Benched: Eli Manning’s streak of 210 consecutive regular-season starts comes to an end

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...-eli-manning-geno-smith-will-start-on-sunday/

Giants bench Eli Manning, Geno Smith will start on Sunday
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 28, 2017

841351970-e1511901315815.jpg

Getty Images

Eli Manning has been benched. For Geno Smith.

In a stunning announcement Tuesday afternoon, Giants coach Ben McAdoo said Smith will start over Manning in Sunday’s game against the Raiders. The Giants are also planning to play rookie quarterback Davis Webb this season, McAdoo said, although it’s unclear whether Webb will play on Sunday.

Geno will start this week,” McAdoo said. “Over the last five games, we will take a look at Geno, and we will also give Davis an opportunity.”

The move ends Manning’s streak of 210 consecutive regular-season starts, the second-longest streak in NFL history behind Brett Favre’s record of 297. Manning has started every game since he was named the starter late in his rookie season. McAdoo offered to allow Manning to start the game and play briefly if he wanted to keep the streak alive, but Manning said he didn’t think that would be right.

“Coach McAdoo told me I could continue to start while Geno and Davis are given an opportunity to play,” Manning said. “My feeling is that if you are going to play the other guys, play them. Starting just to keep the streak going and knowing you won’t finish the game and have a chance to win it is pointless to me, and it tarnishes the streak. Like I always have, I will be ready to play if and when I am needed. I will help Geno and Davis prepare to play as well as they possibly can.”

The Giants have been eliminated from playoff contention, and now they’re in full-on rebuilding mode, with their franchise quarterback taking a seat.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Wow, you know you've hit a low when your last name is Manning and you are benched for Geno Smith.

Wow.

Psycho_X

Legend
If they had a young, unknown rookie or second year player they want to test I could understand this move. But it's Geno Smith. Have fun getting fired McAdoo.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
How is McApoo still a head coach...

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Eli reportedly passed on starting but being replaced early in game to sustain streak. Gotta give the dude some respect on that.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
If they had a young, unknown rookie or second year player they want to test I could understand this move. But it's Geno Smith. Have fun getting fired McAdoo.
But they DO have a young gun who still has potential upside in Davis Webb. And they're going with Geno Smith instead?!?

McAdoo is McA-DONE!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If McAdoo thinks this is going to fix the problem he's really, really dumb.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
To put it as a friend of mine did, Eli being benched for Geno Smith is like Sean McVay's girlfriend dumping him for NJ Governor Chris Christie ...

RAMNATION

Rookie
I agree with the move, evaluate all the talent on the team. you never really know what you have untill you try it in game conditions.

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
McAdoo is so done lol which makes this move even more head scratching. They are doing Eli wrong in my opinion. He’s earned the right to go out in a better way than this. I could see the fans turning on the team even more now. Could get ugly.

TexasRam

Legend
Idiotic. The problem is not the QB.

To put the blame on Eli who’s won two Super Bowls for this organization is just disrespectful.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Idiotic. The problem is not the QB.

To put the blame on Eli who’s won two Super Bowls for this organization is just disrespectful.

I think this will be Eli's last hurrah. Poor guy probably felt so bad he thought he was the problem. I think McAdoo should lose his job immediately, and have Spags interim til next year.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Eli handled this like a real professional.

That once proud franchise has now morphed into a clown show... wait... that's an insult to clown shows, let's call it a shit show.

Fine with me though cause I can't stand that team.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think this will be Eli's last hurrah. Poor guy probably felt so bad he thought he was the problem. I think McAdoo should lose his job immediately, and have Spags interim til next year.

Giants know they need to lose out to try to position themselves in the #1 or #2 slot for a QB. Flippin QBs helps them to lose games IMO. If they win even one or two games they'll probably need to spend a fortune in picks to move up, that's how coveted Darnold and Rosen will be.