. don't want them going to a Superbowl. former ram winning the Superbowl is ok with me. either McVay was right or maybe he pulled the plug to soon on Goff. we will see Sunday. Go rams. 24

Ellard80

Legend
Definitely don't want the 49ners to win.

I don't like the Shanny dick sucking - it comes from our posters sometimes also.

I want him to fail for this reason.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Hate the 9ers. don't want them going to a Superbowl. former ram winning the Superbowl is ok with me. either McVay was right or maybe he pulled the plug to soon on Goff. we will see Sunday. Go rams. 24

I'm one of Goff's bigger defenders on this board, but looking back, I still think the trade was justified. We had a window open and we needed a guy who could win it for us right now, not someone for whom some repair work was needed. We can debate all we want on why that repair work was needed (and I have some strong opinions on that), but it was what it was.

And there was a guy who was available like Stafford, who can make what I refer to as "unreasonable" throws. A guy like Goff can make all of the throws you would reasonably expect an NFL QB to make. But Stafford, along with about two other guys (Mahomes and Allen) can make throws that no NFL scout reasonably expects a QB to make, but they do it anyway.

What I do hope that McVay takes away from this is a lesson on how to handle QBs and how to get them over the hump when they struggle, as almost all young ones will from time to time. He was lucky that Stafford was available when things went south with Goff, but it's very rare that a QB like that ever becomes available once in the league. McVay has already said he regrets now how things went down with the trade, and I hope he learns from what led up to necessitating it in the first place.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm one of Goff's bigger defenders on this board, but looking back, I still think the trade was justified.
I think how things appeared was not great, but the move was absolutely justified.
I think the fact that if the Rams didnt get him, he likely would have been a 49er alone made the trade justified

JimY53

Pro Bowler
Name
JY53
I'm one of Goff's bigger defenders on this board, but looking back, I still think the trade was justified.

Both things can be true -- Goff was/is a good QB and that Stafford is better, even with his flaws.

Your take is pretty much how I see it as well.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I think how things appeared was not great, but the move was absolutely justified.
I think the fact that if the Rams didnt get him, he likely would have been a 49er alone made the trade justified

That would have been absolutely horrible if that had happened, because Rat Boy could do well with a QB like that. That was my biggest fear when people were clamoring to simply cut him. Can you imagine how terrible that would have looked given the 49ers regular season domination over us (especially had we not gotten a guy like Stafford)? It could have been a career killer for McVay.

dang

Legend
It’s pretty simple for me:
#1 objective is for the Rams to win every single game they play.
#2 objective is for the 69ers to lose every single game they play.
Everything else is fun but much lower on the list.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was my biggest fear when people were clamoring to simply cut him
Ah yes, if fans/posters could run the team, how differently it would be
Sure, they would have drafted Creed Humphrey over Tutu Atwell, but on the other hand they'd be billions over the salary cap, traded their picks for the next 10 years and be on the 3rd or 4th head coach this year alone

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That's... not an accurate description of either offense. Or QB, for that matter.
So what you’re saying is?
I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but my take is that neither offense leans heavily on their QB to make big plays/throws downfield or to even carry the team.

Run first, often run second, avoid 3rd and long at all costs and don’t put your QB in a position to have to stand in and throw wow balls 25 yds downfield.

That’s good coaching for these two teams actually. You run an offense that fits your strengths and weaknesses.

That’s not the Rams offense. Buffalo, KC, Green Bay, Cincy also come to mind. I wouldn’t describe these offenses as “close to the vest” per se.

DET and SF I would put into that category.

You disagree?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would only add that just because an offense is close to the vest or run first etc, being uber efficient doesn’t mean it is boring or can’t score a ton of points. DET and SF are very good at what they do.

SWAdude

And don't call me Shirley
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
John
How are we even having this discussion?

Goff plays for the Lionettes. Dude is gone. For good.

WHINERS are universally hated for several legitimate good reasons. How on earth does one begin to reconcile that?

The Lionettes are a dirty team high on my shit list now. It starts with their bountygate from their HC.

FUCK the WHINERS.

The Ravens will take care of the Lionettes.

WestCoastRam

Legend
It’s pretty simple for me:
#1 objective is for the Rams to win every single game they play.
#2 objective is for the 69ers to lose every single game they play.
Everything else is fun but much lower on the list.
I love this sentiment but am bummed you would besmirch my love for 69!

WestCoastRam

Legend
So what you’re saying is?
I don’t want to put words in your mouth, but my take is that neither offense leans heavily on their QB to make big plays/throws downfield or to even carry the team.

Run first, often run second, avoid 3rd and long at all costs and don’t put your QB in a position to have to stand in and throw wow balls 25 yds downfield.

That’s good coaching for these two teams actually. You run an offense that fits your strengths and weaknesses.

That’s not the Rams offense. Buffalo, KC, Green Bay, Cincy also come to mind. I wouldn’t describe these offenses as “close to the vest” per se.

DET and SF I would put into that category.

You disagree?
It's all good. What I'm saying is literal. We could get into a long discussion of how these offenses operate but you mentioned dink and dunk, slants and hand it off a lot. I'd say hand it off a lot may come closest to approximating either one of these offenses but they both have mid range and deep passes in plethora in their offenses and I don't believe either uses slants that much (Barely even).

This is a small sample size below but I think Detroit does a very good job mixing up run and pass in a way your description above denies, especially passing on what has been traditionally running down. I think calling them hand it off a lot just doesn't approximate what they do on a down to down basis. I think that could be more true for the 9ers.

To return to the passing game, not a ton of dink and dunk there. Both offenses run in breakers a crazy amount and most of those are 12-20 yards down the field not to mention the Lions trusting Goff to hit some outs (far past 5 yards) and Shanahan having Purdy do it (though I hold my breath when he does).

View: https://twitter.com/SharpFootball/status/1749202402895421618

Perhaps someone with greater knowledge of the 9ers and Lions offense has better info?

Last edited: