Goff or not Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Up there with EWBD and lemon filled...

dang

Legend
Goff is a top 10 NFL QB right now. No more. No less.
Stafford is a top 10 NFL QB right now. But give him a premier OL and a third receiver weapon and he’s likely a top 3. Plus he’s an assassin when it’s go time.

Tano

Legend
Goff is a top 10 NFL QB right now. No more. No less.
Stafford is a top 10 NFL QB right now. But give him a premier OL and a third receiver weapon and he’s likely a top 3. Plus he’s an assassin when it’s go time.
I agree completely with this assessment

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
You don't have to tell me that. I have always been a Goff guy, but I also came to realize that he does have limitations. Detroit has maybe the best OL in the league and when he is protected he can pick a team apart.

However, when he is pressured he can be downright bad, worse than most QB's. Put it this way, on one of the few plays where the Rams pressured Goff, he inexplicably tossed the ball backwards to his RT...Yikes!

Look at Goff vs the Ravens this yr and then Stafford vs the Ravens.

I would also say switch QBs in our playoff game, Stafford on the Lions and Goff on the Rams, and that game wouldn't have been close. Goff would not have held up against the pressure that Stafford was under as the Rams QB in that game.

Also, it is clear to me that Goff never pulls off those 3 last second wins in the playoffs in 21'...he just doesn't. Not with that poor run game and a very avg OL.
Nice post and agreed on all. Btw what was particularly painful with Goff was that all of us were "Goff guys" at one point or another in time. I didn't start to see him clearly, which is to say his limitations, until after that Super Bowl loss.

And the issue with him is simply that there are a lot of QBs who can do the job when they have protections and a top run game. Which means you have to ask yourself "well then why would I pay him top money."

But he's got some great skills for sure. When he's in the zone and has protections he's something to watch. I'll always savor that Vikings game, one of the best outings I've ever seen by a QB. But we don't win that Super Bowl with Goff. And if Stafford had that line and run game and we had Goff in that recent playoff loss we would have gotten our asses beat instead of a close loss that could have been a win. It is what it is and I am still surprised there are fans who haven't achieved perspective with him still.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Nice post and agreed on all. Btw what was particularly painful with Goff was that all of us were "Goff guys" at one point or another in time. I didn't start to see him clearly, which is to say his limitations, until after that Super Bowl loss.

And the issue with him is simply that there are a lot of QBs who can do the job when they have protections and a top run game. Which means you have to ask yourself "well then why would I pay him top money."

But he's got some great skills for sure. When he's in the zone and has protections he's something to watch. I'll always savor that Vikings game, one of the best outings I've ever seen by a QB. But we don't win that Super Bowl with Goff. And if Stafford had that line and run game and we had Goff in that recent playoff loss we would have gotten our asses beat instead of a close loss that could have been a win. It is what it is and I am still surprised there are fans who haven't achieved perspective with him still.
Yep, his main strength is his accuracy when he has time, but also his character. Because despite him getting a little squirrely on a play where he is pressured, he does have the moxy to comeback from a bad game, ignore criticism, and go back out and perform. He just can't avoid pressure and when pressured on a given play, he coughs up the big fumble or throws the INT.