Cooper Kupp...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
In theory I'm with you there. But what if they want to snap up a FA LT this offseason with Whit retiring. Or go get another plus guy at another position and spread that cap to a different position group with an in-house replacement for Woody.

All I'm saying is it's a possibility. And it is. Doesn't mean the Rams will do it.
I hear you. My assumption about cap space had that possibility built in. They've got a lot of flexibility financially.

And.. as we've learned with this team.. the unexpected is always a possibility with this team.

Tano

Legend
I love Jefferson, but there's a versatility element with Woods that he doesn't have. Not saying they couldn't live without it, but it's more than developing Jefferson, there's a qualitative difference.
Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it if there were hard choices to be made.. but they certainly don't need to make them next year. They're in great shape with the cap, imo. They've got Stafford and Donald's contracts to play with and could even play with Kupp, Ramsey and Floyd's if they want.
With 10 picks next year and some young players developing, I don't see them rocking the core at all next year for cap space.
Snead>>You are forgetting about the 5 extra 6 round picks I will be trading for

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Where's all this Woods trade talk coming from?

Bad franchises trade away their best players, and what do you guys think we'd be getting in compensation anyway? Nobody's trading a first for a 29 year old WR and unless he starts underperforming like Cooks was at the end of his tenure here trading him for a second is pointless
Just to be fair to Cooks he had a serious concussion that year. Last year with the Texans Cooks had 81 catches for 1,150 yards. This year he has 40 catches for 481 yards. Cooks has been a consistent, productive WR when healthy.

Tano

Legend
Just to be fair to Cooks he had a serious concussion that year. Last year with the Texans Cooks had 81 catches for 1,150 yards. This year he has 40 catches for 481 yards. Cooks has been a consistent, productive WR when healthy.
I was scared to death that Cooks was going to get one more concussion and die out on the field.

Man I am a wuss when it comes to seeing players getting hit that shouldn't be getting hit - Cooks, Tutu, etc

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
I was scared to death that Cooks was going to get one more concussion and die out on the field.

Man I am a wuss when it comes to seeing players getting hit that shouldn't be getting hit - Cooks, Tutu, etc
Yeah, Cooks probably should have retired. Not worth the risk. But he can still play.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I love Jefferson, but there's a versatility element with Woods that he doesn't have. Not saying they couldn't live without it, but it's more than developing Jefferson, there's a qualitative difference.
Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it if there were hard choices to be made.. but they certainly don't need to make them next year. They're in great shape with the cap, imo. They've got Stafford and Donald's contracts to play with and could even play with Kupp, Ramsey and Floyd's if they want.
With 10 picks next year and some young players developing, I don't see them rocking the core at all next year for cap space.

You paint a pretty rosy picture, although the Rams only have 39 signed players for 2022 and have an estimated CAP availability of about $6.12 mil.
Donald was restructured prior to this season, I'm not so certain Demoff is prepared to adjust that contract quite so soon again. Yes, the Rams do have plenty of options like extending Stafford & Havenstein, and should Whitworth call it a career that will also free up some money, but there are some serious issues coming as Corbett & Allen may be entering free agency. I suspect we'll see some personnel changes next year, and like this season, not everyone is going to be happy about it.
jmo.

Tano

Legend
You paint a pretty rosy picture, although the Rams only have 39 signed players for 2022 and have an estimated CAP availability of about $6.12 mil.
Donald was restructured prior to this season, I'm not so certain Demoff is prepared to adjust that contract quite so soon again. Yes, the Rams do have plenty of options like extending Stafford & Havenstein, and should Whitworth call it a career that will also free up some money, but there are some serious issues coming as Corbett & Allen may be entering free agency. I suspect we'll see some personnel changes next year, and like this season, not everyone is going to be happy about it.
jmo.
The CAP is supposed to go up a lot this year. We will see.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
The CAP is supposed to go up a lot this year. We will see.

True. Between the new contract for TNF with Amazon Prime and having fans back in the seats, there will be a sizable CAP raise, although the following year should bring the BIG rise as the other Network contracts are renegotiated up to new levels.
jmo.

Last edited:

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
Here's a fun question; who ranks first and third in YAC since 2018?

Cooper fucking kupp and Robert fucking Woods, that's who

I mean, how amazing is that? 2 players from the SAME team in the top 3.

So any talk about contract money, or trying to evaluate their worth to this team can be boiled down to that.

And for the pundits criticizing Stafford for "forcing the targets to Kupp" or "relying too much on Kupp" I say, isn't the passing game about getting the ball to the open receiver? Well, NO ONE in the league is better at getting wide open more often than Kupp, so why the hell wouldn't you keep throwing him the ball? Idiots

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Man, I still feel bad that Stedman had to retire because he got shot in the head. Imagine him in McVay's offense. I get the feeling that he'd be seriously good.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
jmo.
Sure, there are always tough decisions to be made, but I trust the Rams process on who to pay and who to let walk.I wouldn’t describe my perspective as a “rosy picture”.. It’s just the picture. They have tools at their disposal which means they don’t really have a problem. They showed the willingness to restructure this past year and will have almost no dead money to carry.
If Whit retires, they have almost 21 million available without doing anything. We all assume they work a new deal with Stafford and that offers a huge opportunity.
They won’t be able to keep all of Whit, Allen, Corbett, Darious Williams, SJD and Obo… but they’ll *be able* to keep a few, if they want.
I thought the Rams were being cheap and short sighted by not converting Stafford’s contract this year and bringing in Melvin Ingram… turns out they knew what they were doing, I think. Same with some other potential signings.
While I’d love to keep everyone.. It’s easy to see anyone on that list gone and the Rams would seem to be in position to replace them.
They have 10 draft picks next season, that’ll help.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Woods wont be traded, the time to have traded him passed. Glad they didnt!
But for a team to trade for him now? Nah... Then he was under 30 on a cheap deal, Now he's on the other side of the mountain at a clip of 13-14 mill per....

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Woods wont be traded, the time to have traded him passed. Glad they didnt!
But for a team to trade for him now? Nah... Then he was under 30 on a cheap deal, Now he's on the other side of the mountain at a clip of 13-14 mill per....

I could actually see a team like Detroit & GM Holmes trading for Woods, he and Goff have history, and the Lions will have plenty of CAP available to make such a move. Detroit could use their very early 1'st round draft pick on another WR and they'll then have transformed their receiving corp. Being that the 1'st round pick from the Rams will be the 32'nd overall, who knows how that will be used ?

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Snead>>Dammit. People keep saying I only have 10 draft picks next year. You watch - I will have 15 by the end of the draft.

... and at least five of them will be 6th rounders.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I could actually see a team like Detroit & GM Holmes trading for Woods, he and Goff have history, and the Lions will have plenty of CAP available to make such a move. Detroit could use their very early 1'st round draft pick on another WR and they'll then have transformed their receiving corp. Being that the 1'st round pick from the Rams will be the 32'nd overall, who knows how that will be used
A first rounder? For Robert Woods?
I love the guy but have a really hard time thinking that would/could happen.