Benched: Eli Manning’s streak of 210 consecutive regular-season starts comes to an end

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Eli out for the G-men, Garoppolo apparently in for the Whiners...I was kind of hoping he wouldn't be in for the Rams game...New QBs tend to concern me, though it's hard to anoint him anything special based solely on the very, very limited sample size and the fact that the Rams should handle them without too much trouble at home...And of course the Whiners aren't the Cheatriots...

I eagerly await our game vs the Whiners with Garoppolo. It shouldn't matter who is behind center when we play them, as our defense is a different unit now than it was that early in the season.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Eli Manning is a very respected guy...McAdo obviously is not right now...Not hard for me to understand...Not to mention that his logic for making the move now is ridiculous in my mind...

Eli was their franchise QB. He led them to more success than the idiot they're trying to scapegoat him for because Mara is too prideful to admit he made a mistake scapegoating Coughlin for his and Reese's mistakes.

Take the two biggest reasons for your team's modern successes and ostracize them just to hide from how terrible you are at your job will make you easily despisable.

Imagine if Green Bay forced out Aaron Rodgers those one or two years he's not capable of carrying those awful defenses they're known for.

I know, I get that. But as @Zodi even FANS of rival teams are pissed at this development. It's crazy.

New York Giants Bench Eli Manning: Why It Was The Right Thing To Do
By Peter King

Oh shut up. And go away.

4bUV7Ls.gif

PS, not you, Prime. You can stay. (y)

Last edited:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Maybe it's time the NFL starts using a lottery for high draft picks like the NBA to discourage tanking. Every team with a record of 4-12 or worse would be put in a pool with an equal chance of getting the top pick.

The lottery is weighted, not equal. Teams get ping pong balls in the little machine based on where they finished in the standing so they tank in the NBA too.

Now if they did something along the lines of what you are suggesting maybe that would help.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
PS, not you, Prime. You can stay. (y)

Did a little editing on that. :sneaky:
----------------------------------------
What Giants Fans Are Saying About This:

mob2-782x436.jpg

http://boards.giants.com/forum/new-...tball/3013584-time-for-us-fans-to-take-action

Time for us fans to take action

Time for another banner off a plane during the game to get McAdoo fired.

I'm that pissed and I will pay good money to help make this happen.

I want McAdoo fired now!
-----------
Best course of action is keep the stadium empty. Oh, and wear bags.
----------
best I can do is not watch the games the rest of the season
----------
I've always stated Eli is a great Giant.

I watched Giants coaches screw Phil and now I'm watching it happen to Eli.

I am sickened by this.

I just emailed an aerial advertising company and I will post once I get a response.

McAdoo has no business running this team any longer.
----------
What we NEED to do is to hold protests at MetLife. Maybe even some sort of sit-in until McAdoo is fired. Call the press (that would be a juicy story for them). I live in northwestern CT, but I'd be willing to drive to E Rutherford and participate if someone in the area organized it.

Everybody here claims to be a die-hard Giants fan...let's see how many of us show up in the cold to hold signs.
----------
I'm up for any thing and happy to put towards it...planes protests anything, enough is enough. I'm going out of my mind here tonight with this news.
-----------
I may not be able to contribute much, but...I'll contribute something.

Father may not be getting his $20 in the collection plate this week.
-----------
I think we need to bombard Mara with hate mail.
-----------
What pisses me off is that McAdoo's offense clearly doesn't play to Eli's strengths.

Eli is not the game manager McAdoo was looking for.

The kid is a Parcells wannabe without experience.
----------
These guys have gone to the zoo
---------
I love my Gmen but today was a embarrassment.
----------
I agree. the fans are paying for this team and Reese, Mara McAdoo are not performing. Fans need to demonstrate and make their voices heard. Get massive number in signs in parking lot and outside the stadium Chant throughout the game McAdoo and Reese must go.
----------
https://www.gofundme.com/please-help-fire-ben-macdoo
------------
tickets have been in my family since 1958

they became mine in 1974 and I have not missed a home game since

on the 10th when the Cowboys come to town I will not be attending and my two sets of PSL are currently for sale

I am disgusted with the actions of this franchise .... disgusted !!!

this is not how you treat a man who went to battle with you for 14 years .... who has played injured.... who has played sick.... who has given his life to this franchise and been nothing but a class act since day one .... this is what you do with 5 games left?
You go to Geno ****ing Smith?!!!

This franchise is a joke !

They no longer have my support and I will never step foot in that building again

I will root for the laundry but no longer have a stitch of respect for this organization

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-tanking-and-of-course-john-mara-cant-say-so/

Of course the Giants are tanking (and of course John Mara can’t say so)
Posted by Mike Florio on November 30, 2017

Giants co-owner John Mara opted for a naughty word when faced with the perception that his team’s decision to supplant Eli Manning with Geno Smith comes from a desire to lose as many games as possible, in the hopes of winning the best possible draft position. But the only true “bullish-t” in this dynamic came from the man who opted to use that term, and for good reason.

Mara knows that a team that tanks can’t talk about tanking. If it does, Ted Wells would instantly set up an encampment on the outer fringes of said team’s anal cleft.

Integrity of the game. Integrity of the game. Any effort not to win each an every game is an affront to the integrity of the game, so any team that would ever admit to not trying to win each and every game would find itself in the jaws of a trying investigation.

It’s an easy mess to avoid, because the league doesn’t want to investigate a team for tanking. Instead, the league wants to continue to pretend that it doesn’t happen, even if it does. So the path to avoid scrutiny is to never admit to tanking, and to always deny it whenever the subject comes up.

That’s why there’s no draft lottery. Think of the interest that yet another offseason tentpole could drive premised on determining the draft order would generate. But having a lottery would mean acknowledging the benefit that flows from losing. Which would encourage more tanking. Which would never be tolerated by the league office.

So, yes, the Giants are tanking. And, yes, Mara’s profane response is aimed at ensuring that no one ever realizes that they’re tanking.

That’s not criticism. They should be tanking. Who cares about the difference between 2-14 and 5-11? If the lesser record means securing a better chance to get the next quarterback who will be unceremoniously kicked to the curb in November 2031, so be it.

Indeed, if the Giants end up having dibs over the Jets and the Giants get a franchise quarterback and the Jets don’t, it will have all been worth it, millions of times over.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/12/05/report-eli-manning-will-start-sunday/

Report: Eli Manning will start Sunday
Posted by Josh Alper on December 5, 2017

884939304-e1512503436164.jpg

Getty Images

Giants co-owner John Mara insisted on Monday that the way Ben McAdoo handled the organizational decision to look at quarterbacks not named Eli Manning had nothing to do with the organizational decision to deactivate McAdoo’s key card with four games left in the season.

Mara did say that he was cognizant of how upset fans were about the decision and mentioned a desire to avoid an ugly scene at this Sunday’s game against the Cowboys related to Manning watching while Geno Smith plays, but said it was up to interim coach Steve Spagnuolo to make a call. It appears Spagnuolo has made the call and it’s unsurprisingly one that should placate the angry masses.

Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that the team held meetings on Tuesday to set the game plan for this week and finalized the decision to move Manning back into the starting lineup. It will be the 211th start of Manning’s career, but the one-week break means he’ll be at the back of the list when it comes to consecutive starts.

Mara made it clear on Monday that he had signed off on a plan to give Smith and rookie Davis Webb playing time before McAdoo told Manning and made it public. The Giants’ hope was that Manning would start games before giving way to one of the other quarterbacks, but Manning balked at such an idea. It’s unclear if there will be any attempt to see what Webb can do in the final four weeks, although it’s hard to see what would have changed about the rationale Mara was on board with at this point last week.