Benched: Eli Manning’s streak of 210 consecutive regular-season starts comes to an end

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you secretly trying to rag on Spags still? :cool:

i will.

his signature, go to play was punting the ball away to the opposition. it was the play he was most comfortable with.

it was all part of his strategy. sit on a one td lead in the first qtr, make no mistakes, go 3 and out for the rest of the game, punt the ball away and let the d win the game in the last 3 qtrs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wow.
Eli has played well considering the injuries and bs coaching staff.
Foolish move by McDone
Absolutely
62% comp, 14-7 td to INT ratio (Career best 1.8 INT %) 84 QB rating (slightly above career average)
All while missing 4 of his top WR and playing behind quite possibly the worst o-line in football....

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
This is the same Eli Manning who led his team to 11-5 last year and has two Super Bowl rings right? I mean I know it never ends well for QBs but surely he’s earned the right to finish things in a more positive manner than this? I’m obviously not a giants fan and i don’t particularly like nor dislike Eli but it’s a damn shame imo.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Are you secretly trying to rag on Spags still?
Not at all, and its a fair question. But seriously no, the suspensions and whatnot have a lot to do with him. He's a hardazz on some guys and lets others get away with lots of stuff. Its a circus

LuvMeThemRams

Rookie
Eli has to be so pissed, McAdoo is responsible for this and Eli gets punished? I see Eli in a Broncos uniform next year. Deja vue all over again, maybe the Broncos still have leftover jerseys with Manning on the back.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure of Eli's contract situation, but I am guessing the starting QB for the 2018 Browns, will be him. Ha!
I'm thinking Denver, Jacksonville or maybe even Washington if Cousins takes off

With Coughlin in Jax it almost makes too much sense

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
If McIdiot is the Giants coach next year they deserve to go 0-16..The guy just seems to do and/or say things for no apparent reason... Just change for the sake of change...

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Keep in mind that Eli Manning was the same selfish individual who refused to play for the Chargers when he was drafted by them. That said, this move by McAdoo is wrong. It's almost like he's trolling the owners to get fired.
*********************************************************************************************
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/28/the-giants-are-tanking/

The Giants are tanking
Posted by Mike Foolio on November 28, 2017

873379220-e1511903226540.jpg

Getty Images

The Giants are doing that which everyone thought the Jets would be doing.

With full knowledge and appreciation of the fact that their season is lost, the Giants are choosing to lose as many games as possible, in order to set up the best possible draft positioning for 2018.

Sure, they’ll deny it. But anyone who gets it knows what’s going on. It’s a tanking, plain and simple.

And there’s nothing wrong with it. If you’re going to lose anyway, losing as many as possibly creates a very real win.(One of the dumber things Foolio has posted. Losing perpetuates more losing).

Not that new starter Geno Smith will try to lose. That’s not how tanking in the NFL works. The players and the coaches (except in some cases, like the Bucs vs. the Saints in Week 17 of the 2014 season for the Jameis Winston pick) will try to win. Tanking happens when an organization decides to see what the backups can do in a given game, necessarily making it harder to win the given game.

Although the decision to bench Eli Manning for Geno Smith will be presented as being made by coach Ben McAdoo, don’t kid yourself. He’s doing what he’s told by others who realize the value of being so bad that it enhances the chances of being good, sooner than later.

So enjoy the ride, Giants fans. You already knew the destination. If the team plays it just right (wrong) down the stretch, the Giants could end up with one of the top picks in each round of the draft — and maybe they’ll have their next Eli Manning by this time next year.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/11/28/giants-should-release-eli-manning/

Giants should release Eli Manning
Posted by Mike Foolio on November 28, 2017

878109830-e1511905355580.jpg

Getty Images

Fourteen loyal years of service, more than 200 straight starts, and a pair of Lombardi Trophies that wouldn’t have been won without him ultimately didn’t secure for Eli Manning the ability to end the 2017 season as the Giants’ starting quarterback.

Even though coach Ben McAdoo says that the decision to bench Eli for Geno Smith doesn’t mean that Eli’s time with the team is done (as if McAdoo will be making any of those decisions), the Giants should do the right thing by Eli Manning and cut him.

Surely, he won’t be back with the team in 2018. Given the structure of his contract, he’ll likely be cut not long after the Super Bowl. So cut him now. Let him go.

Actually, he may not want to be released. If released, Eli would be subject to waivers. Anyone (including the Browns) could claim his contract. If he fails to show up, Manning would owe the team that claims him more than $12.4 million.

So who would be inclined to claim him on waiver? The Browns surely would consider it, as would the Bills, the Jets (maybe), the Jaguars, the Texans, the Broncos, and the Cardinals. But if he had no interest in playing for any of those teams, would the team go through with grabbing his rights?

Eli’s preference surely would be to become a free agent, and to join the most viable contender he could find: The Jaguars, where he’d be reunited with Tom Coughlin.

Even if it doesn’t happen this year, that could be exactly what happens comes 2018.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Giants are a total mess and need to clean house. I fully expect an entirely new coaching staff and front office, for one. Eli deserves to have a shot with a playoff team, and him going out like this is extremely disrespectful by McAdoo. Typical action of a rookie head coach trying to save his job.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Giants are a total mess and need to clean house. I fully expect an entirely new coaching staff and front office, for one. Eli deserves to have a shot with a playoff team, and him going out like this is extremely disrespectful by McAdoo. Typical action of a rookie head coach trying to save his job.

The consequences are definitely going to backfire. McAdoodie thinks he is doing the right thing, the players will quit on him like they did against us, and fans will call for his head. He is toast. Literally.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
At least the Rams FO had the common sense to remove the cancer before it infected everyone

The last coach never threw his players under the bus or treated them like shit. Players at least respected him. Yeah he made mistakes, but no where near the level of this dolt.

LA_vision

Hall of Fame
Eli is pure class. Hopefully he finds a way to the Jags and goes for a last Superbowl bowl run.

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
I agree with the move, evaluate all the talent on the team. you never really know what you have untill you try it in game conditions.
But they already know what they have in Geno Smith. Geno is a FA at end of season - he won’t be back with the team. Move makes no sense whatsoever.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
images

Can't wait to see Mc-A-Don't eat crow after Smith takes them to a new low! Shameful.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wasn't that mainly the old man? (that's what I recall)

Archie claimed otherwise. If everyone decided who they would or would not play for, then the NFL draft would become meaningless. If I recall correctly, John Elway pulled the same stunt.
**********************************************************************************
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-on-why-eli-refused-to-play-for-the-chargers/

Just days before the draft, Manning's agent Tom Condon, told the Chargers that Eli would sit out the entire 2004 season if the team drafted him with the first overall pick.

At the time, former Chargers general manager A.J. Smith partly blamed Eli's dad, Archie Manning, for the mess.

"[Condon] told me that Archie wishes that we do not select Eli and that they think he would be a good fit in New York (with the Giants)," Smith said in 2004, via the San Diego Union Tribune. "We understand his position and certainly understand his interest in New York, but we will do what we think is the best for the franchise."

There were a lot of theories on why Eli didn't want to play for the Chargers. The Union-Tribune reported that the Manning camp didn't want Eli's career to end up like Archie's. The elder Manning spent 11 years in New Orleans and never had a winning record with the team.

Going into 2004, the Chargers were on an ugly run and had only put together a total of four winning seasons since 1983.

Although Archie has long been viewed as one of the main instigators in Eli's decision, he recently disputed that notion. In an interview with the Rich Eisen Show, Archie said he had nothing to do with Eli's threat to sit out the season if the Chargers drafted him.

"It was a decision that Eli and Tom Condon kind of made, but Eli ultimately pulled the trigger on that and that's what he, doing his due diligence, decided to do," Archie Manning said. "I can't say it was pleasant from our end. Most people thought I orchestrated it, but I didn't. I don't tell my kids what to do or make their decisions."

In Archie's version of the story, Eli came to him for advice, but never asked him directly what he should do.

"It's a tough deal. It's hard. That was the only thing I told Eli when he told me he was going to do that," Archie said. "Think about it hard. If that's your conviction and what you want to do, then that's fine, and that's what he did."

In the end, the Chargers would end up drafting Eli with the No. 1 overall pick and trading him to the Giants. However, before the trade went down, Eli had to pose for what will likely go down as the most awkward draft day photo in NFL history.

In 2013, before the Giants played in San Diego, Eli was asked why he didn't want to play for the Chargers.

His answer?

"I forgot."

It's been theorized that the Manning camp didn't like the way the Chargers handled quarterbacks -- Drew Brees had a rough first two seasons in San Diego, and that came after the Ryan Leaf debacle. There's also the possibility that Condon thought the Chargers wouldn't be a good fit. At the time, Condon represented the Chargers coach (Marty Schottenheimer), quarterback (Brees) and running back (LaDainian Tomlinson).

Ironically enough, the Chargers are one of only three teams that Eli Manning has never beaten in his career, along with the Colts and the Giants.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The last coach never threw his players under the bus or treated them like crap. Players at least respected him. Yeah he made mistakes, but no where near the level of this dolt.
So true. He may have been unsuccessful but he sure seems a good dude.