Goff or not Goff?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is a silly response.
Goff had a better day throwing the ball than Purdy yesterday.
The difference between the two.. and what won the 9ers the game, was Purdy's ability to run.

If Jared's WRs caught the ball as well as he threw it, the Lions would've won yesterday. Easily.
I don't think it's a silly response. I don't think you're approaching this without bias though. Yes if the wide receivers didn't drop 3 passes they probably win this game. If Goff doesn't overthrow laporta and Gibbs in the end zone they also probably win. The idea that Goff was on fire minus 3 drops is not accurate

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I don't think it's a silly response. I don't think you're approaching this without bias though. Yes if the wide receivers didn't drop 3 passes they probably win this game. If Goff doesn't overthrow laporta and Gibbs in the end zone they also probably win. The idea that Goff was on fire minus 3 drops is not accurate
Where did I say "on fire?"

Strawman right there, my friend. He was better throwing the ball than Purdy is what I said and that's absolutely true.

No bias.. Purdy threw at least three int-worthy passes.. I didn't see Goff make any. And Purdy's longest reception of the day should've been an interception.

Who's approaching this with bias?

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where did I say "on fire?"

Strawman right there, my friend. He was better throwing the ball than Purdy is what I said and that's absolutely true.

No bias.. Purdy threw at least three int-worthy passes.. I didn't see Goff make any. And Purdy's longest reception of the day should've been an interception.

Who's approaching this with bias?
Look at the original comment I was replying too though. "purdy had a lucky long ball while Goff's receivers were dropping balls." The point of my response was to say that Goff wasn't just let down by his receivers, but that he had some crucial misses himself. The previous comment made it sound like purdy had all the luck and Goff was just a victim of everything outside himself. I was just adding that context. If you agree that Goff wasn't on fire then I'd guess that you agree with that context? I guess anyways. Don't wanna assume.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Look at the original comment I was replying too though. "purdy had a lucky long ball while Goff's receivers were dropping balls." The point of my response was to say that Goff wasn't just let down by his receivers, but that he had some crucial misses himself. The previous comment made it sound like purdy had all the luck and Goff was just a victim of everything outside himself. I was just adding that context. If you agree that Goff wasn't on fire then I'd guess that you agree with that context? I guess anyways. Don't wanna assume.
When I comes to passing?

Goff was significantly better.
Purdy’s best gain should’ve been an INT. Another INT dropped.

I can’t remember Goff having any.. I may be wrong.

So, yes… Purdy was lucky compared to Goff… before you even factor in 3 drops.

If Goff was throwing deep to Aiyuk instead of Jameson.. touchdown.. for example.

But Purdy’s legs were the thing that made the difference.

Ellard80

Legend
both QBs played average I thought....

The difference as Kupped said.. Purdy had 48 yards rushing and at crucial moments.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When I comes to passing?

Goff was significantly better.
Purdy’s best gain should’ve been an INT. Another INT dropped.

I can’t remember Goff having any.. I may be wrong.

So, yes… Purdy was lucky compared to Goff… before you even factor in 3 drops.

If Goff was throwing deep to Aiyuk instead of Jameson.. touchdown.. for example.

But Purdy’s legs were the thing that made the difference.
Definitely agree there. Goff was the superior passer. I suppose what got lost in translation for me is, I thought it was being suggested that the lions loss came down to the receivers and nothing to do with Goff himself. I can say without a doubt that the niners would be far more dangerous with Goff than purdy though, for sure.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I found myself rooting for the Niners
UjB1.gif

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I found myself rooting for the Niners more so due to playoff fantasy leagues I was in but also deep down I realized I did not want to see Goff or Detroit make it to the big game. I will now get to root against the Niners with all my heart in 2 weeks.

That's like rooting for Japan and Germany in WWII.

Ramon Ram

Starter
That's like rooting for Japan and Germany in WWII.
I said it was financially motivated but still didn't want the Lions there this year. F their fans and their cheap hit that was celebrated. I will again be rooting hard for KC as there will be no financial impediments.
And I wasn't even born when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor.

Ewe83

Mama's got a new baby boy
I guess if nothing else these playoffs have allowed me to be ready to finally put the whole Goff thing to bed, I've known for awhile now that the trade was the right move, in the moment, but I don't have to wonder now if given more time it might have been better to keep him. I certainly don't blame him for yesterday's loss but it helped me to be over it now. I'm grateful for his time as a Ram, I wish him well but I'm glad we have Stafford, end of story.

DeaconJones

Rookie
The Lions road playoff win concept remains a mythical creature in my lifetime. I thought Goff played as good as Goff can play. The drops and field goal decisions hurt them a lot. But on the last 4th down play where Goff rolled right, he under-threw his receiver. He probably had time to set his feet before throwing that. In that instance, having a mega-arm to be able to flick the ball would have served him well. OTOH, the receiver could have come back to Goff a bit and sat down to give him an easier throw.

For Purdy on the helmut-bonk throw, wasn't there going to be a PI call anyway?

Tano

Legend
I see a few people on here who really dislike Goff's ability to get to the Super Bowl.

Well as I see it there are a few QBs out there considered as a top 10 QB who can't get their team to the SB and played 10 times worse than Goff did in the championship game

Two of them off the top of my head

Dak and Lamar - both have a history of playing terrible in playoff games. Josh Allen probably could but KC has their number in the playoffs.

Right now - the only current QB that consistently plays well in the playoffs is Mahomes

I would also put Stafford up there for that one year and he almost made the plays this year.

Burrows was one and done. Hurtz - he had 5 seconds to throw when he took the Eagles and what did he do this year

Purdy didn't get his team to the super bowl - his supporting cast is awesome and all he has to do is not mess up and make a couple plays (nothing like what Stafford and Mahomes can do).

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I see a few people on here who really dislike Goff's ability to get to the Super Bowl.

Well as I see it there are a few QBs out there considered as a top 10 QB who can't get their team to the SB and played 10 times worse than Goff did in the championship game

Two of them off the top of my head

Dak and Lamar - both have a history of playing terrible in playoff games. Josh Allen probably could but KC has their number in the playoffs.

Right now - the only current QB that consistently plays well in the playoffs is Mahomes

I would also put Stafford up there for that one year and he almost made the plays this year.

Burrows was one and done. Hurtz - he had 5 seconds to throw when he took the Eagles and what did he do this year

Purdy didn't get his team to the super bowl - his supporting cast is awesome and all he has to do is not mess up and make a couple plays (nothing like what Stafford and Mahomes can do).

Sure - Purdy only led his team to NFC Championship his first 2 years.The Eagles game he gets hurt,if not he’s probably 2 for 2 going to the Superbowl.

His number 1 stat of passing for first downs is impressive.He keeps plays a live better than Stafford.

Jared Goff got The Rams to the Superbowl.Lions loss was on Dan Cambell.