Covid 19 thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I totally disagree
Its not natural.
Other countries are irrelevant. Thats just a way to finger point and blame. Which brings me back to square 1.
Thanks for making my point

How are other countries irrelevant? Its the same virus. You don't think there is value in seeing what techniques are and are not working around the world? Why would we want to ignore that data?

CeeZar

Rookie
why America is getting hit harder than everywhere else.

America is not getting hit harder than everywhere else on a per capita basis. And if you take the NY City metro area out of equation, we are doing quite well in comparison to similar nations - as in not in the top 10 in deaths per capita.

NYC has fucked it up royally. So if you want to know some things NOT to do, look there first. Even now are they requiring masks for people to ride the subway? Its a fucking underground incubation tube. Until very recently, they were still sending confirmed covid-19 patients back to nursing homes. Are you fucking kidding me?

Something like 40% of all deaths in the US due to covid-19 are in the NYC metro area. America has done OK, not great, but OK. NYC has totally fucked it up and is skewing the statistics for the rest of the country.

EastRam

Pro Bowler
It means that if the house is divided by its own device, it cant stand.
When we are still talking about placing blame, we are divided. Like now, when after 9 weeks of stay at home orders, we are now finding out that it cant be transmitted on surfaces. We are learning about this every day
Blame gets us nowhere

Actually the CDC did not say you “can’t” catch Covid-19 from surfaces.

They said it’s not as likely to catch it from your boxes from delivery etc.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Actually the CDC did not say you “can’t” catch Covid-19 from surfaces.

They said it’s not as likely to catch it from your boxes from delivery etc.
They said it’s much less likely to catch it from surfaces than they initially reported.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Other countries are irrelevant.
So, to recap, other countries are irrelevant, no one could have possibly seen this coming, this pandemic is 100 times worse than any other pandemic in history, and no one can blame leaders who ignore science.

Got it.:)

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lots of finger pointing for something that NO ONE knew how to handle...Just sayin.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Complete hyperbole or a massive exaggeration. Shame on you either way.
I was quoting comments from dieterbrock. Those opinions are the complete opposite of mine. That’s why I put “Got It” with the smiley face.

I posted a graphic a couple pages ago which obviously refutes the “100 times worse” claim. There have been a dozen or so pandemics in history which have been more deadly than Covid-19.

Oh, and “complete hyperbole” and “massive exaggeration” are basically the same thing.

Next time, before you get on your high horse and shout “shame on you”, try paying attention first.

Last edited:

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Lots of finger pointing for something that NO ONE knew how to handle...Just sayin.
Yeah, I just don’t get why ppl keep saying this. There were tons of red flags and people warning about this.

Just last year, in 2019, the dept of Health and Human Services ran an exercise called “Crimson Contagion” which exposed some of the weaknesses of the USA’s ability to respond to a viral pandemic. Some of the problems accurately predicted were: testing shortages, supply chain issues for PPE, and problems due to a lack of early coordination re. shelter-in-place orders, social distancing, and school closures.

If anyone hasn’t seen the segment on 60 Minutes about Dr. Bright, I’d recommend it. He and others were ringing the alarm bells throughout January and February, but no one was listening.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=itMzPDUr5Q8

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How are other countries irrelevant? Its the same virus. You don't think there is value in seeing what techniques are and are not working around the world? Why would we want to ignore that data?
Is this a serious question? That data is irrelevant. I'm more concerned with why Florida has low rates considering they ignored most orders, have aged population and re-opened as quickly as possible. There are 48 states continental and 2 of them (which is where I live BTW) make up the majority of the cases. I couldnt care less about other countries, I more interested to know why DC, Chicago and Boston have been affected less then NYC proper

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah, I just don’t get why ppl keep saying this. There were tons of red flags and people warning about this.

Just last year, in 2019, the dept of Health and Human Services ran an exercise called “Crimson Contagion” which exposed some of the weaknesses of the USA’s ability to respond to a viral pandemic. Some of the problems accurately predicted were: testing shortages, supply chain issues for PPE, and problems due to a lack of early coordination re. shelter-in-place orders, social distancing, and school closures.

If anyone hasn’t seen the segment on 60 Minutes about Dr. Bright, I’d recommend it. He and others were ringing the alarm bells throughout January and February, but no one was listening.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=itMzPDUr5Q8

Yup, bad news sells.
And ignorance is bliss.
Covid 19 is unlike any other contagion due to the fact it can take up to 2 weeks for symptoms to appear. There is/was no way to prevent the outbreak. Gloves, masks, testing etc are nothing more than putting band aids on wounds that require 50 stitches

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Is this a serious question? That data is irrelevant. I'm more concerned with why Florida has low rates considering they ignored most orders, have aged population and re-opened as quickly as possible. There are 48 states continental and 2 of them (which is where I live BTW) make up the majority of the cases. I couldnt care less about other countries, I more interested to know why DC, Chicago and Boston have been affected less then NYC proper

Yes - it is a real question. The same way you want to compare the States to learn more about which techniques have worked and which have not applies to other countries. The point is to learn. Why are you interested to know why DC, Chicago and Boston have been less affected than NYC? What is the point of knowing that information if not to learn more about the Virus and how to mitigate its spread? And if it is to learn, why not also learn from London, Milan, Moscow, Rio?

Yup, bad news sells.
And ignorance is bliss.
Covid 19 is unlike any other contagion due to the fact it can take up to 2 weeks for symptoms to appear. There is/was no way to prevent the outbreak. Gloves, masks, testing etc are nothing more than putting band aids on wounds that require 50 stitches

C'mon now. The gloves and the masks and the testing aren't meant to treat the stinking virus, they are to slow down the spread of it. This entire effort - all of the social distancing - the closures, the masks, the gloves - all of this is designed to try to stop this virus from spreading wildly from human to human. That IS the way to prevent an outbreak.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes - it is a real question. The same way you want to compare the States to learn more about which techniques have worked and which have not applies to other countries. The point is to learn. Why are you interested to know why DC, Chicago and Boston have been less affected than NYC? What is the point of knowing that information if not to learn more about the Virus and how to mitigate its spread? And if it is to learn, why not also learn from London, Milan, Moscow, Rio?
Because other countries are irrelevant. Why? Because its apples to oranges. And unless one's head is buried in the sand, they know that. Economic factors, data integrity, import/export etc etc. May as well compare us to the moon. (They have 0 reported cases BTW)
The US numbers are distorted by the NJ/NYC impact, as a whole, the US has done as well as could. Bad news and fear sells. Truth bores the public. The hospitals werent over run, the apocalypse didnt happen. And as much as it sucks that I live right in the middle of it, the worst of it has been somewhat compartmentalized.
The looking back, the political jabs, the blame is all disgusting to me.
I am grateful that our economy was as strong as it was when Covid hit, as financially 'healthy" as could be. I cringe at the thought of what life would be like if this hit when our economy was in the toilet. Alas, good news and positive mindset is just too boring for some

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Because other countries are irrelevant. Why? Because its apples to oranges. And unless one's head is buried in the sand, they know that. Economic factors, data integrity, import/export etc etc. May as well compare us to the moon. (They have 0 reported cases BTW)
The US numbers are distorted by the NJ/NYC impact, as a whole, the US has done as well as could. Bad news and fear sells. Truth bores the public. The hospitals werent over run, the apocalypse didnt happen. And as much as it sucks that I live right in the middle of it, the worst of it has been somewhat compartmentalized.
The looking back, the political jabs, the blame is all disgusting to me.
I am grateful that our economy was as strong as it was when Covid hit, as financially 'healthy" as could be. I cringe at the thought of what life would be like if this hit when our economy was in the toilet. Alas, good news and positive mindset is just too boring for some

Data integrity I'm with you on - I don't believe we can fully trust much of what is being reported by any country - or any state, for that matter.

But isn't comparing state to state also apples to oranges? The States aren't using some common basis for reporting, how Florida is reporting v how Georgia is reporting aren't the same. There has even been reporting of at least one State employee being fired for refusing to "juice the stats" (Florida).

As for hospitals being run over - google Alabama hospitals and see what you find. One of the major driving forces behind social distancing was to try to stop the hospitals from being overrun. Can you imagine what they may have looked like had we not shut things down? And I wouldn't suggest that we are out of the woods just yet on that front.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
The way I see it, no two counties or states are alike. Sparsely populated areas where new cases are small should be allowed to go back to business as usual. Heavily populated areas probably should not. Georgia has reopened for 3 weeks with no spike in cases like the doomsayer media claimed. Still early, but signs are looking good.

The thing is, we're not all gonna agree on whether or not we should lock it down tight or reopen. Opinions on that seem to be divided among political ideologies. Too many people have dug in on that and are searching the internet to find something that supports their opinion. Maybe we should just calm down and live life. The world was supposed to end quite a few times in my lifetime. Hasn't happened yet.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But isn't comparing state to state also apples to oranges
First of all, I didnt say compare, 2nd of all no it isnt.
I said I'm more interested in the other states. Because they have an economic and systemic impact to the rest of the country.
Meanwhile, I continue to applaud the efforts being made here in the US, there are some real heros walking about.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
And I wouldn't suggest that we are out of the woods just yet on that front.

I concur and you already see that in the State of Georgia & Texas where they opened it back up especially with the churches and now they are spiking again. You have to keep your distance and if things open back up, you have to limit participants. The drive in in Fort Worth Texas is an excellent example as they are only allowing 25% capacity and that is how you do things the right way.

You cannot get back to normalcy immediately, you take some steps in phases and I don't care if people like or not, that is how to do it the right way and it will save lives.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
First of all, I didnt say compare, 2nd of all no it isnt.
I said I'm more interested in the other states. Because they have an economic and systemic impact to the rest of the country.
Meanwhile, I continue to applaud the efforts being made here in the US, there are some real heros walking about.

You said

“ I'm more concerned with why Florida has low rates considering they ignored most orders, have aged population and re-opened as quickly as possible. There are 48 states continental and 2 of them (which is where I live BTW) make up the majority of the cases. I couldnt care less about other countries, I more interested to know why DC, Chicago and Boston have been affected less then NYC proper”

But that isn’t comparing?

Btw - we live in a global economy. What happens in other countries does, indeed, affect America on both an economic and systematic level.

Finally, I agree that heroes are among us - too many to mention them all, but certainly the hospital workers, truck drivers, cleaning staff, police, firefighters, jail staff, supermarket staff, the entire food supply chain, Medical equipment manufacturers, scientists, teachers - as I said, too many to name.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But that isn’t comparing?
No
Read much?
This entire effort - all of the social distancing - the closures, the masks, the gloves - all of this is designed to try to stop this virus from spreading wildly from human to human.
Another cute effort to make an argument that isnt there, typical

Status
Not open for further replies.