Benched: Eli Manning’s streak of 210 consecutive regular-season starts comes to an end

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-upset-when-he-heard-eli-manning-was-benched/

Tom Coughlin was “very upset” when he heard Eli Manning was benched
Posted by Josh Alper on November 28, 2017

452947959-e1511910601231.jpg

Getty Images

Jaguars executive vice president of football operations Tom Coughlin coached the Giants in 203 games, including the playoffs, and Eli Manning was the starting quarterback for all but nine of them, so it’s no surprise that he had a reaction to the news that Manning has been benched after 210 straight starts for the team.

Coughlin appeared on 1010XL in Jacksonville Tuesday to help raise money for The Jay Fund, a charity he created in honor of the late Jay McGillis after McGillis, who played for Coughlin at Boston College, died of leukemia. The move involving Manning came up when the discussion moved to football.

“Surprised is not the word,” Coughlin said, via Mike Garafolo of NFL Media. “My sentiments are totally with Eli Manning. I love the kid. He is a class act. He is a two-time Super Bowl champion. He is the finest, most humblest young man in that locker room. I haven’t followed the Giants. I know it’s a disappointing year but my thoughts are strictly with Eli. I’m very upset about when I heard that.”

It remains to be seen what the Giants will do with Manning come the offseason — he’s due a $5 million roster bonus on the third day of the 2018 league year — but his history with Coughlin means there’s little question that there will be speculation about him moving to Jacksonville as Blake Bortles‘ successor.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Giants should release Eli tonight. That would be the best thing they could do for him

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
Eli out for the G-men, Garoppolo apparently in for the Whiners...I was kind of hoping he wouldn't be in for the Rams game...New QBs tend to concern me, though it's hard to anoint him anything special based solely on the very, very limited sample size and the fact that the Rams should handle them without too much trouble at home...And of course the Whiners aren't the Cheatriots...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Problem with that is that the players hate Spags more than McAdoo. He's been one of the major issues this season

Spags ... another guy that does not learn from his past failures. Disliked as Rams coach ... New Orleans players hated him ... and now back at the Giants, the players there hate him.

At least he was liked by a certain Goodfella on a board I used to visit ... :LOL:

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/28/eli-manning-benched-giants-geno-smith-davis-webb

Is Eli Manning Done in New York? Why He’s Sitting and Where He Could Go Next
By Conor Orr

Embattled Giants head coach Ben McAdoo has allowed QB Eli Manning’s loudest detractors to paw at Pandora’s box all season long.

He criticized Manning’s “sloppy quarterback play.” He intimated that the club would get a look at their younger players—quarterbacks included. He made it possible for the most important player in modern franchise history to take arrows while an offense partially of his design sunk to unbelievable lows.

Manning has always been a favorite punch line of Giants fans, while simultaneously serving as a lovable safety net in a league devoid of quarterback talent. He was sometimes a problem, but he was their problem.

On Tuesday, though, McAdoo, almost certainly acting with the knowledge and permission of everyone higher than him on the ladder, did the unthinkable: He announced that Manning will not start on Sunday against the Raiders, snapping Manning’s 13-year run of consecutive starts—the second-longest streak in NFL history behind Brett Favre.

Manning, who has not missed a Giants game since November 2004, will give way to former Jets second-round pick Geno Smith. Davis Webb, a third-round pick in 2017, will also get playing time. Manning was offered to take ceremonial starting snaps to keep the record alive, but passed.

The decision makes a few things crystal clear. First, if McAdoo and general manager Jerry Reese are going down, they are going to the greatest lengths imaginable to signal that their processes are not the problem. Second, the palace intrigue surrounding the Giants at season’s end just went from marginal curiosity to must-see television.

They will be a soap opera of grand proportions as speculation swirls around the futures of McAdoo, Manning, general manager Jerry Reese and other high-end power players. Third, the team’s loyal—and vocal—base of recent Super Bowl winning alumni that seem to forever exist in the club’s orbit, will be outraged. Fourth, the Giants will undoubtedly draft a quarterback in the first round of the 2018 NFL Draft.

And fifth: This will almost certainly be the end of Eli Manning in New York.

Sounds laughable, right? Watch me rattle off three teams with Manning connections. All of these options make at least a little bit of sense without breaking a sweat.

The Tom Coughlin-led Jacksonville Jaguars: Manning to Jacksonville made for fun trade deadline chatter. But now? They are a team praying for replacement level quarterback play with a defense so good that they could end up with the third seed in the AFC playoffs. Manning spent nearly his entire career with Coughlin, and could breeze into an idyllic situation where his arrival would be celebrated.

• The John Elway-led Denver Broncos: After juggling quarterbacks all season, Elway missed his chance to evaluate Paxton Lynch thanks to an untimely injury. His world-beating defense is nearing the end of its window, as are his franchise wideouts. Elway made a great home for Eli’s brother, Peyton, at the end of Peyton’s career and can do the same again. This team as presently constructed does not need much help to contend.

• The Bruce Arians-led Arizona Cardinals: Arians was a football godfather of sorts to Peyton in Indianapolis and prefers to traffic in veteran quarterbacks. With Carson Palmer injured again, already unsure if he would retire before the 2017 season, Arians can lock and load for one last shot. Larry Fitzgerald is already committed to 2018. David Johnson returns.

By yanking the plug, the Giants have now entered a quarterbacking twilight zone familiar to teams like Buffalo, Cleveland, Chicago and San Francisco. New York’s organizational philosophy has always been to make a top-five pick count, which aligns with the growing chance that they will have a very high selection in this year’s draft.

However, it has also been an organizational philosophy to care for and honor their most significant contributors. On Tuesday, they seemed to miss the mark there.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
Because you play to win the games with the best players you have. Its not pre-season and the games count. I'm sure the guy whos dropping a grand to take his family of 4 to the game isnt preferring to see Geno Smith
Exactly to my point, "you play to win games". Eli can't do it................next man up.

RedRam

Pro Bowler
I hope Jenkins is enjoying his money in New York!!

Edit: Nah, that's a lie. I don't give a :poop: about Jenkins anymore.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I can't believe the reaction around the NFL. It's like this united everyone against Ben McAdoo. Never seen anything like it.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Idiotic. The problem is not the QB.

To put the blame on Eli who’s won two Super Bowls for this organization is just disrespectful.

You took the words right out of my mouth. He's earned the right to finish the year out. They don't have a 1st round pick sitting on the bench. Do right by Eli. This is just fucked up.

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
So wait....your telling me that the only QB in NFL HISTORY to beat Tom Brady in a Superbowl, and then do it again, was benched for....(wait for it)....GENO SMITH!!! WTF is this idiot Macadoo doing....I mean...does he have down syndrome? (My uncle has down syndrome, he wouldn't have made this move....)

PC people...please don't kill me...

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I can't believe the reaction around the NFL. It's like this united everyone against Ben McAdoo. Never seen anything like it.

Eli Manning is a very respected guy...McAdo obviously is not right now...Not hard for me to understand...Not to mention that his logic for making the move now is ridiculous in my mind...

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Eli was their franchise QB. He led them to more success than the idiot they're trying to scapegoat him for because Mara is too prideful to admit he made a mistake scapegoating Coughlin for his and Reese's mistakes.

Take the two biggest reasons for your team's modern successes and ostracize them just to hide from how terrible you are at your job will make you easily despisable.

Imagine if Green Bay forced out Aaron Rodgers those one or two years he's not capable of carrying those awful defenses they're known for.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
This sounds the final stand of a McAdoo under fire.

If I was Manning I'd be gutted, but I'd also be on the phone to my agent asking hi to find me a new home - this has been the uttermost disrespectful move I can recall in recent NFL history. It would have been much better to have got rid of their O game-plan and just say, "lets just go out there and have some fun" give everyone on the roster a chance to play so hat you can evaluate what you have on your books. I'd have had respect for McAdoo if he'd have called a press conference and said "You know what, the game plan for this year just hasn't worked, we're going to rip up the book and go out there and just play ball."

You can't even blame their injuries, they were totally bollox before them too!

If they wanted to see Geno play, then suck him n with Manning, mix it up with some Wildcat formations, just go out there and get creative. heir season is over.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Exactly to my point, "you play to win games". Eli can't do it................next man up.
There is no way on gods earth that Geno Smith gives the giants a better chance to win.

Benching a legend, who has actually played decent, for a dude who won’t even be on the team in 6 weeks is one of the most disrespectful things I’ve ever heard in sports.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
I don't understand this. At all. Is McDumbass trying to get himself disbarred from the NFL? Because to me, thats the only logical explanation.

Rapaport is a moron in my opinion, but he hit the nail on the head. Eli has endured this season with a shitty offensive line and ZEEEERO run game. He's also played without his top three receivers practically all season. But he's the issue? He's the reason why the defense is horrible and looks lost most of the time?

You can tell by Eli's interview that this one hurt, and I can understand why. THE ONLY QB TO BEAT TOM BRADY IN THE SUPERBOWL, and he did it twice!! And he had a streak that started what, 13 years ago? And you're benching this dude and ending that streak for GENO SMITH?

You know, coaches like Macadoo make me appreciate what we have in Sean McVay that much more. Watch McVay's press conference after a loss or a poor offensive output. The only person Sean blames is himself. He takes ownership over the players struggles. You see none of this from Macadoo when he pulls something like this.

I'm not a Giants fan, but my brother in law is. He told me he's talked to Cowboys fans who are livid at Macadoo.

Do you know how bad you've got to fuck up to get Giants and Cowboys fans on the same side?!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

If I was Manning I'd be gutted

There is no way on gods earth that Geno Smith gives the giants a better chance to win.

Smith isn't going to help, and the Giants are going nowhere.

Manning was gutted, if you see the interview vid he was holding back tears.

And I agree Smith doesn't give the Giants a better chance to win.

Boy howdy did our guy Warner UNLOAD on the Giants for doing this. What a dumbshit move this was..........

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/29/new-york-giants-bench-eli-manning-quarterback-mmqb-peter-king

New York Giants Bench Eli Manning: Why It Was The Right Thing To Do
By Peter King

PATRICK SMITH/GETTY IMAGES

I get the raw emotion about the Eli Manning benching with the Giants. Fans, former teammates, players around the league … mostly, they think Ben McAdoo is heartless, unnecessarily cruel and has no appreciation for the class of a great Giant. (All may be true.) They think this move is dumb. It’s not. It’s the right thing to do.

Regarding McAdoo’s handling of Manning’s benching, tell me: How exactly are you going to do the mechanics of replacing a quarterback who has started every game for your team since mid-2004, who is the best playoff quarterback in your history, who is one of the most clutch playoff quarterbacks of all time, who has won two Super Bowls for your franchise—each time against tremendous odds, and against the best team of the past 50 years?

There is no good way. Every way stinks. But just because the decision is hard and will cause pain and tears doesn’t mean it should not be made. You are wounding one of the classiest players in the history of the league. But you’re doing it for the right reason. As Bo Schembechler once said, and as the Brothers Harbaugh have repeated time and again, when asked about motivation for this move or that move, the reason is: “The team. The team. The team.”

The Giants are 2-9, playing for nothing. And the most important thing for this franchise is to fact-find for 2018—particularly March and April 2018, when you have to decide if you want to use your top-five draft choice on a quarterback of the future, or if you want to ride a 37-year-old quarterback into his sunset.

Maybe you want to do both. But think of the franchise here. Don’t think of the person. When the person is gone, the franchise has to keep playing the games, and the best thing for you to do is figure out everything you can about the people to replace that person. The way to do that is to find out what’s behind Manning.

My first thought upon hearing the decision was, Good idea. But do not tell me Geno Smith is starting. We’ve seen enough of Geno Smith. I want to see Davis Webb, the rookie gym rat from Cal, in all five of the games they’ve got left.

But then I thought, I don’t hate Smith starting for one week Sunday in the Black Hole in Oakland. Webb has been practicing solely as the scout team quarterback this year, mimicking what the opposing quarterback will do against the Giants defense.

Presumably, either this week or next, Webb will start practicing with the Giants’ first and second offense. But one week for Smith. One week, while Webb gets his feet wet and makes final preparations to play the last four weeks so the Giants can see what they have in the young kid, starting Dec. 10 against a beat-up Dallas team.

As for what this means for the future, don’t assume anything. Four points to make:

1. We don’t know who the coach or GM is going to be next year, so we can’t know if this is the end for Manning with the Giants. Maybe COO John Mara knows what he’s going to do atop the team; my gut is that both McAdoo and GM Jerry Reese will be fired.

But whether it’s Reese or some new GM, we’re not going to know Manning’s fate for a while. It’s easy to say, Eli will never suit up for the Giants after this season, but that’s an opinion. I can’t see the Giants having made the decision that Manning is definitely gone in the midst of this train-wreck season. There’s no logic to it.

2. Manning has become a Jersey guy, and he’s not a particularly emotional sort, so I doubt he thinks right now it’s definitely over for him in New Jersey. He used to split the year between Jersey and his southern home. Now he’s mostly a suburban Jersey guy, his kids in a great school, his life in total order. He’s invested in the area. I’ve always thought he’d never want to leave. This obviously could change things. But we’re all guessing about the future.

3. Manning’s smart enough to survey his options in 2018 before doing anything rash. The Broncos will want him, to be sure. John Elway could recreate history; six years after bringing Peyton Manning to Denver to reignite his career, he could do the same with his brother. Jacksonville too, with Tom Coughlin importing the prize passer he won two Super Bowls.

But what if McAdoo gets fired and a coach who intrigues Manning—and who loves him—gets hired? What would Josh McDaniels or David Shaw think of Manning, and what would he think of them? Plus: Keeping Manning could allow the Giants to trade the second or third overall pick in 2018 (or whatever it turns out to be) for a treasure trove of draft choices if either the GM doesn’t love the college quarterback crop, or he feels Manning has three or four good years left.

4. His contract is a little tricky to trade. First: Manning has two years left, with $22 million in salary, $10 million in roster bonuses, and $1 million total in workout bonuses. Two years, $33 million. Reasonable. But Manning also has a no-trade clause in the deal. That means he could refuse a trade if he wants, or he could block a trade to teams he wouldn’t want to play. It also means if he chooses to waive the no-trade clause, the team that acquires him might have to sweeten the deal by adding either money or time to it.

It seems fair, for instance, if Manning could get a year or two added to the deal if it puts him a little north of $20 million annually. My guess is four years, $80 million might be the floor for Denver or Jacksonville or some surprise team (Manning’s hometown of New Orleans, if Drew Brees walks, for instance).

I can’t see Manning staying if he either doesn’t like the 2018 brain trust or, even after two months to let the anger dissipate, is still wounded by this. But as I say, Manning is more thoughtful than vengeful. He probably makes the best family and football decision, wherever that leads.

The more I see the Giants, the more I think Mara should fire McAdoo and Reese and start over with a new front office and coaching staff. The team is stale. Aside from the defensive free-agency home runs hit in 2016 and picking Odell Beckham Jr. in 2014, Reese has had some cold streaks in personnel, and he hasn’t gotten the line right in front of Manning.

If Mara lets Reese pick another coach in 2018, what happens if the Giants go 5-11 in ’18 and want to cut ties with Reese? Then the new GM would be stuck with a coach he never picked. A clean break seems smartest. Then Manning can judge his best place for 2018, and the new guys can judge if they want Manning.

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe this Manning also could get a Pizza “deal” after football. Hook him up Peyton! There’s plenty of sauce to go around!!