Austin Blythe to Chiefs

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

good move on blythe's part, any mistakes he makes will be masked by mahommes running around and making a play. he may become the #1 centre at pff.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75

View: https://twitter.com/JourdanRodrigue/status/1376995904952037377?s=20

This is exactly what it is. We're now playing poker with our cards face up. Everyone in the NFL knows we're taking a center or guard at 57. And if for some reason some stud Edge or CB falls we either wont be able to draft him, or risk entering the season with a complete hole at center. Which is still a possibility at this point regardless of who we draft. Blythe wasn't good, but he was insurance and depth which allowed us to enter the draft with flexibility and unless we sign Reiter that is gone.

You still cant rely on a rookie though to protect the asset you gave up so much for. Even if you do draft a center no guarantee he is very good to all pro especially initially. This was one gamble they lost unless they have something else in mind.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Is that what I said? Don't criticize the head coach and front office? I've criticized McVay a number of times this year.

Again, a misquote. Sure criticize but perhaps lean on logic a bit. "They didn't have a plan" because they didn't sign a guy MOST Ram fans didn't think should be resigned. If they were "banking" on Blythe not getting a single offer, then he wasn't worth signing anyway.

*Logic*

They are not beyond reproach. I think I covered that above and with many of my previous posts.
You're essentially telling people to trust the pros and not over-react. Over-reacting equates to criticizing. I honestly just like hearing the back and forth since who knows who's right. No matter what happens, people are either going to be with or against the moves the Rams make and voice their thoughts. I'm simply voicing my thoughts in relation to your comments. I'm at the point where I'm just spectating and hoping it all works out.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Jourdan is reading this wrong. She needs to watch Blythe's tape.

What just happened is we lost a backup level player.
I would bet even money that Snead is using her, either with or without her knowledge, to put this out on Twitter.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Is Brian Allen as good as Blythe? Maybe the Rams think he is. Don't be surprised is he is starting this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The Rams FO does not need to justify its personnel decision making to fans who think they know better.

LMAO - should have never signed Whitworth. Sign Trent Williams & Alex Mack.. Oh - make. Trade to draft a rookie QB with Goff & 2 - 1st rd picks.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
FTR my post wasn't RE - whether you wanting an upgrade a C or w/e position. I don't think Austin Blythe deserves all the shit he's getting. He was a decent player. Nothing more nothing less.

Agree - but what about Brian Allen ??

I’ll never stop questioning the moves The Rams make. What I’m doing is opposite of Old School who still is doubting & pretending Brian Allen has been The Rams choice at CENTER.
Some around here say C. Like he was a Rams Captain??
McSnead talked about what John Sullivan & Austin Blythe meant a Center. I agree he was a team leader & has meant a lot to the Organization.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Posted this right after The SuperBowl loss . Maybe not a good example. The point was Austin Blythe was a backup G/C IMO. He is a way better CENTER than Guard. Could he start for The Rams ? Yes - but The Rams can do way better & are up against the cap.
2022 The Rams will need to have the O”Line more INORDER .

Shuie3225

Starter
Jourdan is reading this wrong. She needs to watch Blythe's tape.

What just happened is we lost a backup level player.

Thats not the point. The point is the situation we now find ourselves in at center. With no upgrades on the FA market, we now have two options: move someone on the roster to center who is completely unproven there, or draft a rookie with our early pick and hope he's plug and play.

We should have gotten aggressive this FA and signed one of the MANY good interior options out there. We chose Floyd. The issue is center was by far the weakest part of the OL for 2 years now and we didn't aggressively make moves to improve it. And guess what, there is a legit decent chance whoever plays center in 2021 is WORSE than Blythe. People aren't thinking about that possibility but its real.

Remember when Noteboom and Allen were getting groomed to step into starting roles and the OL was going to improve or stay the same?

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
You still cant rely on a rookie though to protect the asset you gave up so much for. Even if you do draft a center no guarantee he is very good to all pro especially initially. This was one gamble they lost unless they have something else in mind.
They couldn’t rely on Blythe either.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Have a strong feeling Corbett moves to center and Anchrum slides into RG.

Whit/Edwards/Corbett/Anch/Hav

Then we'll hopefully have some flexibility in the draft and can go with center or guard.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
They couldn’t rely on Blythe either.

To an extent i agree but there is a big difference in familiarity and have to scramble now. Was definitely not a Blythe fan either. I wanted an upgrade that said I'd go with Blythe over a rookie. Again I will say can't push all your chips in and then fold when it comes to another important hand. Fingers crossed they have something up there sleeve.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Because we signed Floyd, thats how I know. Snead and McVay said he was their priority. So instead of bolstering the interior OL with a stud pro bowl caliber player, we chose defense. When we go after people we get them. We've shown that time and time again in FA and in the draft.
Knowing that reality states you can't spend the big bucks bolstering every position room...which rooms/positions would you spend on? Pretend its a video game and you have 25 experience points(which is cash) to dole out. Lol

QB
WR/TE
OT
OG
C
DE
DT
EDGE
ILB
S
CB

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
There's no way the Rams hide the cards right now.

Either way you put it, the Rams probably thought they'd be smart and let Blythe test the market to show his value isn't where he thought, and he'd come back.

Well now, they're in a pickle. Anyone who remembers Allen at C remembers that it was like watching a worse Tim Barnes. They keep gambling young/inexperienced at OL, and ILB and the last few years, they've been the liability on O and D.

If you feel comfortable going into the season with Allen and Shelton at C, you're borderline crazy. Corbett was a failure at C for the Browns which was his last chance before being traded here.

And then we miss out on Lindsey (due to cap) and the Pro Bowl C the Cardinals just traded for, FOR A 3rd RD PICK!

The complete lack of aggression to try and get a C is mind blowing.

And now, everyone knows what the hell we need to draft, giving other teams the chance to leap us and get some of the tops.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Can we some how Mark this thread so we can revisit it in November?