Cooper Kupp...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
A lot of people wanted to get rid of the coop....

If i here another announcer make a dumb ass comparison because he is white I'm going to lose it.

Dude yesterday said he was a faster welker....

he is about 25lbs heavier than welker and welker is 5'*9 and Kupp is 6'2"....

Their 40' times were about the same...

You know who Kupp reminds me of? Size, RAC, hands?

A guy named Jerry Rice (6'2 200lbs)

Cooper Kupp reminds me of TJ Houzmanzadeh from back in the day.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
If i here another announcer make a dumb ass comparison because he is white I'm going to lose it.

That happens a lot; and it is weak commentary from the "Expert" analysts.

Someone that Kupp reminds me of is your avatar ... Henry Ellard.

Terrific route-runner and hands, who could make shifty/cutting moves after the catch.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I learned how to use the mute button years ago. I can't stand to listen to these so called color analyst, that want to put in their two cents after every play. It is like they are getting paid by the word. It does not seem to be as bad in other sports, or maybe it is because I don't care about them as much. I know the game and the players well enough that I don't need to listen to these dumb arses!

Memphis Ram

Legend

Jerry Rice?

Welker was a slot WR like Kupp.

Jerry Rice was not.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Yeah it's pretty fucking stupid. He's got a really nice mix of abilities you could compare him to Boldin but Boldin was more physical and pushed off a ton, whereas Kupp actually separates with route running but also intellect/anticipating what DBs are doing.

Jerry Rice?

Welker was a slot WR like Kupp.

Jerry Rice was not.
Kupp is not "a slot WR." He can play every spot out there and does. The guy does just fine outside the hash, off the line, and in the slot.

In fact he is a great deal like Rice. Rice was also very smart and played like a QB in terms of anticipating what guys had in their scheme for responsibilities. He was also not very fast in measured speed like Kupp but more than made up for it with smooth routes and natural shakes.

Where Kupp is different from Rice is that he's bigger and actually physical. He can fight through jams and truck DBs. So in many ways he's kind of a unique beast. You could compare some of his game to TEs but most of them aren't nearly as good as he is in the pattern.

But fact remains that his whiteness has that reverse racism thing going. Not that it's a big deal or anything but it's definitely there when guys in the media talk about him and make comparisons. He is nothing like Welker outside of intellect.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
When Kupp was drafted some analyst or media person compared him to Fitzgerald, I still agree with that comparison

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fitz has always been a decent comp for him yeah. Sure would be nice if he lasts as long as Fitz did, getting over 1100 yards in his 14th season was nucking futs.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Yeah it's pretty fucking stupid. He's got a really nice mix of abilities you could compare him to Boldin but Boldin was more physical and pushed off a ton, whereas Kupp actually separates with route running but also intellect/anticipating what DBs are doing.

Kupp is not "a slot WR." He can play every spot out there and does. The guy does just fine outside the hash, off the line, and in the slot.

In fact he is a great deal like Rice. Rice was also very smart and played like a QB in terms of anticipating what guys had in their scheme for responsibilities. He was also not very fast in measured speed like Kupp but more than made up for it with smooth routes and natural shakes.

Where Kupp is different from Rice is that he's bigger and actually physical. He can fight through jams and truck DBs. So in many ways he's kind of a unique beast. You could compare some of his game to TEs but most of them aren't nearly as good as he is in the pattern.

But fact remains that his whiteness has that reverse racism thing going. Not that it's a big deal or anything but it's definitely there when guys in the media talk about him and make comparisons. He is nothing like Welker outside of intellect.

McVay has even called him a slot WR and that's where he lines up mostly.
Rice typically lined up outside and went against the opposing defenses top CB.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
It's really hard to think of a comp for Kupp. He really is a unique type of WR. Decent size (next to Skow he's our biggest WR), OK speed, but his "intangibles" are absolutely maxxed out in terms of route running, football IQ, fly-paper hands, and YAC ability. While D-Jax is a 1-stage downfield weapon, Kupp is like a 2-stage weapon, gets open with killer moves & route running, hauls in the catch, and then activates stage 2 -- stiff-arming DB's and Safetys, staying on his feet to max out every possible yard.
Honestly I really can't think of a comp. I haven't paid that much attention to other teams. But at this rate, Kupp will BE the comp others are compared to.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
McVay has even called him a slot WR and that's where he lines up mostly.
Rice typically lined up outside and went against the opposing defenses top CB.
McVay plays him there a ton because he can move him around and magnify his strengths.

When I call a guy a slot receiver it means he's not good enough to play outside vs a jam and a better corner. You could play Kupp every game outside the hashes and he'd still total up tons of catches. That is not true with a lot of guys around the league who play the slot is all I'm saying.

Memphis Ram

Legend
McVay plays him there a ton because he can move him around and magnify his strengths.

When I call a guy a slot receiver it means he's not good enough to play outside vs a jam and a better corner. You could play Kupp every game outside the hashes and he'd still total up tons of catches. That is not true with a lot of guys around the league who play the slot is all I'm saying.
Agreed.

At the same time, if Kupp and Woods switched their positional emphasis per se, I believe that Woods would be more effective consistently in the slot than Kupp would be consistently lined up outside. Then again, a lot depends upon whom the QB locks in on the most.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I don't know why, but I see him as a updated, bigger version of Steve Largent. Maybe it's the white thing? :LOL: ......all kidding aside, Steve Largent was a bad ass WR, however Kupp is just a great all around WR. The guy can do it all and finally gets to show out because Stafford hits him when he's open which seems to be a lot.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

In this offense, and with more time to get downfield, Kupp's deep routes do look like Rice. And like Rice he is consistently getting open on them. And like Rice making it look easy.

Same incredible work ethic and smarts. The HANDS. Tough and strong.

Kupp also has crazy body control in short space which enables him to make extraordinary cuts both before and after the catch. One of the hardest guys in the league to tackle.

I've been predicting record breaking numbers for Kupp this year since early in the season and I'm sticking with it. +130 catches, +2000 yards, +20 TDs.

Kupp and Stafford aren't going to stop now.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
If Kupp averages the same yards per game the rest of the way that he had his previous best season.. he’ll top 1600 yards.