Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Proctor and Gamble thanks you for the revenue though.

Obviously being clean is the way to go. There are way too many people who won’t wash their hands on a regular basis. As a younger man I worked in grocery stores and I never walked by a hand sink without using it. Hopefully this will change the way people go through life, but people have a way of dashing hopes.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I just got my haircut after 4 long ass months.

I ain't scurrred. And it feels soooo good.

Still not open in New York...I'm an old military guy that now I like to get it cut every three weeks and my last one was the ides of March. After referring to myself as a hippie multiple times, my wife took the clippers out and gave me a haircut on our deck. She focused more on the back & sides and did a great job shaving the neck too.

The top needs a professional twist, but desperate times call for desperate measures. At this point I would pay $150 for a haircut.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Oldschool, when the ladies get back, don’t get a Karen haircut.

May look okay on the page, but never in person...

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, I’d have to disagree with you about disagreeing. :ROFLMAO:

Yes, we should come together in a crisis. OTOH, when there has been a spectacular failure of leadership causing tens of thousands of unnecessary deaths, this should not be swept under the rug.

South Korea, with a densely packed population of 52 M, has had a grand total of 263 Covid deaths. The USA, with a population of 330 M, has had far more deaths than any other country, at over 90,000 and climbing. Perhaps it’s important to note and understand why S Korea is doing so well, and the USA so poorly?

And it’s not the case that “there was no way to be prepared for this.” The previous administration left behind a detailed 69-page document entitled“Playbook for Early Response to High-Consequence Emerging Infectious Disease Threats and Biological Incidents.” Sadly, the current administration completely ignored it.

Thankfully this is not the worst pandemic the world has seen... very far from it. Below is a good graphic to show the relative sizes of pandemics throughout history. And yes, the Black Plague was a doozy.

View attachment 36607

Lastly, I will agree with your Abe Lincoln quote and your concern about extreme polarization. But when it comes to gross incompetence, this needs to be called out IMHO.
Yup, blame is the easy way. Thanks for confirming my point

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Yup, blame is the easy way. Thanks for confirming my point
Fair enough. I will concede your main point that placing blame is much easier than finding a solution. IMHO, finding a solution to this mess is extremely difficult, with no good options, only less bad ones.

However....

Let's put Abe Lincoln's quote ("A house divided against itself cannot stand') in context. His quote does NOT mean "can't we all just figure out a way to get along?" No, quite the opposite. His quote means we have to recognize that one side is completely right, and the other is completely wrong. We've got to choose which way to go. (Like OldSchool, I too am a big fan of Doris Kearns Goodwin's book, "Team of Rivals"). Here's the full context of his speech, which he delivered in 1858, about three years before the start of the Civil War:

"A house divided against itself cannot stand." I believe the government cannot endure permanently half slave and half free. I do not expect the Union to be dissolved — I do not expect the house to fall — but I do expect it will cease to be divided. It will become all one thing or all the other. Either the opponents of slavery will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction; or its advocates will push it forward till it shall become alike lawful in all the States, old as well as new — North as well as South."
With the benefit of over a hundred years of hindsight, I think we can all agree the Confederates were completely wrong about slavery. It's evil and barbaric.

By the same token, a hundred years from now, it will be obvious who was right and who was wrong about our current debates. IMHO, one central debate we are having as a society is about science. We can either choose to embrace it or dismiss it. Regarding existential threats like climate change or viral pandemics, we can either accept the difficult realities of science-based solutions, or stick our heads in the sand and just hope for the best.

So yes, I appreciate your point about needing to come together during a crisis. And I agree with you that polarization can get in the way of problem solving. But on the other hand, I feel there is a moral obligation to speak out when decisions are made that involve the ignorant dismissal of established science. This type of lethally dangerous ignorance needs to be called out for what it is.

Cheers.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I’m working on an appointment, my place has just two of the ladies back working.

I actually ran into the female barber that does my hair at the market and I told her "Scarecrow, I think I miss you most of all." Of course more then six feet apart donning our masks.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Still not open in New York...I'm an old military guy that now I like to get it cut every three weeks and my last one was the ides of March. After referring to myself as a hippie multiple times, my wife took the clippers out and gave me a haircut on our deck. She focused more on the back & sides and did a great job shaving the neck too.

The top needs a professional twist, but desperate times call for desperate measures. At this point I would pay $150 for a haircut.

Yeah I'd figure different NY would be the last to open up. Back and neck are the worst when it grows, especially in the summer.

I’m working on an appointment, my place has just two of the ladies back working.

That's one thing guys need to do for a while...make an appointment! First time I ever did that, otherwise I'm waiting outside in the heat or in my car.

But today I went to Sports Clips and it was fully staffed, yet no one besides me inside. It was awesome.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Let's put Abe Lincoln's quote ("A house divided against itself cannot stand') in context. His quote does NOT mean "can't we all just figure out a way to get along
No, what he meant was that a house divided against itself could not stand.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I fucking hate my hair, I can't wait to get it cut. They're all closed down, so I don't have an option, it sucks.

oldnotdead

Legend
I'm sure by this time most people have their preferred surface cleaner. Having lived in Mexico for a few years, I bought two bottles of Steramine tablets (100 tabs per bottle). Just dissolve 2 in a gallon of water and you have a solution that when sprayed onto non-absorbant surfaces and simply allowed to air dry will kill germs and many viruses such as HIV and Covid-19. I used it to simply spray down my dishes and cookware after my final rinse (no dishwashing machines in MX) and to sanitize cooking and food prep surfaces. Simply spray on the surface wipe down leaving it damp or slightly wet to air dry. No need to rinse off and I never got sick from contaminated surfaces, dishes or cookware.

Steramine was very inexpensive online and it's the same stuff bars, restaurants, and even hospitals use to sanitize surfaces etc. Sorry I didn't mention it earlier but I been using it for years without thinking about it. The nurse that lives across the street asked me today about what I have been using and when I told her she was surprised and asked me if she could buy a few tabs. I just gave her a bunch in a baggie for all the brownies and cookies she's been giving us. She was very appreciative saying it was better than most OTC stuff because it can be used on food prep surfaces without rising and was better vs viruses than just alcohol alone. That's what prompted this post.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
No, what he meant was that a house divided against itself could not stand.

So then, in practical application, what would that mean for us?

Lincoln was talking slavery and the context of that speech actually is important - he was essentially saying that there could be no compromise (at least in that particular issue) - we were either going to be a slave nation or a free nation - there was no in between.

So - a house divided against itself can not stand. I don’t disagree with the general thought or the sentiment but what do we do with that truth?

Does it mean that we should have less dissent? No dissent? That we should agree for the sake of being agreeable? How do we take this philosophy and actually apply it?

Lets call it what it is - we are more divided than ever - and its getting worse. Is our division something that can be repaired - even if we somehow all agreed that we should? Does it mean that whoever is in power calls the shots and the rest of us should fall in line?

I don’t have answers - just questions - as usual, but to the extent that we actually want to move forward with action and not just platitudes, I think - at some point - we have to decide what kind of nation we want to be. I’m all for radical change - I’m ready to scrap our two party system, declare it as failed, and start fresh. I’m ready to admit that I have been more representative of the problem than the solution. But then what?

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Finally there is a bonus to being bald.

1590071805594.png

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So then, in practical application, what would that mean for us?

Lincoln was talking slavery and the context of that speech actually is important - he was essentially saying that there could be no compromise (at least in that particular issue) - we were either going to be a slave nation or a free nation - there was no in between.

So - a house divided against itself can not stand. I don’t disagree with the general thought or the sentiment but what do we do with that truth?

Does it mean that we should have less dissent? No dissent? That we should agree for the sake of being agreeable? How do we take this philosophy and actually apply it?

Lets call it what it is - we are more divided than ever - and its getting worse. Is our division something that can be repaired - even if we somehow all agreed that we should? Does it mean that whoever is in power calls the shots and the rest of us should fall in line?

I don’t have answers - just questions - as usual, but to the extent that we actually want to move forward with action and not just platitudes, I think - at some point - we have to decide what kind of nation we want to be. I’m all for radical change - I’m ready to scrap our two party system, declare it as failed, and start fresh. I’m ready to admit that I have been more representative of the problem than the solution. But then what?
It means that if the house is divided by its own device, it cant stand.
When we are still talking about placing blame, we are divided. Like now, when after 9 weeks of stay at home orders, we are now finding out that it cant be transmitted on surfaces. We are learning about this every day
Blame gets us nowhere

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It means that if the house is divided by its own device, it cant stand.
When we are still talking about placing blame, we are divided. Like now, when after 9 weeks of stay at home orders, we are now finding out that it cant be transmitted on surfaces. We are learning about this every day
Blame gets us nowhere

Ok - but in order to move forward, we have to have a direction, right? And in calculating the correct direction, we need to have some sense of the right and the wrong things to do. So we need to learn from our and others mistakes and from our and others successes. To that extent, we have to know - at least generally - why America is getting hit harder than everywhere else. In so learning, there will naturally be some finger pointing. "Had we done this differently, if we do this differently, it was a mistake to do this, thank goodness we did this" - that kind of thing. We have to be able to predict what types of behaviors are going to mitigate the damage.

There is blame going all over the place. People blame politicians, federally, state, and locally - they blame the CDC, they blame the media, they blame China, they blame social media - I mean, this is who we are - and the blame culture isn't particularly new.

Maybe we are divided because of the blame culture, but I tend to think the blame culture is magnified because we are so divided. I cant point to the exact moment when it all started - but it seems to be getting progressively worse every year. How would you propose we get past it?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In so learning, there will naturally be some finger pointing
I totally disagree
Its not natural.
Other countries are irrelevant. Thats just a way to finger point and blame. Which brings me back to square 1.
Thanks for making my point

Status
Not open for further replies.