Demoff on Fisher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I might agree with the making money thing for Kronke if he didn't own a bunch of other pro teams. The football guys on the Rams want to win as much as anyone else in the league. It's coming.

I don't want it to be coming. I want it to be here. It's always "coming." Fisher had 5 years to make it happen. That's an eternity in the NFL. He failed.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Tell me what you know about the negotiations that the Rams had with Hue Jackson. Who else did they have in for a talk, did they get an offer? Do you have some inside information or just speculation?

Are you saying they even opened negotiations? I seriously doubt it. Fisher was given piles and piles of cash to get the assistants he wanted in 2012. He was coming into a situation in which he had what was then thought to be a franchise QB in the making in Bradford, with a boatload of draft picks on the way from the impending trade of the 2nd pick of the draft. Franchise QB (even if only perceived) + boatload of draft capital = desirable situation for just about any coach, head or assistant.

If he didn't land Hue Jackson, it's for one of two reasons, if not both:

1) Fisher decided against hiring him because he didn't like the way Hue wanted to run the offense; and/or
2) Hue didn't like the way Fisher wanted him to run the offense.

Instead, the Rams ended up with the risk averse and compliant Brian Schottenheimer. That's on Fisher and nobody else.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
You getting upset at the rationale isn't the same thing as there being no rationale. You can look beyond the win-loss record. But I won't. It's been 5 years. Most coaches don't get more than 3. The excuses stopped mattering to me after 4 years. I gave him 4 years. That was more than fair.

I don't care if he was trying. He failed. I am sure Spagnuolo tried damn hard to not be a bad head coach. He still was a bad head coach. You don't get points for effort.

We shouldn't have to "think" after 5 years that he got it right. We should KNOW. But that's not even the problem here. The problem isn't whether Goff is the right guy or not. The problem is that Fisher couldn't luck his way into even a .500 season without a franchise QB. That means he's not a good football coach. That's not a guy I want to saddle Goff with.

Because if he got it right (and I believe he did), we owe Goff the duty to surround him with the best possible supporting cast. That includes the best possible coaching staff. Fisher isn't that. It shouldn't be Goff's job to carry Fisher and justify keep his mediocrity around here.

I would argue that most franchise QBs carry most head coaches but that's another story.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
We call them like we see them. If you're not fed up with a coach after him posting a losing season in each of his first 5 seasons, you have the patience of a saint. If you also don't recognize that he has failed to get the job done (especially when he has the final say over all personnel moves), you aren't accepting what's right in front of your face.

Yea of course I'm fed up with losing. But I'm also fed up with changing head coaches and having to start all over. So in my eyes I see a Defense that has improved over the years and an offense that needs a field general to guide them to greener pastures and we could potentially have him now.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
The thing that bugs me is when the ones who want to keep fisher are called crazy or delusional.
Lets see:
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/delusional
Definition of delusion
  1. 1: the act of deluding : the state of being deluded

2. 2 a : something that is falsely or delusively believed or propagated
    b : a persistent false psychotic belief regarding the self or persons or objects outside the self that is maintained despite indisputable evidence to the contrary; also : the abnormal state marked by such beliefs

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/crazy

Definition of crazy
crazier
craziest

1. 1a : full of cracks or flaws : unsound <they were very crazy, wretched cabins — Charles Dickens>b : crooked, askew

2. 2a : mad, insane <yelling like a crazy man>b (1) : impractical <a crazy plan> (2) : erratic <crazy drivers>c : being out of the ordinary : unusual <a taste for crazy hats>

3. 3a : distracted with desire or excitement <a thrill-crazy mob>b : absurdly fond : infatuated <he's crazy about the girl>c : passionately preoccupied : obsessed <crazy about boats>
crazily
play \-zə-lē\ adverb
craziness
play \-zē-nəs\ noun
like crazy
  1. : to an extreme degree <everyone dancing like crazy>

definitely more delusional than crazy in my expert opinion:sneaky:....:neener::dizzy:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...nead-deals-may-have-one-year-void-provisions/

New Jeff Fisher, Les Snead deals may have one-year void provisions
Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2016

590478004-e1480543847846.jpg
Getty Images

With the Rams five games away from concluding the five-year contract signed in 2012 by coach Jeff Fisher, league insiders continue to suggest that Fisher already has a new deal in place, along with G.M. Les Snead.

As one league source explained it to PFT, the theory/hypothesis/rumor currently making the rounds is that the contracts will cover multiple years, but will give the Rams the ability to void the contracts after one year.

If true, this means that the deals will actually be one-year Band-Aids masquerading as multi-year deals, giving the Rams the flexibility to cancel the arrangements without financial penalty after 2017.

The Rams consistently have said that there is no update regarding the contracts of Fisher and Snead, both of whom will become free agents absent new contracts. Recent comments from COO Kevin Demoff have been interpreted as a strong hint that Fisher will indeed be back.

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Tell me what you know about the negotiations that the Rams had with Hue Jackson. Who else did they have in for a talk, did they get an offer? Do you have some inside information or just speculation?

bart i'm just curious if fisher is fired would you like the new coach to get a 6 year contract. myself I would prefer a 3 year deal. then extend if things are headed in the right direction.

Is there anywhere on the net to read some positive comments about the team? There seems to be millions of coaches who have all the answers. I have yet to see a coach run the ball. or throw a pass, I coached for 18 years, and had 5 league championships. When I had the players, I won. A coach's motivation can do only a bit. Give the coaches a break! Stop complaining, and enjoy the effort in games, or become a Patriots' fan.

FRO

Legend
Fisher and Snead picked 12 offensive players in the top 100. 4 of those in the top 10. Spent big money on Wells, Cook, Long. Traded for Foles. Had 3 different coordinators. Had 2 QBs selected 1st overall. All of that and the offense is ranked 32nd. Year 6 won't improve. If Demoff thinks retaining Fisher is a good idea, then I suggest Demoff needs replaced.

FRO

Legend
Is there anywhere on the net to read some positive comments about the team? There seems to be millions of coaches who have all the answers. I have yet to see a coach run the ball. or throw a pass, I coached for 18 years, and had 5 league championships. When I had the players, I won. A coach's motivation can do only a bit. Give the coaches a break! Stop complaining, and enjoy the effort in games, or become a Patriots' fan.
4 winning seasons in the last 27 years. The last time the team made the playoffs George W Bush was in his first term. Fans are tired of it. They are even more frustrated after the golden opportunity Fisher and Snead squandered. I don't know if I've ever seen Rams fans so downtrodden. This is a fan base that survived 15-65.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter

Always appreciate positiveness. In fact, it's my favorite attribute in my fellow human beings. But in any Rams forum, lo these many years, it's like rolling a ball up a hill and having it roll back down on you, day after day. Welcome to ROD.

583f627f6c9e3052773345.gif

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Probably not. Teams that haven't posted a winning season in the past decade and are currently 4-7 don't tend to have a lot of positive things said about them.

I'm not giving the coaches a break. They had 5 years to get it right. They had 5 years to get the players.

You coached for 18 years. Surely, you saw football coaches who weren't good at their job and caused their team to underachieve as a result. That's exactly what's happening now.

Yea of course I'm fed up with losing. But I'm also fed up with changing head coaches and having to start all over. So in my eyes I see a Defense that has improved over the years and an offense that needs a field general to guide them to greener pastures and we could potentially have him now.

There is no starting over. Changing head coaches doesn't mean cutting everybody on the team. It isn't like 2011 or 2008. We don't have a roster full of old has-beens and draft busts.

I'll give Fisher the credit for putting a team together that is right on the cusp of making the playoffs. The problem is that he can't get them over the hump. That's why he needs to be replaced. The 49ers recognized the same thing with Mike Singletary. They fired him and hired Jim Harbaugh. It worked out pretty darn well for them (until Yorke and Baalke blew it all up).

We're doing Goff a disservice if we saddle him with Fisher.

I would argue that most franchise QBs carry most head coaches but that's another story.

They carry some coaches. But the best teams have a coach and franchise QB who complement each other.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Or it shows that fans are quicker to recognize when something is wrong than NFL teams.

I've watched this team over the past decade. You're not about to sell me on the fans being any worse than some of the people we've had in charge.

Come on Jrry. Fans aren't quicker to recognize. They are just not bound by anything other than their fandom so they can spout off about firing people or making changes with no REAL consequences if they are wrong. That makes them right when they call for someone to be fired? Not in any reality. Do they see more than the organization at any given time? Not in any reality. Can they be right at times? The saying about a blind mouse comes to mind.

I'm not saying the fans are wrong about wanting Fisher replaced. I'm also not saying they are right in that it couldn't be either worse or that there is no way we are actually about to turn the corner. I have my assumptions and that includes not liking the trends I see. But I also don't put much stock in the idea that I or anyone else on here actually knows what they are talking about.

I get the want to win. The losing kills me. But put me in the camp with @Young Ram, @blackbart , @Ramlock and many others in that it is not out of the realm of possibility that the very staff many want fired, can turn it around and that it is possible we don't see all that is really going on that gives the Rams confidence that the product will get better - maybe even far better.

I've watched other franchises. I've seen them suck year after year and some catch fire a couple times. I understand when fans get restless. They are fans. We get up like we ourselves won something when our teams do well. We crash hard when we see our team play like they have all too often.

I'm a Rams fan. I won't ever be a fan of another NFL team. Unfortunately, that has meant taking the awful with the bad lately. Personally, I don't care what they do as long as it results in more wins and us getting to the post season with a chance to win it all. But I won't act like they would be perennial champs if they had only listened to me. I know this is a tough business. Many teams haven't sniffed the post season even though they act like fans and fire everyone after a few years. Some teams have made it to the playoffs a few times over the past decade even though they are still a mess. A few teams are seemingly always in it. Congrats to them and their fans. I hope thorough steadying the ship, we can be one of them.

Personally, I think the methodology has been strong with this regime. The results in terms of wins and losses have not been there. That sucks for us fans and everyone involved in the organization. Is that a result of bad coaching? It could very well be. From my view it appears so. And I'm ok with the idea of changing the staff but I don't want to see them go back to the methodology of too many other teams (including our own GSOT teams) that happened to catch lightning in a bottle in spite of methodology rather than because of it.

So fire Fisher, keep Fisher, clean house, move Fisher to an admin role, whatever. Just find a winning methodology and stick with it. To me, the base methods they are using make sense. But I'm a fan which means I really don't know for sure.

FRO

Legend
Don't mean to be piling on here, but I think this is the biggest football reason to cut bait with Fisher now. Say you extend Fisher. Fisher can't go into next year with the same offensive coordinator. So he brings a new coordinator in. The team does the normal Fisher things during the season and go 7-9. Fisher gets fired. New coach comes in and brings their new staff in. That puts Goff in his 3rd year with his 3rd offensive coordinator. Sound familiar. You cannot ruin yet another young talented QB. Give the kid a chance with a HC that can develop him.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Welcome aboard.

Right now it is difficult to find. There are several positive takes here even when we are losing. Unfortunately, there is a feeling by many that a rug has been ripped from under foot. I think many had high expectations in years 3, 4, and 5 under Fisher.

So spend some time here. You will find probably the most positive comments of any other board even though that is painfully too infrequent with the performance of the team.

I have been a fan of this team since '67. This kind of grief has been there before. Without the internet it just wasn't as easy to find.

Cheers man.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
There is no starting over. Changing head coaches doesn't mean cutting everybody on the team. It isn't like 2011 or 2008. We don't have a roster full of old has-beens and draft busts.

I'll give Fisher the credit for putting a team together that is right on the cusp of making the playoffs. The problem is that he can't get them over the hump. That's why he needs to be replaced. The 49ers recognized the same thing with Mike Singletary. They fired him and hired Jim Harbaugh. It worked out pretty darn well for them (until Yorke and Baalke blew it all up).

We're doing Goff a disservice if we saddle him with Fisher.

Start over as in the philosophy changes, the draft strategy changes, the way the team operates changes. You want bring up Haurbaugh and yea he did a heck of a job but look at his drafts. Very poor. So this talented team can easily contend for a year or 3 but be back to
mediocre or worse.

They carry some coaches. But the best teams have a coach and franchise QB who complement each other.

My point was that if you take away the franchise QB of winning teams, very few coaches would be able to pull off a winning season with backups.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Neither. C'mon man... you don't know the one about the blind mouse that finds an offense?