Cooper Kupp...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Yeah been thinking the same. Been thinking it and being wrong this offseason in fact. But it does seem to me that paying 2 possession receivers is a luxury we can't afford on such a loaded roster.
2 possession receivers? They both line up in x,y, and z positions. They both work behind the line of scrimmage and lead block linebackers. Kupp leads the NFL in WR catches and TD's (#2 in yards) yet we label him "possession"? Both can and do run deep routes behind the defense and score long touchdowns. 2 COMPLETE RECEIVERS, is more accurate. To understand this would allow one to recognize the bargain price they are being paid.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Woods, Kupp and Jefferson all have top speeds near the top of the league.

None of them are solely possession receivers. That's just silly.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
2 possession receivers? They both line up in x,y, and z positions. They both work behind the line of scrimmage and lead block linebackers. Kupp leads the NFL in WR catches and TD's (#2 in yards) yet we label him "possession"? Both can and do run deep routes behind the defense and score long touchdowns. 2 COMPLETE RECEIVERS, is more accurate. To understand this would allow one to recognize the bargain price they are being paid.
Possession receiver is not a dirty word. At least not from my perspective. I consider Rice to be a possession receiver and he was one of the best ever. Isaac Bruce was a possession receiver too IMO.

My definition is a wideout who can get open through his routework.

So yeah we have two of them that are among the best in the league at what they do. Another cut from the same cloth in Jefferson. A larger type one in Skow. And an explosive guy in Tutu. If the Rams want to save some cap space next year that will be a conversation as an option at the least.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Cant wait to see Kupp/Woods/DJax/Harris packages the rest of the year.

Kupp is unstoppable at this point and to think him and Stafford have only been playing together for 6 games is actually nuts. There's a legitimate chance he puts up a Megatron-type year this season with Stafford.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Well for the record if they keep paying both of them I am fine with it. It just seems like an obvious area to get some cap savings.
You miss the concept of value. Cap savings doesn't mean shit if the cap is full of mediocrity. I think Woods is a bargain for his ability and production.
Not just that, you also have Van Jefferson, Atwell & Skowronek in the wings, climbing the walls, desperately seeking playing time. And who knows yet whether the Rams try to extend DeSean Jackson for one more season ?
What do you think Woods might bring as trade compensation ?

Possession receiver is not a dirty word. At least not from my perspective. I consider Rice to be a possession receiver and he was one of the best ever. Isaac Bruce was a possession receiver too IMO.

My definition is a wideout who can get open through his routework.

So yeah we have two of them that are among the best in the league at what they do. Another cut from the same cloth in Jefferson. A larger type one in Skow. And an explosive guy in Tutu. If the Rams want to save some cap space next year that will be a conversation as an option at the least.
You both make the same mistake here. You have no proof that any of them can come close to Woods production. Even Jefferson who gets playing time isn't duplicating what Woods does. Atwell and Skowronek are complete unknowns. They haven't played enough receiver to think they could even be league average. I like me some draft picks too but these guys haven't proven shit.

Now if the Rams had chosen DK Metcalf instead of Rapp (yes DK was chosen a few picks after Taylor) then I could see someone saying Woods is expendable for cap savings. Right now for all we know about the others, they could be off the roster in three years, out of the league even.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno what the future holds, but I really hope that Kupp and Woods are together for awhile.

Both are underrated by the league, although Kupp less so these days, and they complement one another.

Also, let's give Bobby Trees his due... dude makes some HELLACIOUS catches while getting trucked and just pops up. Heck, I got a cramp just watching him get popped once (true story)...

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Woods, Kupp and Jefferson all have top speeds near the top of the league.

None of them are solely possession receivers. That's just silly.
But they are better going deep when the oline gives them time. Which it is now doing.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I mean.. we’ve had 4+ years of Woods & Kupp. That’s some great stability.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Both Kupp and Woods can RAC with the best.

Woods is like having a change of pace running back sometimes.

jjab360

Legend
Where's all this Woods trade talk coming from?

Bad franchises trade away their best players, and what do you guys think we'd be getting in compensation anyway? Nobody's trading a first for a 29 year old WR and unless he starts underperforming like Cooks was at the end of his tenure here trading him for a second is pointless

jjab360

Legend
I mean.. we’ve had 4+ years of Woods & Kupp. That’s some great stability.
Here's to 4+ more years. Amonst all the personnel changes that have happened during McVay's time here, those two are the heart of this team imo.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Here's to 4+ more years. Amonst all the personnel changes that have happened during McVay's time here, those two are the heart of this team imo.

You don’t think that is asking to much ? I hope that is not the case.

Truth is both have been Great Rams.Top notch players,but even Bruuuce & Holt Father Time caught up to them as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Both Kupp and Woods can RAC with the best.

Woods is like having a change of pace running back sometimes.

Woods running straight at you in Pads full speed shows you how fast he is.I know that feeling without pads & think I am going to get my azzzz run over.
It gave me a certain perspective of what it feels like not paying attention & the speed of these NFL Athletes.I still think though that Roberts Woods is just a well rounded player.
Kupp & Woods blocking is what sets them apart.Last week against the Giants Kupp caught a pass late on a delayed screen.The play took a while & have never seen blocking as good as his TD(1st.dwn? ) play.
Have to go back & review that play now to find out who was blocking.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
we are so spoiled at the WR position. enjoy it while it lasts boys

Have you been watching Ben Sko ?
Harris is going to be a special player as well.
Learning from the best.Adding Tutu as well I think The Rams have put themselves in a nice position moving forward.Van Jefferson is a coaches dream as well.He brings a lot to the table at such an early NFL age of experience.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Imagine if he wasn't 24 when drafted. He is going to miss out on stats

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Dat beard tho.....
He needs to tame that wooly beast!!