Cooper Kupp...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Kupp is amazing but I’d like to see Stafford spread it around more. We have so many weapons and it’s a very long season. Woods deserves more throws. Even McVay noticed it.

551staaa

Unsubstantiated Reality
Hirsch/Fears, Snow/Jackson, Dennard/Waddy, Ellard/Brown, Bruce/Holt, Britt/Quick, Kupp/Woods.

One of these things is not like the others....

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Hirsch/Fears, Snow/Jackson, Dennard/Waddy, Ellard/Brown, Bruce/Holt, Britt/Quick, Kupp/Woods.

Yeah......... Bruce/Holt seriously underachieved......

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Dammit, I did...but I consider Skowronek more of a tight end, along with Harris, sooo...maybe?

But yeah, I'll add in Higbee, Henderson, Skowronek, Harris, and Michel. And the offensive line, especially. I'm ready and waiting to eat a honey-glazed crow wings, with fried crow legs on Allen. Mmm...tastes delicious.
It is amazing to watch Allen turn into everything they hoped he would be when they drafted him.

I had pretty much given up on him myself and put him in the category of, I have to see it to believe it.

Now I believe it.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame

Ah, Britt/Quick are crash test dummies. Remember how Britt bitched about Goff asking him to stay after practice so he could work on the fade. I also remember a deep pass to Quick where it was behind him a little and he stopped and just watch the defender standing next to him catch the ball. Didn't move a muscle. God I hated those guys.

Tano

Legend
Ah, Britt/Quick are crash test dummies. Remember how Britt bitched about Goff asking him to stay after practice so he could work on the fade. I also remember a deep pass to Quick where it was behind him a little and he stopped and just watch the defender standing next to him catch the ball. Didn't move a muscle. God I hated those guys.
Their nicknames given by Fisher himself was Dumb and Dumber

Psycho_X

Legend
Yes, I absolutely hated watching Quick play. The guy did that a lot where he seemingly would just freeze and watch instead of using his size to try and get the ball. Drove me f'ing crazy and it happened all the time. Some more egregious than others. But I wanted Quick gone sooner than it happened. Britt was just your typical "in it for the money" player and I don't think gave two craps about the team or winning.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What pissed me off most was when Goff got the nod and tried to set up a throwing session in their off time and those shitters didn't show.

Fisher's rosters were fucking cancer.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
What pissed me off most was when Goff got the nod and tried to set up a throwing session in their off time and those shitters didn't show.

Fisher's rosters were fucking cancer.
Character was never part of the vetting process of players. Even performance was over looked sometimes if they were athletic. Like Fisher's staff ever coached anybody up.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Character was never part of the vetting process of players. Even performance was over looked sometimes if they were athletic. Like Fisher's staff ever coached anybody up.
And it's got to be a HUUUUGE part of the Rams current process... "who is this guy as a man"?
When you're building a program based on developing players, not just drafting and throwing them in and expecting them to succeed, you're looking for reasons they CAN develop.. and attitude/makeup is the bedrock of that.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Was often frustrated by the lack of consistency from Fisher’s Rams. Would play well against a good team, and often win but could not follow it up. There were many times when the Rams would have a poor effort following a strong one.

I think the lack of intangibles contributed to that inconsistency. Lack of NFL intelligence and maturity, professional focus and dedication, leadership and team unity.

Must have talent to win but the intangibles are also important; and I thought Fisher often failed to appreciate and consider such things.

In his final season (2016), the Rams were on Hard Knocks; and I got the impression that Fisher knew that team needed to win. However, while he talked tough, it did not seem to register with the players. One example was when Britt and Quick crashed the golf cart. Fisher laid into it at a team meeting. I recall (clearly) Britt grinning from ear-to-ear. He felt no remorse or responsibility. And, Britt was the veteran of the receiving group.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You miss the concept of value. Cap savings doesn't mean shit if the cap is full of mediocrity. I think Woods is a bargain for his ability and production.
I'm not missing anything here Elm. Disagree all you want and I'm fine with that. But WR whether you like it or not represents an area the Rams can squeeze out more cap space, because they have two excellent guys being paid for the same role and a very nice depth chart now.

No hate here. No need for crazy overreactions and blobs of outraged posts. I'm fine with them keeping Woody around as I said. I'm not even campaigning for it to happen, I simply agreed with another poster that it is a possibility. And for the record I thought they might do that this past offseason depending on how aggressive they wanted to be in FA so it's something I've been thinking for a couple years now. I even thought they might trade the guy two years ago when he wasn't happy with his contract.

This is a business my man. And my take here is a business perspective take plain and simple. I agree he earns his take. But the positional strength speaks to options.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
You miss the concept of value. Cap savings doesn't mean shit if the cap is full of mediocrity. I think Woods is a bargain for his ability and production.

You both make the same mistake here. You have no proof that any of them can come close to Woods production. Even Jefferson who gets playing time isn't duplicating what Woods does. Atwell and Skowronek are complete unknowns. They haven't played enough receiver to think they could even be league average. I like me some draft picks too but these guys haven't proven shit.

Now if the Rams had chosen DK Metcalf instead of Rapp (yes DK was chosen a few picks after Taylor) then I could see someone saying Woods is expendable for cap savings. Right now for all we know about the others, they could be off the roster in three years, out of the league even.

Woods' CAP hit jumps from $5.875 mil. this season to $15.7 mil. in 2022 & $15.9 mil. for 2023. For 2024 & 2025 it accelerates to $17.9 mil. & $19.5 mil. per year.

Kupps' CAP hit registers at $5.3 mil. this season and jumps to $18.3 mil. for 2022.

How long do you think this remains sustainable on a team which already pays out huge contracts to Donald, Ramsey & Floyd ?

I love Woods, but also understand that the NFL is the 'Not For Long' league, and we sometimes have to accept our CAP limitations. McSnead has prepared for this eventuality by bringing in new talent, and life goes on.

While there is no 'proof' that Atwell, Skowronek or Van Jefferson will match Woods' talent level, I trust that Rams management has done their due diligence on these players prior to being drafted and that at least one of them will step up to future challenges, and at a much reduced CAP rate for at least a few years. This isn't some new concept, this is how it works as teams fight to balance personnel with financial spread sheets, ... one year you are better at a position than another, you may be weaker here and stronger there, every season invites change.
jmo.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not missing anything here Elm. Disagree all you want and I'm fine with that. But WR whether you like it or not represents an area the Rams can squeeze out more cap space, because they have two excellent guys being paid for the same role and a very nice depth chart now.

No hate here. No need for crazy overreactions and blobs of outraged posts. I'm fine with them keeping Woody around as I said. I'm not even campaigning for it to happen, I simply agreed with another poster that it is a possibility. And for the record I thought they might do that this past offseason depending on how aggressive they wanted to be in FA so it's something I've been thinking for a couple years now. I even thought they might trade the guy two years ago when he wasn't happy with his contract.

This is a business my man. And my take here is a business perspective take plain and simple. I agree he earns his take. But the positional strength speaks to options.
The depth is unproven. It’s like letting Hill walk so Long could take over.

No outraged post though. I’m not sure what that comment was about. I just disagree. They get asked about Woods every offseason and they keep saying no. Ditto with Havenstein. I know they drafted a few guys this year but none of them have played and so far Van Jefferson doesn’t look like he can bring the same production Woods does.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

They seemed to be ok at coaching up players on the D side - Brockers was pretty raw when he came out. But man, they were absolutely terrible on the O side.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The depth is unproven. It’s like letting Hill walk so Long could take over.

No outraged post though. I’m not sure what that comment was about. I just disagree. They get asked about Woods every offseason and they keep saying no. Ditto with Havenstein. I know they drafted a few guys this year but none of them have played and so far Van Jefferson doesn’t look like he can bring the same production Woods does.
It would be accurate to say that how well Jefferson plays the rest of this season will be a big factor in that type of decision. I'll give you that and in fact I am assuming he will keep developing going forward in order to consider that type of move.

Re: the comment on outrage that was just irt that element you get on message boards where you can mention something as a possibility and then next thing you know folks are arguing it like someone was selling it as a need when really it was just an off hand type of conversation about a possibility. :clinkingbeer:

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
It would be accurate to say that how well Jefferson plays the rest of this season will be a big factor in that type of decision. I'll give you that and in fact I am assuming he will keep developing going forward in order to consider that type of move.

Re: the comment on outrage that was just irt that element you get on message boards where you can mention something as a possibility and then next thing you know folks are arguing it like someone was selling it as a need when really it was just an off hand type of conversation about a possibility. :clinkingbeer:
I love Jefferson, but there's a versatility element with Woods that he doesn't have. Not saying they couldn't live without it, but it's more than developing Jefferson, there's a qualitative difference.
Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it if there were hard choices to be made.. but they certainly don't need to make them next year. They're in great shape with the cap, imo. They've got Stafford and Donald's contracts to play with and could even play with Kupp, Ramsey and Floyd's if they want.
With 10 picks next year and some young players developing, I don't see them rocking the core at all next year for cap space.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I love Jefferson, but there's a versatility element with Woods that he doesn't have. Not saying they couldn't live without it, but it's more than developing Jefferson, there's a qualitative difference.
Doesn't mean they wouldn't do it if there were hard choices to be made.. but they certainly don't need to make them next year. They're in great shape with the cap, imo. They've got Stafford and Donald's contracts to play with and could even play with Kupp, Ramsey and Floyd's if they want.
With 10 picks next year and some young players developing, I don't see them rocking the core at all next year for cap space.
In theory I'm with you there. But what if they want to snap up a FA LT this offseason with Whit retiring. Or go get another plus guy at another position and spread that cap to a different position group with an in-house replacement for Woody.

All I'm saying is it's a possibility. And it is. Doesn't mean the Rams will do it.