Austin Blythe to Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Shuie3225

Starter
Blythe to the Chiefs. So we sign Reiter now or we're just fucked heading into the draft. Being forced to draft a starting Center at 57 is not a situation you want to be in.

Still can't believe this wasn't our priority. Could have signed a top center, let Floyd walk, got a 3rd round comp pick and signed a cheaper FA edge option. Crazy, crazy, crazy approach we're taking.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
The Rams FO does not need to justify its personnel decision making to fans who think they know better.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Blythe to the Chiefs. So we sign Reiter now or we're just fucked heading into the draft. Being forced to draft a starting Center at 57 is not a situation you want to be in.

Still can't believe this wasn't our priority. Could have signed a top center, let Floyd walk, got a 3rd round comp pick and signed a cheaper FA edge option. Crazy, crazy, crazy approach we're taking.

That's b/c centers aren't valued as much by teams compared to how fans do. That's why not many are taken in the draft, and the ones that do bounce from team to team over their career, with some expectations of course.

Shuie3225

Starter
The Rams FO does not need to justify its personnel decision making to fans who think they know better.

Well interior OL was a big question mark last off-season, the FO did nothing to address it, and it was yet again arguably the biggest weakness on offense. Questioning their approach to the OL is extremely reasonable, especially when Allen and Noteboom appear to be whiffs.

We prioritized signing a position in free agency (edge) that had many cheaper options available, all who would've had great production playing next to AD. Not to mention losing out on a free 3rd rounder next year. Now we're stuck with a potential below average FA signing, a rookie center, or someone on our roster playing an entirely new position next year. Its a questionable approach at best.

Shuie3225

Starter
That's b/c centers aren't valued as much by teams compared to how fans do. That's why not many are taken in the draft, and the ones that do bounce from team to team over their career, with some expectations of course.

There's less centers drafted because its the only singular position on OL whereas there's 2 guards and tackles. That doesn't mean they're less valued. Three pro bowl caliber centers just signed this off-season and we could've made a play for one.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Still on an NFL team tho. A good one.
Yes it is one of the 32 teams. Doesn't change Blythe who's that guy you settle for if you can't get anything better. We also don't know any of the contract details and it's just one year. It could essentially be a 1 year vet minimum to compete for a job or be a cheap backup. Signing with the Chiefs doesn't make Blythe better or worse, it just means he has potentially a job.

Rams FO clearly doesn't value him or they like a rookie or one of the other guys on the roster more than Blythe. I'm done questioning the FO moves, tired of myself and others having our fandom questioned because we think different things should have been done. For now we have no starting center. I'm sure they'll fill the spot though since it's pretty important.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
till can't believe this wasn't our priority. Could have signed a top center, let Floyd walk, got a 3rd round comp pick, and signed a cheaper FA edge option. The crazy, crazy, crazy approach we're taking.
Snead and McVay have proven they don't put a high value on interior linemen-- it's their Achilles heel

btfd16

Rookie
Didn't want Blythe back so I am thankful. That being said, put a lot of investment into a QB with a presumably "now" window. Logic would tell you they'd invest in protecting him as well.

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
There's less centers drafted because its the only singular position on OL whereas there's 2 guards and tackles. That doesn't mean they're less valued. Three pro bowl caliber centers just signed this off-season and we could've made a play for one.

How do you know we didnt make a play for one?

ScotsRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Niall
Didn't want Blythe back so I am thankful. That being said, put a lot of investment into a QB with a presumably "now" window. Logic would tell you they'd invest in protecting him as well.

Its March. They have 6 months to figure it out.

Angry Ram

I made a whole thread on how many centers get taken every year, and which rounds.

Spoiler: Less than 10/year and most often in the back half of drafts. OT and OG are also surprisingly less taken than this fan-driven idea of OL importance. If you factor in there's only 2 spots for those the real LTs or RGs or w/e get really diluted. By far the most taken position are corners. LBs, and WRs.

btfd16

Rookie
Its March. They have 6 months to figure it out.
I agree. But that's not what I am saying. I am saying investing into the "now" window. After Austin Reiter (maybe Garland?), I wouldn't consider any other FA or drafting a C as a significant investment in that window. Not saying it's the wrong move, just connecting imaginary dots.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I made a whole thread on how many centers get taken every year, and which rounds.

Spoiler: Less than 10/year and most often in the back half of drafts. OT and OG are also surprisingly less taken than this fan-driven idea of OL importance. If you factor in there's only 2 spots for those the real LTs or RGs or w/e get really diluted. By far the most taken position are corners. LBs, and WRs.

You can and do have at least 3 CB sometimes 4 on the field same with WR and LB. Apples to oranges.

Angry Ram

Yes it is one of the 32 teams. Doesn't change Blythe who's that guy you settle for if you can't get anything better. We also don't know any of the contract details and it's just one year. It could essentially be a 1 year vet minimum to compete for a job or be a cheap backup. Signing with the Chiefs doesn't make Blythe better or worse, it just means he has potentially a job.

Rams FO clearly doesn't value him or they like a rookie or one of the other guys on the roster more than Blythe. I'm done questioning the FO moves, tired of myself and others having our fandom questioned because we think different things should have been done. For now we have no starting center. I'm sure they'll fill the spot though since it's pretty important.

FTR my post wasn't RE - whether you wanting an upgrade a C or w/e position. I don't think Austin Blythe deserves all the shit he's getting. He was a decent player. Nothing more nothing less.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Well, at least McVay and Snead will finally be forced to address the position instead of continuing under the delusion that Blythe wasn't somehow a huge weakness for this team, and clearly the weakest link on our OL.

Angry Ram

You can and do have at least 3 CB sometimes 4 on the field same with WR and LB. Apples to oranges.

Wasn't comparing positions man. Simply stating findings.

OL as a whole are taken much less on a yearly basis than people think. Especially C.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
FTR my post wasn't RE - whether you wanting an upgrade a C or w/e position. I don't think Austin Blythe deserves all the shit he's getting. He was a decent player. Nothing more nothing less.
Which is exactly what I said in what you quoted. You settle for him when you can't get something better. He's not terrible but calling him good also wouldn't be accurate. A question for you though. After Noteboom went down who was the weak link in the OL? I'd wager the vast majority of responses from Rams fans and fans of teams we played would be Blythe.