Want a center early in the draft? You'll probably be disappointed.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I know this is the biggest position being talked about, but if you look back in the draft, centers (and OL as a whole) just aren't valued the same. For a position group that always have 5 players. I went back and looked at how many centers and other OL were taken in each draft. Bold = first round pick.

2010:

C: 6, OT: 23, OG: 9​
Maurkice Pouncey, J.D. Walton, Matt Tennat, Eric Olsen, Ted Larsen, Eric Cook​

2011:

C: 6, OT: 22, OG: 13​
Mike Pouncey, Stefen Wisniewski, Brandon Fusco, Jason Kelce, Zack Williams, Bill Nagy​

2012:

C: 4, OT: 19, OG: 21​
Peter Konz, Ben Jones, Philip Blake, David Molk​

2013:

C: 5, OT: 18, OG: 19​
Travis Frederick, Brian Schwenke, Khaled Holmes, Eric Kush, T.J. Johnston​

2014:

C: 10, OT: 20, OG: 15​
Weston Richburg, Marcus Martin, Travis Swanson, Bryan Stork, Russell Bodine, Corey Linsley, Wesley Johnson, Luke Bowanko, Matt Paradis, Demetrius Rhaney​

2015:

C: 4, OT: 27, OG 16​
Hroniss Grasu, , Max Garcis, Andy Gallik, Austin Reiter​

2016:

C: 8, OT: 20, OG: 13​
Ryan Kelly, Nick Martin, Max Tuerk, Issac Seumalo, Graham Glagsow, Evan Boehm, Joey Hunt, Austin Blythe​

2017:

C: 7, OT: 16, OG: 11​
Ethan Pocic, Pat Elfein, Sean Harlow, JJ Dielman, Chase Roullier, Kyler Fuller​

2018:

C: 8, OT: 21, OG: 9​
Frank Ragnow, Billy Brice, James Daniels, Mason Cole, Brian Allen, Scott Quessenberry, Bradley Bozeman, Will Clapp​

2019:

C: 4, OT: 23, OG: 12 (note wikipedia list Elgton Jenkins as a C for some reason)​
Garrett Bradbury, Erik McCoy, Lamont Gaillard, Javon Patterson​

2020:

C: 9, OT: 20, OG: 18​
Cesar Ruiz, Matt Hennessy, Lloyd Cushenberry, Tyler Biadasz, Keith Ismael, Nick Harris, Jake Hanson, Dustin Woodard, Kyle Hinton​

What I find interesting is that based on the number of centers and OL as a whole, they aren't nearly as valuable as the internet makes them out to be. By far the top 3 positions taken each year are corner, linebacker, and receiver. No more than 10 centers go each year. Just doesn't appear to be a high target position.

What I found is most centers are taken late or go undrafted and teams will make do what they have. Just a hunch the Rams to be taking a center @ 57. Maybe with one of their 3rd comp picks if they find one, but even then it's a long shot.

Look at OTs and OGs, too. Averaging about 20 for OT and 13 for OG. And factor in each team needs two. Its very diluted.

Just some thoughts to remember come April and they take a WR or something @ 57.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Good post! History is always a good measure to go by.

Rams might have to look hard @ trading one of their non-center OL'ers for a starting center. I hear the Lions have a good one.

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Also, you need to factor in that a Center is the only singular position on the OL. There are 2 Guards and 2 Tackles. Thus the need for teams is twice as much for those positions as center, and, in turn, there in generally at least twice as many guards and tackles in the draft and drafted. Of course, some centers end up playing guards and vice versa. Either way, interesting post

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I don’t think we want to find our center in the draft. Sign someone proven.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I would agree 100% with your first sentence when we are speaking of this upcoming season. What would your description of "Proven" be exactly?

Could he be an OL'er with previous starts @ other OL positions or does he have to be specifically tied to starting @ center to meet your proven standard?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
C5B803F6-AB65-4513-B4DC-31AA786ECDD2.jpeg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Sign Reiter. Draft a guy for the future somewhere midrounds. I think that's where things are going. That allows them to get after impact types on day two.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Most teams roll with JAGs that have been cut or signed off other teams' practice squads anyway. They'll sign him for a few years or so and then find someone else.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I would agree 100% with your first sentence when we are speaking of this upcoming season. What would your description of "Proven" be exactly?

Could he be an OL'er with previous starts @ other OL positions or does he have to be specifically tied to starting @ center to meet your proven standard?

I wouldn’t feel comfortable with a projection. Experience.

Someone who fits the makeup of the line. Even if a John Sullivan type. (y)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
One advantage for the Rams here too is the QB position. Matthew P Stafford Esquire changes that equation IMO. Just look at the comments from his last center...

“Matthew Stafford, I don’t think anyone will ever be able to top my favorite teammate ever,” Ragnow saids. “Toughness, passion, competitiveness, everything. I can’t say enough about the guy, and I’m excited to see what he does in Los Angeles.”

On the field, Ragnow was in awe with Stafford’s intelligence. Though Ragnow was responsible for protection calls on offense, sometimes he could sense Stafford was just waiting for Ragnow to call the protection he already wanted.

“He’s a savant when it comes to reading defenses,” Ragnow said. “Blows my mind. It got to a point, so I would make a lot of the protection calls, but he would know. He would know a call he wants to do and he would switch it—he obviously had last say—but I would make the switch and he would be like, ‘There we go, buddy. I was waiting on you.’”

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does the above mean maybe they take a guy like Meinerz and let Stafford train him up? Probably not but I wouldn't rule it out in spite of Snead's comments. Could be smoke screen.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Does the above mean maybe they take a guy like Meinerz and let Stafford train him up? Probably not but I wouldn't rule it out in spite of Snead's comments. Could be smoke screen.

The way Meinerz has moved up the board, I doubt he'll be available to us where we pick in the 3'rd, and this also raises the question of who starts at Center opening day.
Your earlier post really just intensifies my interest in trading Kupp for Ragnow, Goff should like it just as much as Stafford would, and Detroit has plenty of good draft picks to grab another Center. jmo.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Phew, that was a close one. Thank goodness we don't have any early round picks!!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The way Meinerz has moved up the board, I doubt he'll be available to us where we pick in the 3'rd, and this also raises the question of who starts at Center opening day.
Your earlier post really just intensifies my interest in trading Kupp for Ragnow, Goff should like it just as much as Stafford would, and Detroit has plenty of good draft picks to grab another Center. jmo.
Yeah I fear Meinerz has risen past our range in round 2 but never know. I just drafted him at 101 but of course we could never get that lucky in a real draft.

This is probably my best mock, had the choice of OT or C in round 4 and took the tackle over Myers because I like Christensen as a dev option. PFF's is the most fun to use because you get some really nice fallers. I mean maybe I'm biased with Griffin but getting him round 6 surprised me. Also we have really nice OT options at 52 on almost every run. Too bad we can't really count on any of that translating to the real draft oh well.

1615671264270.png

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Even if we had a first round pick for a center we wouldn't see a starter for at least a year, maybe more. Orlando Pace took over a year to become a good player so most won't be a capable lineman for at least that long. We need a solution right now and then draft for the future.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Even if we had a first round pick for a center we wouldn't see a starter for at least a year, maybe more. Orlando Pace took over a year to become a good player so most won't be a capable lineman for at least that long. We need a solution right now and then draft for the future.

If the Rams had a bunch of higher round picks I might agree, but I'd rather not burn another draft pick on a later round center AND have to pursue a temporary starter in free agency. I'd prefer we bite the bullet now on a long-term free agent Center and use our limited draft picks elsewhere. jmo.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
As I've been saying, there is no way I can fathom the Rams drafting a center with their second round pick.

I've been pounding this drum for a while now.

A few of the centers in this coming draft have been getting more buzz recently.

Landon Dickerson, Alabama
Pro Football Focus gives Dickerson an overall grade of 91.3 — 76.2 pass blocking, 92.8 run blocking. He allowed three sacks each in his first two seasons at Florida State but has only given up one sack since 2018. In 1,269 pass-blocking snaps, the 6’6, 325-pound center has allowed 34 quarterback pressures. He also has some experience at left and right guard.

Durability is a big concern. In five seasons, Dickerson suffered four season-ending injuries: Torn ACL (2016, 2020) and ankle (2017, 2018). His sole healthy season was in 2019.Humphrey earned an overall PFF grade of 81.9 — 68.4 pass blocking, 86.4 run blocking. In three seasons (redshirted freshman year) — including playoffs — he didn’t give up a single sack. The 6’5, 320-pound Sooner earned the starting nod in his first season (2018) and allowed 30 QB pressures in 1,359 pass plays. Durability doesn’t appear to be an issue for Humphrey, as he never missed a game in 39 matchups.

Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
Humphrey earned an overall PFF grade of 81.9 — 68.4 pass blocking, 86.4 run blocking. In three seasons (redshirted freshman year) — including playoffs — he didn’t give up a single sack. The 6’5, 320-pound Sooner earned the starting nod in his first season (2018) and allowed 30 QB pressures in 1,359 pass plays. Durability doesn’t appear to be an issue for Humphrey, as he never missed a game in 39 matchups.

Josh Myers, Ohio State
Touted as one of the best centers in Ohio State’s history, Myers’ blocking helped lead the way for the school’s first-ever 2,000-yard running back, J.K. Dobbins, and Heisman Trophy finalist Justin Fields (51 total touchdowns). According to PFF, Myers grades at 65.4 overall — 65.9 pass and 63.9 run blocking. The 6’5, 312-pound center allowed six sacks in 30 games and 755 pass plays.

Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater
Meinerz never played center at the collegiate level, but that’s how he’s being projected heading into the NFL draft thanks to a strong showing at the Reese’s Senior Bowl. Coming from a small school, the 6’3, 320-pound Warhawk’s versatility to play any interior position should help his stock come draft time. Meinerz helped the offense lead the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference in rushing (195.7 yards per game) and first downs (310), average 30.1 points and 376.7 total yards per game and allow only 21 sacks for the season. Unfortunately, Wisconsin-Whitewater’s 2020 football season was canceled due to COVID.

Drake Jackson, Kentucky
Overall, PFF grades Jackson at 84 — 69.9 pass blocking and 85.7 run blocking. In 1,364 pass plays, he’s allowed just one sack in his Kentucky career (47 games; 44 consecutive starts). He was the anchor of the Wildcats’ offensive line for four seasons and, during his redshirt freshman and sophomore seasons, blocked for current Steelers running back Benny Snell.

In those seasons, Jackson helped Snell become Kentucky’s all-time leading rusher and the first player in school history to rush for 1,000 in three straight seasons. According to Reese’s Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy, Jackson separated his shoulder on the second snap of the Senior Bowl but played the rest of the game.

american-football-center-snap-side-cartoon-vector-clipart_csp19740208.jpg

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
As I've been saying, there is no way I can fathom the Rams drafting a center with their second round pick.

I've been pounding this drum for a while now.

A few of the centers in this coming draft have been getting more buzz recently.

Landon Dickerson, Alabama
Pro Football Focus gives Dickerson an overall grade of 91.3 — 76.2 pass blocking, 92.8 run blocking. He allowed three sacks each in his first two seasons at Florida State but has only given up one sack since 2018. In 1,269 pass-blocking snaps, the 6’6, 325-pound center has allowed 34 quarterback pressures. He also has some experience at left and right guard.

Durability is a big concern. In five seasons, Dickerson suffered four season-ending injuries: Torn ACL (2016, 2020) and ankle (2017, 2018). His sole healthy season was in 2019.Humphrey earned an overall PFF grade of 81.9 — 68.4 pass blocking, 86.4 run blocking. In three seasons (redshirted freshman year) — including playoffs — he didn’t give up a single sack. The 6’5, 320-pound Sooner earned the starting nod in his first season (2018) and allowed 30 QB pressures in 1,359 pass plays. Durability doesn’t appear to be an issue for Humphrey, as he never missed a game in 39 matchups.

Creed Humphrey, Oklahoma
Humphrey earned an overall PFF grade of 81.9 — 68.4 pass blocking, 86.4 run blocking. In three seasons (redshirted freshman year) — including playoffs — he didn’t give up a single sack. The 6’5, 320-pound Sooner earned the starting nod in his first season (2018) and allowed 30 QB pressures in 1,359 pass plays. Durability doesn’t appear to be an issue for Humphrey, as he never missed a game in 39 matchups.

Josh Myers, Ohio State
Touted as one of the best centers in Ohio State’s history, Myers’ blocking helped lead the way for the school’s first-ever 2,000-yard running back, J.K. Dobbins, and Heisman Trophy finalist Justin Fields (51 total touchdowns). According to PFF, Myers grades at 65.4 overall — 65.9 pass and 63.9 run blocking. The 6’5, 312-pound center allowed six sacks in 30 games and 755 pass plays.

Quinn Meinerz, Wisconsin-Whitewater
Meinerz never played center at the collegiate level, but that’s how he’s being projected heading into the NFL draft thanks to a strong showing at the Reese’s Senior Bowl. Coming from a small school, the 6’3, 320-pound Warhawk’s versatility to play any interior position should help his stock come draft time. Meinerz helped the offense lead the Wisconsin Intercollegiate Athletic Conference in rushing (195.7 yards per game) and first downs (310), average 30.1 points and 376.7 total yards per game and allow only 21 sacks for the season. Unfortunately, Wisconsin-Whitewater’s 2020 football season was canceled due to COVID.

Drake Jackson, Kentucky
Overall, PFF grades Jackson at 84 — 69.9 pass blocking and 85.7 run blocking. In 1,364 pass plays, he’s allowed just one sack in his Kentucky career (47 games; 44 consecutive starts). He was the anchor of the Wildcats’ offensive line for four seasons and, during his redshirt freshman and sophomore seasons, blocked for current Steelers running back Benny Snell.

In those seasons, Jackson helped Snell become Kentucky’s all-time leading rusher and the first player in school history to rush for 1,000 in three straight seasons. According to Reese’s Senior Bowl executive director Jim Nagy, Jackson separated his shoulder on the second snap of the Senior Bowl but played the rest of the game.

american-football-center-snap-side-cartoon-vector-clipart_csp19740208.jpg

I’ve been wanting a good center for an eternity. It feels that way anyway. They should get one in round 2 or trade back to early round 3 and take one. Meinerz is still a small school guy. Projecting them up too early in the draft is risky. That is a huge jump in competition. I think he’s there in round three, maybe four.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
If the Rams had a bunch of higher round picks I might agree, but I'd rather not burn another draft pick on a later round center AND have to pursue a temporary starter in free agency. I'd prefer we bite the bullet now on a long-term free agent Center and use our limited draft picks elsewhere. jmo.

I’d be very happy with a good Center. I’m not even talking great. Good is much better than what they have. Then draft a guy that can compete at guard and move to center in two years and cut the vet to save cap. Meinerz is perfect for this imo.